Claude! said:
From the DPS site, among other activities, the following use of a farm truck is permitted:
- Transporting the owner's family:
to attend church or school:
to visit a doctor for medical treatment or supplies: or
for other necessities of the home or family.
So a farm truck can be driven for personal non-farm use, though probably not solely personal use.
This is correct. It is also wildly abused. If you are pullimg a boat, or on vacation in Colorado with FT plates, you are abusing the privilige.
The abuse has dropped significantly sinceTexas began requiring that you hold a farm tax exemption to purchase farm truck plates.
Some will tel you that you have to have FT plates to deduct a pickup on income tax forms. Total nonsense. The feds don't care what the state does, and in 45 years of farm tax returns, the question has never been asked.
As far as avoiding taxes, I disagree. You're cheating others who are playing fair. The system was designed to help farmers who might own multiple pickups and trucks, many of which seldom travel public roads. Abuse could lead to the privilege being taken from everyone.
Personally, I used commercial tags on my main pickup, because I did pull a boat, and I didn't want to be limited.
Frankly, if you own a $100,000 pickup or Suburban, and you lie to save $70 a year on tags, you're a jerk