Beto fan Will Ferrell and friend get booed in TX restaurant toasting for trans rights

6,154 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Stupe
TheWoodlandsTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am not surprised at all about this. I was at a comedy show in suburban Texas earlier this year. The comedian is non-political, but made an exception for a few minutes to speak up for common sense and the fact that there are only two genders. The crowd erupted with applause. The crowd was very diverse.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/ferrell-regrets-awkward-texas-restaurant-visit-after-co-star-booed-trans-rights-toast

Actor Will Ferrell said he regrets his visit to a Texas restaurant after his trans co-star, Harper Steele, received an awkward response from diners.

It happened while Ferrell and Steele, a former "Saturday Night Live" head writer, were filming their new Netflix documentary, "Will & Harper," which follows their 17-day road trip across the country "to bond and reintroduce Harper to the country as her true self" after Steele came out as transgender in 2022.

They received what they described as an unexpected and uncomfortable response from diners at a Texas restaurant after Steele mentioned the state hadn't done enough for trans rights, the New York Times reported.

"I'm from Iowa, but I will raise a glass to your great state of Texas," Steele said to a receptive audience of diners at the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, where Ferrell and Steele planned to attempt the restaurant's famous 72-ounce steak challenge.

"I wish you guys would do more for trans rights in this state," Steele added, which silenced the cheers and was met with a few groans from the audience, Chron reported.

"Cheers to Texas and trans rights, right?" Ferrell added. The toast didn't make it into the documentary, but Steele and Ferrell shared their responses to the moment afterward.

"We gave a little toast, and I said something about passing a trans bill, and the room did a kind of reversal and a little bit of a boo and a woman shouted out, 'We still love you.' I hate the phrase," Steele said. "I could be misinterpreting this woman completely, but this is the feeling I had in the room: The 'still' is conditional. You still love me when I finally give up being trans and give my life over to Christ. They still love me even though I'm some kind of sinner or something. I felt that."

"The room started to feel very wrong to me," Steele said in the film. "I was feeling a little like my transness was on display, I guess, and suddenly that sort of made me feel not great."
Courtesy Flush
AG
I saw that this morning and I got a little sense of pride of my fellow Texans. I could not case less of a dude wants to wear a dress and call himself a woman but don't come into my backyard and expect me to go along with your little game. It's a silly little game at best.
Ag CPA
AG
ChatGPT post.
zephyr88
AG
I'm sure Ferrell was just trying to be funny but why would you make a toast to mental illness?
aggiepanic95
AG
That story warms my heart
Ag4life80
AG
No one went to that place that night to have somebody try and shove their twisted views on them. Shameful.
So sick of liberals trying to force their views on others
TheWoodlandsTxAg
Courtesy Flush said:

I saw that this morning and I got a little sense of pride of my fellow Texans. I could not case less of a dude wants to wear a dress and call himself a woman but don't come into my backyard and expect me to go along with your little game. It's a silly little game at best.
Exactly we don't care what you do with your clothing and makeup choices as an adult, but we are not going to cheer for it while we are trying to eat dinner.

We get plenty of DEI and ESG training at work.

We don't need it when we are trying to relax and enjoy a meal.
FIDO*98*
AG
What rights exactly do men pretending to be women or vice versa not have?
centerpole84
The funny thing is he was probably in a room with people for 10-20 other states. Most people eating at the Big Texan are tourists, not locals. It wasn't just Texans being offended that night.
FIDO*98*
AG
Woman or creepy perv man that wants to get into women's locker rooms? Pretty obvious

cavjock88
AG
Why wouldn't you expect that to go over like a lead balloon in Amarillo at the Big Texan? Talk about poor research and site selection and not reading your audience. Out of touch elitists.
zephyr88
AG
centerpole84 said:

The funny thing is he was probably in a room with people for 10-20 other states. Most people eating at the Big Texan are tourists, not locals. It wasn't just Texans being offended that night.
Steak tourism... not even a top steakhouse - should be called the 'Gristle Grille'
Captain Pablo
AG
Quote:

I was feeling a little like my transness was on display

You declare to a room of strangers that Texas needs to bolster "trans rights", you make a documentary about your transness, and then you whine about your transness "being on display"

What the hell?
Rebel Yell
AG
Steele stands up and gives toast highlighting his transness to a crowded restaurant.

Then complains his "transness was on display".

rwtxag83
AG
Go back to California.
Greater love hath no man than this....
BadMoonRisin
AG
You made a netflix documentary about being trans.

You traveled the country to "reintroduce yourself as trans"

You go to a steak restaurant in a conservative area.

You Interupt everyone's meal to give a toast and criticize these people for....reasons.

When people don't like what you said, you get upset because you felt like your "transness was on display."

Well well well if it's not the consequences of your own actions.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
What rights do I have that a trans person doesn't?
Burnsey
AG
Where are my straight white male rights?
TexasAggiesWin
S
People attempting to enjoy their meal at a restaurant do not give a flying **** about what you are and who you want to be. When will these out of touch celebrities realize that just because they think they are special, not everyone else does? They really believe that everyone else must bow down to everything they do and say and think.... or else

BadMoonRisin
AG
You don't need a law to be passed to put on a wig, a dress, and parade around as a grotesque impersonation of a woman.

Do whatever you want. But requiring me to pretend with you or requiring the government to make special accommodations for you is a big no from me dawg.
Viper16
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

You made a netflix documentary about being trans.

You traveled the country to "reintroduce yourself as trans"

You go to a steak restaurant in a conservative area.

You Interupt everyone's meal to give a toast and criticize these people for....reasons.

When people don't like what you said, you get upset because you felt like your "transness was on display."

Well well well if it's not the consequences of your own actions.
Yep.......they didn't expect the reaction, because they live in the fake Hollywood bubble of life!
dmart90
AG
Had Harper left out the dig about Texas politics - I bet they would have had a wonderful evening. Most people have zero f***s to give about whether you transitioned to another gender or not

But no, they have to make it about them. And then they feel insulted?

Dumb.
BlueTaze
What specific "trans rights"? What specific bill?

Sounds more like they were trying trigger some diner folks they had already profiled. Probably so they could get some good footage to stitch together for their show.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Obviously the restaurant wasn't in Austin.
BTKAG97
AG

Quote:

I was feeling a little like my transness was on display
Is he admitting he is not a woman? If not, then why use the word "transness"?

If you are a woman then you need to stop using words that clearly define you as something else.
BTKAG97
AG
cavjock88 said:

Why wouldn't you expect that to go over like a lead balloon in Amarillo at the Big Texan? Talk about poor research and site selection and not reading your audience. Out of touch elitists.
They were most likely expecting a larger negative reaction and were upset they didn't get it. That's how their quotes read and probably why this interaction was left from the "documentary" as it didn't get a better "Borat Reaction".
Kenneth_2003
AG
zephyr88 said:

centerpole84 said:

Steak tourism... not even a top steakhouse - should be called the 'Gristle Grille'

That's the truth. I've eaten there a few times. Once with the parents on a summer road trip/vacation, on a boy scout trip returning from Wyoming, and once with coworkers on our way too Wyoming.

The one time as an adult I was seriously underwhelmed, especially by the food. The epitome of a Sysco truck if there ever was one.
leachfan
I'm sure most people from Amarillo feel that way but do people that live in Amarillo dine at The Big Texan? Or, was the place just full of truck drivers on I-40?
suburban cowboy
AG
Will Ferrel hasn't been funny for 20 years
stetson
AG
Quote:

They still love me even though I'm some kind of sinner or something.

She gets it, but doesn't know she gets it. We love one another despite the sin and we are all sinners.
FJB
CanyonAg77
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Will Ferrel hasn't been funny FOREVER

Fify
FrioAg 00
AG
This is just a spin job by another Hollywood liberal.

He and it aren't even mad that they weren't embraced - they never thought they would be embraced there. They were seeking more controversy.

They are mad because the audience's reaction was basically "Meh" and "We don't agree with you but we still love you"

Hatred really hates it when they receive love instead of the hate they wanted.
CanyonAg77
AG
leachfan said:

I'm sure most people from Amarillo feel that way but do people that live in Amarillo dine at The Big Texan? Or, was the place just full of truck drivers on I-40?

Only time I've been there is with out of town guests who insisted on going. Mediocre steaks for premium prices

But the owner and earlier, his late father, tirelessly promote Amarillo for the last 50 years. Credit to them for that

Best steakhouse in the Panhandle: Double XL north of Lake Meredith.

Best in Amarillo: Aggie-owned Hoffbrau
CanyonAg77
AG
cavjock88 said:

He could have said @God bless America and Donald Trump" and people still would have been grumpy that their meal was interrupted
TheWoodlandsTxAg
suburban cowboy said:

Will Ferrel hasn't been funny for 20 years
I would say 12 years because I liked the Campaign however Galifianakis was just as good in that movie.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.