Asheville and Western North Carolina, Tennessee, and South Caroline damage from Helen

12,203 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by ToddyHill
Nanomachines son
How long do you want to ignore this user?

What has happened there from Helene may be on the level of Katrina in New Orleans. There has been barely any contact in or out from many of these areas. All roads are either washed away or flooded, power is down, cell service is down, and it appears that it's far worse than initial reports.

These videos look catastrophic. I'm not sure how anyone could survive a violently rushing flash flood of that much water coming down the mountain.
redcrayon
AG
Devastating. A beautiful part of the country with great people.
C@LAg
well, no surprise.

It is Deplorables country there so the White House and the Kamal campaign have zero #&$^75 to give.
Nanomachines son

This is going to take months to years to fix!
jt2hunt
AG
I am certain that Kamala and Joe will find up to $700 per family, like Maui!
deadhead aggie
AG
reporting from Johnson City, TN….major interstate from the Tri-Cities TN area to Asheville is wiped-out….our access to the Carolinas took a serious blow…went to the grocery this morning and it's evident that deliveries of inventory are impacted…lots of people still missing….

i went through Ike, Harvey, Katrina, Alicia, etc. in Texas….this one caught everybody off-guard….gonna be a long recovery…
YouBet
AG
We should put all the illegals to work there to repair everything and then deport them.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Jackal99
AG
My brother lives in Kingsport. Said it isn't too terrible there but is worse further south.
PCC_80
AG
Quote:

Is the Fed Govt even aware of this ? ? Hard to tell since I have not seen any sign of concern on a Fed. Level.

I have a really bad feeling that the Dems/Libs are going to slow walk any aid and be chinchy about how much they send.
Nanomachines son
rocky the dog said:

Nanomachines son
deadhead aggie said:

reporting from Johnson City, TN….major interstate from the Tri-Cities TN area to Asheville is wiped-out….our access to the Carolinas took a serious blow…went to the grocery this morning and it's evident that deliveries of inventory are impacted…lots of people still missing….

i went through Ike, Harvey, Katrina, Alicia, etc. in Texas….this one caught everybody off-guard….gonna be a long recovery…

Yeah this double whammy was unprecedented and caught everyone off guard. It's going to take a long time to recover and I suspect a lot more people are going to add to the death toll.
AggieKatie2
AG
Office is ok near downtown Asheville and has power, but outside of that, not hearing much yet.
deadhead aggie
AG
Biltmore? Grove Park Inn?
Aggie Jurist
AG
I live in Mountain City TN. The devastation is indescribable. We are on generator power with no net, but escaped major damage. The people in the valleys OTHH - massive damage. Every road in is washed out. Helicopters everywhere flying in supplies and people out.
LGB
Nanomachines son

This is what many of the roads look like in the area.
AggieKatie2
AG
Right by Biltmore in downtown
TAMUallen
AG
deadhead aggie said:

Biltmore? Grove Park Inn?

Saw a video earlier with the entrance to Biltmore flooded
AggieKatie2
AG
The office is in this area of Asheville (just so we are on same page)

deadhead aggie
AG
got it…here's to a quick recovery and turn-around for your town…great place !!
Nanomachines son

It's clear most of these people had little to no warning at all. This is a nightmare scenario that you cannot prepare for at all.
TRM
AG
Nanomachines son said:

It's clear most of these people had little to no warning at all. This is a nightmare scenario that you cannot prepare for at all.
This was pretty well predicted storm from the track to the magnitude at the beginning of the week.

Now, I believe they weren't prepared for the possible fall out from the roads washing out to the flooding, but that's pretty much an impossibility to account for the flooding or washed out roads.
Independence H-D
The FEMA USAR response is one of the largest ever. Only possibility eclipsed by Harvey. The information below is as of a couple days ago. At least 2 more teams from the West have been deployed since then.

Thank you to one of our amazing page members that compiled this list.

There has been a lot of moving parts in a short amount of time, this is by far the most comprehensive list we've seen.

This is informational only and NOT an official list so please forgive any omissions or errors. It shows the scale of response engaged and does not include all the local resources, ambulance response or animal rescue response. We are grateful for all of the groups and individuals assisting!

Florida:
FEMA Blue USAR Incident Support Team and East IST Cache
Florida Task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 person) - State Deployment of State/Federal Shared Asset
Florida Task Force 2 - Type 1 (80 person) - State Deployment of State/Federal Shared Asset
Virginia Task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 person) - Federal Deployment
Virginia Task Force 2 - Type 1 (80 person) - Federal Deployment
Ohio Task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 person) - Federal Deployment
Tennessee Task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 person) - Federal Deployment
Texas task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 person) - Federal Deployment
Indiana Task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 person) - Federal Deployment
Florida Task Force 6 - Type 3 (45 person) - State Deployment
Florida Task Force 8 Type 3 (45 person) State Deployment
Mississippi Task Force 1 - Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) - EMAC Deployment
Vermont Task Force 1 - Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) - EMAC Deployment
Kansas Task Force 1 Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) EMAC Deployment
Ohio Task Force 1 Type 1 Team (80 person)
Oklahoma Task Force 1 Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) EMAC Deployment
Florida Task Force 4 Type 3 Task Force (45 person) State Deployment

Georgia:
Maryland Task Force 1 - Type 3 (45 person) - Federal Deployment
Missouri Task Force 1- Type 3 (45 person) - Federal Deployment
Utah Task Force 1 Type 3 (45 person) Federal Deployment

North Carolina:
North Carolina Task Forces 1 through 11 all activated at various capacities for state level deployments
Massachusetts Task Force 1 - Type 3 (45 Person) - Federal Deployment
New York Task Force 1 - Type 3 (45 Person) - Federal Deployment
New Jersey Task Force 1 - Type 1 (80 Person) - Federal Deployment
Pennsylvania Task Force 1 - Type 3 (45 Person) - Federal Deployment
Illinois Task Force 1 - Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) - EMAC Deployment
Illinois Swif****er Rescue 1 Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) EMAC Deployment
Michigan Task Force 1 - Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) - EMAC Deployment
Massachusetts Task Force 1 Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 Person) Federal Deployment (this is in addition to their Type 3 team)
Alabama Task Force 1 Type 1 Swif****er Team (18 person) EMAC Deployment
Indiana Division 201 Type 2 Swif****er Team (11 person) EMAC Deployment
California Task Force 8 Type 3 (45 person) Federal Deployment
Wisconsin Task Force 1 Type 1 Swif****er (18 person) EMAC Deployment

Tennessee:
Colorado Task Force 1 - Type 3 (45 Person) - Federal Deployment
Nebraska Task Force 1 - Type 3 (45 Person) - Federal Deployment

South Carolina:
All state and local Technical Rescue/Swif****er Rescue resources activated at various levels to support response
Louisiana TF 2 Type 1 Swif****er (18 person) EMAC
Louisiana TF 3 Type 3 Task Force (45 person) EMAC
Sq 17
Nobody is ever prepared for 15 + inches of rain
TRM
AG
And I said that.
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
Was coming here to create a post but saw this one. I am in far northwest Tennessee but the reports from friends in East Tennessee are devastating. This catastrophic flooding didn't just affect one or two towns. The damage is widespread throughout East Tennessee and the western Carolinas.
Heartbreaking.

BassCowboy33
Nanomachines son said:

What has happened there from Helene may be on the level of Katrina in New Orleans. There has been barely any contact in or out from many of these areas. All roads are either washed away or flooded, power is down, cell service is down, and it appears that it's far worse than initial reports.

These videos look catastrophic. I'm not sure how anyone could survive a violently rushing flash flood of that much water coming down the mountain.
I got stationed out in Athens, because that's where we figured this part of Helene would go, but then it tracked even further east at the last minute. Athens wound up with nothing but some fallen trees and downed lines.

[Do not quote a post with 8 X links embedded simply to add your two sentences of text. It clutters up the thread and is very inconsiderate to other posters trying to follow the story -- Staff]
Nanomachines son
TRM said:

Nanomachines son said:

This was pretty well predicted storm from the track to the magnitude at the beginning of the week.

Now, I believe they weren't prepared for the possible fall out from the roads washing out to the flooding, but that's pretty much an impossibility to account for the flooding or washed out roads.

Along Florida yes, in North Carolina and Tennessee? No way. You are delusional if you think a completely unprecedented flooding event was predicted. Harvey's predictions did actually hit 60" in some areas like the predictions. This way exceeded the 15-25" predictions. They got 45" of rain in 48 hours from a combo of two systems: a cutoff low and Helene.
Nanomachines son
Sq 17 said:

Nobody is ever prepared for 15 + inches of rain

This was way higher than 15". A few mountain top areas got 40+". It's why so many videos are of washouts and more. Mountain rain with flash flooding is far more vicious than flat plain flooding like during Harvey.
Nanomachines son

This is really really bad. FEMA is incapable of reaching many of these areas because they are only accessible by air. We need national guard help desperately here.
zephyr88
AG
At this point, we should halt all international aid until we take care of our own.

This is devastating across so many states, and there is another storm brewing this week.
bkag9824
AG
Own a rental cabin in Bryson City, thankfully no damage to it. But the general area is nothing short of devastated.

If you have friends or family that live in the area please share my Airbnb profile and have them contact me if they need a place to stay. Have bills to pay so will keep rates low, not looking to make a significant profit off them.

Username at Hotmail.

airbnb.com/h/trilliumway
Nanomachines son

I have seen no repeat videos at all. Just post after post of new videos from different people in different areas. This is Harvey all over again but much worse.
Logos Stick
Has Harris come out yet and blamed climate change?
Nanomachines son
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.