Making work place more accommodating to working moms and dad

7,853 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by backintexas2013
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JD Vance was on with Megan Kelly and said it's messed up how we have a society where young people don't want kids because it will hinder their career. So he said we should make the work place more accommodating for parents who want to work. He didn't say how in the interview but likely means paid leave or job security while out.

Sounds like build back Better plan from few years ago. I'm thinking in the next 4 years there will be federal paid year since both sides support it.
C@LAg
if you cannot afford kids, do not have kids.

and eliminate the child tax credit as well.
Schneider Electric
You got him now
Dan Scott
AG
Pick your poison. More immigrants to increase population for federal programs to encourage more births.
TA-OP
Dan Scott said:

Sounds like build back Better plan from few years ago. I'm thinking in the next 4 years there will be federal paid year since both sides support it.

When it comes to paid family leave or making early childcare more affordable, it's only ever been the occasional lip service from the GOP.
C@LAg
Dan Scott said:

Pick your poison. More immigrants to increase population for federal programs to encourage more births.
less illegals in the country means less federal and state dollars covering and subsidizing their illegal asses.

yes prices will rise, but an equilibrium will eventually be set while we work to fix our broken visa system and can kick them out when their visa expire.
LOYAL AG
AG
C@LAg said:

This isn't working out well. All of human history features population growth as a primary driver of economic growth and that is ending right before our eyes and we don't have a plan for the era we're entering.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I work for a company that, prior to our merger the other half was entirely Canadian based. The Canada employees, obviously, still have Canadian benefits.

Gal on the sales team was gone for an entire year when she popped out a kid. I completely forgot she worked for us.

Our asset manager just this week had her second baby. We were chatting a month or so ago. She obviously wants more time than she's getting in the US, but even she felt that a full year is WAY too long.
Kraft Punk
It already exists...

It's called work from home....

Companies run by intelligent people have adopted wfh full time.....

TA-OP
Kraft Punk said:

It already exists...

Tell me you've never raised an infant or toddler without saying so.
C@LAg
LOYAL AG said:

C@LAg said:

This isn't working out well. All of human history features population growth as a primary driver of economic growth and that is ending right before our eyes and we don't have a plan for the era we're entering.
and spending ourselves to oblivion via social security and all sorts of federal and state benefits, including the nonsense in the OP, via issuing debt will eventually crash us regardless of population growth.

and we end up in the same place.

and there are options to allowing illegals unfettered access to the US.

automation and AI will be able to produce many things in the future requiring less people to do so.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Kraft Punk said:

It already exists...

Lol try again. How's a company culture supposed to resonate when everyone works from home? People who are about to be replaced by AI WFH 100%
backintexas2013
AG
TA-OP said:

Dan Scott said:

When it comes to paid family leave or making early childcare more affordable, it's only ever been the occasional lip service from the GOP.

Thank goodness. We shouldn't be paying for it. If you want to pay for it more power to you.
aggiehawg
AG
C@LAg said:

My quibble with that is we wat to incentivize married couples to have children. One of the reasons there are tax deductions for dependents.

I would be okay with tax deductions for child care at licensed facilities or within the work place. Incentivize employers to either have such facilities or deductions for giving employees stipends for same.

My reasoning is that could kill two birds, encouraging a return to the workplace from WFH to help the cratering commercial real estate market (indirectly).
Dan Scott
AG
There will be a compromise. In return for tougher immigration there will be federal incentives for childcare. My prediction in next 4 years.
C@LAg
backintexas2013 said:

TA-OP said:

Dan Scott said:

Thank goodness. We shouldn't be paying for it. If you want to pay for it more power to you.
just wait. he will be calling for the fedgov to cover mortgages next.
backintexas2013
AG
And cars too. Takes too long to take public transportation so cars are a right
backintexas2013
AG
Liberals love to spend other people's money. They could easily adopt a family and pay for that family's childcare
TA-OP
Give me a break. You're just making stuff up because you can't help but try and dunk on a liberal.
backintexas2013
AG
Why should the feds pay for those things? If not the feds are you wanting companies to be forced to pay for it?

Why not mortgages? Think of the money people could have to spend on things
Logos Stick
backintexas2013 said:

And cars too. Takes too long to take public transportation so cars are a right

They are idiots. If someone else has to work or pay to provide it, it's not a right.
Jack Boyette
Kraft Punk said:

It already exists...

For lower level people that aren't producers, maybe. For producers and highly paid people, it doesn't.
Jack Boyette
Dan Scott said:

There will be a compromise. In return for tougher immigration there will be federal incentives for childcare. My prediction in next 4 years.

There shouldn't be. Nobody else should pay for your ****ing childcare. That's why Republicans don't "offer a solution." The government shouldn't be involved at all.
BoydCrowder13
My wife stayed home after the kids were born and I paid to put the kids in pre-school as well. I do acknowledge that for multiple reasons, this is an outlier in modern America. We had children before many of my friends and many of them still have both parents working.

I can acknowledge the following as well:

It is difficult to pull off the single income family in 2024 (especially if you are younger than 30).

Childcare is extremely expensive.

Fewer people are having children in developed countries across the world. This will have huge economic impacts in future years.

That is the problem. It is becoming increasingly hard to afford children. There are fewer people having children as a result.

You can hope for a societal change (which I wish would happen) or try to incentivize the solution.
BrazosDog02
AG
As a Gen X, I completely and totally enjoy the forced changes for the better that the Millennials have brought on. Time for the old farts to get pushed out the door and make some real changes for the better. Companies will be forced to make good changes or they will die. Easy peasy.
backintexas2013
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

As a Gen X, I completely and totally enjoy the forced changes for the better that the Millennials have brought on. Time for the old farts to get pushed out the door and make some real changes for the better.

What's for the better? Paid leave for children? Who pays? Company forced to pay or government?
Get Off My Lawn
Best way to be keep career from interfering with having kids? Stay at home mom. Govt's role in that is to set conditions that make it easier to support a family on a single income. Working moms ain't the dream.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Best way to be keep career from interfering with having kids? Stay at home mom. Govt's role in that is to set conditions that make it easier to support a family on a single income. Working moms ain't the dream.

Exactly.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
agsalaska
AG
He is fundamentally right. I tis stupid that we as a society push off having kids. The average mother should have her fist child as a late teenager and be done by 25. That would be the most natural thing for the human body to do.

Instead we create all of these artificial barriers and wait way too late creating all kinds of not only health challenges but natural replacement challenges as well. It is silly and unnatural.

Now, donn't get me wrong, I have no idea if anyone has a decent plan to fix this. Probably not.
Jack Boyette
BrazosDog02 said:

As a Gen X, I completely and totally enjoy the forced changes for the better that the Millennials have brought on. Time for the old farts to get pushed out the door and make some real changes for the better. Companies will be forced to make good changes or they will die. Easy peasy.

Yeah, what do the "old farts" know? It's not like they have more life experience than you.

You and I are the same age. I don't know anyone my age who's even moderately successful that thinks what you just said.
Logos Stick
BrazosDog02 said:

I weep for the future as you envision it. It'll be all kinds of ****ed up.
TA-OP
Didn't the Trump admin support a paid family leave bill through the Senate toward the end of his term? If his admin does it again, so you really have faith that all the Congressional GOP lemmings won't just fall in line behind him?
backintexas2013
AG
TA-OP said:

Didn't the Trump admin support a paid family leave bill through the Senate toward the end of his term? If his admin does it again, so you really have faith that all the Congressional GOP lemmings won't just fall in line behind him?

Hope not. It's not ok. It's not what our federal government should do and I hope it goes to USSC if they try.

You seem to avoid so much. You never answer questions.
Gigem314
AG
Schneider Electric said:

You got him now
REEEEE!
deddog
AG
TA-OP said:

Dan Scott said:

This is a pathetic take.
I want to have more kids but the GOP won't help??? Is there anything democrats can do without getting government involved??

Here's a novel idea - hear me out - If you have a nuclear family, you don't need childcare. Mom or dad stays at home with the child. . Problem solved. Live frugally. Make wise choices.
Oh and don't vote a moron in , who stokes inflation, causes high gas prices and taxes you out the wazoo to fight wars for Ukraine and to provide health care for illegals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.