Lithium battery factory is on fire in the South Korean city of Hwaseong

6,366 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by IIIHorn
Tramp96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

Can't begin to describe how beautiful the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia used to be in the 1970s with all the flares at night.
All I see is wasted dollars.
When I was a kid I would ask my dad why they were burning the gas off instead of using it (yes, I asked more than once because I was a snot-nosed punk who would pester his father with the same question).

His response was that the gas being burned off wasn't usable.

My response was if they are able to burn it, couldn't they use that heat to boil some water for a steam plant?

He said it didn't work that way and would leave it at that. Probably because that was the limit of his knowledge on the subject (and subsequently mine now as well).
HollywoodBQ
AG
CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

Can't begin to describe how beautiful the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia used to be in the 1970s with all the flares at night.
The 70s man.

By the 1980s, flares were few and far between and if a flare was burning it usually meant there was an upset condition at the plant.

But in the 70s, it was glorious.
fixer
CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

All I see is 5+ reports due in 24 hours, and 17 meetings in a week with people in Houston that have combined total of 5 years field experience.
MouthBQ98
AG
Korean birth rate is abysmal so they need young immigrants for labor.
eric76
AG
Tramp96 said:

CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

When I was a kid I would ask my dad why they were burning the gas off instead of using it (yes, I asked more than once because I was a snot-nosed punk who would pester his father with the same question).

My response was if they are able to burn it, couldn't they use that heat to boil some water for a steam plant?

He said it didn't work that way and would leave it at that. Probably because that was the limit of his knowledge on the subject (and subsequently mine now as well).
A nearby gas plant will vent gas and burn it occasionally, as needed. There was never any advance warning or schedule as far as I could tell. If it was at night, it was often loud enough that it could wake me up eight miles away.

An employee there told me about one day when they vented gas, another employee yelled and pointed to the south. There was a B-52 about 1/4 mile away and it had to take evasive action to avoid the flames that went up higher than it was flying.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
JJxvi
AG
Its more likely that this plant does nothing that has anything to do with vehicles and all these posts railing on EV should be railing on the how their electric tools, alarm sensors, remote controls, cell phones, laptops and car keys are the downfall of society. Its more likely this place is making/recycling AAs or whatever than anything to do with cars.
Nanomachines son
Tramp96 said:

CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

It's all usable, the problem is and always has been infrastructure to bring to gas processing plants.
ts5641
Clean energy
IIIHorn

Do the employees of a battery plant have to be bipolar?

eric76
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Tramp96 said:

CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

It's all usable, the problem is and always has been infrastructure to bring to gas processing plants.
This is a processing plant.
Hoyt Ag
AG
His point remains, the gas is usable. There are a number of reasons it is flared off though, depending on the downstream infrastructure, type of plant, storage, etc.
Jock 07
AG
Must've dropped one between the seats. Should've asked for the attendant's help instead of moving the chair to look for it.
Corner Post
EVs are unattractive, not "cool," not "fun," and are a danger from start to finish.

At all points, from mining for lithium to end-of-life car disposal, EVs are a major threat to the environment, but particularly to groundwater.

Anyone defending EVs are self-absorbed narcissists.
doubledog
BQ_90 said:

neAGle96 said:

Green energy
that smoke is carbon neutral
4Li + O2 ---> 2Li2O You are right.
Faustus
Yeah I noticed the article was a little heavy handed with the allegory.

According to this site South Korea had over 400k illegal immigrants in 2022:

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/south-korea-to-launch-crackdown-against-illegal-immigrants-next-week/3008195

Quote:

. . .
In 2022, the number of illegal immigrants in the Southeast Asian country were 411,270, compared with 355,126 in 2018.
They caught 38k of them in 2023.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20231214007200315
Quote:

The government's crackdown on foreigners staying or working illegally in South Korea netted about 38,000 people this year, the largest number ever, the Ministry of Justice said Thursday.

This year's crackdown was carried out three times and the third one was conducted from Oct. 10 to Dec. 9, during which a total of 7,255 undocumented migrant workers were caught, the ministry said. Of them, 6,532 people were forced or ordered to leave the country and 159 others were fined, it said.

The ministry said 1,653 employers were caught hiring the illegal immigrants. In addition, 21 brokers who arranged for illegal immigrants to be employed were caught and eight of them were put under arrest.

Thirteen illegal immigrants were caught taking or selling drugs and will be deported after due criminal proceedings, the ministry noted.
. . .
South Korea's illegal immigration appears to have less law breakers than ours mixed in. At least as reported by their government.
techno-ag
AG
JJxvi said:

Its more likely that this plant does nothing that has anything to do with vehicles and all these posts railing on EV should be railing on the how their electric tools, alarm sensors, remote controls, cell phones, laptops and car keys are the downfall of society. It's more likely this place is making/recycling AAs or whatever than anything to do with cars.

Lithium batteries are the scourge of the environment no matter what they're used in. But the two and a half ton virtue vehicles driven around by leftists so proud of "saving the environment" while at the same time contributing to the ecological disaster lithium mining has become, are insufferably smug. Fires like this need to be pointed out to them and others to combat their green lies and misconceptions.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
No Spin Ag
Corner Post said:

EVs are unattractive, not "cool," not "fun," and are a danger from start to finish.

At all points, from mining for lithium to end-of-life car disposal, EVs are a major threat to the environment, but particularly to groundwater.

Anyone defending EVs are self-absorbed narcissists.

I've got Elon Musk on line one.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
one safe place
I wonder if they could built several hundred windmill things, like a 300 acre windfarm, and then like a 400 acre solar grid to provide power to the windmills and the draw all the oxygen away from the EV battery fire and put it out, lol.
eric76
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

His point remains, the gas is usable. There are a number of reasons it is flared off though, depending on the downstream infrastructure, type of plant, storage, etc.
They have plenty of capacity and demand for the natural gas.

I would guess that the gases they are flaring are poison gasses such as hydrogen sulfide.
CDUB98
AG
eric76 said:

Hoyt Ag said:

I would guess that the gases they are flaring are poison gasses such as hydrogen sulfide.

You really, REALLY should not challenge Hoyt on this. Your grandkids will be wondering why their spleen hurts.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Ok buddy. Whatever you say. Keep guessing, because you do not know a damn thing about gas processing plants.
eric76
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Ok buddy. Whatever you say. Keep guessing, because you do not know a damn thing about gas processing plants.
So what do they do with the hydrogen sulfide?
TexAg1987
Best use that I have heard of was some enterprising aggies taking the gas on-site to power a small bit coin mining operation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/12/23-year-old-texans-made-4-million-mining-bitcoin-off-flared-natural-gas.html
Hoyt Ag
AG
How do you know it was that? What plant are we talking about? There are several acid gas plants that can reinject it into the ground for instance. That is one option.

Just stop now. Seriously. You dont know what you are talking about.
eric76
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

How do you know it was that? What plant are we talking about? There are several acid gas plants that can reinject it into the ground for instance. That is one option.

I didn't claim to know what the gases are.

Come to think of it, though, as toxic as hydrogen sulfide is, it doesn't seem likely that they would burn it off if here was any possibility of the igniter failing.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Come to think of it, though, as toxic as hydrogen sulfide is, it doesn't seem likely that they would burn it off if here was any possibility of the igniter failing.
I...I...I just can't even.
Hoyt Ag
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Yeah, I am done here. WOW. I guess those amine treaters are doing it wrong.
Aggie95
AG
https://www.bbc.com/news/videos/cgllkjexkrgo

video of fire origin

Tramp96
CDUB98 said:

eric76 said:

Hoyt Ag said:

You really, REALLY should not challenge Hoyt on this. Your grandkids will be wondering why their spleen hurts.

Ok, you just made me literally laugh out loud. I need to remember that one for future use.
Nanomachines son
eric76 said:

Nanomachines son said:

Tramp96 said:

CDUB98 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

This is a processing plant.

That picture is a small flare at a production site. That is not a gas processing flare. Those flares are huge and much much taller than a storage tank, which is what you see in that picture.
Nanomachines son
eric76 said:

Hoyt Ag said:

I didn't claim to know what the gases are.

H2S is constantly flared from amine units at processing plants. You clearly do not work in the industry.
Nanomachines son
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

The guys on the Business thread "Houston we have a problem" may actually have a stroke reading that post.
Corner Post
Sometimes it is better to be quiet and thought a moron rather than speaking and removing all doubt
Ghost Mech

And now we have what really happened......

Public service announcement - Don't try to be a hero with a fire extinguisher in a Lithium battery plant. You see fire, tell everyone to GET OUT, the insurance can pay for the rest.
Logos Stick
eric76 said:

Hoyt Ag said:

Chemical plants flare raw material feedstock from pipelines as a normal part of the manufacturing process all the time, e.g. production interruption.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.