Lithium battery factory is on fire in the South Korean city of Hwaseong

6,297 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by IIIHorn
Ghost Mech
How long do you want to ignore this user?

thats going to be a tough fire to put out.

Best Korea doing the espionage work China won't or just a simple industrial accident?

20 dead 20 missing. That fire had to spread really fast.....i.e. explosion
neAGle96
AG
Green energy
BQ_90
AG
neAGle96 said:

Green energy
that smoke is carbon neutral
Rapier108
Most likely caused by a human foul up or equipment failure. When working with flammable materials, there is little margin for error.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
nortex97
AG
I know many of us chuckle at the EV politics angle but wow, very sad for the 22 people/those injured. Thermal run away is primarily a problem for completed cells/batteries, so hopefully not too much of that further happens here.
Tramp96
"Cause of the fire is not specified"

In my best Norm McDonald voice...

"The cause is lithium batteries."
techno-ag
AG
A factory robot killed a worker in S. Korea not long ago, too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/industrial-robot-crushes-worker-dead-south-korea/
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Aggie Infantry
AG
They are going to need a bigger fire engine...
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
CDUB98
AG
I'm definitely interested in this.

What caused it?

How the hell are they going to put it out?
techno-ag
AG
Tramp96 said:

"Cause of the fire is not specified"

In my best Norm McDonald voice...

"The cause is lithium batteries."

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
CDUB98 said:

What caused it?

Probably water.
Probably not water.
2023NCAggies
Probably more pollution in that fire than an entire year of all oil and gas pollution
Aggie95
AG
Li-ion fires are among the most challenging. Incredibly difficult to get under control...the only real hope is that it doesn't cascade beyond initial area, but in a close environment like a mfg plant that is almost impossible.

side note....for those that live in mid-rises or high-rises with attached parking garages (usually on the first few floors...sitting underneath the living units)....you might want to scan the garage and see how many ev's are in there.
Aggie95
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

CDUB98 said:

What caused it?

Probably water.
Probably not water.
there's not enough water in Korea to put that out. You simply have to let it burn and do your best to keep nearby structures and hazards from catching fire.

Most fire departments will no longer put water on an EV fire. It takes an incredible amount to make a minimal impact....plus you have the issue of contaminated runoff.
techno-ag
AG
Aggie95 said:

Li-ion fires are among the most challenging. Incredibly difficult to get under control...the only real hope is that it doesn't cascade beyond initial area, but in a close environment like a mfg plant that is almost impossible.

side note....for those that live in mid-rises or high-rises with attached parking garages (usually on the first few floors...sitting underneath the living units)....you might want to scan the garage and see how many ev's are in there.
And this is why we don't buy or drive Teslas or other EVs.

Well, one of the reasons.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
CDUB98
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

CDUB98 said:

What caused it?

Probably water.
Probably not water.
Well, yes, those are my initial thoughts as well.

Water and alkalis don't get along well at all, but I'm guessing this plant/process is set up in a manner to keep water and pure lithium separate, with no ability to interact.

And, most of us know they can't use water to put it out, but I'm highly doubtful there is enough foam around for that size of fire. They may have to just let this one consume itself.
txwxman
2023NCAggies said:

Probably more pollution in that fire than an entire year of all oil and gas pollution

Laughable
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Aggie95 said:

I never thought of that. You may be prophetic in this. I could see one of those libtopia high rise apartment complexes going up like a matchstick in a place like Austin because of one of those electric cars catching fire below. Sadly, just like the "vaccine" it will take death before someone figures out how wrong they were.
CDUB98
AG
txwxman said:

2023NCAggies said:

Laughable
You brought about as much verifiable data as the post to which you responded.
B-1 83
AG
Heard somewhere that most of the killed were Chinese workers. Plenty more where those came from, and I'm sure ChYna will be more than happy to send more. You know…….to save the planet like only the ChiComs can.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
MouthBQ98
AG
China probably supplied the ignition source: damaged lithium battery, the fuel: piles of lithium batteries, and the victims.
Logos Stick
ICE plants blow up and catch fire just as often as EV battery plants.
MouthBQ98
AG
The problem isn't fire frequency. The problem is the means required to extinguish the reaction causing or sustaining the fire.

Most common means to extinguish a fire do not work on a runaway lithium fire. Water makes it worse. It is usually too hot to smother, and it doesn't need much if any outside oxygen. The solution is usually to try to isolate it from other flammables and let the reaction consume all the fuel. This means you can't put out the fire/reaction to limit damage or save trapped people.
Logos Stick
MouthBQ98 said:

The problem isn't fire frequency. The problem is the means required to extinguish the reaction causing or sustaining the fire.

Most common means to extinguish a fire do not work on a runaway lithium fire. Water makes it worse. It is usually too hot to smother, and it doesn't need much if any outside oxygen. The solution is usually to try to isolate it from other flammables and let the reaction consume all the fuel. This means you can't put out the fire/reaction to limit damage or save trapped people.

I was being sarcastic.

Yes, lithium batteries contain their own oxygen - LiCoO2 - and thus you have to simply let them burn out.

The argument from EV folks about EV fires is that gas vehicles catch on fire just as often.
techno-ag
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Aggie95 said:

I never thought of that. You may be prophetic in this. I could see one of those libtopia high rise apartment complexes going up like a matchstick in a place like Austin because of one of those electric cars catching fire below. Sadly, just like the "vaccine" it will take death before someone figures out how wrong they were.

Or … the media will lie and tell us a traditional gasoline vehicle caught on fire and burned the building down. Got to control the narrative.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
HollywoodBQ
AG
Seems strange that such a high percentage of the staff was Chinese.
Logos Stick
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

Aggie95 said:

Like the vaccine? Libs still defend Fauci and the vax to this day.

An EV induced fire could burn down half the city of NY and they would still believe. Libs live by feels, not data.
Faustus
HollywoodBQ said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/24/world/asia/lithium-battery-fire-south-korea.html
Quote:

. . .
Kim Jin-young, an official with the Hwaseong Fire Department, said 102 people had been working in the factory, owned by the battery maker Aricell, when the fire broke out. The 22 victims included 18 migrants from China and one from Laos, as well as two South Koreans.
. . .
The dead migrant workers were temporary hires who were likely unfamiliar with the structure of the building, he said. "The smoke was so toxic you could lose your consciousness after taking one or two breaths," Mr. Jo said.

Chinese, including ethnic Koreans, are the biggest group of migrant workers in South Korea. Of 523,000 foreigners visiting South Korea on temporary work visas according to government data released late last year, more than 100,000 were from China.

Separately, hundreds of thousands of Korean Chinese are working in South Korea on special longer-term work visas that the country grants to ethnic Koreans living abroad.

After suffering low birthrates for decades, South Korea has become increasingly dependent on migrant workers to fill jobs shunned by locals. Many farms and small factories in industrial towns like Hwaseong could not operate without such migrant workers.
. . .
Staff might be too strong a word for the unfortunate migrant workers.
Secolobo
AG
But God forbid...

HollywoodBQ
AG
Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

Can't begin to describe how beautiful the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia used to be in the 1970s with all the flares at night.
Tramp96
Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

I miss the smell of crude oil in the morning.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Faustus said:

HollywoodBQ said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/24/world/asia/lithium-battery-fire-south-korea.html
Quote:

. . .
Kim Jin-young, an official with the Hwaseong Fire Department, said 102 people had been working in the factory, owned by the battery maker Aricell, when the fire broke out. The 22 victims included 18 migrants from China and one from Laos, as well as two South Koreans.
. . .
The dead migrant workers were temporary hires who were likely unfamiliar with the structure of the building, he said. "The smoke was so toxic you could lose your consciousness after taking one or two breaths," Mr. Jo said.

Chinese, including ethnic Koreans, are the biggest group of migrant workers in South Korea. Of 523,000 foreigners visiting South Korea on temporary work visas according to government data released late last year, more than 100,000 were from China.

Separately, hundreds of thousands of Korean Chinese are working in South Korea on special longer-term work visas that the country grants to ethnic Koreans living abroad.

After suffering low birthrates for decades, South Korea has become increasingly dependent on migrant workers to fill jobs shunned by locals. Many farms and small factories in industrial towns like Hwaseong could not operate without such migrant workers.
. . .
Staff might be too strong a word for the unfortunate migrant workers.
Thanks for the extra detail.

A lot of that NYT language about "migrants" sounds like they're trying to be soft on what is happening with our border.
Quote:

Hwaseong could not operate without such migrant workers
However, it's interesting that they state that these Chinese workers are in South Korea on work visas.
Quote:

Of 523,000 foreigners visiting South Korea on temporary work visas according to government data released late last year, more than 100,000 were from China.

CDUB98
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Secolobo said:

But God forbid...

Can't begin to describe how beautiful the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia used to be in the 1970s with all the flares at night.
All I see is wasted dollars.
Secolobo
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.