DeSantis with Another Win - Medicaid

5,285 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Ag with kids
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

A wise man named Murray Finke was on the EPISD school board and he coordinated a surprise re-verification of residency for all enrollees at the new elementary school the week before classes were to begin. Suddenly, faced with providing a second verification of residency, the enrollment dropped 20%. Asking the question can be an effective deterrent, especially if documentation is required.
An actual reverification is way different than asking a question that the person getting the question knows there is zero consequences for lying.

Seems like apples and oranges to me.
vansprinkle
AG
akm91 said:

Did you miss the part where the tweet mentioned there's 2 months left in the fiscal year?

I sure did! I totally missed the fine print!

So basically going to end up spending about 1/2 of what they did the year before. That's amazing.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Stressboy said:

At 67 mil so far it looks like it's on pace for almost $140 mil which was last years number. Can we please focus on real wins.

There is two months left in the fiscal year. It's projected to be about a 50% decrease in expenses YOY.
akm91
AG
Stressboy said:

At 67 mil so far it looks like it's on pace for almost $140 mil which was last years number. Can we please focus on real wins.
You think they'll payout $73M in 2 fiscal months when they've only spent $67M in 10 fiscal months? Really?
Muy
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Ron, I deeply apologize that the GOP is full of emotional children that were played like a fiddle by the media to choose "we're gonna get revenge!" over a true conservative with an actual record of getting it done

What's the problem with Trump continuing to bulldoze through the swamp for 4 years and then Ron winning in 2028?
agrams
AG
fair question: if immigration enforcement is the scope of the federal government (and they get really pissy when states try to engage in enforcing it), could a state sue the federal government for damages as the result of the federal government blatantly disregarding the laws?
Stressboy
AG
Science Denier said:

Stressboy said:

To be fair, with the massive increase in health care cost, just keeping it flat would be a pretty big win.

Valid but not a big win.
AggieMD95
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Documenting immigration status is a deterrent in itself because there is a nonzero chance that a President will be elected who will actually deprt illegals.

When I lived in El Paso in 1999, R.E. Thompson Hospital was providing $74 million annually in routine care in the ER to non-citizens that the city made no attempt to collect or deter. That was when Beto's daddy was on the city council and it was already a Democrat uniparty city government.

I'd bet the problem has quadrupled since

At the same time we used to call John sealy hospital in Galveston Hotel UTMB because it was nearly impossible to discharge the illegals once they got admitted there. Too many psychosocial needs to consider. They loved the room service
Viper16
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Ron, I deeply apologize that the GOP is full of emotional children that were played like a fiddle by the media to choose "we're gonna get revenge!" over a true conservative with an actual record of getting it done
Sorry.....just Bravo Sierra!
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
BusterAg
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Now imagine he has a Democrat controlled Senate and a thin majority in the House..

He's the kind of guy to encourage single issue bills that put screws to Dems. He seems to get how the game is played.
BusterAg
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Get over it. Ron's a better candidate but he didn't win. Time to move on…

Well, he has seemed to move on to 2028. You didn't notice?
TRM
AG
Stressboy said:

Not on pace for $140M more like $78M.
B-1 83
AG
Muy said:

Maroon Dawn said:

What's the problem with Trump continuing to bulldoze through the swamp for 4 years and then Ron winning in 2028?
"Continuing" with a Tonka bulldozer won't cut it this time.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Phatbob
AG
Muy said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Stressboy
AG
TRM said:

Stressboy said:

Okay so was 67 an estimate for the year or YTD. If estimate then mea culpa. It is a win, but not big win. I'd prefer the conservatives do a thousand little cuts like this and no one be the wiser.
No Spin Ag
It's interesting to see Republicans like Roth know how things like this will hurt the agriculture industry, and even goes so far as asking for help to get the immigrants not to flee the state and also say he loves the governor. Talk about an extremely fine line politicians like him have to walk,

Quote:

Some Republicans were afraid the immigration law would hurt the state's agriculture industry, which relies heavily on migrants for labor during spring and fall harvest seasons. In June 2023, one month before the law took effect, state Rep. Rick Roth (R-West Palm Beach) told an audience, with the help of a Spanish interpreter, at an event in Hialeah that some employees were leaving the state for Georgia due to the law. He asked for help in getting them to stay.

"It's urgent you talk to all of your people and convince them that you have resources, state representatives and other people that can explain the bill to you," Roth told the audience, before he quickly switched to praise for former President Donald Trump and DeSantis.

"I'm still supporting Donald Trump and I love my governor," Roth said.

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Funky Winkerbean
AG
BusterAg said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Now imagine he has a Democrat controlled Senate and a thin majority in the House..

He's the kind of guy to encourage single issue bills that put screws to Dems. He seems to get how the game is played.

Now explain how he gets it through Congress.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Ron has, sure. The other posters on here sure don't seem to have moved on.
BoydCrowder13
Phatbob said:

Muy said:

Maroon Dawn said:

Yep. Trump did nothing to the swamp in term one. He got outfoxed at every turn.
No Spin Ag
akm91 said:

Stressboy said:

You think they'll payout $73M in 2 fiscal months when they've only spent $67M in 10 fiscal months? Really?
You think they're not going to try if spending that money will help anyone in the industry buy new things or fill their wallets?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
ttha_aggie_09
AG
While I mostly agree, doesn't it make you curious why everyone in the swamp is still against him if they can just outmaneuver him? Why would they be worried?
TRM
AG
Stressboy said:

TRM said:

Stressboy said:

Okay so was 67 an estimate for the year or YTD. If estimate then mea culpa. It is a win, but not big win. I'd prefer the conservatives do a thousand little cuts like this and no one be the wiser.
$67M is the total for the fiscal year to date through May 3rd. Florida's fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.
Aston04
AG
Quote:

Ron, I deeply apologize that the GOP is full of emotional children that were played like a fiddle by the media to choose "we're gonna get revenge!" over a true conservative with an actual record of getting it done...

Ron would play the game and win. Just like he as governor.
No Spin Ag
ttha_aggie_09 said:

While I mostly agree, doesn't it make you curious why everyone in the swamp is still against him if they can just outmaneuver him? Why would they be worried?
That's a good question.

I would say it's because they know they can outmaneuver him or just wait him out (four years is nothing to the swamp and uni-party) that they have no problem being against him and no one is truly worried.

If his first term proved anything is that outside of the SC, nothing was permanently changed and their machinations kept on going as planned. Trump "bulldozes" via EO, nothing more. And the second he was no longer in office his Eos were boll dozed by Biden. And the swamp continued as planned.

No Spin Ag
Aston04 said:

Quote:

Ron, I deeply apologize that the GOP is full of emotional children that were played like a fiddle by the media to choose "we're gonna get revenge!" over a true conservative with an actual record of getting it done...

This plus Juan. Ron knows how to work within the government to get things done that will stay done long after he is gone.
BigRobSA
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Not really, as it's very simple.

Right now, zero effort needed as there is nobody to outfox. If Trump wins, even a modicum of effort will be necessary, which is more than now.

Still voting for him over Biden, but this idea that he's even remotely effective against "the swamp" isn't based upon reality and actuality sounds stupid when said aloud. "Better than Biden "? Sure...not exactly a feat.

As to Desantis and "How would he get it done?", he has a great record of getting **** done at the policy level. He made Florida red via smart, effective policy and being able to easily explain why he's right with said policy.
Phatbob
AG
BigRobSA said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Not really, as it's very simple.

Right now, zero effort needed as there is nobody to outfox. If Trump wins, even a modicum of effort will be necessary, which is more than now.

Still voting for him over Biden, but this idea that he's even remotely effective against "the swamp" isn't based upon reality and actuality sounds stupid when said aloud. "Better than Biden "? Sure...not exactly a feat.

As to Desantis and "How would he get it done?", he has a great record of getting **** done at the policy level. He made Florida red via smart, effective policy and being able to easily explain why he's right with said policy.
This is what drives me crazy about the "Yeah, but he doesn't have a democrat run Senate to hold him back". There are people who can find a way to get things done and there are people who have excuses as to why they can't. The particular details don't change whether the successful person is successful, they just change the particulars on how they accomplish the goals.
one safe place
Science Denier said:

If DeSantis is going to win on a national stage, he needs to get over his fear of the media. His campaign was a disaster. Instead of avoiding them like he did in his campaign, go after them. Attack the **** ot of them.

He's no different than many of our Republican leaders. Their fear of the media makes them sheep and has given the left their insane amount of power.

Trump may not be the better President over DeSantis, but unless DeSantis changes his tactics, he's not going to get elected.

I thought 4 years with Trump would have helped him a lot. Put him on the attack as VP or some other position. Groom him for the Presidency. Show this incredibly loyal base he WILL stand up to the left's propaganda arm, and not run away from it, like he did during his campaign.
He will have to make some changes if he is to be in the hunt. Getting 1% or 2% of the vote ain't gonna cut it. Hopefully, he will have one or more giving him good advice on how to run his campaign.
BigRobSA
one safe place said:

Science Denier said:

If DeSantis is going to win on a national stage, he needs to get over his fear of the media. His campaign was a disaster. Instead of avoiding them like he did in his campaign, go after them. Attack the **** ot of them.

He's no different than many of our Republican leaders. Their fear of the media makes them sheep and has given the left their insane amount of power.

Trump may not be the better President over DeSantis, but unless DeSantis changes his tactics, he's not going to get elected.

I thought 4 years with Trump would have helped him a lot. Put him on the attack as VP or some other position. Groom him for the Presidency. Show this incredibly loyal base he WILL stand up to the left's propaganda arm, and not run away from it, like he did during his campaign.
He will have to make some changes if he is to be in the hunt. Getting 1% or 2% of the vote ain't gonna cut it. Hopefully, he will have one or more giving him good advice on how to run his campaign.

His campaign was ran fine. There was little anyone could do to win against Trump, especially with all the "muh feelz!" over the idiotic lawfare the left has enacted trying to prevent his candidacy. Just like 2016, their tactics are (hopefully) going to backfire on them.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Aston04 said:

Quote:

Only fools believe it's that simple. If he was such a great salesman he'd be the candidate today.
Bulldog73
AG
TTUArmy said:

DeSantis has my vote in 2028.

The below needs to be considered. I don't believe the US house and senate will be as favorable as Florida. So, might keep things in perspective.

Florida Senate:
Republicans: 28
Democrats: 12

Florida House:
Republicans: 84
Democrats: 36
Also to keep things in perspective, when DeSantis was elected governor in 2012,
Florida Senate
Republicans 26
Democrats 14

Florida House
Republicans 74
Democrats 46

Florida US Senators
Republican 1
Democrats 1

So DeSantis took a Republican leaning state and has turned it into a deep Red state.
It would be kind of nice if someone would do the same transformation to the nation as a whole.
Ag with kids
AG
Science Denier said:

Ulysses90 said:

Documenting immigration status is a deterrent in itself because there is a nonzero chance that a President will be elected who will actually deprt illegals.

When I lived in El Paso in 1999, R.E. Thompson Hospital was providing $74 million annually in routine care in the ER to non-citizens that the city made no attempt to collect or deter. That was when Beto's daddy was on the city council and it was already a Democrat uniparty city government.

Hospital - are you a legal resident
Illegal - Si

That's a deterrent?
Sure.

A non-zero number will not want to lie for fear of retribution, whether it's real or not.

And seriously - Trump won the nomination. You don't have to keep attacking DeSantis for doing something good to protect Trump anymore.

It's actually ok to accept that a conservative did something conservative. Unless, you don't like conservative things and only like Trump things (which many times have been conservative).
one safe place
BigRobSA said:

one safe place said:

Science Denier said:

His campaign was ran fine. There was little anyone could do to win against Trump, especially with all the "muh feelz!" over the idiotic lawfare the left has enacted trying to prevent his candidacy. Just like 2016, their tactics are (hopefully) going to backfire on them.
Not even fine enough to beat Haley, not even one tenth of the delegates she got. Don't see Haley with all the "muh feelz." His campaign has a lot of work to do.
Phatbob
AG
one safe place said:

BigRobSA said:

one safe place said:

Science Denier said:

Not even fine enough to beat Haley, not even one tenth of the delegates she got. Don't see Haley with all the "muh feelz." His campaign has a lot of work to do.
Wow, the rewriting of history in this thread could rival democrat levels... You mean the person who was in for way more primaries got more delegates than the one who left after 2? That is some cracker jack analysis you're employing there.
BoydCrowder13
Funky Winkerbean said:

Aston04 said:

Quote:

Only fools believe it's that simple. If he was such a great salesman he'd be the candidate today.

He isn't a salesman like Trump. He is a shrewd leader and knows how to work the system. Trump has to constantly ask questions how the system works.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.