You want scary?

6,177 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by 84AGEC
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a very Liberal co-worker who lived in Michigan, then Seattle, then, Sacramento. He now lives in Austin. His degree is in Political Science.

We went round-and-round as he kept proclaiming we lived in a Democracy. SMH... he can't even look at me and still believes we are a Democracy. I literally had to walk him through the Electoral College.

POLI SCI! It is what his "science" is based in.
sleepybeagle
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

By definition, a republic is a representative form of government that is ruled according
to a charter, or constitution, and a democracy is a government that is ruled according
to the will of the majority. Although these forms of government are often confused,
they are quite different. The main difference between a republic and a democracy is
the charter or constitution that limits power in a republic, often to protect the
individual's rights against the desires of the majority.
The only reason small states, minorities, or anyone outside of a big city has any voice in our government is because we are a republic where power is attempted to be localized and balanced against pure numbers.
sleepybeagle
DallasAg 94
Its funny in the video the woman claims the two terms are interchangeable.

If that is the case, what's the problem if Trump calls it a Republic?!

We have 72 genders but only 1 allowed Government?!
Maroon Dawn
AG
At its surface, it's as simple for them as

"Democracy = Democrats = Good!"

""Republic = Republicans = Bad!"

But below the surface and behind the scenes, then yes, Dems want a direct democracy to give them total power by carefully gerrymandering it so only their votes count
OverSeas AG
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Is CNN really that dumb?

Of course they are

No. But they are that dishonest and diabolical.
IslanderAg04
Simple definition. A democracy is voted mob rule. If the mob votes it, the mob gets it. Everyone else must tow the line. A constitutional republic is a representative democracy, using the constitution to protect individual liberty. For fathers knew what democracies turn into.

Fkn china and north korea are democracies.

If they're so pro democracies, why do liberals black ball the one successful one in the middle east?

TexAgs91
AG
Highway6 said:

Don't tell them about the Constitution, that would make their heads explode

Sounds like we should tell them then!
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Krazykat
AG
Communist
News
Network
Highway6
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Highway6 said:

Don't tell them about the Constitution, that would make their heads explode

Sounds like we should tell them then!
Good point. Honestly, I doubt over 10% of the liberal media has any notion of the Constitution or its purpose. They are absolutely ignorant of how our government should work.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Good point. Honestly, I doubt over 10% of the liberal media has any notion of the Constitution or its purpose. They are absolutely ignorant of how our government should work.
Granted, I'm an Ol' Dame but I attended public schools both in Texas and up north. I had multiple classes in government and civics and by multiple I mean to the point that it was just going over the same material again and again from elementary school on. And I was pre Schoolhouse Rock.

Schoolhouse Rock has an American Rock component with multiple episodes, for instance.
BBRex
AG
"The Battle Hymn of the Democracy" is one of my favorite songs.
OverSeas AG
AG
BBRex said:

"The Battle Hymn of the Democracy" is one of my favorite songs.

Same on the Pledge:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Democracy for which it stands…

Smh.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Ghost Mech said:

Tyler Durden is the hero we need

EX TEXASEX
rocky the dog said:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.
And to the Ballot Stuffing Precinct for which it stands.
One nation, under God. Indivisible (yeah, right).
With liberty, and justice, for all except Donald Trump.
Did a DNC update for you,.
#FJB
APHIS AG
TexAgs91 said:

Is CNN really that dumb?

Of course they are
No, they are just doing what the Democrats have been doing for decades, spreading the "Big Lie".
APHIS AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I have a very Liberal co-worker who lived in Michigan, then Seattle, then, Sacramento. He now lives in Austin. His degree is in Political Science.

We went round-and-round as he kept proclaiming we lived in a Democracy. SMH... he can't even look at me and still believes we are a Democracy. I literally had to walk him through the Electoral College.

It is simple, in a Democracy, it is winner take all. In a Republic, we have what is called an "Electoral College" which elects the President.

That is the difference.
aglaes
AG
I think the correct terminology is that the United States is a democratic republic. It is a democracy because the people govern themselves, but we also have 50 sovereign states and the people of each state elect representatives to speak for them.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that and the US governance is incompletely described by either term - democracy or republic.
aggiehawg
AG
aglaes said:

I think the correct terminology is that the United States is a democratic republic. It is a democracy because the people govern themselves, but we also have 50 sovereign states and the people of each state elect representatives to speak for them.
Democratic representatve republic/
Jeeper79
AG
APHIS AG said:

DallasAg 94 said:

It is simple, in a Democracy, it is winner take all. In a Republic, we have what is called an "Electoral College" which elects the President.

That is the difference.
In a DIRECT democracy, that's probably true. We're a representative democracy. But it's still a democracy.

Nobody in this country that calls it a democracy actually thinks we're voting on federal laws. Even if they don't know how government works (god help us), they know we have elections.

So when people say we live in a democracy, they mean a representative democracy. It's asinine to infer they mean direct democracy and then try to argue from there.

Yes it's a republic. But it's also a democracy.
Stressboy
AG
Why is some ignorant Irishman on CNN discussing American government?

I hope he didn't get his US citizenship because he obviously couldn't pass the test on US government.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Jeeper79 said:

APHIS AG said:

DallasAg 94 said:

That is the difference.
In a DIRECT democracy, that's probably true. We're a representative democracy. But it's still a democracy.

Nobody in this country that calls it a democracy actually thinks we're voting on federal laws. Even if they don't know how government works (god help us), they know we have elections.

So when people say we live in a democracy, they mean a representative democracy. It's asinine to infer they mean direct democracy and then try to argue from there.

Yes it's a republic. But it's also a democracy.

It's not asinine, you don't have a constitutional right to vote. The past two elections that republicans have won the left has cried that it's not fair they didn't win the popular vote. There are millions of people in this country that don't understand or want to abolish the electoral college. That's facts. Keep carrying water, it's hilarious.
The Banned
Trump brainwashed me all those decades ago in elementary school. I never knew.
richardag
aglaes said:

It's actually a bit more complicated than that and the US governance is incompletely described by either term - democracy or republic.
I prefer Constitutional Republic. The democratic principles used in our nation are enumerated in the Constitution. The Constitution lays out the form of Government and the separation of powers.It also stresses the limits of powers the Federal Government has and are emphasized in the Bill of Rights.

And you are most certainly correct in stating. "It's actually a bit more complicated than that". The Federal Government is and has been usurping power that rightfully belongs to the people and the states.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
LMCane
it's the opposite

the last two Republican Presidents won in the Electoral College

while losing the popular "democracy" vote.
zag213004
AG
Geez cnn is so dumb. Ironic that many people that believe that we are a democracy would have zero rights in a true democracy.

Democracy = the 6 wolves and 4 sheep voting on what's for dinner
jejdag
rocky the dog said:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.
And to the republic for which it stands.
One nation, under God. Indivisible (yeah, right).
With liberty, and justice, for all except Donald Trump.

There is no comma between 'One nation' and 'under God' in the pledge of allegiance
84AGEC
AG
Rush use explain it best. Best of seven games. One team scored 27 runs to 18 runs. But second team won 4 games. Who wins the series?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.