Labor cost is raised, store closes

5,963 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by waitwhat?
PCC_80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Logos Stick said:

I would have closed the shops down the day after the vote. They should have been happy that they got an extra week of pay.
TexasAggie_97
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Overweight, multiple piercings, wearing the latest protest fashions....

"We've been paid really bad wages..."

Don't forget it's tattoos. Funny how it has money for those.
HollywoodBQ
AG
vansprinkle said:

JW said:

The social contract should protect both employee and employer. When it favors one over the other is when it falls apart. We see pandering to both sides constantly making it all worse, when decreasing regulation/barrier to entry and minimum wages would be the better choice.

Getting rid of minimum wage would be the best choice. This would be decreasing regulation and removing a barrier to entry.

Of course, killing minimum wage does nothing if you don't kill at least 75% of the government handouts along with it.
Yesterday, I was talking to my favorite teacher who teaches HS on the wrong side of the tracks and she told me about a conversation she had with one of her students about how many bags of potato chips he kept bringing to class.

Student told her that he and his grandmother (who he lives with) get $700/month in Food Stamps and they can spend $100/month at convenience stores. And of course kids get free lunch and breakfast at school anyway.

There's really very little incentive to work if you're in that category.

And back to the original story in the OP, for a lot of the barista class of workers, the job is just a place to hang out. They're not even really trying to sell one tea much less the TexAgs legendary "two teas".
Jaydoug
AG
Economics lesson via experiential learning
ProgN
I LOL'd during the second girl's interview when it said "former barista" below her name.
UTExan
CanyonAg77 said:

Overweight, multiple piercings, wearing the latest protest fashions....

"We've been paid really bad wages..."

Expensive tattoos…don't forget expensive tattoos.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
G Martin 87
AG

techno-ag
AG
taxpreparer said:

This is a great example of investing capital and time to start a business to make a profit. The employees get paid to help create that profit. When the costs make a profit unlikely, the business closes and the employees no longer get paid. The owner loses his profit, and the employees lose their jobs.
Economics 101. Sadly, they just don't understand economics.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BadMoonRisin
AG
They're also just stupid and envious. They consider the word "profit" synonymous with "greed" and have no idea why business owners just dont split all of it with their employees because they have no clue how businesses work.
BaitShack
AG
Similar to what happened at Darwin's Coffee Shop. Workers unionized, made outrageous demands, and the owner decided to shut it all down.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2022/11/3/darwins-closure-protest/
techno-ag
AG
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
usmcbrooks
NE PA Ag
What is the point of their protest? What are their demands? Do they want the government to force the owners to reopen the stores? Do they want the government to take them over and keep them open? What could they possibly think can be done to change the situation?

Yes, the ultimate answer is that they are idiots. That said, I'd love to know what they think can possibly be done about this.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Do they want the government to take them over and keep them open?
Yes
Captain Pablo
AG
NE PA Ag said:

What is the point of their protest? What are their demands? Do they want the government to force the owners to reopen the stores? Do they want the government to take them over and keep them open? What could they possibly think can be done to change the situation?

Yes, the ultimate answer is that they are idiots. That said, I'd love to know what they think can possibly be done about this.

Yeah that's always the first thought that crosses my mind

Lol

Idiots
deddog
AG
1988PA-Aggie said:

I cannot understand, how or why they don't understand...when you increase costs and operating expenses, prices have to be increased also. Then *news flash*, business likely drops off and the business shuts down. Econ 101.

Who couldn't see this coming a few years ago when we saw a three fold increase in minimum wage?

Why couldn't they see it ? Because they have the same IQ as the ****** they voted for President
Squadron7
AG
G Martin 87 said:

As Thomas Sowell says, "Somebody has to empty the bedpans."
HunterAggie
BaitShack said:

Similar to what happened at Darwin's Coffee Shop. Workers unionized, made outrageous demands, and the owner decided to shut it all down.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2022/11/3/darwins-closure-protest/
Lather, Rinse. Repeat.

As for union organizers attempting to unionize workers employed within single-shop / few location ownership retailers/restaurants, how do you not see this coming?

The good news: there are plenty of other "Help Wanted" opportunities
The bad news: they can't pay you the ridiculous wages/benefits you desire and still stay in business either

Cobra39
I think chicks with bullhorns are hot.

Cobra39
Slicer97
AG
Why do these people think these jobs are meant to provide a living wage? They're meant for entry-level, part time high schoolers to get some work experience.

If you expect to make a living running a cash register, expect to do a lot more when you're not working the register. Like run-the-business kind of other stuff.

Displaying shiny **** in holes punched through your face is a strong sign that someone other than you should run your life, because you're obviously not good at decisions.
hph6203
AG
Updating your Threads bio from Barista to Former Barista has to be one of the most soul crushing experiences. Your life's ambitions tattered by the cruel reality of capitalism. Raise a fist in solidarity and defiance comrades.
waitwhat?
JW said:

The social contract should protect both employee and employer. When it favors one over the other is when it falls apart. We see pandering to both sides constantly making it all worse, when decreasing regulation/barrier to entry and minimum wages would be the better choice.

What "social contract" are you talking about? Do you mean laws? Laws enacted by crooked politicians? Is that what you mean?

If not, please explain what the "social contract" is and in what way it's binding
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.