No tax on tips

7,465 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by VegasAg86
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2/10 SWB said:

But it would mean that the servers aren't being paid at least $7.25 per hour. Those gifts (tips) don't count against the minimum wage. Therefore, the business will have to make up the pay difference between $2.13 and $7.25. Therefore, the business will have to pay an additional $5.12 per hour per server. Bars and restaurants are low margin businesses. That additional $5.12 per hour will be reflected in the cost of goods. It's no different than promising servers a "living wage." The consumer will be asked to pay more, and if the consumer refuses, the bar or restaurant goes out of business and the server loses their job.

I did take Econ 101. I got a C+

It would all depend how it was worded in the tax code (a thoroughly crazy an unintelligible amalgamation of regulations that frequently contradict.) It could be reported as non-taxable wages, and still affect parts of a tax return. States could still tax it as wages, or for unemployment tax purposes.
VegasAg86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2/10 SWB said:

But it would mean that the servers aren't being paid at least $7.25 per hour. Those gifts (tips) don't count against the minimum wage. Therefore, the business will have to make up the pay difference between $2.13 and $7.25. Therefore, the business will have to pay an additional $5.12 per hour per server. Bars and restaurants are low margin businesses. That additional $5.12 per hour will be reflected in the cost of goods. It's no different than promising servers a "living wage." The consumer will be asked to pay more, and if the consumer refuses, the bar or restaurant goes out of business and the server loses their job.

I did take Econ 101. I got a C+

They're still getting the tips. They can still be added to their pay to hit the threshold. They just won't be taxed on it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.