California Water Wars

1,992 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by doubledog
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.wsj.com/us-news/california-drought-water-farmers-endangered-fish-64184f90?st=dh4li4a1zid2yex&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Remember how California got out of drought this last year and everything was good again? Yep, none of that rain mattered.

Quote:

California is awash in water after record-breaking rains vanquished years of crippling drought. That sounds like great news for farmers. But Ron McIlroy, whose shop here sells equipment for plowing fields, knows otherwise.

"I'll be lucky if I survive this year," he said.

Illustrating how broken California's vast water-delivery system is, many farmers in Central Valley, America's fruit and vegetable basket, will get just 40% of the federal water they are supposed to this year.

We did it all for the fishes.

Quote:

Why? Endangered fish.

The pumps that transport water from wet Northern California to the semiarid south have been drastically slowed to protect threatened migrating smelt, measuring up to 3 inches, and steelhead. That means growers in the U.S.'s richest farming area are having to plant fewer crops even as they are surrounded by water.

"There's no reason for it and it's dangerous for the country," said Wayne Western, farm manager of Hammonds Ranch, which plans to plant tomatoes, cotton and other crops on only 60% of its 5,000 acres this year, compared with 80% last year. "You don't know how to plan. You kind of come to a standstill."

Quote:

Record rain and snow last year allowed farmers in the district to receive their full allotment of federal water, a contrast to the prior two years when they received none.

But the picture darkened for farmers when the Bureau of Reclamation initially forecast a paltry 15% water allocation in February before raising it to 40% in April.

But don't worry! Gavin to the rescue with another HSR level idea. This time for water. I'm sure it will stay within budget and be built on time just like HSR.

Quote:

Gov. Gavin Newsom's team is using the bottleneck as Exhibit A for constructing a $20-billion tunnel to bypass the delta, in part, to allow threatened fish to swim undisturbed. However, the project faces fierce opposition from a coalition of landowners, tribes and environmental groups.
techno-ag
AG
Dem*crats mess everything up. Everything did just fine in Kali for millennia before they got there.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

fc2112
Cali has been having water wars since its founding. Watch Chinatown to learn more.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Listening to folks from a big state agency talk about new projects to remove Carbon from the ocean "because it's like a giant sponge for carbon and the more we remove, the more it can soak up" reconfirmed how ****ing stupid they are.

I also had an Uber driver ranting about Newsom and how he wish he would've been recalled only to turn around and badmouth Trump over Biden. They don't call it the cereal state for nothing…
Cowboy Curtis
AG
All apart of the plan, comrade.
Logos Stick
What if this smelt became extinct? Would it have some serious negative effect on the human race?

I had forgotten about it but I now recall all this water restriction that's gone on in Cali for a long time is about protecting this smelt.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
BigRobSA
techno-ag said:

Dem*crats mess everything up. Everything did just fine in Kali for millennia before they got there.

God: "Whew! It took a lot of work, but this land is perfect. One might say 'a Godsend'."

Liberals: "Hold my Catalina wine mixer sangria."
BigRobSA
Logos Stick said:

What if this smelt became extinct? Would it have some serious negative effect on the human race?

I had forgotten about it but I now recall all this water restriction that's gone on in Cali for a long time is about protecting this smelt.

He who smelt it....
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
fightingfarmer09
Someone purposely exterminating the last smelt would ultimately go down as a hero for solving this issue.
KidDoc
AG
Conan had a hilarious skit of him rowing down the LA river but it appears to have been erased from the internet. Every time I hear about California water issues I think of that skit.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie95
AG
Most of the people I was around in California smelt anyway. They should be extinct!
doubledog
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Listening to folks from a big state agency talk about new projects to remove Carbon from the ocean "because it's like a giant sponge for carbon and the more we remove, the more it can soak up" reconfirmed how ****ing stupid they are.

I also had an Uber driver ranting about Newsom and how he wish he would've been recalled only to turn around and badmouth Trump over Biden. They don't call it the cereal state for nothing…
The "carbon" is in Calcium Carbonate... or Chalk.
CO2 + Ca+2 +H2O --> CaCO3 (precipitate) + 2H+
They want to drive the reaction toward products. However Ca+2 comes from limestone which must be mined and processed, thus producing more CO2. Best to let nature take its course on this one.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.