Food stamp study proves what we already knew

6,421 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by ME92
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13427729/study-welfare-food-stamps-SNAP-junk-processed.html

Quote:

An alarming study has spotlighted how 42 million food stamp recipients spend their welfare handouts on ultra-processed junk food.

Coca-Cola, Sprite and other soft drinks are the most commonly-bought items via the $135 billion-a-year Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), a new study says.

Candy, potato chips, frozen pizza, ice cream, cookies, and other ultra-processed food dominates the top 20 items, says a report from the Economic Policy Innovation Center (EPIC).

More like junk food stamps, amiright? How much money you reckon these companies spend to make sure their products stay on the SNAP lists? Republicans are trying to change things, according to the article, but I'm not hopeful.

This is wasted tax money that leads to obesity and more wasted money on preventable healthcare issues.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

agdoc2001
AG
Sprite, huh?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
flakrat
AG
Absolutely no reason tax payer money should be used to purchase junk food.

But you are correct, the lobbies run DC.
MemphisAg1
AG
Imagine the reduction in health care costs if SNAP money was limited to basic food items (protein, veggies, fruits, breads, etc) and excluded soda, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc.

Diabetes -- down
Heart disease -- down
Weight related issues -- down

But noooooo! If "rich people" can have ice cream, then gimmee mine too!
Burdizzo
AG
Imagine if they actually looked into what people were spending the rest of their money on too.

A few years ago the news had a story about a free food giveaway at one of the schools. The number of Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes in the line was mind-blowing.
ATX_AG_08
AG
My favorite is watching them by an entire cart of junk food on food stamps then pull out cash for cigarettes and beer.
B-1 83
AG
"But……but………but………it's expensive to eat healthy!" [\whiny voice]

Bulls$#@. People simply don't know how to budget, plan, and eat healthy. Generational welfare has done that. Go to a WIC system for commodities and get it over with.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Burdizzo
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Imagine the reduction in health care costs if SNAP money was limited to basic food items (protein, veggies, fruits, breads, etc) and excluded soda, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc.

Diabetes -- down
Heart disease -- down

Those are also health issues that cripple our healthcare system that is taxpayer supported.
TexasAggie_02
AG
should be limited to bread, fresh/frozen/canned fruits/veggies, eggs, milk, cheese, and fresh/frozen raw meat.
Stat Monitor Repairman
ATX_AG_08 said:

My favorite is watching them by an entire cart of junk food on food stamps then pull out cash for cigarettes and beer.
Also the folks that buy a cart full of raw ingredients for their taco truck and pay with a lone star card.

Boxes of frozen crab legs is another popular item at the first of the month when cards get re-upped. You''ll notice that wal-marts has created a special end cap freezer for this.
ChemAg15
AG
"Equality means equal access to sustainable, palettable, calorically gifted foods. We should expand SNAP to all persons dispraportionally affected by the historically racist food and sugar industries. This inequality is a systemic holdover from an era bygone when sugar plantions ran on slave labor" - some lib somewhere
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
Gilligan
AG
Born into a never ending cycle of being on the dole.

These programs were originally designed for short term assistance.

Help to get you back on your feet when falling on hard times.

Now it's a lifestyle and a scam.
Aggie95
AG
Would be cheaper to put them on Ozempic than buy their groceries.
Urban Ag
AG
bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

There's your food for the week. Learn how to cook.

KidDoc
AG
If they simply made food stamps only for tax exempt items it would make a huge difference.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tanya 93
Urban Ag said:

bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

There's your food for the week. Learn how to cook.

Head of cabbage
Bag of onions
Jar of pb
Tanya 93
KidDoc said:

If they simply made food stamps only for tax exempt items it would make a huge difference.
All food is taxed here.

Make it more like WIC instead
2040huck
Food stamps should allow the following, nothing more. Ground beef. chicken and pork, along with any dried or canned beans and peas. Any fresh produce Bread, milk, eggs, rice and fruit juice. Maybe baby formula. Anything else is luxury. Maybe I have left off a couple of essentials, but you get the point
Urban Ag
AG
Urban's gourmet meal recipe first year out of A&M, no money, in debt, and trying to impress my future wife (by spending what I could taking her out):

1 can Ranch Style beans
3-4 packets of Taco Bell hot sauce
any form of non moldy cheese I had in the fridge
mystery meat (lunchmeat, leftovers, etc)

Bonus - some stale tortilla or potato chips if available.

Heat beans with hot sauce, stir in cheese and mystery meat, add stale chips to top once cheese melted. Lone Star 16 oz for the beverage. Done.
93MarineHorn
Poor people making poor choices that ensure they remain poor.
deddog
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Diabetes -- down
Heart disease -- down

Unhealthy people create more jobs </liberalism>
deddog
AG
2040huck said:

Food stamps should allow the following, nothing more. Ground beef. chicken and pork, along with any dried or canned beans and peas. Any fresh produce Bread, milk, eggs, rice and fruit juice. Maybe baby formula. Anything else is luxury. Maybe I have left off a couple of essentials, but you get the point
Republicans are taking away your food.
I can hear it now.
Urban Ag
AG
they also die sooner, and that's good for Mother Gaia

Rapier108
ATX_AG_08 said:

And when they leave, they get into their $100K Cadillac Escalade with an $25K in extra bling.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
deddog
AG
The real problem here is that government, by its nature, leads to perverse incentives.

If people had adequate food, no one in SNAP would have a job.
It makes sense to have more people hungry, so you get a bigger budget
It makes sense to have a much larger backlog of (illegal) immigrants, so you get a bigger budget
It makes sense to have junk food be covered by SNAP, so that you can justify a bigger budget
It makes sense to have wars, so that the VA always has patients, and the you can request a bigger budget
It make sense that our kids education standard is poor, so that you can justify a higher budget (that ones has a bonus in that you also guarantee yourself a stupid democrat voter)

The list of perverse incentives is never ending.

The answer is small(er) government. But we know what happened when Ted Cruz tried that.
ohioag67
AG
Just go back to commodities like they had years ago. Get your free stuff, take it home, cook it any way you want to. Don't want to cook???? Fine. Root hog, or die.
Stat Monitor Repairman
deddog said:

2040huck said:

Republicans are taking away your food.
I can hear it now.
Biden told folk yesterday at Morehouse graduation that republicans were taking away their access to water while standing in line to vote.
EclipseAg
AG
I've told this story here before, but way back in my high school days, when I worked at a suburban grocery store, I encountered a real life "welfare queen" one Saturday morning.

She was all dolled up in fancy clothes and bought two baskets chock full of groceries, including steaks and other high-cost items, paid for it all with food stamps (likely bought from others in her neighborhood for pennies on the dollar), and then had us wheel out the baskets to her late model Caddy.

None of the kids working the front had ever even seen food stamps before, so I'm sure she got away with buying a bunch of stuff that wasn't allowed. Part of her gameplan, I guess.

Seeing such blatant fraud really informed my young beliefs about the value of such programs.

91AggieLawyer
AG
I quit drinking cokes in general in 2018. I used to LOVE Coke (Coca Cola) and my drinking habits were a few here and there at that time, but I always had the intense craving. Since, I've drank a lot of flavored seltzer water -- no sugar. It is essentially club soda with a lemon, lime, or other similar flavoring. I like it and it usually takes care of my thirst and cravings.

About 6 months ago, I got an intense craving for a Coke and decided to take a sip. I wouldn't say nasty but I didn't like it. Last night, I got another very intense craving and opened up another can (I keep soft drinks on hand for parties). Worse than 6 months ago. Borderline nasty. Definitely not the pleasurable taste I remember and used to love.

I knew I wouldn't fall off the wagon but now I REALLY don't want another sweetened soft drink as long as I live. All it takes is to stay off those things for about 4-6 months and you won't want to drink them again.
American Hardwood
AG
Burdizzo said:

Imagine if they actually looked into what people were spending the rest of their money on too.

A few years ago the news had a story about a free food giveaway at one of the schools. The number of Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes in the line was mind-blowing.
At my previous job, our office building was located next to the food bank. About once a month or so, they would do food giveaways. I always knew what day it was on because all of the $40,000+ vehicles would be lined up down the block at 8:00 waiting for them to open up. All of them sitting in their cars running the a/c burning up $3+/gallon gas and talking on their smart phones.

First time I saw this was the last time I donated to the food bank.
PCC_80
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Also the folks that buy a cart full of raw ingredients for their taco truck and pay with a lone star card.

Boxes of frozen crab legs is another popular item at the first of the month when cards get re-upped. You''ll notice that wal-marts has created a special end cap freezer for this.
Nothing like seeing someone fill two shopping carts with various sizes and flavors of sodas and pay for it all with their Lone Star Card. You know that they will all be in some convenience stores cooler with in an hour.
American Hardwood
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I quit drinking cokes in general in 2018. I used to LOVE Coke (Coca Cola) and my drinking habits were a few here and there at that time, but I always had the intense craving. Since, I've drank a lot of flavored seltzer water -- no sugar. It is essentially club soda with a lemon, lime, or other similar flavoring. I like it and it usually takes care of my thirst and cravings.

About 6 months ago, I got an intense craving for a Coke and decided to take a sip. I wouldn't say nasty but I didn't like it. Last night, I got another very intense craving and opened up another can (I keep soft drinks on hand for parties). Worse than 6 months ago. Borderline nasty. Definitely not the pleasurable taste I remember and used to love.

I knew I wouldn't fall off the wagon but now I REALLY don't want another sweetened soft drink as long as I live. All it takes is to stay off those things for about 4-6 months and you won't want to drink them again.
Ever been a smoker? Try quitting for several years then go back and take a puff. Same experience. Secondhand smoke is also much more noxious as a former smoker than a pre-smoker.
Urban Ag
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I drank 2-4 Coke Zero's a day for at least 10 years. I just stopped cold turkey last year. One cup of black coffee in the morning and then, like you, sparkling water. Sometimes some jug ice tea (unsweet) or just tap water.

The amount of just "bloat" that comes off you over time is startling. Stopped drinking beer two. I may have one at dinner now and then but that's it.

Soda is terrible for people, even the zero calorie stuff.
The Banned
HUGE shock. Big time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.