Food stamp study proves what we already knew

6,408 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by ME92
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
93MarineHorn said:

Poor people making poor choices that ensure they remain poor.

And all the private companies that those food stamps get used on keeps their businesses humming along at a great pace. And if you've got stock in any of those companies, you'll be thankful for what you're getting with your shares.

What is given to the poor by the government usually goes right into a private businesses coffers.
UTExan
Urban Ag said:

bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

There's your food for the week. Learn how to cook.

And oatmeal. Oatmeal for breakfast, oatmeal casserole for vegans.
“If you’re going to have crime it should be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
techno-ag
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I quit drinking cokes in general in 2018. I used to LOVE Coke (Coca Cola) and my drinking habits were a few here and there at that time, but I always had the intense craving. Since, I've drank a lot of flavored seltzer water -- no sugar. It is essentially club soda with a lemon, lime, or other similar flavoring. I like it and it usually takes care of my thirst and cravings.

About 6 months ago, I got an intense craving for a Coke and decided to take a sip. I wouldn't say nasty but I didn't like it. Last night, I got another very intense craving and opened up another can (I keep soft drinks on hand for parties). Worse than 6 months ago. Borderline nasty. Definitely not the pleasurable taste I remember and used to love.

I knew I wouldn't fall off the wagon but now I REALLY don't want another sweetened soft drink as long as I live. All it takes is to stay off those things for about 4-6 months and you won't want to drink them again.
When I was in Europe I was amazed at how popular carbonated water was. No flavorings just bubbles in the water. Now that I'm older I love it. No sugar. I also like unsweetened tea and coffee. All these are far healthier than soft drinks. Even diet soda is bad for you. No way Coke and Sprite and Pepsi should be food stamp eligible.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Urban Ag
AG
1-2 cups of black coffee a day is very good for you, especially men (blood flow)

so says my cardiologist

rwtxag83
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I quit drinking cokes in general in 2018. I used to LOVE Coke (Coca Cola) and my drinking habits were a few here and there at that time, but I always had the intense craving. Since, I've drank a lot of flavored seltzer water -- no sugar. It is essentially club soda with a lemon, lime, or other similar flavoring. I like it and it usually takes care of my thirst and cravings.

About 6 months ago, I got an intense craving for a Coke and decided to take a sip. I wouldn't say nasty but I didn't like it. Last night, I got another very intense craving and opened up another can (I keep soft drinks on hand for parties). Worse than 6 months ago. Borderline nasty. Definitely not the pleasurable taste I remember and used to love.

I knew I wouldn't fall off the wagon but now I REALLY don't want another sweetened soft drink as long as I live. All it takes is to stay off those things for about 4-6 months and you won't want to drink them again.
Similar to me. I still like sodas, and drink them (mainly Mountain Dew but it's 9 times out of 10 as part of a cocktail), but Coke and Dr Pepper used to be my mainstay. They just don't taste good anymore. If I get one, I can't make it past halfway. The wife and I have learned we just split one if we both decide to get one.
Greater love hath no man than this....
agent-maroon
AG
Why waste money on a study that everybody has always known what the outcome would be? It's not like the libs are going to let facts proved in a study stand in the way of buying votes through a subsidy paid for with our tax money. Might as well ask them to voluntarily stop breathing.

Although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Urban Ag
AG
My first year out of A&M I worked for a logistics company by DFW and we had this local driver we liked to use to take the late night airfreight over to DFW. Really nice guy but he was seriously obese.

A couple years later I called him out of the blue to see if I could get him to move our stuff to Austin as my employer was relocating us. He shows up at our duplex, and i hadn't seen in at least two years, and I didn't even recognize him. He went from probably three bills to maybe 150. Told me he went to the doctor and the doc asked him how many cokes he was drinking a day. 10-12 was his answer. Doc told him stop drinking cokes and it will change your life. The guy, at the time (this was late 90's) had no idea each Coke was 200+ calories.

techno-ag
AG
agent-maroon said:

Why waste money on a study that everybody has always known what the outcome would be? It's not like the libs are going to let facts proved in a study stand in the way of buying votes through a subsidy paid for with our tax money. Might as well ask them to voluntarily stop breathing.

The thing is, if you don't have reports like this the libs will say there's no evidence. Thus the production of incontrovertible evidence that everyone already knows instinctively and/or anecdotally.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

UTExan
When I was a kid my parents divorced. We were really poor, so qualified for "commodities": Department of Agriculture surplus food.
Peanut butter, flour, Spam, rice, dried beans and occasionally cheese. It was quite good since my mom knew how to cook and it helped us for two years until we got back on our feet as a family.

“If you’re going to have crime it should be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
KidDoc
AG
Tanya 93 said:

KidDoc said:

If they simply made food stamps only for tax exempt items it would make a huge difference.
All food is taxed here.

Make it more like WIC instead
Texas Food Tax - What You Need to Know about Taxable and Exempt Food Items (txprofiles.com)

2. Taxable Food Items
While many food items are exempt from sales tax, there are instances where tax is applicable. Generally, prepared foods sold for immediate consumption, such as restaurant meals or hot foods, are subject to sales tax. Additionally, certain snack items, like chips or candies, might also be taxable. However, unprepared food items, like raw meat, fruits, and vegetables, are usually exempt from sales tax.
3. Non-Taxable Food Items
Thankfully, most grocery staples are exempt from sales tax in Texas. These include essential items like milk, bread, eggs, and canned goods, which means you won't see any extra taxes when stocking up on your everyday necessities. This exemption also applies to qualifying food items purchased with food stamps or other government assistance programs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agent-maroon
AG
techno-ag said:

agent-maroon said:

The thing is, if you don't have reports like this the libs will say there's no evidence. Thus the production of incontrovertible evidence that everyone already knows instinctively and/or anecdotally.

OK, now there's evidence. Someone tries to change it and all you'll hear are cries of racism and accusations of hating single moms & children. It would make a difference in a rational world, but the politics of buying votes is not a part of such a world.
2023NCAggies
The common tax payer checking their bank account before checking out worried they might not have enough money.

while the fatass in front of them pulls out a lonestar card with large bills falling out her purse, likely illegal immigrant with 4 fat anchor baby kids.

Always fun feeling getting screwed. Welcome to America
peacedude
AG
Buy a Brita water filter, a Soda Stream carbonated water setup, and a bunch of SweetTarts. One ST is about 9.5 calories, and it'll flavor (plenty enough) 16oz of water. It won't be very sweet, but it's much more enjoyable than plain old water. That hint of your favorite flavor will be there with every gulp/sip.

I also know a few people on SNAP. They have it down to a science to make the $291 last a month, including buying the following: A load of chicken breasts, a load of 80/20 beef, a lot of rice, boxes of mashed potato mix, big bags of frozen veggies and fruits, powdered milk, and huge bags of cereal. They don't go hungry, and they don't gain any weight.
Burdizzo
AG
All this talk of water reminds me...

I don't know how they did this with straight faces
doubledog
Urban Ag said:

bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

With leftovers that would give a family meat every day. I would bet that is a lot more than you would get in many other countries.
We fixed the keg
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

My favorite is watching them by an entire cart of junk food on food stamps then pull out cash for cigarettes and beer.
... at the old Winn Dixie in College Station, they used to come in and buy gum with a food stamp, get cash backfor the difference, then go grab some smokes and pay for them with the change they received.
cevans_40
AG
Taxes ought not to pay for your bag of Fudge Rounds
Urban Ag
AG
doubledog said:

Urban Ag said:

bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

With leftovers that would give a family meat every day. I would bet that is a lot more than you would get in many other countries.

Exactly and in a lot of ways it's how my family eats. Yesterday I grilled chicken breasts and sausage and today my wife made a big order of spaghetti and meatballs. The family will eat off of this for days.
Jack Squat 83
AG
ohioag67 said:

Just go back to commodities like they had years ago. Get your free stuff, take it home, cook it any way you want to. Don't want to cook???? Fine. Root hog, or die.
I've said for 30 years, every town should have an unpainted, generic cinderblock building in it for staples for the hungry. Come in with your allotted food stamps and get your basics, every 2 weeks. You could pay a manager good money, with a few well-paid workers and save billions.

No more chips, soda or candy from Circle K, convenience/grocery stores lobbyists be damned. You would have to show an ID too, although that would be horrifying. Enough is enough.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Tanya 93
KidDoc said:

Tanya 93 said:

KidDoc said:

If they simply made food stamps only for tax exempt items it would make a huge difference.
All food is taxed here.

Make it more like WIC instead
Texas Food Tax - What You Need to Know about Taxable and Exempt Food Items (txprofiles.com)

2. Taxable Food Items
While many food items are exempt from sales tax, there are instances where tax is applicable. Generally, prepared foods sold for immediate consumption, such as restaurant meals or hot foods, are subject to sales tax. Additionally, certain snack items, like chips or candies, might also be taxable. However, unprepared food items, like raw meat, fruits, and vegetables, are usually exempt from sales tax.
3. Non-Taxable Food Items
Thankfully, most grocery staples are exempt from sales tax in Texas. These include essential items like milk, bread, eggs, and canned goods, which means you won't see any extra taxes when stocking up on your everyday necessities. This exemption also applies to qualifying food items purchased with food stamps or other government assistance programs.

But I don't live in Texas.

I can buy a single banana or apple and get charged a penny or two in taxes.
Agsrback12
We have an artificial economy. This I only one of the dominoes.
2/10 SWB
I kinda feel bad for posting this, but Sunday, I went to my local bar for lunch/brunch (it's pretty good brunch on the weekends). I also just got my power back this afternoon, so I was charging my phone. The lady next to me was talking about how she didn't have power either, and all the food she bought Wednesday had to be thrown away. I can sympathize with that problem.

Then she tells me she's going to go ahead and apply for emergency food stamps (ok if it's an emergency, in my mind). She says, "I've been meaning to apply for the last few months, but I just didn't want to do the paperwork." I kept my composure because I am a gentleman, but the only thing I could think was, " HOW ARE YOU TOO LAZY TO APPLY FOR LAZY PERSON ASSISTANCE!"

It didn't make it any better that she was sitting there eating steak and eggs and drinking bottomless mimosas.
Catag94
AG
I don't believe it. What I do believe is that the actually recipients of the "food stamps" sell them for cash and the buyers buy junk goods!

Point is, it's a garbage system.
buzzardb267
AG
Growing up, I had an Uncle that was a Pentecostal preacher at a small church in southern Oklahoma. Many of his parishioners paid their tithes with commodity food. I recall coming back from a visit with a huge block of cheese.
"ROGER - OUT"
2aggiesmom
Urban Ag said:

bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

Good list just needs some greens. A whole huge bag of spinach is less than 4 dollars and is so delicious just pan sauted. It really cooks down but is still cost effective.
lj801
Urban Ag said:

bag of apples
bag of potatoes
bag of carrots
bananas
loaf of bread
pot roast
pork butt
couple whole chickens

Trump proposed something like this. He was crucified for it. It was going to only be nonperishables though.

"The proposal, buried in the White House's fiscal 2019 budget, would replace about half of the money most families receive via the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as food stamps, with what the Department of Agriculture is calling "America's Harvest Box." That package would be made up of "100 percent U.S. grown and produced food" and would include items like shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, canned fruits and meats, and cereal." (https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/food-stamps-trump-administration-343245)

It was supposed to be a delivery type service, but with out the perishable items. I balked at the delivery part of it at the time, but considering how people can't drive to get an ID, it would have at least taken that argument off of the table (or they could have delivered only for disabled or homes where nobody had a license).
MallalieuAg
AG
My mom and I are in line to pay cash for what we bought and 2 fat ladies in front of us are pulling out food stamps from their Luis Vuitton purses.
AggieMD95
AG
techno-ag said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13427729/study-welfare-food-stamps-SNAP-junk-processed.html

Quote:

An alarming study has spotlighted how 42 million food stamp recipients spend their welfare handouts on ultra-processed junk food.

Coca-Cola, Sprite and other soft drinks are the most commonly-bought items via the $135 billion-a-year Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), a new study says.

Candy, potato chips, frozen pizza, ice cream, cookies, and other ultra-processed food dominates the top 20 items, says a report from the Economic Policy Innovation Center (EPIC).

More like junk food stamps, amiright? How much money you reckon these companies spend to make sure their products stay on the SNAP lists? Republicans are trying to change things, according to the article, but I'm not hopeful.

This is wasted tax money that leads to obesity and more wasted money on preventable healthcare issues.

Very sad
Logos Stick
You could buy food trucks to deliver non junk food for a lot cheaper. But that would be racism!
Phatbob
AG
The same reason people who win the lottery aren't rich 5 years later... they got into that position by making bad decisions. They will continue to make bad decisions with what they got. It's just subsidizing more bad decisions.
ChemAg15
AG
Equality means everybody gets to live like they make bad decisions
ME92
AG
Urban Ag said:

91AggieLawyer said:

I drank 2-4 Coke Zero's a day for at least 10 years. I just stopped cold turkey last year. One cup of black coffee in the morning and then, like you, sparkling water. Sometimes some jug ice tea (unsweet) or just tap water.

The amount of just "bloat" that comes off you over time is startling. Stopped drinking beer two. I may have one at dinner now and then but that's it.

Soda is terrible for people, even the zero calorie stuff.
Any advice on how to get away from the habit? I hate that I love my regular Coke so much.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.