offshore fast food workers replacing on prem workers

4,702 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by EX TEXASEX
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, about that ridiculously minimum wage NY that provides a "living wage" for taking orders.

I'm sure the libs will outlaw this soon.

Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Even if there were no minimum wage, how do compete for a job when you have no skills, you live in one of the most expensive cities in the world, and the next guy is willing to take less than half of your paycheck to do the same thing?

Most of the inbound call centers (customer support) I deal with are already some guy calling himself Steve but with a super thick Indian accent that's not fooling anybody. This is just the natural conclusion of all that.
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Read the title and thought they were putting McDonald's in the Gulf.

This is just hilarious. You have to interact with an offshore call center to order your combo meal.
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're ordering from a kiosk this seems like a waste of $3/hr. I guess the virtual worker is there to answer questions about how to order a burger without onions? That aside this is just the latest example of democrats hurting the people they pretend to want to help.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
JB93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look to Chic Fil A or other innovators to figure this out like they did for drive-thru service. Put a couple of stations out there that convert verbal to order (or touch pad if you don't speaka eng-less). Or maybe everything becomes APP based and you have to have an account to order. You place your order only when you are in line (governed by proximity since the App knows where you are). Charges the card you have set up on the APP. Cut staff down to just cooks and someone to hand out bags of food.
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LOYAL AG said:

If you're ordering from a kiosk this seems like a waste of $3/hr. I guess the virtual worker is there to answer questions about how to order a burger without onions? That aside this is just the latest example of democrats hurting the people they pretend to want to help.

Yes, consider the customer base there.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As technology progresses, I suspect we'll find ways to offshore, automate, or eliminate more and more jobs.
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.
Funny enough, the number is about the same as those willing to spend $24 on a Happy Meal.

There is a cost to transitioning to offshore workers. The insane policies of raising minimum wages on low skill work to where businesses are forced to incur costs for alternatives is the reason. But, good thing in California, Newsome gave his big donor, the owner of Panera Bread, an out on the minimum wage laws there. Why should McDonald's be forced to pay $8/hr more than Panera for the same no skill worker?
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"offshore" you say?

there are some good swimmers NY could use
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I suspect the biggest reason this hasn't already happened en masse is because most restaurants are just small businesses that don't have international infrastructure or contacts to do this. Even giant fast food chains are mostly just franchises and the various small business owners are in charge of staffing.

Otherwise, the savings could be enormous. A big busy restaurant could probably save a couple hundred thousand dollars per year. I think of chick fil a where you've got at least 10 people running it. If you save even $8 per head per hour, that's almost $1k per day (assuming a 12 hour day with constant staffing).
Fightin_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.


Don't worry soon this job will be replaced by AI which won't even be $3/hr
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.


Don't worry soon this job will be replaced by AI which won't even be $3/hr
Once this job can be done by a machine rather than a person, we'll also see way faster adoption since that's also a lot easier to implement.
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeeper79 said:

As technology progresses, I suspect we'll find ways to offshore, automate, or eliminate more and more jobs.


Jobs have gone to other countries for half a century now because businesses saw it saved them money. As someone mentioned above, this is just the next step, but it's nothing new to this country.
rgag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.


You pay your babysitters $70/hr? If I was a babysitter I'd be lining up to rob you blind too
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm trying to think what other positions you could shoehorn into this setup.

Receptionist
In-person customer service
Bank teller
Tom Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Now take away entitlements, and let us see what people are willing to do. The market should set the floor on wages.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rgag12 said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.


You pay your babysitters $70/hr? If I was a babysitter I'd be lining up to rob you blind too
3 times $3 (I should have clearer)
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Now take away entitlements, and let us see what people are willing to do. The market should set the floor on wages.


I never said the market shouldn't set the floor.

But someone making $3/hr is making $500 per month. That person is already not paying taxes. A person in this country can't even afford to be homeless on $500.

No matter what the floor is, you can't compete with $3/hr. And any sufficiently motivated capitalist is going to eventually find a way to pay his workers as little as possible.
Tom Fox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeeper79 said:

Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Now take away entitlements, and let us see what people are willing to do. The market should set the floor on wages.
Someone making $3/hr is making $500 per month. That person is already not paying taxes. A person in this country can't even afford to be homeless on $500.
Over 50% of all wage earners do not pay net federal income taxes, so that is nothing special. We are a nation of takers on the government dole.
kag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jeeper79 said:

I'm trying to think what other positions you could shoehorn into this setup.

Receptionist
In-person customer service
Bank teller


Banks are already rolling this out, have been since pre COVID. It works OK for limited service stuff. I am seeing more than a few fast food places trying app only ordering and you pick up at a window (Whataburger, Whichwhich and Cava have places in Austin). Not sure how they are doing compared to normal service though.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kag00 said:

Jeeper79 said:

I'm trying to think what other positions you could shoehorn into this setup.

Receptionist
In-person customer service
Bank teller


Banks are already rolling this out, have been since pre COVID. It works OK for limited service stuff. I am seeing more than a few fast food places trying app only ordering and you pick up at a window (Whataburger, Whichwhich and Cava have places in Austin). Not sure how they are doing compared to normal service though.
My local bank was doing remote tellers, but they weren't offshore and it must have gotten negative reviews because they took it out. I actually liked it. There was never a line and they were at least as fast.
BTKAG97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Lower the artificially inflated cost of living.
CheeseSndwch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to resist ordering from the kiosk but most places have just eliminated counter service altogether and the kitchen/drive-thru crew will just ignore you until it's time to hand you your food.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Lower the artificially inflated cost of living.
Can we lower it by 80%? That's my point her. Even 30 years ago, nobody would have taken a job for $3 per hour unless they were desperate. And it still wouldn't have been enough to live on back then either.

I agree we don't need a minimum wage. It just creates a proportional rise is prices and the minimum wage earner isn't actually getting a real-dollar raise. It just makes everything more expensive for everyone else.

My point is simply that this particular example is not a good argument against minimum wage because there's just no way a worker anywhere in the US could compete, even without minimum wage.
Ellis Wyatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
But these companies aren't hiring foreigners just to save money.

They're hiring foreigners because the cost of labor in New York has gotten ridiculously expensive. Pushing buttons on a cash register is not a $15/hour job and never has been. They e priced themselves out of jobs. Congrats?
peacedude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I were their boss, I'd give them .10c every time they ended an order with: "Thank you, come again!" in Apu's glorious accent.

It would make most customers laugh, and it would increase business.
StandUpforAmerica
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just another example of the decline in customer service.
I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
But these companies aren't hiring foreigners just to save money.

They're hiring foreigners because the cost of labor in New York has gotten ridiculously expensive. Pushing buttons on a cash register is not a $15/hour job and never has been. They e priced themselves out of jobs. Congrats?
The minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 and yet chick fil a in my area is paying cashiers an average of $14 per hour. Why? Because it's hard to find anyone to work for less.

Do you know a babysitter that gets paid less than $7.25 under the table (not subject to minimum wage laws)? If so, please let me know because we lost the one that worked for $10 and now we can't find one to do less than $15.

Again, my point isn't that minimum wage is good. It's probably a net negative and it don't think it actually works.

My point is that this is a bad example. Even in the absence of minimum wage laws, you can't find a person in this country willing to work a cashier job for $3 per hour unless you roll the clock back at least 50 years.
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeeper79 said:

I'm trying to think what other positions you could shoehorn into this setup.

Receptionist
In-person customer service
Bank teller


Any job that doesn't require in-person human interaction, so this would also include many primary care physicians, like the ones who do tele diagnosis. And if a physicians job can be sent overseas, pretty much anyone's job can be that doesn't require face-to-face.
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LOL this a crazy hilarious. On the one hand I'm glad democrats are so stupid when it comes to economics but on the other hand I'm getting tired of paying the price for their stupidity.
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeeper79 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
But these companies aren't hiring foreigners just to save money.

They're hiring foreigners because the cost of labor in New York has gotten ridiculously expensive. Pushing buttons on a cash register is not a $15/hour job and never has been. They e priced themselves out of jobs. Congrats?
The minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 and yet chick fil a in my area is paying cashiers an average of $14 per hour. Why? Because it's hard to find anyone to work for less.
.

So we don't need minimum wage laws then. Glad we agree.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Jeeper79 said:

I'm trying to think what other positions you could shoehorn into this setup.

Receptionist
In-person customer service
Bank teller


Any job that doesn't require in-person human interaction, so this would also include many primary care physicians, like the ones who do tele diagnosis. And if a physicians job can be sent overseas, pretty much anyone's job can be that doesn't require face-to-face.
When I was is business school, we presented a mock business that contracted with hospitals to perform "double check" imaging analyses overseas. The idea was to provide a cheap second set of eyes to validate primary results. Of course now AI can do that cheaper and better.
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Logos Stick said:

Jeeper79 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
But these companies aren't hiring foreigners just to save money.

They're hiring foreigners because the cost of labor in New York has gotten ridiculously expensive. Pushing buttons on a cash register is not a $15/hour job and never has been. They e priced themselves out of jobs. Congrats?
The minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 and yet chick fil a in my area is paying cashiers an average of $14 per hour. Why? Because it's hard to find anyone to work for less.
.

So we don't need minimum wage laws then. Glad we agree.
I never said we did need them. *facepalm*
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.