offshore fast food workers replacing on prem workers

5,699 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by EX TEXASEX
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our new technology also prevents the worker from being assaulted violently by obese angry democrats who got an incorrect amount of fries.

Probably in the sales pitch.
Urban Ag
AG
Jeeper79 said:

As technology progresses, I suspect we'll find ways to offshore, automate, or eliminate more and more jobs.
ya think?

Madman
AG
Urban Ag said:

Jeeper79 said:

As technology progresses, I suspect we'll find ways to offshore, automate, or eliminate more and more jobs.
ya think?

I hear you can look at foreign girls get naked now on the internet. So it's true.
Ellis Wyatt
Jeeper79 said:

Quote:

But these companies aren't hiring foreigners just to save money.

They're hiring foreigners because the cost of labor in New York has gotten ridiculously expensive. Pushing buttons on a cash register is not a $15/hour job and never has been. They e priced themselves out of jobs. Congrats?
The minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 and yet chick fil a in my area is paying cashiers an average of $14 per hour. Why? Because it's hard to find anyone to work for less.
Yes, because inflation (caused directly by our government) has been stupid over the last few years, well since the Alzheimer's Patient in Chief took office. The cost of everything is up.

And as Tom Fox pointed out, our safety net is too cushy and gives too many options to people who don't want to work.
Jeeper79
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

Jeeper79 said:

Quote:

They're hiring foreigners because the cost of labor in New York has gotten ridiculously expensive. Pushing buttons on a cash register is not a $15/hour job and never has been. They e priced themselves out of jobs. Congrats?
The minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 and yet chick fil a in my area is paying cashiers an average of $14 per hour. Why? Because it's hard to find anyone to work for less.
Yes, because inflation (caused directly by our government) has been stupid over the last few years, well since the Alzheimer's Patient in Chief took office. The cost of everything is up.

And as Tom Fox pointed out, our safety net is too cushy and gives too many options to people who don't want to work.
The safety net is a problem but it's not THIS problem. Again, take away minimum wage and the safety net and a person in this country still literally can not survive on $3 per hour. Nor have they been able for most of our lifetimes.
bobbranco
AG
Jeeper79 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Jeeper79 said:

Quote:

The safety net is a problem but it's not THIS problem. Again, take away minimum wage and the safety net and a person in this country still literally can not survive on $3 per hour. Nor have they been able for most of our lifetimes.
He's probably talking about handouts to assist people who won't work for $14 per hour. If they won't work for $3 per hour as you suggest is the answer to 'safety net removal' then they definitely will sit at home, not work, and collect $14 per hour in handouts.
Jeeper79
AG
bobbranco said:

Jeeper79 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

Jeeper79 said:

Quote:

He's probably talking about handouts to assist people who won't work for $14 per hour. If they won't work for $3 per hour as you suggest is the answer to 'safety net removal' then they definitely will sit at home, not work, and collect $14 per hour in handouts.
You missed my point. Remove the $14 handout and they still won't take the $3 job. Even a high schooler with no safety net won't take the $3 job.
Urban Ag
AG
Who is offering $3/hour jobs?

akm91
AG
Why are you comparing cost of US living to offshore rate?
Jeeper79
AG
akm91 said:

Why are you comparing cost of US living to offshore rate?
Because we live in a global economy now where someone can (and did) hire someone offshore for $3 to do a traditionally local job.

As $3 per hour workers become viable for more and more industries, we should expect to see workforce replacement that simply removing minimum wages and safety nets still couldn't stop.
bobbranco
AG
$7.25 min wage. No $3/h jobs. Get a grip.

No one will take the $7.25/h job, much less $14/h, when $14/h+ for sitting at home is available.

Jeepers.
Jeeper79
AG
bobbranco said:

No one will take the $7.25/h job, much less $14/h, when $14/h+ for sitting at home is available.

Jeepers.
You're missing my point…

Minimum wage or no minimum wage. Entitlements or no entitlements. Jobs will continue to move overseas as people find more and more ways to leverage the obscenely cheap workforce on the other side of the world.

Once it becomes easy enough to use cashiers on the other side of the world all over the place, that minimum wage job won't even be worth minimum wage anymore. It'll be worth $3 per hour.
bobbranco
AG
Cannot discern this point from your post. But yes jobs will go overseas or go to a machine. Steve taking orders in India for my coffee may drive customers away. Voice recognition is probably the best solution to the Steve problem.
Jeeper79
AG
And for what it's worth, the restaurant owner in the OP is probably breaking all kinds of laws because they're probably not doing it all the right way as far as either government is concerned - business registration, payroll taxes, etc.
Tom Fox
Jeeper79 said:

bobbranco said:

Jeepers.
You're missing my point…

Minimum wage or no minimum wage. Entitlements or no entitlements. Jobs will continue to move overseas as people find more and more ways to leverage the obscenely cheap workforce on the other side of the world.

Once it becomes easy enough to use cashiers on the other side of the world all over the place, that minimum wage job won't even be worth minimum wage anymore. It'll be worth $3 per hour.

Then the people that don't have a skill marketable enough to command a living wage will perish. Everything will be cheaper for the survivors.

And some businesses will pay Americans top dollar for service jobs because their customers are willing to pay to not be waited on by "Dave" aka Ranjit.
Jeeper79
AG
Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

bobbranco said:

Jeepers.
You're missing my point…

Then the people that don't have a skill marketable enough to command a living wage will perish. Everything will be cheaper for the survivors.

And some businesses will pay Americans top dollar for service jobs because their customers are willing to pay to not be waited on by "Dave" aka Ranjit.
Screw "America first", amiright?
Tom Fox
Keeping Americans supported by the taxes of other Americans that would not survive due to natural selection has nothing to do with America first.

And it is Capitalist America first.
Point Man 81
AG
EMY92 said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.
Funny enough, the number is about the same as those willing to spend $24 on a Happy Meal.

There is a cost to transitioning to offshore workers. The insane policies of raising minimum wages on low skill work to where businesses are forced to incur costs for alternatives is the reason. But, good thing in California, Newsome gave his big donor, the owner of Panera Bread, an out on the minimum wage laws there. Why should McDonald's be forced to pay $8/hr more than Panera for the same no skill worker?
Just think how much better we will be when that idiot replaces the vegetable and is elected President for the next 8 years.
Logos Stick
Jeeper79 said:

And for what it's worth, the restaurant owner in the OP is probably breaking all kinds of laws because they're probably not doing it all the right way as far as either government is concerned - business registration, payroll taxes, etc.

Nah. Offshoring has been happening since the textile mills moved offshore to Asia in the 70s. This is well established, old school stuff.
Jeeper79
AG
Logos Stick said:

Jeeper79 said:

Nah. Offshoring has been happening since the textile mills moved offshore to Asia in the 70s. This is well established, old school stuff.
Oh I'm sure of that much. I just don't know if Joe Schmo is dotting his Is and crossing his Ts. Conducting fast food orders via zoom doesn't exactly scream "I have everything under control".
Stat Monitor Repairman
DannyDuberstein
AG
I have to applaud the creativity. Where govt puts in regulations, life finds a way
Zeke1995
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Read the title and thought they were putting McDonald's in the Gulf.

This is just hilarious. You have to interact with an offshore call center to order your combo meal.
doubledog
Four words... Fast Food Vending Machines. One manager runs everything from their office.

Jeeper79
AG
bobbranco said:

Cannot discern this point from your post. But yes jobs will go overseas or go to a machine. Steve taking orders in India for my coffee may drive customers away. Voice recognition is probably the best solution to the Steve problem.
Dude! I just got off a call with my credit card support. He was clearly from India and called himself Steve.

Do you think they get to pick their own fake names or are they assigned?
waitwhat?
As if it's not difficult enough to understand people at a drive thru speaker.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
richardag
Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Those jobs were never meant to provide a living wage. They used to be worked by teens and college students as low level entry level jobs. Libs decided that taking fast food orders should be a career and here we are.
Doesn't matter what the minimum wage is or if there's no minimum wage at all. Find me one person in the US willing to work for $24 per day.

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Now take away entitlements, and let us see what people are willing to do. The market should set the floor on wages.
Someone making $3/hr is making $500 per month. That person is already not paying taxes. A person in this country can't even afford to be homeless on $500.
Over 50% of all wage earners do not pay net federal income taxes, so that is nothing special. We are a nation of takers on the government dole.
Ther is social security and Medicare taxes paid
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Trajan88
AG
This works ... as long as when I order a burger w/ no onions... there will be no onions on the burger.

It is 50-50 or 60-40 there will be onions on the burger when I order via a live person these days (no matter how many times i state the request).
SuhrThang
Hello, my name is BAUB, would you like fries with that?
“A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one”
Tom Fox
1/2 of it anyway. Their employer pays the other half. That is not a lot of taxes. But you can be damn sure that they are spending my tax money.

Entitlements have to end.
samurai_science
richardag said:

Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

Tom Fox said:

Jeeper79 said:

Logos Stick said:

Heck, I don't even know a high school babysitter that makes less than 3 times that hourly rate.
Now take away entitlements, and let us see what people are willing to do. The market should set the floor on wages.
Someone making $3/hr is making $500 per month. That person is already not paying taxes. A person in this country can't even afford to be homeless on $500.
Over 50% of all wage earners do not pay net federal income taxes, so that is nothing special. We are a nation of takers on the government dole.
Ther is social security and Medicare taxes paid
Compare what they get back to what they pay in. Its still a NEGATIVE tax rate
91AggieLawyer
AG
Jeeper79 said:

bobbranco said:

Jeepers.
You're missing my point…

It isn't THAT cheap. It certainly isn't $3 an hour like everyone on here seems to think. Sure, the WORKERS are getting that, but that isn't what the business hiring the workers is paying. Someone over there has to do the hiring, firing, make sure that they get people that speak English, train them, etc. They have to provide the resources for the workers to dial in. Even if the workers call in from home, there is still some level of management/oversight.

The contract, if it is phrased in worker pay per hour, is probably somewhere around 3x what the worker is getting. Hell, with employers in the US paying SS (and don't think for a second it is only "half"), their wage alone, even without benefits, may still be as low a 67% of their pay, depending on their wage level. This is a long term deal to see if it is a viable option going forward.

If we had far less regulation and no minimum wage law, businesses could pay $10, 12 an hour and without regulation and government interference (not to mention fewer entitlements and the enforcement of border laws), maybe other prices wouldn't be so high. Thus, a domestic worker MIGHT be willing to work for those wages.

You're arguing about a system that is constantly moving without addressing the movement.
AtticusMatlock
Even some hospitals have gone to tele hospitalists. The nurse has to stand in there for 30 minutes helping the screen do the assessment, including moving the electronic stethoscope, palpating pulses, etc. It's not real medicine. It saves hospitals some money, so the execs love it.
EX TEXASEX
Logos Stick said:

Yeah, about that ridiculously minimum wage NY that provides a "living wage" for taking orders.

I'm sure the libs will outlaw this soon.

Plus you don't have to worry about them beating up or shooting the customers !!
#FJB
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.