But more than that..

10,879 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by agclassof08
rocky the dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Some of the bigger school districts have so many assistants, secretaries, etc. I figured they would lighten that position prior to librarians. But then again, do kids even read books anymore?

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
APHIS AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Some of the bigger school districts have so many assistants, secretaries, etc. I figured they would lighten that position prior to librarians. But then again, do kids even read books anymore?
No, they have drag queens do all the reading.
CactusThomas
AG
Sims said:

I'm all for budget consciousness from ISDs as long as they don't turn a blind eye to profligate spending here:

HS football is the only redeemable value in socialized education
vansprinkle
AG
CactusThomas said:

Sims said:

I'm all for budget consciousness from ISDs as long as they don't turn a blind eye to profligate spending here:

As much as I love HS football, 90% of it could be cut at every school. If they can't make enough money from butts in seats, they shouldn't build fancy stadiums and have fancy equipment.

If people care enough, they'll pay $50/ticket to watch the hometown team. Losing money at $5/ticket doesn't cover the electric bill for the night.
CactusThomas
AG
That's fair as long as the rest of the public school system is burned down first
91AggieLawyer
AG
Tea Party said:

texsn95 said:

My wife is a teacher at CFISD but is safe.

This reads like big gov propaganda.

That's exactly what it is. And no, everyone does NOT agree it is not good. In fact, it (vouchers) work where they've been implemented. Its just that they haven't been implemented in very many places due to...government propaganda.

Another example of government institutions saying they can't do with less while demanding you do with less.
96AgGrad
AG
Why are they overspending their security budget by 2400%?

I get that its a necessity, but it sounds like something that could have been phased in without chopping so many heads.
Turf96
96AgGrad said:

I get that its a necessity, but it sounds like something that could have been phased in without chopping so many heads.

Because we have a society of pukes we have to try and prevent from doing stupid stuff. Had we taken out the trash years ago and made examples of these idiots we would have far less security needed. Instead we let them breed on.

Serious 50 years ago we dealt with those that threatened civility harshly. Now we wonder how to reach these poor upset people. I say take out the trash that threaten or children and pretty soon that number can come back down.
bigjag19
AG
96AgGrad said:

That's probably universal with the new state laws that everyone had to follow.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
I believe they include their police department in that line item. It has bloated massively the last few years like everything else.
TRADUCTOR
Chat gpt is tap dancing on the graveyard of librarians for free.
Cromagnum
AG
Sims said:

I don't know why anything more than this is required. Taxpayers are tired of paying for all these high-schools posing as junior colleges.

vansprinkle
AG
The thing with those stadiums is that they're paid for with bonds, and that's what everyone hides behind. Well bonds hit the taxpayers as a tax, so people see their tax bill go up when they approve the bond. Then the school comes back the next year looking for another bond, and another tax. Then the next it's the same. After many years in a row of always getting that bond passed, people finally get fed up and quit passing bonds. Then the teachers and administrators get all pissy because they've assumed they'll keep getting their bonds passed and set a budget for upcoming years based on bonds being passed in perpetuity.
agracer
AG
This group who made the flyer must be run by the same "pro school" group in our district in Kansas. Half truths and lies to get the voter base, who won't actually research the claims, all riled up against the GOP.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Cromagnum said:

Sims said:

I don't know why anything more than this is required. Taxpayers are tired of paying for all these high-schools posing as junior colleges.

Could you imagine the outcry over wooden bleachers?
agracer
AG
96AgGrad said:

CFISd started their own police force in 2013 or so. So instead of renting security for events, they now employ their own security.
Ghost Mech
Sims said:

That stadium has been around since I played Jr High football in it in the 1980s. That land, concrete, and glass have been paid for years now......

bigjag19
AG
Yeah. I definitely don't remember it being built in the 2000s
Sims
AG
Ghost Mech said:

Sims said:

That stadium has been around since I played Jr High football in it in the 1980s. That land, concrete, and glass have been paid for years now......

It's an illustrative point, not an absolute one and you're really not accomplishing much but pointing out the specific circumstance today. (Let's ignore the several bonds that have been passed since 2004 to upgrade the Berry Center shall we?)

It's all a bunch of extend and pretend. The actuarial assumptions used to underwrite the Cy-Fair pension obligations is 2.3% inflation. Let's just agree that is incorrect.

The propensity of ISDs to shift maintenance and operating expenses into debt service obligations is alarming, needs to end and is very dangerous for the long term viability of the system.
agwrestler
AG
chase128 said:

aggiehawg said:

How about cutting admin staff instead of librarians? Would seem to me there would be even bigger savings by doing that.

CFISD superintendent sent out a long email yesterday talking about this. If they laid off everyone at the central office they'd still be in the red. The district already has one of the lowest administration costs in the state.

Budget deficit has stemed from lowered attendance since covid, inflation, and the federal govt adding on more regulations and providing less funding.

That sounds like some fantasy land fiction bs there.
Playing the victim so Robin Hood will come save them.

100% admin layoff will not balance the budget, but 50 librarians compensation packages will? How much are librarians making these days?
doubledog
aggiehawg said:

How about cutting admin staff instead of librarians? Would seem to me there would be even bigger savings by doing that.
I would settle for a deep pay cut for administrators...
cevans_40
AG
Sims said:

You want them to get rid of the one department that makes money?
doubledog
CactusThomas said:

Sims said:

Is HS football more important than a good education? One wonders.
LeonardSkinner
Going through something similar in Jacksonville, Florida.

Public school enrollment decreasing, COVID money going away, etc. Leading towards discussion of closing and consolidating several schools.

A big talking point is that charter/private schools are stealing money.

Never mind that some of these schools are a stone's throw from each other, or that others would be of retirement age if they were people (if not dead already). And ultimately, if they better served the public, they wouldn't be sending their kids elsewhere.
Sims
AG
cevans_40 said:

Sims said:

You don't keep the ***** car because it's got one good tire.

I also didn't say get rid of sports - though I do agree with the poster that said earlier they should be more booster and club type than official functions of the ISD.

What I did say is that I would like ISD's to pay as much attention to how the spend money on palatial sports venues as they claim to be paying to the things they can't do because of a lack of state funding.
Sims
AG
cevans_40 said:

Sims said:

But for the sake of argument...show your work.

Including costs of transportation, staffing, facilities, equipment, insurance, maintenance etc...does the football program in CFISD generate revenues in excess of the expenses?
Ag87H2O
AG
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim said:

I'm in CFISD, married to an ES teacher and in that huge FB group about 'parents for librarians'...it is a massive echo chamber and everyone blames republicans and Abbott. Everyone is begging for raising taxes to save the librarians. If you even begin to point out this is a spending problem years in the making, the massive unnecessary facilities (new admin building and performing arts center), bloated admin salaries or anything else, 18 karens jump your ass.

They are all ok with facilities because "paid by bonds" are different, but fail to realize how the M&O taxrate is impacted with so much of the total having to go to pay debt...

We're going private in the fall.
Not to mention the fact that every one of those new facilities creates added operational costs.

I don't know the current number, but ten years ago I was told every new elementary school adds over a million dollars per year in operational costs - personnel, maintenance, utilities, upkeep - over and above the cost of the facility. Junior Highs and High Schools are significantly more, and these auxillary facilities are no different.

This is what they never mention when pushing these huge bond issues for new schools, athletic facilities, transportion centers, administration complexes, event centers, etc... Yes, the cost of the facilities is covered by the debt service portion of the tax rate, which is accounted for separately from the M&O rate. It still adds to the overall tax rate. And every one of those facilites also adds significant new increases to the M&O rate due to the cost of staffing and operations.
Al Bula
AG
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
and my favorite...

They're on like elementary school number 60 or something now. The first 50 or so were all built open concept where classrooms are separated by filing cabinets, book cases, etc. Now that is deemed not safe, so we have to spend billions to go renovate every campus and enclose them. All in the name of 'safety'...
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim said:

and my favorite...

They're on like elementary school number 60 or something now. The first 50 or so were all built open concept where classrooms are separated by filing cabinets, book cases, etc. Now that is deemed not safe, so we have to spend billions to go renovate every campus and enclose them. All in the name of 'safety'...
Precisely.

Where's the innovation in methods?
Squadron7
AG
Why do we treat school librarians like they are well versed in the subject matters found in their collections rather than just being knowledgeable in the organization of collections?

They are warehouse managers, not the Oracle of Delphi.
agracer
AG
Ghost Mech said:

Sims said:

Not that one . You're thinking of Pridgeon off Windfern Rd. I played there to in the 80s.

That picture is Barry Center was built in 2006 and is not just a football stadium.
Tabasco
AG
I was gonna say, does not look like an '80's building, but was just gonna let him roll with it.
AggieMD95
AG
Wake me up when the next school district bond prop fails. Until then … your taxes won't drop
AggieVictor10
AG
Sims said:

I would love to see the reasoning for spending so much on this stuff. I'm sure focus on athletic achievement is important for the youth of today but the spending still seems out of proportion.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.