United Methodists to allow LGBTQ clergy

15,201 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Leonard H. Stringfield
Ag-Yoakum95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txwxman said:

Yale said:

I pray for the souls of those that continue to follow false doctrine. Have mercy on them.

Perhaps instead of judging your neighbors, you could pray for peace or somesuch?
How is he judging his neighbors with his comment? He's praying for these goobers to turn from their sin, which the Bible clearly talks about.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Teslag said:

There's a decent chance that rural church has left the UMC and gone independent.
Now a part of Global
https://www.rosehillmethodist.org/
P.U.T.U
AG
It says in the bible that men should be the heads of the church. If a church wants to go against the bible that is on them.

I have seen several methodist and episcopal churches push hard to get the LGBTQ in church. I used to go to an episcopal church that was lead by a retired marine chaplin, he got out when they started pushing all this stuff. Too much politics for him and he was retirement age
Muy
AG
Ag-Yoakum95 said:

txwxman said:

Yale said:

I pray for the souls of those that continue to follow false doctrine. Have mercy on them.

Perhaps instead of judging your neighbors, you could pray for peace or somesuch?
How is he judging his neighbors with his comment? He's praying for these goobers to turn from their sin, which the Bible clearly talks about.

Because it's easier for lazy people to simply accuse someone of being "judge mental", when to "judge" as God is to determine someone spending eternity in heaven or hell. Discerning good from bad, right from wrong is not "judging" someone.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
AGinHI
AG
txwxman said:

Yale said:

What you're doing here is casting judgment that someone's beliefs and associated behavior is disagreeable to you, to which you offer a behavior which is more preferable, again, to you.

Thus, judging your neighbor.

Well done.
ds00
P.U.T.U said:

It says in the bible that men should be the heads of the church. If a church wants to go against the bible that is on them.

I have seen several methodist and episcopal churches push hard to get the LGBTQ in church. I used to go to an episcopal church that was lead by a retired marine chaplin, he got out when they started pushing all this stuff. Too much politics for him and he was retirement age
There are many parts of the Bible that we should all agree a church should go against. Slavery, genocide, rape, etc.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Another in a long history of examples of what happens when you try to compromise with liberals. The slippery slope is real.
Keller6Ag91
AG
ds00 said:

P.U.T.U said:

There are many parts of the Bible that we should all agree a church should go against. Slavery, genocide, rape, etc.

Agreed. it's just that list is a lot longer including all matters of sexual sin. Same sex Relationships, fornication adultery. GOD's holiness doesn't waver to our weak demands. All of us are guilty of sin at one level or another.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Wyoming Aggie
AG
Who gives a **** if they are gay? Nobody forces you to go to the church. I get sick and tired of "Christians" judging people. Isn't God the judge?
AggieVictor10
AG
txwxman said:

Yale said:

Nah it's easier to judge and virtue signal
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

Who gives a **** if they are gay? Nobody forces you to go to the church. I get sick and tired of "Christians" judging people. Isn't God the judge?

I care. Practicing homosexuals, fornicators, as well as deviants shouldn't lead the church.

Christians aren't necessarily judging but a big point of Jesus's ministry is to repent and sin no more. Openly being of sin and tying that to your identity isn't biblical or even remotely dogmatically congruent with what Christ taught us.

God is the ultimate judge but that doesn't mean we as disciples should be cool with sinners professing their sins openly and proudly with their actions/behavior/identity.

Hope that helps.
AgNav93
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

This is what speaking on a topic that you know absolutely nothing about looks like. Most would just remain silent.
AgDotCom
Wyoming Aggie said:

The Bible gives clear guidance to avoid people with certain behaviors. If you have spent any meaningful time in it, you would know that. To ascertain those reasons to avoid, you have no choice but to judge.

I agree if your church is ignoring biblical doctrine, just leave rather than fight it.

The Bible prophesied the apostasy we're seeing in the church today, this comes as no surprise to those who read it.
Nanomachines son
Wyoming Aggie said:

Women should not be pastors or priests, neither should men who actively preach lifestyles that are sinful.

The Bible is very clear about these things.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
AgDotCom said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

The Bible gives clear guidance to avoid people with certain behaviors. If you have spent any meaningful time in it, you would know that. To ascertain those reasons to avoid, you have no choice but to judge.

I agree if your church is ignoring biblical doctrine, just leave rather than fight it.

The Bible prophesied the apostasy we're seeing in the church today, this comes as no surprise to those who read it.

I read the Bible. I'm a practicing Catholic. I also don't judge other people for what they do on a Sunday. Why? Because it's none of my damn business. We are all made in God's image. I'm sure you've read about that though.
AgNav93
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

AgDotCom said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

I read the Bible. I'm a practicing Catholic. I also don't judge other people for what they do on a Sunday. Why? Because it's none of my damn business. We are all made in God's image. I'm sure you've read about that though.
Then I would say your reading comprehension is lacking or you are not being truthful. Especially if you are a "practicing" Catholic. Surely you know your own church's stance on female clergy? It is a correct one, too.
AnScAggie
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

AgDotCom said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

This rings hollow to me. If you're a practicing Catholic and can not understand why a certain group of Methodists does not want to have church leaders that are aligned with or participants in LBGQT+++ then I am not sure where to begin a reasonable discussion with you.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

AgDotCom said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

Catholic here. Talk to your pastor brother.
shack009
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

AgDotCom said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

You aren't a very good practicing Catholic if you can't understand why it's a bad idea to have a pastor/priest who is openly defiant of God's will and would certainly teach/preach the same defiance.

We are certainly allowed to "judge" the incorrect teachings of immoral actors to be incorrect and immoral.
AGinHI
AG
Judging someone as irredeemably lost to damnation is one thing.

However, nonjudgmentalism as the highest regard has contributed to flourishing wickedness and misery.

Nonjudgmentalism is one factor that has lulled people to allowing violent, anarchic, anti-American, anti-Semitic, anti-White behavior with impunity.

It is nonjudgmentalism that has allowed the current drug epidemic, deterioration of our cities, decay of civilization, and people living like animals in the streets.

For one example from my 25 years in mental health, it is nonjudgmentalism that ignores a teenage girls promiscuity, leading to parenthood, unstable and often violent relationships, and attempts to "treat" her diagnoses as if they all originated within her brain.

Below are excerpts from The Rush from Judgment by famed psychiatrist Anthony Malcolm Daniels, better known by his pen name Theodore Dalrymple:

Quote:

Apologists for nonjudgmentalism point, above all, to its supposed quality of compassion. A man who judges others will sometimes condemn them and therefore deny them aid and assistance: whereas the man who refuses to judge excludes no one from his all-embracing compassion. He never asks where his fellowman's suffering comes from, whether it be self-inflicted or no: for whatever its source, he sympathizes with it and succors the sufferer.

Quote:

If the doctor has a duty to relieve the suffering of his patients, he must have some idea where that suffering comes from, and this involves the retention of judgment, including moral judgment. And if, as far as he can tell in good faith, the misery of his patients derives from the way they live, he has a duty to tell them sowhich often involves a more or less explicit condemnation of their way of life as completely incompatible with a satisfying existence. By avoiding the issue, the doctor is not being kind to his patients; he is being cowardly. Moreover, by refusing to place the onus on the patients to improve their lot, he is likely to mislead them into supposing that he has some purely technical or pharmacological answer to their problems, thus helping to perpetuate them.

Quote:

In any case, nonjudgmentalism is not really nonjudgmental. It is the judgment that . . . everything is the same, nothing is better. This is as barbaric and untruthful a doctrine as has yet emerged from the fertile mind of man.
Teslag
AG

Quote:

I read the Bible. I'm a practicing Catholic. I also don't judge other people for what they do on a Sunday. Why? Because it's none of my damn business.

How do you spread the word if you can't tell them what sin is and they should repent?
Carmine Scarpacio
Teslag said:

Quote:

I read the Bible. I'm a practicing Catholic. I also don't judge other people for what they do on a Sunday. Why? Because it's none of my damn business.

How do you spread the word if you can't tell them what sin is and they should repent?
They don't do that. The UMC is basically a progressive PAC these days.

I went dove hunting in the Rio Grande Valley last year. It is about 97% hispanic. I pull into a coffee shop and there are a bunch of typical white leftist vehicles out front -- Subarus, etc. -- that have all these pro abortion, pro gay, *****Trump bumper stickers all over them. The Valley is blue. But not that kind of blue. It is hard working Mexicans who are Christians and not really progressive. I walk inside and it is a bunch of out of town white United Methodist clergy in town for a conference. Most of them short haired bull dyke looking women. Very out of place for the RGV.
samurai_science
Yale said:

Why have mercy? God of Israel wont, hes very clear on this.
txwxman
The evangelical church ceded its moral authority when it went all-in on Trump. Its adherents can talk all they want about sin and morality, but no one will listen. Leaders in the evangelical church endorsed an ends-justify-the-means mentality. They went small to get a few judges on the bench and change public policy for a decade or two. And destroyed the church's credibility in the process.
Teslag
AG
Every single evangelical Christian went all in Trump?
Teslag
AG
And even if they did they aren't ordaining Trump to be the messenger of God in their churches
Sharpshooter
AG
txwxman said:

The evangelical church ceded its moral authority when it went all-in on Trump. Its adherents can talk all they want about sin and morality, but no one will listen. Leaders in the evangelical church endorsed an ends-justify-the-means mentality. They went small to get a few judges on the bench and change public policy for a decade or two. And destroyed the church's credibility in the process.
Therein lies the problem. Accept Jesus. It is not complicated.
The Shank Ag
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

I care. Practicing homosexuals, fornicators, as well as deviants shouldn't lead the church.

Christians aren't necessarily judging but a big point of Jesus's ministry is to repent and sin no more. Openly being of sin and tying that to your identity isn't biblical or even remotely dogmatically congruent with what Christ taught us.

God is the ultimate judge but that doesn't mean we as disciples should be cool with sinners professing their sins openly and proudly with their actions/behavior/identity.

Hope that helps.

Amen

A church that advertises and promotes sin isn't biblical, it's heretical. Repentance requires an attempt at change. The UMC has removed that requirement.
The Shank Ag
Teslag said:

Every single evangelical Christian went all in Trump?

I go to a very VERY conservative baptist church after being a lifelong Methodist. Our preacher speaks at least once a month about the degradation of society with regards to "alternative" genders/sexuality. He also has said outside of the church that he wishes someone other than trump would be the nominee. He isn't sold on Trump being saved or a Christian in general. He does like that Trump fights for Christianity, though again that is all an obvious self-serving agenda.
bobbranco
AG
BBRex said:

I thought they already allowed them.

Quote:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) United Methodist delegates repealed their church's longstanding ban on LGBTQ clergy with no debate on Wednesday, removing a rule forbidding "self-avowed practicing homosexuals" from being ordained or appointed as ministers.

https://apnews.com/article/acabe18fe22b6838e3005ad8895534fa

Methodists buggered this one up.
12thMan9
AG
Carmine Scarpacio said:

Teslag said:

Quote:

They don't do that. The UMC is basically a progressive PAC these days.

I went dove hunting in the Rio Grande Valley last year. It is about 97% hispanic. I pull into a coffee shop and there are a bunch of typical white leftist vehicles out front -- Subarus, etc. -- that have all these pro abortion, pro gay, *****Trump bumper stickers all over them. The Valley is blue. But not that kind of blue. It is hard working Mexicans who are Christians and not really progressive. I walk inside and it is a bunch of out of town white United Methodist clergy in town for a conference. Most of them short haired bull dyke looking women. Very out of place for the RGV.
Yet you found the ONE coffee shop. Makes us wonder........
Ronnie '88
MelvinUdall
No Spin Ag said:

Sharpshooter said:

Teslag said:

The methodist church split the past couple of years with the UMC being left to be more like a Unitarian church that doesn't really follow Christ or the Bible. It's more of a spiritual social club than Christian church in practice.
Ala, Joel Osteen.

There has never been a greater smoke and mirrors "Christian" leader than him.

Harvey in 2017 should have been a huge eye opener regarding Olsteen…look what Mack did in comparison to Olsteen.
MelvinUdall
txwxman said:

They did? Are you sure about that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.