United Methodists to allow LGBTQ clergy

15,944 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Leonard H. Stringfield
AgNav93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txwxman said:

The evangelical church ceded its moral authority when it went all-in on Trump. Its adherents can talk all they want about sin and morality, but no one will listen. Leaders in the evangelical church endorsed an ends-justify-the-means mentality. They went small to get a few judges on the bench and change public policy for a decade or two. And destroyed the church's credibility in the process.

Ah yes there it is. I was wondering when TDS would rear its ugly head on this thread. I'm Baptist now and not once, not one single time have Trump, or politics, for that matter been mentioned from the pulpit or in the pews. But nice try on the hypocrit angle.
Fins Up!
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

Who gives a **** if they are gay? Nobody forces you to go to the church. I get sick and tired of "Christians" judging people. Isn't God the judge?

St. Paul's Second Letter to the Corinthians says, "Hello."
Martin Cash
AG
txwxman said:

The evangelical church ceded its moral authority when it went all-in on Trump. Its adherents can talk all they want about sin and morality, but no one will listen. Leaders in the evangelical church endorsed an ends-justify-the-means mentality. They went small to get a few judges on the bench and change public policy for a decade or two. And destroyed the church's credibility in the process.
There is no entity of the 'evangelical church.' If there were, I guess they should have supported a man who has lied about his entire life and career. A man who stole his best friend's wife, showered with his daughter and loves to fondle little girls and got filthy rich on a politician's salary. Talk about end justifies the means.
Sharpshooter
AG
When does A&M next play baseball?
zephyr88
AG
If you can lick 'em, join 'em?
mjschiller
AG
The UMC just made satan happy. He now has more minions.
ts5641
And the UMC continues it's death spiral. So glad I left the UMC when the writing was on the wall. Found a bible believing church that's not afraid to speak the truth.
aggiedata
AG
StandUpforAmerica
Cringe warning.....

Gigem314
AG
The Babylon Bee always knows the right buttons to push.

Their jabs at Osteen over the years have been great too.
aggiedata
AG
12thMan9
AG
AgNav93 said:

txwxman said:

Ah yes there it is. I was wondering when TDS would rear its ugly head on this thread. I'm Baptist now and not once, not one single time have Trump, or politics, for that matter been mentioned from the pulpit or in the pews. But nice try on the hypocrit angle.

Dr. Ed Young would like a word.
Ronnie '88
Gigem314
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

Cringe warning.....

Well…that's uh…really something. Aside from it looking and feeling like Hillary Clinton took over a church…I just have one simple question…

Where's Jesus?

Not a single mention of Jesus Christ and salvation/healing through the death and resurrection of Christ.

Take the focus off Jesus Christ…and this is what you get.
Nanomachines son

The United Methodist Church is dead, they have gone full Unitarian Universalist.

This is no longer a Christian denomination at all.
doubledog
Practicing. ?

Quote:

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 18:22

Hey if we are ignoring bible verses, then there are a few I would like to ignore too.

And don't give me crap about wearing pants... We are talking about important things here.
Deuteronomy 22:5 (which is about Transsexualities, not women wearing pants)

https://www.openbible.info/topics/if_a_man_shall_lay_with_another_man_let_him_be_stoned
TheRatt87
Communism is a religion of malcontents focused solely on destruction. It's why they couldn't establish a new institution based upon their own beliefs. They had to infect an existing institution, use the values of the people in the institution against them, assume the positions of power, and destroy from within.

The UMC is only the latest example. It's already happened in other denominations, public schools, universities, media, etc.
Carmine Scarpacio
12thMan9 said:

AgNav93 said:

txwxman said:

Dr. Ed Young would like a word.
He does. But for every Ed Young you have about 100 black church ministers or woke UMC/Preby/Episcopalian ministers getting political from the pulpit.

My church is conservative and Baptist. The pastor does not touch politics even though 80 percent of the congregation would share his views. For one, it is wrong to preach politics from pulpit (though some things are both political and religious like abortion). Also, the 20% on left would revolt and it would divide the church.

I like Ed Young a lot and admire a ton of what SBC does. I am very conservative. But I do not attend there despite my daughter going to SBS and living very close because I do not believe secular politics should be in the pulpit.
Carmine Scarpacio
Stealing this from twitter responses:

"There is no true faith, that is, justifying faith, which hath not the righteousness of Christ for its object." John Wesley, the Father of Methodism.
Buck Turgidson
The UMC is flat out heretical at this point. I was raised going to a prominent UMC church growing up, but I switched to a biblically based church in college and never looked back. The mainline protestant denominations are all pretty compromised in the US at this point. Its a really sad thing that the theological conservatives from each mainline protestant denomination are the smaller splinter groups outnumbered by the worldly heretics.
Burdizzo
AG
BB does it again...

A Net Full of Jello
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

Who gives a **** if they are gay? Nobody forces you to go to the church. I get sick and tired of "Christians" judging people. Isn't God the judge?
The Bible is pretty clear that Christians are to hold each other accountable and call out sin in each other's lives. The Methodist church is rebelling against God's word and, therefore, against God himself. As brothers and sisters in Christ, it is not only our right but our responsibility to call them out for failing to follow His teachings. If they choose to continue in their sin, that will be on them, but, as James 4:17 tells us (So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.), if we know they are sinning and opt not to call out their sin and try to get them back on the right path, we are just as wrong and sinful as they are.

Just a handful of verses about holding each other accountable and calling out sin. There are many, many others:

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. - Galatians 6:1-2

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. - Matthew 18:15-17

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand hima threefold cord is not quickly broken. - Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. - Ephesians 4:25

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. - James 5:19-20

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. - Colossians 3:16

Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. - Hebrews 3:13-15

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, - Luke 17:3

Whoever says to the wicked, "You are in the right," will be cursed by peoples, abhorred by nations, but those who rebuke the wicked will have delight, and a good blessing will come upon them. - Proverbs 24:24
Wyoming Aggie
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

The Bible is pretty clear that Christians are to hold each other accountable and call out sin in each other's lives. The Methodist church is rebelling against God's word and, therefore, against God himself. As brothers and sisters in Christ, it is not only our right but our responsibility to call them out for failing to follow His teachings. If they choose to continue in their sin, that will be on them, but, as James 4:17 tells us (So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.), if we know they are sinning and opt not to call out their sin and try to get them back on the right path, we are just as wrong and sinful as they are.

Just a handful of verses about holding each other accountable and calling out sin. There are many, many others:

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. - Galatians 6:1-2

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. - Matthew 18:15-17

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand hima threefold cord is not quickly broken. - Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. - Ephesians 4:25

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. - James 5:19-20

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. - Colossians 3:16

Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. - Hebrews 3:13-15

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, - Luke 17:3

Whoever says to the wicked, "You are in the right," will be cursed by peoples, abhorred by nations, but those who rebuke the wicked will have delight, and a good blessing will come upon them. - Proverbs 24:24

Or just let people live their damn lives while you worry about your own.

I swear "Christians" are worse than the government about telling people how to live their lives.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Again, the Bible tells us that if we see a brother or sister in Christ sinning and do nothing, we are just as guilty.

Edit: Make no mistake, we are to hold our fellow CHRISTIANS accountable. And that means the Methodists in this situation as they are rebelling against God's teaching. As a Christian, they should expect to be called out and while no one likes to be rebuked, it should be understood that it is for the good of the sinner.
shack009
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

I swear "Christians" are worse than the government about telling people how to live their lives.
You are a "practicing Catholic" who "reads the Bible" and you don't understand why this is the case?
Wyoming Aggie
AG

Again, the Bible tells us that if we see a brother or sister in Christ sinning and do nothing, we are just as guilty.

Edit: Make no mistake, we are to hold our fellow CHRISTIANS accountable. And that means the Methodists in this situation as they are rebelling against God's teaching. As a Christian, they should expect to be called out and while no one likes to be rebuked, it should be understood that it is for the good of the sinner.

Something about, "if any of you is without sin"
Owlagdad
Wyoming Aggie said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

It doesnt work that way.
How about when queers are told what they do is wrong, and THEY move along, instead of trying to change what the Church stands for to fit their desires. Either accept that church's doctrine or go find one that accepts your moral debauchery.
You dont want to feel bad about what is said in church? Dont go there, or change your behavior. Dont ask them to change.
When the answer to "we love the sinner, not the sin" is "yall are bigots" , who is wrong here?

Wyoming Aggie
AG
Owlagdad said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

It doesnt work that way.
How about when queers are told what they do is wrong, and THEY move along, instead of trying to change what the Church stands for to fit their desires. Either accept that church's doctrine or go find one that accepts your moral debauchery.
You dont want to feel bad about what is said in church? Dont go there, or change your behavior. Dont ask them to change.
When the answer to "we love the sinner, not the sin" is "yall are bigots" , who is wrong here?

Exactly, they did move along to a Church that accepts their "moral debauchery"
cecil77
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

This is one of the most abused and confused topics Christians discuss. I think there's a fundamental disconnect between holding someone accountable and forcing them to alter their behaviors. Yes we're supposed to hold each other accountable, but (and this is the hard part) the motivation must be love, not hubris/arrogance. And we have no right to force anyone to do anything. But we shouldn't have to be forced to change what we do, either.

chase128
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

Owlagdad said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

It doesnt work that way.

Exactly, they did move along to a Church that accepts their moral debauchery
Fixed it for you. No need for quotes around moral debauchery.
chase128
AG
cecil77 said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

This is one of the most abused and confused topics Christians discuss. I think there's a fundamental disconnect between holding someone accountable and forcing them to alter their behaviors. Yes we're supposed to hold each other accountable, but (and this is the hard part) the motivation must be love, not hubris/arrogance. And we have no right to force anyone to do anything. But we shouldn't have to be forced to change what we do, either.

This is really well said.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

You are not properly interpreting and using this verse in this specific situation. If any is without sin, he can throw the first stone, right? Jesus said that to people who wanted to stone a woman for her sins. Jesus was saying that they all sinned and likely didn't want the punishment for sin to be getting stoned to death because then they all had to be stoned. In this situation, people are cautioning the united methodists that they are not following Christ and are, in fact, leading others astray in their disobedience. This disobedience, especially as a leader, can have lasing consequences that no one wants. That punishment will come from God and not us, but we would be remiss to not remind them of God's word and the ramifications of active disobedience.
One Louder
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

We are ALL sinners. But I usually recognize when I misstep and ask for forgiveness and the strength to not repeat the behavior.

And if I don't see where I misstepped, I would hope that a brother or sister in Christ would help me see it.

This is not about moral superiority. It's about loving someone enough to do what needs to be done.
Owlagdad
Wyoming Aggie said:

Owlagdad said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

It doesnt work that way.

Exactly, they did move along to a Church that accepts their "moral debauchery"
Indeed. john Wesley is rolling in his grave.
AgNav93
AG
Wyoming Aggie said:

Wyoming Aggie said:

Practicing catholic, huh? Ya. Right. You sure do seem to have a lot contempt for "Christians." Maybe you're a little out of practice?
FrioAg 00
AG
Yale said:

I pray for the souls of those that continue to follow false doctrine. Have mercy on them.

Amen. And I do mean it too - it makes me incredibly sad that children of God who have taken at least some action to know him and worship him have been misled by others to replace god breathed doctrine with their own evil desires. These people have been ensnared.

Their eternal soul is at stake - and it doesn't really get more serious than that. It's tragic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.