Near collision on runway

6,107 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by TRADUCTOR
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whose fault was this? The pilot said he was cleared to cross runway 4 and that's what he was doing. Another controller then gives go ahead to take off on runway four.

Politics related because of meritless hiring now.

Rapier108
Quote:

Whose fault was this?
Well, Southwest flies 737s and Jetblue flies A320s, so it must be Boeing's fault.

The main error of course was with ATC. Whether it was due to a poor quality controller in the tower will have to be determined. Even someone with decades of experience can foul up like the United pilot did in Houston and drove the plane into the mud.

Edit: The JB was a ERJ-190, but still must be Boeing's fault since it was a 737-8MAX.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
CDUB98
AG
That would have been really Really ungood.
Old Army Metal
AG
I guess diversity hires were to blame for Tenerife too huh
Logos Stick
So you understand the jibberish before he proceeded down towards four? I do not. I see him going down towards four after the jibberish and he then says he was cleared after the panic yell telling him to stop.

Thus my op.
Gigem314
AG
PA24
AG

Ground gave the pilot permission to cross run way 4.
Ground was at fault.

Ground is not the control tower, the control tower clears for take off and landing.
Logos Stick
PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Ground is not the control tower, the control tower clears for take off and landing.

Why did tower give permission to take off after the plane was cleared to cross four?

So tower just ignores ground? Lol
PA24
AG
Two different radio frequencies
Ground directs taxi of the aircraft
Tower directs take off and landing

Landing into a busy class B or C airport can be quite the experience, i must say.
Logos Stick
PA24 said:

Landing into a busy class B or C airport can be quite the experience, i must say.

So they don't have a clue what each other is doing? Makes no sense.
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Why did tower give permission to take off after the plane was cleared to cross four?

ATC directed the southwest plane to cross a runway where the Jetblue plane was already cleared to takeoff.

Should read "Ground directed the southwest plane to cross where the JetBlue plane was already cleared to take off."

Old Army Metal
AG
PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

ATC directed the southwest plane to cross a runway where the Jetblue plane was already cleared to takeoff.

Should read "Ground directed the southwest plane to cross where the JetBlue plane was already cleared to take off."

Or "cleared for takeoff."
Logos Stick
PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

No they were not. Not based on the audio. They were cleared after.

Did you listen to the audio?
Aggie Jurist
AG
Ground controllers are likely in the tower. Departure and arrival are not. The ground controller was at fault - SWA was cleared to cross runway 4 after the other AC was instructed to Line up and wait.
LGB
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

So they don't have a clue what each other is doing? Makes no
Just sit back, relax, and enjoy your flight.

DEI has this.
aggietony2010
AG

The Twitter version is shortened.

Ground tells Southwest to cross.
Tower tells Southwest to hold for traffic departing on their left. Actually this was directed at the other SW plane

Tower tells JetBlue crossing traffic is holding, cleared for takeoff.

Seems like a process to catch conflicts between ground and tower was missed or needs to exist. Both planes were following valid instructions.

Either way, something, be it personnel or procedure, needs fixing at that airport.
TriAg2010
AG
PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Does Ground's instructions to Southwest constitute clearance to cross Rwy 4 or was she just giving an route only? She does not explicitly say "clear to cross" like the Southwest pilot says in his read back. A possible indication from that moment that not everyone was on the same page.
Biz Ag
AG
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

JetBlue was moving toward the runway before ground gave instructions to SWA. You don't do that unless he was told to line up and wait. You can't pass hold point without permission from tower. That is either line up and wait or cleared for take off.

ShaggySLC
They're trying to hire pilots, probably won't get a lot of people if ground and the tower are going to get them killed.
PA24
AG
TriAg2010 said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Does Ground's instructions to Southwest constitute clearance to cross Rwy 4 or was she just giving a route only? She does not explicitly say "clear to cross" like the Southwest pilot says in his read back. A possible indication from that moment that not everyone was on the same page.
No, she gave him permission to cross. The ground instructions are clear when taxing and if in doubt, ask for progressive directions.

I am pilot and regularly fly into class B and C towered airports.

Logos Stick
PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

JetBlue was moving toward the runway before ground gave instructions to SWA. You don't do that unless he was told to line up and wait. You can't pass hold point without permission from tower. That is either line up and wait or cleared for take off.

So line up and wait is the same as cleared for takeoff? You said cleared for takeoff off in your original post.

Based on the audio, the cross four command came before "cleared for takeoff".
TriAg2010
AG
PA24 said:

TriAg2010 said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Does Ground's instructions to Southwest constitute clearance to cross Rwy 4 or was she just giving a route only? She does not explicitly say "clear to cross" like the Southwest pilot says in his read back. A possible indication from that moment that not everyone was on the same page.
No, she gave him permission to cross. The ground instructions are clear when taxing and if in doubt, ask for progressive directions.

That's why I asked you.
FTAG 2000
AG
Both controllers relieved of duty after the incident.
ShaggySLC
FTAG 2000 said:

Now the airlines will be sued, and prices will go up.
Logos Stick
FTAG 2000 said:

Seriously?
Pinochet
Logos Stick said:

So you understand the jibberish before he proceeded down towards four? I do not. I see him going down towards four after the jibberish and he then says he was cleared after the panic yell telling him to stop.

Thus my op.

lol yes, if you're a decently experienced pilot, you understand the gibberish. That guy obviously did because he REPEATED HIS CLEARANCE. There was a screw up in the tower between two different controllers working different stations. But that was in the timing of clearance to cross runways vs takeoff clearance. No one was confused about taxi routes. You seem like you're the kind of guy who would need a lot of progressive taxis at your home airport.
Pinochet
PA24 said:

TriAg2010 said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Gonna disagree with you on this I think (maybe I'm misinterpreting your post and we are saying the same thing). She told him to cross, he read back cleared to cross 4. He was cleared to cross 4. I am also a pilot and fly into B, C, and D airports all the time with lots of traffic, multiple runways, and confusing taxi routes. I would argue that if anything, her phraseology was a little irregular, but he was cleared to cross 4 and then told to contact tower when he got to 1.
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Seriously?
Usually told to line up and wait because a recent landing plane has not exit the runway but in this case the tower has JetBlue line up and wait on runway 4 and another plane line up and wait on runway 1. Nothing on either runway.

Landing and taking off priority over taxing airplanes.

My guess green tower and ground operations.
Sharpshooter
AG
So long as DEI exists, I won''t fly.
PA24
AG
Pinochet said:

PA24 said:

TriAg2010 said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

Gonna disagree with you on this I think (maybe I'm misinterpreting your post and we are saying the same thing). She told him to cross, he read back cleared to cross 4. He was cleared to cross 4. I am also a pilot and fly into B, C, and D airports all the time with lots of traffic, multiple runways, and confusing taxi routes. I would argue that if anything, her phraseology was a little irregular, but he was cleared to cross 4 and then told to contact tower when he got to 1.
…I agree, he was good to go cross 4. If he didn't understand her, he could have ask for progressive directions but he read back correctly.

Once in SAT, I was ask to line up and wait as a small plane had ask to land long. So, the landing plane extended his run out as the controller told him to make haste, make haste, make haste. A commercial was on short final and I am lined up and waiting.
He clears me for take off and tells me clear for right turn out. Not sure I was at the required 400' AGL when I turned but he sure was thankful.

GAC06
AG
Runway 1/19 is the primary runway at DCA. Perhaps ground was unaware runway 4 was also in use. It's ATC's fault, exactly how ground and tower screwed it up is the question.
agAngeldad
FTAG 2000 said:

Normal. Take statements drug test etc.
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Logos Stick said:

PA24 said:

Ground was at fault.

So line up and wait is the same as cleared for takeoff? You said cleared for takeoff off in your original post.

Based on the audio, the cross four command came before "cleared for takeoff".

No I didn't, I copied that line from your original post, changing only ATC to Ground.

PA24
AG
agAngeldad said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Normal. Take statements drug test etc.
Eating Gummies and they fail…but that is a different topic.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.