Near collision on runway

5,893 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by TRADUCTOR
agAngeldad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tapes sound good: ground controller is in the tower with the (tower), also reffered to as local Controller. Coordination to cross a runway requires ground control to coordinate with local. That is not always done on a recorded line. All towers are required to have procedures to alert both controllers when crossing runway. That ranges from, flight strips, lights, manuel promps as well as frequency warning when activated.

In most cases, ground thought they were cleared to cross however, someone screwed up.

What is needed is advanced electronic runway surveillance that communicated with pilot amd tower. There are some systems such as RWSL but these are not at all airports. Crossing runways is the greatest hazard at airports. Saw a SWA amd PA31 dang near prang each other out of the sky at DAL years ago.
rsemingson
"Stop" is not standard ATC language. It's "Hold your position". I can guarantee even though the SW was cleared to cross the active RW by ground It's standard procedure for both pilots to clear before attempting to proceed. Been there done that in my 45 years flying military and civil.
Pinochet
I hope that wasn't me. I flew into SAT once and asked to land long on 22 at the bottom of the approach so I could get to the FBO quickly. Totally misjudged that 8000 feet of runway and ended up with what felt like a mile rollout to the end. Did my best impression of a SWA taxi in a single to get out of anyone's way since I knew there were more planes behind me. Oops.

Luckily I don't think there were any 737s behind me that time. I've definitely done 135kts to the fence before dropping the gear into HOU to avoid getting in a 737's way. (You're welcome, GAC…)
GAC06
AG
rsemingson said:

"Stop" is not standard ATC language. It's "Hold your position". I can guarantee even though the SW was cleared to cross the active RW by ground It's standard procedure for both pilots to clear before attempting to proceed. Been there done that in my 45 years flying military and civil.

When time is short, concise, directive language is best. "Stop" was absolutely appropriate here.
agAngeldad
rsemingson said:

Agreed. Callsign/ abort or cancel TO clearance is by the book. But unless you have ever been in an "awe ****" moment , "stop" works. I have 40+ years as ATC at busy airports. Military and civil.

Also seen controllers freeze up in those situations.
PA24
AG
Pinochet said:

I hope that wasn't me. I flew into SAT once and asked to land long on 22 at the bottom of the approach so I could get to the FBO quickly. Totally misjudged that 8000 feet of runway and ended up with what felt like a mile rollout to the end. Did my best impression of a SWA taxi in a single to get out of anyone's way since I knew there were more planes behind me. Oops.

Luckily I don't think there were any 737s behind me that time. I've definitely done 135kts to the fence before dropping the gear into HOU to avoid getting in a 737's way. (You're welcome, GAC…)
Houston Hobby is one of worst outside of KFLL.

Circling waiting for a gap between those SWA 737s, once cleared for 13R @135 knots and at the last moment ask if I can make 13L.

A couple of years ago they had the taxi ways all torn up. I sit at signature for an hour reviewing the taxi route before getting clearance out of there. Avoid at all cost.

Really like Sugarland.
PA24
AG
Logos Stick said:

Whose fault was this? The pilot said he was cleared to cross runway 4 and that's what he was doing. Another controller then gives go ahead to take off on runway four.

Politics related because of meritless hiring now.

This is what I cut and pasted that you claim are my words a cut and paste directly from your OP.. I was trying to clarify ATC from Ground. Everyone else got it but you and then you start your typical insult.

ATC directed the southwest plane to cross a runway where the Jetblue plane was already cleared to takeoff.

Ag83
AG
I'm happy the OP titled it "near collision" instead of "near miss". Somewhere George Carlin is smiling.

Artimus Gordon
When your hiring practices focus on hiring the Larry, Moe's and curly Joe's of the world you are going have a few catastrophic accidents. It's something you air travelers will just have to tolerate!
Logos Stick
JamesPShelley
Logos Stick said:

Whose fault was this? The pilot said he was cleared to cross runway 4 and that's what he was doing. Another controller then gives go ahead to take off on runway four.

Politics related because of meritless hiring now.

Where's the fella who would claim this was a near "miss"?
TexAgs91
AG
Biz Ag said:

I'd take that offer
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
TriAg2010
AG
PA24 said:

Pinochet said:

Circling waiting for a gap between those SWA 737s, once cleared for 13R @135 knots and at the last moment ask if I can make 13L.

I recall a relatively green private pilot crashed a Cirrus at Hobby doing exactly that until they hit fuel exhaustion.
The Kraken
AG
Sharpshooter said:

So long as DEI exists, I won''t fly.
Guess you'll never fly again.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
FCBlitz
This is the real problem.
PA24
AG
TriAg2010 said:

PA24 said:

Pinochet said:

I recall a relatively green private pilot crashed a Cirrus at Hobby doing exactly that until they hit fuel exhaustion.
Horrible story, girl was VFR only, first time in a Class B airspace, from Oklahoma, Ardmore I think. Went around twice cause she came in high. She should have landed long, she should have told the tower the runway was hers, she was low on fuel.

Once coming in late night from Puerto Rico, after diverting a Caribbean storm, I was low on fuel landing Fort Lauderdale. Tower put me on one of those long commercial 3 mile downwind patterns. It seem like forever but on short final tower ask if I could go around, they had a bird strike, I told them no, my intentions was to land. They ask if I would land long and I said absolutely.

Once I got to the FBO and checked my fuel, I knew I had made the right decision.

Getting back to this incident.

Why did the controller have the plane on runway 4 and runway 1 line up and wait? There was nothing on the runways?

51Merc-98Ag
AG
PA24 said:

Pinochet said:

A couple of years ago they had the taxi ways all torn up. I sit at signature for an hour reviewing the taxi route before getting clearance out of there. Avoid at all cost.

Really like Sugarland.

I really don't understand why any pilot of a single engine piston airplane would want to land at a Class B airport -- is is pure bravado?
---------------------------------------------------
Americans for Fair Taxation!
PA24
AG
51Merc-98Ag said:

PA24 said:

Pinochet said:

Really like Sugarland.

I really don't understand why any pilot of a single engine piston airplane would want to land at a Class B airport -- is is pure bravado?
I was picking up friends dropping off their private jets.

I avoid class B airports unless I just have to land at one. Class C can also be tough during rush hour.
XpressAg09
AG
Logos Stick said:

So you understand the jibberish before he proceeded down towards four? I do not. I see him going down towards four after the jibberish and he then says he was cleared after the panic yell telling him to stop.

Thus my op.

SW was told to hold for a crossing airplane near the gates. Given two taxiways to proceed down (K, C), and specifically was cleared to cross Runway 4; his rear back was accurate. He is not at fault.

JetBlue was cleared to takeoff Runway 4. He is not at fault.

Ground and Tower gave two conflicting orders. They are at fault.
Tex117
AG
Everything kinda feels like we are in the impending train crash part of Atlas Shrugged
Pinochet
51Merc-98Ag said:

PA24 said:

Pinochet said:

Really like Sugarland.

Plenty of reasons. Hobby is the best drop off for Angel Flight missions into MD Anderson. Others across the country are much more convenient and have better services. Rental cars are usually a lot easier at bigger airports. I know a guy who bases out of Love because the valet services are cheaper than Addison and it is closer to his house. I could go on, but I choose airports without regard to whether they are B or C. The exception is that I usually plan for stops at least Charlies on longer trips because they are most likely to have A&P services available if needed.

I honestly don't understand people like you who think Bravos are only for airlines. I think a lot are just scared to do it or it is big shot airline pilots who think they're better than the guy in a single.
sleepybeagle
AG
Biz Ag said:

I laughed really hard... and then realized I didn't have the mic muted in the meeting I wasn't paying attention to.
sleepybeagle
double aught
AG
Ag83 said:

I'm happy the OP titled it "near collision" instead of "near miss". Somewhere George Carlin is smiling.

I appreciate the comedy, but I've never had a problem with the term "near miss". The two planes were very near each other when they missed. Makes sense to me. "Near collision" is fine too. Both can have dual, opposite meanings depending on how you view them.
txwxman
Abolish the FAA. Airlines are better positioned to figure out air safety amongst themselves.
eric76
AG
TriAg2010 said:

PA24 said:

Pinochet said:

I remember hearing of that, too.

About 1990 or 1991 when I lived in the Houston area, I was going in to Hobby on a Southwest flight. Almost immediately after we touched down, the pilots gave it full power and we took off again, circled around to the south and came back in again to land.

I was sitting in the first row which were facing backwards. As we were taking off again, I saw another airliner heading toward the runway intersection that we had just passed. I don't know if they aborted their takeoff or continued on their takeoff.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
Cliff Booth
AG
I think that's a desired side effect. Gets people to self-restrict their movements.
Bubblez

Another incident at JFK. Several aircraft that were taxing were given clearance to cross a runway while an aircraft on that same runway given takeoff clearance. The pilot of the aircraft given takeoff clearance saw what was going on and aborted takeoff.
Muddyfeet
Either that happened a lot in that time frame or we were on the same SW flight from Dallas. I remember vividly my Mother talking with the owner of Guarantee Shoes in Port Lavaca sitting across from us in the club seats. I also remember being low enough to see inside a hanger just before being slammed back in my seat when the pilot aborted the landing.
TRADUCTOR
Been in similar situation making the paper. Nowadays the problem with dei is having to focus on solutions and not the problem... Japanese style.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.