*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

532,312 Views | 6651 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Foreverconservative
Foreverconservative
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How on God's green earth can Merchan rule ANYTHING Costello says is collateral???!!!! This is complete BULLS***
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan rules that Trump attorney Emil Bove can question Robert Costello "as to two prior inconsistent statements. "
In addition, he says, "I will give you some latitude to explore the pressure campaign so you can elicit some inconsistencies and offer some rebuttal."
Merchan adds:
"I'm not going to allow this to become a trial within a trial as to whether there was, in fact, a pressure campaign and how it affected (Michael) Cohen. It's not the purpose of this trial and I don't want it to become that."
The jury is back in the courtroom.
Quote:

Robert Costello was just sworn in.

He did not look at Trump's table when he walked to the witness stand.
Limiting Costello's testimony is pure BS.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Merchan was appointed so the only thing that will happen here is he might fail upward.

5-years from now he'll be considered a legal scholar and elder statesman like Obama.

'The Colombian immigrant judge that finally brought Trump to justice'
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Robert Costello says he met Michael Cohen at the Regency Hotel on April 17, 2018.
Costello says he was accompanied by Jeffrey Citron, one of his partners, at the meeting.
Costello says Cohen was "absolutely manic" throughout the two-hour meeting
pacecar02
I'm not a lawyer either

just a humble observer of the lunacy
no sig
Foreverconservative
Justice Merchan: I'm not going to allow a trial within a trial about a supposed pressure campaign. And nothing about the retainer agreement. Get the jury.
Trump's lawyer Blanche: Can we get the witness first?
Justice Merchan: No. The witness has not been sworn in
Trump's lawyer Bove: The defense calls Robert Costello.
Clerk swears him in.
Robert J. Costello, Nassau County. From 1975 to 1982 I was a AUSA in SDNY.
Bove: Do you know Michael Cohen?
Costello: I met him on April 17, 2016 at the Regency Hotel.
Costello: Mr. Cohen was pacing, he was manic. He said, What's my escape route?
Trump's lawyer Bove: Did you give instructions on cooperation?
Costello: No. I informed him-
Prosecutor: Objection!
Justice Merchan: Sustained
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Robert Costello, a one-time adviser to Michael Cohen, shakes his head as if he is exasperated when Judge Juan Merchan sustains an objection from the prosecution about one of his answers.
Costello is too savvy a lawyer not to get in what he wants to get in.
Foreverconservative
Costello: He said, I swear to God, Bob, I've got nothing on Donald Trump. He said, I don't know why they want to jail me for a couple of ******* NDAs.
[Then after a series of sustained objections, a sidebar]
Costello: Michael said he did it on his own
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Costello: Michael said he did it on his own
LOL. Called it.
Foreverconservative
Trump's lawyer Bove: Look at this email, did you send it on April 19, 2016? Why?
Costello: Yes. It was announced that Rudy Giuliani was joining the President's legal defense.
Bove: How did Mr. Cohen respond?
Costello: Great news for Rudy.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Donald Trump's attorney Emil Bove asks what Michael Cohen said about Trump's family at the meeting at the Regency Hotel on April 17, 2018.
Judge Juan Merchan sustains an objection from prosecutor Susan Hoffinger, one of several he's already sustained.
Merchan tells the lawyers to approach the bench.
"Ridiculous," Costello says on the mic while attorneys are at a sidebar with the judge.
Quote:

Roberto Costello testified, "Michael Cohen said numerous times that President Trump knew nothing about those payments. That he did this on his own. He repeated that numerous times."
"Was Rudy Giuliani discussed at this meeting?" Trump attorney Emil Bove asked.
Merchan then overruled an objection from Prosecutor Susan Hoffinger.
Costello said his name came up "very briefly."
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Foreverconservative said:

Re-cross.
Trump's lawyer Blanche: You lost your law license - is that President Trump's fault?
Cohen: In part.
Blanche: But wasn't part of it your false statements to a bank, and tax evasion - in NY any felony costs you your license, right?
Cohen: Correct.
What a POS.

Sorry, that is insulting doodoo.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Foreverconservative
Trump's lawyer Bove: What do you recall about-
Justice Merchan: Sustained.
Costello: Jeez
Justice Merchan: Sorry?
Bove: Did the term backchannel -
Justice Merchan: Sustained.
Tramp96
I am amazed at how truly corrupt our judicial system can be...I have been living a sheltered life.

I never dreamt that a defendant would not be allowed to put up a defense. This is unreal.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The jury is seeing an email brought up earlier during Michael Cohen's testimony.
Robert Costello testifies that Cohen asked him to reach out to Rudy Giuliani on his behalf about the issue.
"He told me I was authorized to tell Giuliani that my firm was quote 'on the team.' That's the phrase he used, but that he wasn't going to announce it publicly," Costello says.
Foreverconservative
Trump's lawyer Bove: What did you mean by-
Judge Merchan: Sustained.
[Costello shakes his head]
Justice Merchan: Can the jury step out?
[They do]
Justice Merchan: Mr. Costello, I want to discuss decorum- you don't say "Jeez"
Reality Check
Casual Cynic said:

So it just comes down to whether the jury can believe Cohen talked about both subjects in 96 seconds?

Not even close. The prosecution has intentionally muddied the water with hundreds of irrelevant business records designed to (as Merchan said about having the former chair of the FEC explain Trump was never charged with nor convicted of a campaign finance violation) confuse the jury that they likely don''t know which end is up and which is down.
Author of the TexAgs Post of The Day - May 31, 2024

How do I get a Longhorn tag?
Tramp96
Hey Judge - go fudge yourself.

Decorum? The irony of you of all people lecturing someone else on decorum while presiding over the shammiest of sham banana republic style kangaroo courts is the ultimate hypocrisy.
Foreverconservative
Justice Merchan: You don't give me side eye or roll your eyes.... Clear the courtroom!
aggiehawg
AG
Tramp96 said:

I am amazed at how truly corrupt our judicial system can be...I have been living a sheltered life.

I never dreamt that a defendant would not be allowed to put up a defense. This is unreal.
Not to derail here but after the Chauvin case, several of those corrupt prosecutors were elevated to the bench as a reward for their service, including an outside civil trial attorney.
AustinAg2K
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
BlackLab
AG
A fair and impartial jury can see when a judge is tipping their hand on the scales and giving preference to one side.
OldArmy71
AG
The ghost of Stalin is smiling......
AggieUSMC
AG
BlackLab said:

A fair and impartial jury can see when a judge is tipping their hand on the scales and giving preference to one side.
That only matters if we have a fair and impartial jury. I'm not convinced we do.
Tramp96
BlackLab said:

Too bad this jury is most likely not fair and impartial.
nortex97
AG
Effing amazing.
FireAg
AG
How does a guilty verdict actually help the D's at this point?
Hungry Ojos
AggieUSMC said:

BlackLab said:

That only matters if we have a fair and impartial jury. I'm not convinced we do.
Aren't there two lawyers on the jury? How can ANY remotely competent lawyer not see what is going on here?

Now that I say that, they are probably both scared to death of the sure to come repercussions from exercising justice and will ignore this clown show and vote guilty
aggiehawg
AG
I think Costello is prepared to take a sanction fine or even go to jail for contempt over this.

Remember: Costello was repeatedly cut off during his testimony at the grand jury, again which was overseen by Merchan.
Casual Cynic
It doesn't help in the sense that it helps their election chances next fall, but I think the left is playing the long game here. They want to use the raw power of the government to crush their opposition in the long run.
Hungry Ojos
FireAg said:

There is polling that says many a vote would change if he is convicted.
Tramp96
FireAg said:

Let's Go Brandon and every corporate legacy news outlet (sans Fox and Newsmax) will be using the title "Convicted Felon Donald Trump" whenever they reference him.

Reality Check
FireAg said:

So Biden can say "convicted felon" 90 times during a 90-minute debate.
Author of the TexAgs Post of The Day - May 31, 2024

How do I get a Longhorn tag?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

There is a burst of yelling by security officers in the courtroom and they're telling the media to leave after the judge said, "Clear the courtroom."
Court security just said, "Nobody can come back in."
Shortly afterward, the media was allowed to return to their seats in the courtroom.
Quote:

Judge Juan Merchan has said to get the jury.

Most of Trump's entourage got to stay in the room while the press was taken out.
Tramp96
aggiehawg said:

I think Costello is prepared to take a sanction fine or even go to jail for contempt over this.

Remember: Costello was repeatedly cut off during his testimony at the grand jury, again which was overseen by Merchan.

Oh I had missed that completely. Had no idea Merchan presided over the grand jury as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 191

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.