*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

530,364 Views | 6650 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by JFABNRGR
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiehawg said:

Here's the problem using the model jury instructions in this trial as to the specific charges.

This is a novel application of that law. None of those jury instructions regarding that statute have been tested in past cases.

For example, there was an exchange between Bove and Steinglass yesterday on the underlying crime. Steinglass states the underlying crime is conspiracy. There are no conspiracy counts in the indictment. Bove points out that conspiracy needs a criminal object for even conspiracy to be a crime itself.

Conspiracy to do what? Conspiracy to aid or conceal what? If the "what" isn't a crime in itself then existence of a conspiracy is not a crime either.
It was a conspiracy to...GET ELECTED!!! <Insert ominous dramatic music here>
jt2hunt
AG
I thought the Carol trials did not have a jury?
Stat Monitor Repairman
What percentage of the courtroom will be hungover on the Tuesday after Memorial day?
VegasAg86
AG
jt2hunt said:

It had a jury. The civil fraud trial was the bench trial - in front of a judge who valued Mar-a-Lago at $18 million.
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
VegasAg86 said:

jt2hunt said:

It had a jury. The civil fraud trial was the bench trial - in front of a judge who valued Mar-a-Lago at $18 million.

And found Cohen trustworthy and credible
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Let us assume arguendo that the Daniels payment was a campaign expenditure. That payment was made in late October 2016, right before the election. Under FECA, it would not have been required to even be reported unti December 2016, well after the election. Which is what the defense expert, Brad Smith, was going to tell the jury, but Merchan would not allow that testimony.

So how does the jury square that gaping round hole in the evidence?
TheRatt87
jt2hunt said:

You are confusing evidence with juries. All three trials did not have any evidence of crimes. But the Carroll case did & this case does have a jury.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Let us assume arguendo that the Daniels payment was a campaign expenditure. That payment was made in late October 2016, right before the election. Under FECA, it would not have been required to even be reported unti December 2016, well after the election. Which is what the defense expert, Brad Smith, was going to tell the jury, but Merchan would not allow that testimony.

Without any lube, I'm afraid.
Science Denier
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

AustinAg2K said:

I think people are overplaying the bias of the jury. Biden got 75% of the vote in Manhattan back in 2020. With 12 jurors, that would mean 3 are possibly Trump voters. Beyond that, of the other 9, I do believe you'll have 3 or 4 who are willing to listen to the testimony and give it a fair chance. There will probably be 3 or 4 who thought guilty as soon as they saw it was Trump, but I think there will be enough who are willing to give it a chance that we end up with a hung jury.

This is not a random sampling of 12 New Yorkers. After voir dire, it became 12 hand picked liberals that the state absolutely knows they can count on.
Two attorneys sitting on a panel seems very rare. I believe this was a set up that started a long time ago.
Stat Monitor Repairman
fredfredunderscorefred said:

VegasAg86 said:

jt2hunt said:

And found Cohen trustworthy and credible
Wildest part of all this is Trump's personal attorney having his office raided by the FBI, testifying under crime-fraud, and admitting on the stand stealing $60,000 from Trump.

John Grisham the real victim here. No way he can compete with this!

WHAT A TIME BE ALIVE!
agAngeldad
TheRatt87 said:

jt2hunt said:

You are confusing evidence with juries. All three trials did not have any evidence of crimes. But the Carroll case did & this case does have a jury.
What exactly was the evidence?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Science Denier said:

Hungry Ojos said:

AustinAg2K said:

I think people are overplaying the bias of the jury. Biden got 75% of the vote in Manhattan back in 2020. With 12 jurors, that would mean 3 are possibly Trump voters. Beyond that, of the other 9, I do believe you'll have 3 or 4 who are willing to listen to the testimony and give it a fair chance. There will probably be 3 or 4 who thought guilty as soon as they saw it was Trump, but I think there will be enough who are willing to give it a chance that we end up with a hung jury.

This is not a random sampling of 12 New Yorkers. After voir dire, it became 12 hand picked liberals that the state absolutely knows they can count on.
Two attorneys sitting on a panel seems very rare. I believe this was a set up that started a long time ago.
One of the two will be the foreman and the rest will be under overwhelming pressure to simply do whatever the lawyers decide to do. Any dissenter on the jury is outgunned and outmanned.

Ultimately Trump's fate is in the hands of two NY lawyers who by stroke of luck got a golden ticket here. They'll never go hungry again with a Trump conviction.

However, these two acquit trump and they might never work in Manhattan again. That's probably the reality of the situation.
aggiehawg
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Further, Cohen apparently did not bill nor submit any invoices related to the Daniels payment until February 2017, after Trump was in office. Cohen's legal relationship to Trump had changed into being the personal lawyer for the POTUS.

So again, how is that election interference?
Stat Monitor Repairman
A team of the very best writers could never have conceived of what we've seen play out over the past few years.

Would be incredulous. Some sort of TDS fan-fiction.
Ellis Wyatt
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

A team of the very best writers could never have conceived of what we've seen play out over the past few years.

Would be incredulous. Some sort of TDS fan-fiction.
And the left is silent. People posting on this thread think this is all routine.
Gyles Marrett
aggiehawg said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Further, Cohen apparently did not bill nor submit any invoices related to the Daniels payment until February 2017, after Trump was in office. Cohen's legal relationship to Trump had changed into being the personal lawyer for the POTUS.

So again, how is that election interference?
Is their theory that that timing to be after the election was done as part of the "conspiracy" to hide it?...To which we've seen no evidence of such. Not even Cohen said anything about he was told to not invoice until after the election.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

One of the two will be the foreman and the rest will be under overwhelming pressure to simply do whatever the lawyers decide to do. Any dissenter on the jury is outgunned and outmanned.
I am not sure how that works in NY state court. I have seen references indicating that the first juror selected from the panel to be seated on the jury automatically is designated foreman?
TexAg1987
How does the defense prepare their closing without being able to decipher what the prosecution is actually going to argue in their closing?
Im Gipper
Quote:

I have seen references indicating that the first juror selected from the panel to be seated on the jury automatically is designated foreman?
I just googled this, and looks like that is correct!

BIZARRE!

I'm Gipper
Stat Monitor Repairman
How empowered does Stormy Daniels feel now though?

Maybe the most powerful succubus of all time!

Powerful enough that the public knowledge of her screwing Trump could influence a presidential election, and criminally defraud the government and voting public.

And further, that her sworn testimony regarding same may well have the leading presidential candidate removed from the ballot!

WOW!

What a time to be alive!

2024 DELIVERS!
TexAg1987
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

I have seen references indicating that the first juror selected from the panel to be seated on the jury automatically is designated foreman?

BIZARRE!
designated Foreman and acting as Foreman are different.

Strongest personality in the room will could win out. (*edited - probably not always if there are multiple headstrong people)
Stat Monitor Repairman
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

BIZARRE!
What are the odds that the first juror selected is one of the two lawyers?
Im Gipper
True!

I'm Gipper
Im Gipper
Quote:

What are the odds that the first juror selected is one of the two lawyers?
Zero.

Its a a sales professional and is originally from Ireland.

I'm Gipper
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
2/18=11.1%
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
Foreverconservative
Dummy just can't help herself and says the quiet part out loud

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
4stringAg
AG
Quote:

17-152. Conspiracy to promote or prevent election. Any two or more persons who conspire to promote or prevent the election of any person to a public office by unlawful means and which conspiracy is acted upon by one or more of the parties thereto, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
I don't get this at all. Having an NDA to prevent unfavorable news on a candidate from reaching the public is not unlawful, is it? If its not illegal then how could there be a conspiracy?

I mean, if that's the standard, why hasn't Hillary been hauled in on charges for her buying bogus info about Russian Trump golden shower tapes?
Stat Monitor Repairman
The Last Cobra Commander said:

2/18=11.1%
This checks out.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Foreverconservative said:

Dummy just can't help herself and says the quiet part out loud

AOC warns Trump, 'don't you dare come into the south-Bronx' ...
aezmvp
I get it but the legal theory is that the hush payment was election interference/fraud and the crime they're charging is that Trump mislabeled/filed the documents to obscure/hide that crime. It's thin gruel at best but they don't need much. A fig leaf would be embarrassed.
TheRatt87
agAngeldad said:

TheRatt87 said:

jt2hunt said:

What exactly was the evidence?

No evidence (at least no credible evidence) of wrongdoing by Trump in any of the three trials.
aggiejayrod
AG
TexAg1987 said:

How does the defense prepare their closing without being able to decipher what the prosecution is actually going to argue in their closing?

Either "everything they that guy just said is bs" or go through how the burden of proof is on the prosecution. Then point out the only criminality in evidence is cohen stealing $60k from Trump and the two "star" witnesses are two people who are incentivized to lie both due to their hatred of the defendant and due to them both benefiting financially from this prosecution and if they get a conviction. Last is easy, the prosecution relies almost entirely on the word of a man who has lied to every other court he's ever been in, he lied to the defendant, he lied to most every other witness he talked to in 2016 so why should anybody believe he won't lie now?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
aezmvp said:

I get it but the legal theory is that the hush payment was election interference/fraud and the crime they're charging is that Trump mislabeled/filed the documents to obscure/hide that crime. It's thin gruel at best but they don't need much. A fig leaf would be embarrassed.
Who had access to those documents? None of that info is/was public info, right?
aggiehawg
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Prepare for everything, every theory they think the prosecution will use. As they listen to the state's closing (they go first and last) the defense counsel then edits their summations accordingly.

That is how it usually works but with this judge were I defense counsel, I would be concerned that the state would then add the non-discussed theories in rebuttal. By rights they should not be allowed to do that but Merchan would probably allow it.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Theres so much legal error baked into this trial that it will take months to brief if you've got one bite at the apple.

Even if it's immediately appealed the verdict will stand until after the election.
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.