LSU walks off court for National Anthem

19,262 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HtownAg92
TommyBrady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just a reminder…**** LSU
deddog
AG
Booma94 said:

I think the headline is misleading. I didn't watch, but from what I read they did not walk off the court for the National Anthem, they went in after warm-up and did not come out from the locker room before the anthem. Twitter said that's their usual pre-game routine.

Can anyone who watched confirm or refute?
This actually makes sense.
LMCane
Booma94 said:

I think the headline is misleading. I didn't watch, but from what I read they did not walk off the court for the National Anthem, they went in after warm-up and did not come out from the locker room before the anthem. Twitter said that's their usual pre-game routine.

I would think this is the real reason

I know nothing about Mulkey or LSU or women's basketball

but when Mulkey had her press conference against the NY Times last week which was posted here, she certainly did not sound like an American hating leftist

she sounded very conservative.
Booma94
AG
deddog said:

Booma94 said:

This actually makes sense.

I'm all for calling out wrongs on all sides, and will readily admit that LSU sucks, but I think this is a hit piece that's trying to make something of nothing.
StandUpforAmerica
How hard is it to choose to be on the court for the anthem? No pre-game routine is that fixed that they can't adjust it. The reason IMO it got attention this time is that Iowa (an almost all white team) was on the court while LSU (an almost all black team) stayed in the locker room. Not saying the additional attention was right.....
ds00
Iraq2xVeteran said:

This is despicable. I am glad Iowa defeated LSU! The humble, hardworking, and classy country girls defeated the arrogant, entitled, and classless city girls.
Way to stereotype while admitting you've never watched either team. Caitlin Clark is awesome but also not afraid to talk as much trash as anyone else in the game while backing it up. And both rosters have big time players from all over the country. Iowa isn't a bunch of aw shucks country kids and LSU doesn't even have one player from New Orleans.
Im Gipper
Quote:

LSU doesn't even have one player from New Orleans.
I didn't realize New Orleans was the only city a player could be from!

Per ESPN, the two leading scorers are from Baltimore and Chicago!

I'm Gipper
BCSWguru
The alternative is having the team members kneeling and making a spectacle of the anthem. And they would.
GinMan
AG
Mulkey has zero class
ArbAg
AG
LMCane said:

Booma94 said:

I would think this is the real reason

I know nothing about Mulkey or LSU or women's basketball

but when Mulkey had her press conference against the NY Times last week which was posted here, she certainly did not sound like an American hating leftist

she sounded very conservative.

Skeletor is not conservative, she's trash - always has been!
HtownAg92
AG
GinMan said:

Mulkey has zero class

Let he/she who does not hug by aggressively pulling someone close by the back of the neck in a typical gesture of dominance cast the first stone.

Sheesh. Mulkey is the absolute worst.
SA68AG
AG
Sounds like much ado about nothing. They routinely go to the locker room 12 minutes before the start of a game.
Im Gipper
aTmAg said:

Booma94 said:

Nobody watches.

hth

Lots of oddballs!

I'm Gipper
eATMup-Reveille
CDUB98 said:

Mulkey is such a hag.

She'll officially disappear once the toilet is flushed.
HalifaxAg
AG
if LSU losing there ain't a Godwink I don't know what is...
one safe place
If they played the "black national anthem" I wonder if LSU would have been on the floor, with Angel Reese doing cartwheels?
Faustus
SA68AG said:

Sounds like much ado about nothing. They routinely go to the locker room 12 minutes before the start of a game.
Not anymore if the Louisiana governor has anything to say about it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/louisiana-gov-jeff-landry-threatens-scholarships-after-lsu-players-miss-national-anthem-before-iowa-loss-225624196.html

Quote:

Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry posted a tweet the morning after LSU's 94-87 loss to Iowa calling for the Louisiana Board of Regents to create a policy mandating that student-athletes be present for a pregame national anthem or risk losing their scholarships.

Several conservative commentators had spent the previous several hours criticizing LSU's players and coaches for not being on the court when the national anthem was played ahead of the Elite Eight in Albany, New York.
. . .
The LSU players not being on the court wasn't a protest of any sort, as LSU head coach Kim Mulkey explained after the game. The coach of the defending champions told reporters that the team was following its usual pregame routine:
Quote:

"Honestly, I don't even know when the anthem was played. We kind of have a routine when they're on the floor and they come off at the 12-minute mark. I don't know, we come in and we do our pregame stuff. I'm sorry, listen, that's nothing intentionally done."
. . .
The governor's request was met with overall befuddlement from LSU and its administrators. Jimmy Clarke, the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors chair, told the Louisiana Illuminator, "I see some difficulties in trying to enforce something like that," while the state's commissioner of higher education, Kim Hunter Reed, noted that the board of regents plays no role in decisions about scholarships.

Meanwhile, an LSU spokesperson pointed out in a statement that both the men's and women's basketball teams have stayed in the locker room during the national anthem for a long time, preparing for the game instead:
Quote:

"Our basketball programs have not been on the court for the anthem for the last several seasons. Usually the anthem is played 12 minutes before the game when the team is in the locker room doing final preparations."
. . .

Who?mikejones!
It appears to me this was SOP for lsu.

But, the image was terrible for lsu.

As I said before in this thread, keep your activism for your own time. Don't not co-opt the organization's stage for you personal beliefs. Shut up and dribble. Shut up and build. Shut up and do whatever your supposed to do.
Bubblez
Agthatbuilds said:

As I said before in this thread, keep your activism for your own time. Don't not co-opt the organization's stage for you personal beliefs. Shut up and dribble. Shut up and build. Shut up and do whatever your supposed to do.
It is terrible look because those on the right want sporting events to be more than just "shutting up and dribbling". Somehow these events need to be turned into a demonstration of one's nationalism. Meanwhile LSU was simply going through their normal routine of trying to prepare to "shut up and dribble".
Who?mikejones!
Lol
HtownAg92
AG
Im Gipper said:

aTmAg said:

Booma94 said:

Nobody watches.

hth

Lots of oddballs!

To be fair (or unfair, whatever), there was not a men's college basketball game going on at the same time. If any of the elite eight games were played on MOnday night, the number of "viewers" would probably drop by 60-70%. It has shown already when women's games went head-to-head with even first round men's games.
BlueSmoke
aTmAg said:

Booma94 said:

Nobody watches.

hth
12+ million people did for that game
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Im Gipper
How many watched each men's elite 8 game?

I'm Gipper
Who?mikejones!
Bubblez said:

Agthatbuilds said:

It is terrible look because those on the right want sporting events to be more than just "shutting up and dribbling". Somehow these events need to be turned into a demonstration of one's nationalism. Meanwhile LSU was simply going through their normal routine of trying to prepare to "shut up and dribble".

Maybe. But, that's not the world we live in. The world we live in has a national anthem.

At the moment of undivided attention, one team was standing there respecting said tradition, while the other was not. That's why it look bad.

I dont know when the anthem tradition started. I can only know that I did it for every game I've ever played in, and don't remember a college
professional, or even high school sporting event that didn't do it. So, it's not an unexpected event and not participating could look bad.

HtownAg92
AG
Im Gipper said:

How many watched each men's elite 8 game?
I don't know for each one, but here is Duke-NC State:

The Elite Eight game between NC State and Duke produced the largest audience for an Easter Sunday telecast on any network in 11 years. The Wolfpack's 76-64 victory over the Blue Devils in the South Region final averaged 15.1 million viewers on CBS, according to Nielsen.

Edit: Your hoped-for narrative crumbles. Men's games draw near the numbers of your unicorn game on the regular, even when competing with each other.

Men's Tourney Viewership
agsalaska
AG
Bubblez said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I do not agree with you very often but this is exactly right. If the right really wanted them to just 'shut up and dribble' this would be a non issue.

FYI- This could have just as easily happened to A&M. I have no idea if they stayed on the court against Nebraska or not.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Who?mikejones!
Hard to say it the rights fault. When/why did the national anthem start?

Doesn't matter though. It's the SOP for today's sporting events and it happens every game.

**I don't care whether or not it gets played. For college, play the school songs and get on with the game. That's fine. But, it's not what we currently do, so, applying such logic is irrelevant.
agsalaska
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Doesn't matter though. It's the SOP for today's sporting events and it happens every game.
No it doesnt. Thats what you are missing.

It hardly ever happens in basketball. Iowa staying on the court was an exception.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Who?mikejones!
That's funny, I don't ever remember a game without the national anthem.
HtownAg92
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I don't think I've ever been to one without.

And until I got to college, there were very few games without a prayer.
Ellis Wyatt
agsalaska said:

Agthatbuilds said:

It hardly ever happens in basketball. Iowa staying on the court was an exception.
I can assure you, everything about a pregame, especially a televised big game, is scripted to the second and each team is given that script/agenda/schedule. And the locker rooms have huge digital clocks so everyone is aware what time it is before the game and at halftime.

Everyone involved knew when and where the national anthem would occur and where their team was expected to be at the time. They chose to do something else.
agsalaska
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

It is well documented on this thread that A&M basketball is also not on the court for the national anthem. I think that is true for most if not all of the SEC.

That's my point and LSUs point. They haven't done it all year and were in their normal routine.

Was A&M on the court for the anthem against Nebraska?

Look I don't like the protests any more than the next person. And I detest LSU and their fans. But this is all just fake outrage. But whatever makes your day better. Or worse as some of you prefer.

agsalaska
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

agsalaska said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I can assure you, everything about a pregame, especially a televised big game, is scripted to the second and each team is given that script/agenda/schedule. And the locker rooms have huge digital clocks so everyone is aware what time it is before the game and at halftime.

Everyone involved knew when and where the national anthem would occur and where their team was expected to be at the time. They chose to do something else.
Do you know they were expected to be on the court? Was Iowa expected to be or just decided at the last second.

Again, it is fake outrage. But have at it.

Who?mikejones!
I already said I don't care and the it was SOP for lsu. Doesn't affect my day in any way.

I'm just saying it looks bad because one team was on the court respecting the anthem while the other was not.

It looks bad no matter what lsu's standard pregame routine was.

I can't remember if the sec changed their policy in 2020 because of all the protest or not, but inwouldnt be surprised to see it changed again because of the optics of this situation.
agsalaska
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I already said I don't care and the it was SOP for lsu. Doesn't affect my day in any way.

I'm just saying it looks bad because one team was on the court respecting the anthem while the other was not.

It looks bad no matter what lsu's standard pregame routine was.

I can't remember if the sec changed their policy in 2020 because of all the protest or not, but inwouldnt be surprised to see it changed again because of the optics of this situation.
Agreed. It does look bad.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.