LSU walks off court for National Anthem

19,261 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by HtownAg92
Im Gipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Edit: Your hoped-for narrative crumbles.

What narrative was I hoping for?

This one off game got a great rating. Outdrew some men's elite 8 games. Men's sports is still several times more popular than women's and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Try to be less argumentative and answer a question if you know.

I'm Gipper
SgtBarbarossa
Im Gipper said:

Quote:

LSU doesn't even have one player from New Orleans.
I didn't realize New Orleans was the only city a player could be from!

Per ESPN, the two leading scorers are from Baltimore and Chicago!

Well yeah, the best shooters are gonna be from Chicago, Baltimore, New Orleans... Detroit, Memphis...
ArbAg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

It appears to me this was SOP for lsu.

But, the image was terrible for lsu.

As I said before in this thread, keep your activism for your own time. Don't not co-opt the organization's stage for you personal beliefs. Shut up and dribble. Shut up and build. Shut up and do whatever your supposed to do.
Activism? You are free to build or do whatever you do because you live in a free country with individual rights. It's not an inconvenience to recognize liberty, it should be recognized as a privilege --- especially given the life and sacrifices made for your rights.
Who?mikejones!
ArbAg said:

Agthatbuilds said:

As I said before in this thread, keep your activism for your own time. Don't not co-opt the organization's stage for you personal beliefs. Shut up and dribble. Shut up and build. Shut up and do whatever your supposed to do.
Activism? You are free to build or do whatever you do because you live in a free country with individual rights. It's not an inconvenience to recognize liberty, it should be recognized as a privilege --- especially given the life and sacrifices made for your rights.

Yes. You are free to do so on your own time. You can use your fame, notoriety to advocate for whatever one wants.

Don't not co-opt a platform that isn't yours to push your activist beliefs, regardless of what those may be. It's basically theft.

Not a hard concept.
ShaggySLC
Agthatbuilds said:

I already said I don't care and the it was SOP for lsu. Doesn't affect my day in any way.

I'm just saying it looks bad because one team was on the court respecting the anthem while the other was not.

It looks bad no matter what lsu's standard pregame routine was.

I can't remember if the sec changed their policy in 2020 because of all the protest or not, but inwouldnt be surprised to see it changed again because of the optics of this situation.
I think a lot of schools did that to take the possibility of a protest out. They knew they were coming.
Who?mikejones!
I vaguely remember that.

I know Mond gets a lot of hate around here, and while I disagree with his point of views on some topics, I appreciate he did his "protesting" off the field.
ShaggySLC
Agthatbuilds said:

I vaguely remember that.

I know Mond gets a lot of hate around here, and while I disagree with his point of views on some topics, I appreciate he did his "protesting" off the field.
He was told by players to shut up and play or leave like Hines and Asbon from what I heard.
Who?mikejones!
Glad he listened.
ShaggySLC
Agthatbuilds said:

Glad he listened.
That was a great year, crazy watching the downfall from there. Certainly, wasn't a big Mond fan, but he stayed healthy and battled!!
GinMan
AG
HtownAg92 said:

GinMan said:

Mulkey has zero class

Let he/she who does not hug by aggressively pulling someone close by the back of the neck in a typical gesture of dominance cast the first stone.

Sheesh. Mulkey is the absolute worst.

Louisianimals

ArbAg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

ArbAg said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Yes. You are free to do so on your own time. You can use your fame, notoriety to advocate for whatever one wants.

Don't not co-opt a platform that isn't yours to push your activist beliefs, regardless of what those may be. It's basically theft.

Not a hard concept.

No, it's not a difficult concept, it's called freedom. You should be eternally grateful to have it and to those who sacrificed so much to provide it. Got that now!
Who?mikejones!
I'm not sure you understand the concept of free speech.

We're clearly not going to get anywhere on this issue. Have a good Sunday
Muy
AG
Booma94 said:

I think the headline is misleading. I didn't watch, but from what I read they did not walk off the court for the National Anthem, they went in after warm-up and did not come out from the locker room before the anthem. Twitter said that's their usual pre-game routine.

Can anyone who watched confirm or refute?

Not sure it makes it better if their pre-game routine is to sit out the national anthem when their opponents stay out there to show respect.
bigjag19
AG
It's standard for SEC.

If you know anything you know you don't change a pregame routine.
Muy
AG
bigjag19 said:

It's standard for SEC.

Why not? It clearly doesn't work.
Texas A&M
bigjag19 said:

It's standard for SEC.

It wasn't standard for our men's team until they caved to the BLM crowd back in the summer of riots.
Im Gipper
I have to say, I really did not think Catlin Clark et al would outdraw the Men's final 4!

That is very impressive!

This is a "one off" for sure and not a sign women's basketball is more popular as many more watched mens games overall, but it sure beats the narrative some pushed about the Elite 8 and men games having to compete with one another!

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/04/mens-final-four-ratings-viewership-mixed-both-games-trail-iowa-uconn-women/

I'm Gipper
HtownAg92
AG
Im Gipper said:

I have to say, I really did not think Catlin Clark et al would outdraw the Men's final 4!

That is very impressive!

This is a "one off" for sure and not a sign women's basketball is more popular as many more watched mens games overall, but it sure beats the narrative some pushed about the Elite 8 and men games having to compete with one another!

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/04/mens-final-four-ratings-viewership-mixed-both-games-trail-iowa-uconn-women/
Congrats.

What's next, "the women's game is better because it is purer" or "Clark could play in the NBA?"
Im Gipper
Bizarre response. You should try " I was wrong, this Cairlin Clark phenomenon really was something big" rather than continuing to try to distort my position.

Oh, for the record, the women's game is not better, and you were going to see these ratings numbers come crashing down next year. Clark could not even play for a good boys high school basketball team, let alone the NBA.

I'm Gipper
HtownAg92
AG
Im Gipper said:

Bizarre response. You should try " I was wrong, this Cairlin Clark phenomenon really was something big" rather than continuing to try to distort my position.

Oh, for the record, the women's game is not better, and you were going to see these ratings numbers come crashing down next year. Clark could not even play for a good boys high school basketball team, let alone the NBA.

How bizarre was it?

You were the first (and only) to respond to the "no one watches" with a ratings article.
You responded to the "one off" suggestion with a gotcha "question" of what the men drew.
And surprise, surprise, you were the first (and only) to come boast about the ratings of a women's game.

And I don't know if I was wrong. This "phenomenon" was totally manufactured and hyped ad nauseum, so it may have gained some viewers through let me see what the fuss is about....oh, okay....lurkers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.