Real estate agent wants you to pay it forward!

20,297 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Ed Harley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The residential real estate agents on this thread are showing their true colors and are confirming what we all knew: they don't give a **** about the client, fiduciary duties notwithstanding. They don't like a comp? Don't provide it. They don't like a listing? Don't show it.

And spare me with this horsehit of "no one works for free." Get out of the ******* job if you can't get paid at the expense of breaching your fiduciary duties.
StandUpforAmerica
FSBO sounds like a good option for you (and this is from someone who's not an agent).
Saltwater Assassin
AG
Lots of high volume workday internet forum posters on here talking about people not working hard.

No judgement, I really don't care, it's just funny to me in an ironic way.
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
MelvinUdall
Saltwater Assassin said:

Lots of high volume workday internet forum posters on here talking about people not working hard.

That's going to leave a mark.
Ed Harley
AG
MelvinUdall said:

Sal****er Assassin said:

On what? People calling out realtors for breaching fiduciary duties?
Ed Harley
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

FSBO sounds like a good option for you (and this is from someone who's not an agent).
Agree, but only because everything said on this thread by agents confirms what I already knew: these fools wouldn't know a fiduciary duty if it bit them on the ass. They're literally BRAGGING about breaching it. But it doesn't matter because they don't want to work for free.
MelvinUdall
Ed Harley said:

MelvinUdall said:

Saltwater Assassin said:

The people that are complaining about realtors on here and they don't really work, and yet we have posters during the middle of a work day, making those criticisms, furiously posting.
cecil77
AG
It's nuts that commissions are basically the same as 40 years ago when there was no internet and agents used a paper MLS book.

There are more than enough tools available to FSBO and do it efficiently and profitably.

No particular offence to any one on this thread (I've not read anywhere near all of it) but residential agents have never seemed like of much use to me. Big commercial deals is a different matter though...
Heineken-Ashi
Hungry Ojos said:

StandUpforAmerica said:

Hungry Ojos said:

I'm not arguing for unfettered access to the MLS. It's their proprietary software, and that's fine. However, they've also arranged for it to be really the only effective way to market real estate in Texas.

To answer your second question, the agent has a fiduciary duty to the client. So if the client wants to buy a house with no buyer's commission, that's too bad. They shouldn't have agreed to represent the buyer without insuring they'd get paid. To not do so and then only show houses where you get a free 3% from the seller doesn't seem to be acting in the best interest of the buyer.
Start your own MLS.

To your 2nd point, it is amusing how so many people want everything in this process for free.

It is too late to go down this path, but it would have been much better in the long run IMO if realtors were paid by the hour for everything. Look at houses for three hours, that will be 3 x hourly rate. Spend 8 hours getting a house ready to be listed, get paid 8 x hourly rate..

Huh? I don't want anyone to do anything for "free". But if a buyer wants to hire an agent, then the buyer should pay them for their services. Not the seller.
And when the majority of sellers are still offering buyer agent commissions to try and maximize eyeballs that see their house, the seller offering none will be at a disadvantage. It's more or less a marketing fee.

Like I've said, if you want anything to substantially change, you better hope that Zillow and Redfin get WAY better at being valuable. And it would help if you could get lawfare on your side to disband NAR (not going to happen), or hope another trade union comes about that can effectively compete with them (likely not to happen either).

Realtors will still be here in 10 years. And there will still be a structure in place that dominates the majority of sales where the seller is paying most of or all of the commission for the buyer's agent.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
StoneCold99
AG
This thread was a very interesting read.

It's made me very thankful for the realtor we use.

I think this settlement will provide a much needed culling of the 'husband and wife' realtors who both have full time jobs in other industries and really just want to prey on uneducated friends for that sweet commission on the side, who really don't know chit about the profession and just passed the online test.

We dealt with one of those when selling our house, and she had our realtor's mouth dropping in the signing meeting with the questions she was asking (in front of her clients)!

Also, boy am I glad I'm not in the market for a realtor, as some of them in this thread have really showed their ass. You all must have a different definition of fiduciary than I do.

Arguing that everything is fine while your professional association is embroiled in an antitrust lawsuit is like the gif of the guy in front of the burning house. "There is no need to panic!"
Ed Harley
AG
MelvinUdall said:

Ed Harley said:

MelvinUdall said:

Saltwater Assassin said:

The people that are complaining about realtors on here and they don't really work, and yet we have posters during the middle of a work day, making those criticisms, furiously posting.
I never said they didn't work. I said they are breaching their fiduciary duties by what they admit they are doing.
MelvinUdall
Ed Harley said:

MelvinUdall said:

Ed Harley said:

MelvinUdall said:

Saltwater Assassin said:

I never said they didn't work. I said they are breaching their fiduciary duties by what they admit they are doing.

And Saltwater wasn't directing his post to you, it was a general post about how others have said that realtors really don't work.
ProgN
93MarineHorn said:

If the time ever comes that I sell my place, I'm going to seriously consider FSBO. I bought my place back in '21 and my realtor (older lady) got COVID and was hospitalized for weeks and then her brain was still pretty scrambled afterwards. I did all the negotiating with the seller's agent directly. Maybe I'm crazy but it just doesn't seem too difficult, especially for a condo sale.
When you or anyone need to sell or buy your place, please consider Red Pear Realty. They're good people and iirc they charge like 1-2%, before this court decision. FTR, I'm not a realtor, nor have ever been one, but when the day comes and I need to sell, I will be using them. I know you're a horn and they're Ags, but you both are solid people. JMO
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
ProgN said:

93MarineHorn said:

If the time ever comes that I sell my place, I'm going to seriously consider FSBO. I bought my place back in '21 and my realtor (older lady) got COVID and was hospitalized for weeks and then her brain was still pretty scrambled afterwards. I did all the negotiating with the seller's agent directly. Maybe I'm crazy but it just doesn't seem too difficult, especially for a condo sale.
When you or anyone need to sell or buy your place, please consider Red Pear Realty. They're good people and iirc they charge like 1-2%, before this court decision. FTR, I'm not a realtor, nor have ever been one, but when the day comes and I need to sell, I will be using them. I know you're a horn and they're Ags, but you both are solid people. JMO

Thank you Prog! You are awesome and we think Aggies are awesome (especially so the ones in college station **wink wink**) but really - we've always embraced the motto that Aggies help Aggies! Which is why red pear was founded in the first place. We've always worked ourselves to the uphold the best for our clients and provide stellar results!

Who knows what this new industry will look like (seriously no one on the NAR/TAR level has provided anything of substance to define what will happen) but I'll tell you this - we at Red Pear will always work for you our Aggie clients first and foremost.

We don't do this to make 3% commissions. We do this because we want to help Aggies make it to their next stage in life. I personally love first time home buyers and can't tell you how many times I've gotten home to the wife with a giant grin on my face after helping someone buy their first house and seeing they got thousands of dollars of help from our services to help make that a reality.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.