Air marshalls being taken off flights

6,088 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by InfantryAg
Hawk2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are many reasons to bash Brandon... is this thread just a proxy to bash him?
Hawk2007
UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

I'll give the troll some food.

Air Marshall stopped a student from accessing the cockpit of an Alaskan Airlines flight two weeks ago.

Did you miss that skippy?

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/nathan-jones-alaska-airlines-open-cockpit-door/

Where was the air marshall, skippy?

Flight attendants eventually requested help from off-duty law enforcement officers, who "restrained Jones in flex cuffs and sat on either side of him for the remainder of the flight," according to the affidavit.

Right here:

Quote:

The flight was traveling from California to Virginia on March 3, according to an affidavit filed by federal air marshal Thomas G. Pattinson and reviewed by CBS News.

He was filing affidavits.

Probably because he wasn't on the airplane which is the whole POINT of this thread.

Right... right...

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/by_the_numbers

The FAA handles an average of 45,000 daily flights. There are an estimated 3,000 air marshals until somebody provides a better number. So, the math ain't mathing.

BTW -- the Aggie you quoted "Air Marshall stopped....".... and the article mentions nothing of an air marshal being on board.

Hawk2007
Gaw617 said:

This isn't optimal but it is like 1000th issue on the list of issues we have. 30T+ in debt, inflation, a SCOTUS judge thinks the government has 1st amendment rights, and another can't tell the difference between a man and a woman. All the while republicans are boasting of introducing a bill that accomplishes nothing.

Have never and will never vote democrat in my life... but I've seen the government do a lot of ******ed **** in my life, and I know actual issues that TexAgs has gone off the rails on and I have to keep my mouth shut on... but this is honestly not even in the top 10 or top 50 of issues we're dealing with... hence my bash Brandon proxy comment above.

I've voted for Cruz (except Trump in the primaries) before and I'll vote for him again, but I'm not buying the tweet.
UAS Ag
Hawk2007 said:

UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Air Marshall stopped a student from accessing the cockpit of an Alaskan Airlines flight two weeks ago.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/nathan-jones-alaska-airlines-open-cockpit-door/

Flight attendants eventually requested help from off-duty law enforcement officers, who "restrained Jones in flex cuffs and sat on either side of him for the remainder of the flight," according to the affidavit.

Right here:

Quote:

The flight was traveling from California to Virginia on March 3, according to an affidavit filed by federal air marshal Thomas G. Pattinson and reviewed by CBS News.

Probably because he wasn't on the airplane which is the whole POINT of this thread.

Right... right...

The FAA handles an average of 45,000 daily flights. There are an estimated 3,000 air marshals until somebody provides a better number. So, the math ain't mathing.

So, you're saying we're short 42K air marshals?

Well, even more since they're not putting those 3000 on the planes right now.
Hawk2007
UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Right here:

Quote:

Right... right...

So, you're saying we're short 42K air marshals?

Well, even more since they're not putting those 3000 on the planes right now.

Ha! Now who is trolling? But I know where your math is coming from and it's a valid point.

Keep in mind, I'm guessing there are planes that pass through US airspace or FAA jurisdiction and don't have a domestic embarkation/disembarkation. If I were a terrorist, I'd take one of those planes. There are more passive cultures out there than America's. Just saying.
torrid
AG
Have they ever saved the day and stopped real terrorists? I think there have been a couple instances where they shot people who were having a mental health crisis of some sort but were not really a threat.
Layne Staley
AG
BigRobSA said:

Good Lord, this idiot of a PotUS just can't do anything correctly.

How about actually enforce the laws of the country and not making flights more dangerous? Support the BP you ignorant **** .

Its Obama and Valerie Jarrett that are the puppet masters to him. Soros, the UN and our taxpayer funded NGO's are their money to do it.
YouBet
AG
Hawk2007 said:

There are many reasons to bash Brandon... is this thread just a proxy to bash him?

If he reassigned Air Marshals to track people who were at J6 then he deserves to be bashed. Changing the scope of these jobs to waste time on this horse**** notion that Republicans are our biggest domestic threat is Orwellian gaslighting. And it needs to be countered.

Otherwise, I think it's fine to debate if usage of Air Marshals is still a worthwhile ROI based on all the facts at hand.
TexAgs91
AG
Impeach Biden

America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
InfantryAg
AG
Hawk2007 said:

UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

We don't have the resources to put Air Marshals on every flight. They are put on the flights based on risk, it's not just random. They blend in and are not going to respond to a karen or some other non-life threatening issue.

The number publicly available does not include armed FDOs and the thousands of other federal officers who are trained to fly armed and act as air marshals.
APHIS AG
Sims said:

But Biden is telling us its raining.
ts5641
Hawk2007 said:

Logos Stick said:

Hawk2007 said:

Is there really an issue with passengers trying to breach the cockpit mid flight? It's insane how many daily flights there are... With the number of smartphones onboard every plane, I'm not seeing viral videos of this being a problem.

So your take is that we don't need air marshalls?

I don't see videos of millions of houses burning down each day so I guess we don't need home insurance either.

What?

Am I missing something here? Where are all of these hijacked planes?
Why do any preventative measures? Why have police? Most people aren't crime victims.
This is the exact attitude, along with some mocking, why terrible things happen and they we're reactionary.
TRADUCTOR
How about eliminating taking shoes off. Also the Homeland Security should be out the door cause white nan terroristic threat is simply quelled.
BluHorseShu
AG
ts5641 said:

Hawk2007 said:

Logos Stick said:

Hawk2007 said:

Is there really an issue with passengers trying to breach the cockpit mid flight? It's insane how many daily flights there are... With the number of smartphones onboard every plane, I'm not seeing viral videos of this being a problem.

So your take is that we don't need air marshalls?

I don't see videos of millions of houses burning down each day so I guess we don't need home insurance either.

What?

Am I missing something here? Where are all of these hijacked planes?
Why do any preventative measures? Why have police? Most people aren't crime victims.
This is the exact attitude, along with some mocking, why terrible things happen and they we're reactionary.
I'm all for keeping air marshals on flights, even if there is a tiny percentage of AM's to flights. However, I could swear there was a thread a couple of years ago talking about unnecessary gov't jobs and people were griping about paying AM's to just fly around, sit and do nothing 99.9% of the time.

What I don't get is announcing you're doing away with them. They were always 'undercover' and you never knew if you had one on your flight or not.

In the more than 20 years since 9/11, there have been so many security changes (cockpit doors, pilots carrying, increase airport security, etc) that I think statistically I'm far far more concerned about Boeing not placing bolts on a plane or the wheels literally coming off. If they're not going to employee them as AM's, maybe have them become aircraft inspectors.

TxAgPreacher
S
How does anyone support this incompetent, senile, evil man?
combat wombat™
AG
STL_aTm said:

Oh I don't know… as a deterrent for a major terrorist event. Maybe something like crashing a plane in a building?

No one would ever do that. What a ridiculous waste of resources.
Hawk2007
InfantryAg said:

Hawk2007 said:

UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

We don't have the resources to put Air Marshals on every flight. They are put on the flights based on risk, it's not just random. They blend in and are not going to respond to a karen or some other non-life threatening issue.

The number publicly available does not include armed FDOs and the thousands of other federal officers who are trained to fly armed and act as air marshals.

Fair enough... I'm also not asking for TTPs to be revealed. But, then the secondary question that F16 is just flying right by with... with smartphones everywhere, where are all of these incidents taking place in the air since they're not going to get involved with Karens? Air Marshals are simultaneously everywhere and nowhere all at once and they're keeping the terrorists guessing so much that that's why there haven't been any successful hijackings in domestic air space since.

Somebody cited an article above --- then you actually read the article and it was off-duty LEO that actually restrained the individual. I have no idea if that poster ever came back. Many Americans, and maybe some on this board, talk big about FAFO with my family and 2nd Amendment rights... I'm pretty sure post 9/11, Muslims trying to hijack a plane are not going to get as far as they did pre-9/11. We have a more willing to get involved public if you will.

I'm making a broad assumption here that post 9/11, air crews take at least one course on terrorist and plane hijackings (in addition to their lecture series on DEI initiatives). I'm also making a broad assumption that the cockpit doors are fairly secure and impenetrable mid-flight.

I know there are current and retired pilots on this forum. Even if I'm put in my place by one of them, I'll continue to look at Flightradar24, I'll continue to look at the number of phones used for boarding passes, and I'll continue to wonder why I'm not seeing all of these routine issues with people failing or successfully breaching the cockpit. Keep in mind, the flight attendants are there for the safety and security of the passengers on the plane. They are not there to serve us drinks or cocktails.
Hawk2007
BluHorseShu said:

I'm all for keeping air marshals on flights, even if there is a tiny percentage of AM's to flights. However, I could swear there was a thread a couple of years ago talking about unnecessary gov't jobs and people were griping about paying AM's to just fly around, sit and do nothing 99.9% of the time.

What I don't get is announcing you're doing away with them. They were always 'undercover' and you never knew if you had one on your flight or not.

In the more than 20 years since 9/11, there have been so many security changes (cockpit doors, pilots carrying, increase airport security, etc) that I think statistically I'm far far more concerned about Boeing not placing bolts on a plane or the wheels literally coming off. If they're not going to employee them as AM's, maybe have them become aircraft inspectors.

The only thing I can think of that would jive with this board is that since Air Marshals provide security, DOD provides national security, and hence it touches a nerve when you attack security.

Though, I don't see the collective thought here being terribly respectful of TSA agents, even though they're the first line of defense (beyond automated passenger name/DOB checks) that 99.99% of us flyers have to deal with and are by far the most visible and proactive security measures we and the terrorists see at American airports. TSA also routinely publishes the guns, knives, brass knuckles, and other weapons they routinely find on a daily basis.

I thought somebody high-up in DHS admitted once in Congressional testimony that they're not aware of a single terrorist incident TSA has stopped since being formed.

I could be wrong. Maybe F16 loves TSA. I try to be pleasant with the agents, because a public facing GS-05/07/09 job like theirs sucks.
Hawk2007
TRADUCTOR said:

How about eliminating taking shoes off. Also the Homeland Security should be out the door cause white nan terroristic threat is simply quelled.

The shoe thing was an over reaction by a sip working the JIOC that day. I think he admits that in retrospect it was silly, but he's retired and just got $50 million.
Hawk2007
YouBet said:

Hawk2007 said:

If he reassigned Air Marshals to track people who were at J6 then he deserves to be bashed. Changing the scope of these jobs to waste time on this horse**** notion that Republicans are our biggest domestic threat is Orwellian gaslighting. And it needs to be countered.

Otherwise, I think it's fine to debate if usage of Air Marshals is still a worthwhile ROI based on all the facts at hand.

I think that that is the only point that has resonated with me here.... hired for one job, do the one job... and then being tasked to a completely different job for political reasons.
InfantryAg
AG
Hawk2007 said:

InfantryAg said:

Hawk2007 said:

UAS Ag said:

Hawk2007 said:

Fightin_Aggie said:

Fair enough... I'm also not asking for TTPs to be revealed. But, then the secondary question that F16 is just flying right by with... with smartphones everywhere, where are all of these incidents taking place in the air since they're not going to get involved with Karens? Air Marshals are simultaneously everywhere and nowhere all at once and they're keeping the terrorists guessing so much that that's why there haven't been any successful hijackings in domestic air space since.
No answer, I haven't really paid attention and don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. Just an FYI based on my personal knowledge and info I know is not sensitive.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.