Reality comes at you fast

10,794 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Anubus
Phatbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what happens when you live in your parents basement for most of your life and then expect your employer to have the responsibility to take care of you like your parents did.

Old Sarge
AG
Newslady, please report the facts, and leave your emotion out of it unless you are covering something like the Hindenburg landing.

Hipsters acting up and demanding things get what a normal working person would get, except they are not normal, just hipster/hippie entitled brats, that made a huuuge mistake of Unionizing.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Move on....
"Green" is the new RED.
TRADUCTOR
When keeping it real goes wrong.
Workers unite!
TAMU1990
AG
My kids have way more moxie than these 20 somethings.
MarkTwain
So a bunch of 1099 workers made up some matching T-Shirts, claimed to be a 'union", starts making demands and striking for months, and the day their "contract" expired are shown the door. By now they have already realized they aren't eligible for unemployment, and their bogus union, have no way to support them financially, and they are dumbfounded by their situation, and have no clue why they got to this place in life........
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
LMCane
"THAT... IS AWFUL"

LMAO
Roll the Bones
AG
The timing of that bell was impeccable!
jja79
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

What is it about AUSTIN do you not understand?
Haven't been to Austin in about 25 years and have no plans to ever go again so I know enough right? I just don't understand why a city council would let idiots like this have the mic.
BluHorseShu
AG
FIDO95 said:

Appartently Google Music team in Austin recently unionized and began protesting for better wages they believed they were owed given their bachlors degrees and experience. Google apparently had a different view of these peoples value to the company. They got fired live, mid-day while petitioning the city government to intervene. Now they have the opportunity to seek a job that will give them all the things their little pea picking hearts desire... at least until their unemployement runs out. Then the reality will hit them again when they have the realization that they spent too much money on a useless degree.
I imagine their job search has after this will go like this

PermBro - "Hey Google Assistant, help me find a job"...

Google Assistant - "Ok...here's what I show...McDonalds is hiring"....
captkirk
AG
WTF was the Austin City Council supposed to do to assist them?
dmart90
AG
jja79 said:

Ginormus Ag said:

What is it about AUSTIN do you not understand?
Haven't been to Austin in about 25 years and have no plans to ever go again so I know enough right? I just don't understand why a city council would let idiots like this have the mic.
In Open Session, you don't have control over who talks. All you can do is limit their time and then move on.
jja79
AG
Sorry for being so dumb man. I've never gone to a council meeting. How stupid was that guy to think the city council could help them?
AgNav93
AG
That made my day. Thanks. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
Ellis Wyatt
APHIS AG said:

American Hardwood said:

A job is a privilege, not an entitlement. You're learning it the hard way Broseph!
This. Workers today think that employers are there to cater to them and bend down to them.
I have one of these who works for me now. Early 30s. Walks out the door at 5:00:01 every day. Refuses to learn any additional functions within the office. Says she should be paid extra for anything she does that isn't specifically what she thinks falls within her job description and refuses to do anything (client appreciation dinners, etc.) if it doesn't fall within the work day.

Constantly *****es that she can't afford to buy a house and that Biden hasn't paid off her student loans from a private school Psychology degree.

She shows up for work almost every day, but she is last on my list of who I will ever recommend for a promotion...and I have no respect for her whatsoever.
Ellis Wyatt
captkirk said:

WTF was the Austin City Council supposed to do to assist them?
Virtue signal, I would assume.
bloodhound
AG
Goggle (Alphabet) is the wokiest woke corporation except when it no longer suites them, just like their "don't do evil" pledge.
Not Coach Jimbo
Remember how many smear pieces Elon got for Twitter layoffs?

Imagine the crucifixion if he had pulled this stunt.

But google music employees? Lol...
BigRobSA
MouthBQ98 said:

If they were fired for cause, they may not be eligible for unemployment insurance payments.

You're applying logic. Stop. This is a govt entity. In the past, I fired employees...for cause, numerous instances of said "cause"...only to have their UE case be approved.

The worst was for job abandonment and the "judge" on the call actually asked if I had explained to the person (who never replied to texts or calls post abandonment) that their abandonment was a bad thing. My reply was polite, but inquisitive as to the intellectual capacity of the "judge" , or the employee.
cslifer
So she doesn't want to work for free after hours? Weird.
Al Bula
AG
I was today years old when I learned google still has a music service.
agent-maroon
AG
Hahahahahaha...

But seriously, what the hell is google music? Real life application of the old "if a tree falls in the forest..." philosophical question.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BarnacleBill
AG
Now THAT was funny. And the info babe is an idiot
dmart90
AG
cslifer said:

So she doesn't want to work for free after hours? Weird.
Putting in a little extra is how you get ahead...
Ag with kids
AG
Foreverconservative said:

So a bunch of 1099 workers made up some matching T-Shirts, claimed to be a 'union", starts making demands and striking for months, and the day their "contract" expired are shown the door. By now they have already realized they aren't eligible for unemployment, and their bogus union, have no way to support them financially, and they are dumbfounded by their situation, and have no clue why they got to this place in life........
So...basically, they didn't perform the work required under the contract and they're surprised the contract didn't get renewed...

Hmmm...who woulda thunk that would happen???
BadMoonRisin
AG
The "ding" followed by the "wow" was interesting.

It's like he was aaaaaaaaaalmost on the verge of realizing how stupid he was.
MarkTwain
MouthBQ98 said:

If they were fired for cause, they may not be eligible for unemployment insurance payments.
They are all 1099 contractors NOT employees. 1099 contractors are NOT eligible for unemployed for any reason. THEY WERE NOT FIRED, THEIR CONTRACT EXPIRED and the were no longer needed.

HTH
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
El Chupacabra
LMCane said:

"THAT... IS AWESOME"

LMAO
fify
Tex117
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

The "ding" followed by the "wow" was interesting.

It's like he was aaaaaaaaaalmost on the verge of realizing how stupid he was.
Thats the impression I got as well.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, I was responding to someone above me who implied they were UE eligible. I didn't look into the details.
UTExan
Maybe the City of Austin can ban Google as a search engine on its city computers.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
akm91
AG
If the contracts were to expire, they'd have known about it beforehand. Cognizant would've lined up other projects for them or told hem that their jobs would end. More likely that Google terminated the contract for convenience.

Either way, they were Cognizant employees; what part of their work dynamic do they not understand?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aggie4Life02
AG
That's the best thing I have seen in a while.
Burdizzo
AG
Roll the Bones said:

The timing of that bell was impeccable!

*ding*

Savage
MarkTwain
akm91 said:

If the contracts were to expire, they'd have known about it beforehand. Cognizant would've lined up other projects for them or told hem that their jobs would end. More likely that Google terminated the contract for convenience.

Either way, they were Cognizant employees; what part of their work dynamic do they not understand?
Have you even been to Cognizant's website? These people were not employees, they were 1099 contractors.

Go do a job search on their website

They don't have ANY US employees. They are a labor service basically in the US and they supply contract labor.

Cognizant is an entity incorporated in Wilmington Delaware at the Corporate Trust Center, along with about 1200 other companies, they have o office space and no actual brick and mortar presence. It's a common practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_Trust_Center

Here's a good article explaining that NONE of these people were employees the were temps, in other words 1099 contractors. and it was COGNIZANT that failed to renew the contract evidently

https://www.billboard.com/business/business-news/youtube-music-layoffs-contractors-who-unionized-questions-accusations-1235627884/
DVM97
AG
Foreverconservative said:

MouthBQ98 said:

They are all 1099 contractors NOT employees. 1099 contractors are NOT eligible for unemployed for any reason. THEY WERE NOT FIRED, THEIR CONTRACT EXPIRED and the were no longer needed.

HTH
Facts!!
I'm not sure what they thought the end game was going to be?? You are a CONTRACT employee, there is no guarantee of a job for 1099 employees. They learned a valuable lesson on real work economics and corporate policy.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.