Reality comes at you fast

10,792 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Anubus
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tramp96 said:

Someone help me out...they went to a city council meeting to discuss their strike with a private company that is not contracted by the city for services (unless I'm wrong on that part)...is that correct? For what purpose does a union strike hope to accomplish by going to whine about to city council...just to get some free TV time? Not to mention they aren't even employed by said company (I can't begin to articulate just how dumb that is...to strike against a company that you are contract labor for).

The level of stupidity on display here, at multiple levels, is mind-boggling.

When you are contract labor, the company with whom you are contracted to work for is your customer, not your employer. You don't protest your customers. You don't go to city council meetings to complain about your customer.

I just...I have no words.
Considering how these people think and their politics, they look to Austin City Council as their local Communist Board and probably had it in their head that the ACC Commies could somehow force Google into keeping them around.
Ag with kids
AG
akm91 said:

If the contracts were to expire, they'd have known about it beforehand. Cognizant would've lined up other projects for them or told hem that their jobs would end. More likely that Google terminated the contract for convenience.

Either way, they were Cognizant employees; what part of their work dynamic do they not understand?
Or, possibly Google terminated the contract because, by striking, the workers did not perform the work required to fulfill the contract, hence Cognizant did not fulfill their contract. Google probably wanted work performed for their money.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Bigballin said:

Hahahahahahahaha! Contractors thinking they are employees. NRB them and move on.

(Not Required Back)
As an HR consultant you have no idea how many times I've come across this scenario, but the biggest problem I see companies have with contractors is treating them like employees.
Ryan the Temp
AG
jja79 said:

Ginormus Ag said:

What is it about AUSTIN do you not understand?
Haven't been to Austin in about 25 years and have no plans to ever go again so I know enough right? I just don't understand why a city council would let idiots like this have the mic.
Municipalities in Texas are required to have a public session where citizens can come talk about literally anything they want.

MaroonStain
AG
For all porpoises, it is YT Music which not exactly a thriving platform.
jja79
AG
Be that as it may these are pathetic losers.
riverrataggie
AG
They are direct employees to cognizant. That is who fired them. Not Google.
Rongagin71
AG
Who and what is Cognizant?
First I've heard of them.
Are you saying these people were getting wages until laid off because Cognizant lost it's contract?

Edit to say, Thanks for answering, although
"Cognizant, Reinventing the World of Work"
isn't really what I was wondering about...
riverrataggie
AG
https://www.cognizant.com/us/en

There you go. It's a professional services firm. Similar to a big 4 accounting firm with a contract with any other company to perform tax work
Ciboag96
Since YouTube lost their music people, maybe I can apply.

Here's the sound I select for that lovely moment in the council meeting.

Anubus
Rongagin71 said:

Who and what is Cognizant?
First I've heard of them.
Are you saying these people were getting wages until laid off because Cognizant lost it's contract?

Edit to say, Thanks for answering, although
"Cognizant, Reinventing the World of Work"
isn't really what I was wondering about...
There is a Cognizant in College Station on Quality Circle. They bought the previous company and turned it into a H1B Visa mill for Indians.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.