"Texas" Federal Judge blocks illegal immigrants being arrest in Texas

9,715 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by will25u
Im Gipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wbtv.com/2024/02/29/judge-blocks-texas-law-that-gives-police-broad-powers-arrest-migrants-who-illegally-enter-us/

Quote:

A federal judge on Thursday blocked a new Texas law that gives police broad powers to arrest migrants suspected of illegally entering the U.S., dealing a victory to the Biden administration in its feud with Republican Gov. Greg Abbott over immigration enforcement.

The preliminary injunction granted by U.S. District Judge David Ezra pauses a law that was set to take effect March 5 and came as President Joe Biden and his likely Republican challenger in November, Donald Trump, were visiting Texas' southern border to discuss immigration. Texas officials are expected to appeal.

On to the 5th Circuit!

Same clown as here:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3388450/replies/65565827

Hawaii judge that moved to Texas!

I'm Gipper
Tea Party
Abbott should ignore it. Texas must protect itself from the invasion, especially since we have bad actors domestically enabling the invasion like this judge.
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
Rapier108
Judge was originally appointed by Reagan.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TA-OP
Appointed by Reagan for what it's worth.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Rapier108 said:

So what?
Im Gipper
TA-OP said:

Not worth much!

That was a time where President deferred to senators choices for district courts.

I'm Gipper
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
1872walker
Quote:

Ezra cited the Constitution's supremacy clause and U.S. Supreme Court decisions as factors that contributed to his ruling. He said the Texas law would conflict with federal immigration law, and the nation's foreign relations and treaty obligations.

When the federal government refuses to uphold federal law at the expense of a state and its citizens, then that state must take actions to protect its sovereignty.

Either enforce laws or get out of the way.
Im Gipper
Once again, a perfect meme!

You never disappoint good sir!

I'm Gipper
heavens11
AG
TA-OP said:

Good Lord. I'm an old man shouting at clouds most days and I was an adolescent during the Reagan days. When do these fossils retire
"It's just another corps trip boys, we'll march in behind the band"
CDUB98
AG
Rapier108 said:

If he's that old, he should be retired.

Reality is that the TX arrest law was never going to survive. While I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of Texas taking control and kicking people out, the simple fact is that, per the Constitution, immigration is a Federal matter.

Now, if TX wants to stand it's ground and tell the Feds to "Come and Take It," let's go. Time to get this **** overwith.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The U.S. Constitution: Preamble

The preamble sets the stage for the Constitution (Archives.gov). It clearly communicates the intentions of the framers and the purpose of the document. The preamble is an introduction to the highest law of the land; it is not the law. It does not define government powers or individual rights.

Establish Justice is the first of five objectives outlined in the 52-word paragraph that the Framers drafted in six weeks during the hot Philadelphia summer of 1787. They found a way to agree on the following basic principles:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
LINK

Not the law but the intent of the Constitution to "provide for the common defense."
Urban Ag
AG
Quote:

dealing a victory to the Biden administration in its feud with Republican Gov. Greg Abbott over immigration enforcement.

Everyone should think long and hard about this statement.

If this is a win for Biden then in proves without question that the democrat party is in fact purposely destroying this nation. There is absolutely no other logical conclusion.
PaulsBunions
AG
I like Reagan but a lot of his decisions are really aging like milk nowadays
Trajan88
AG
"A federal judge on Thursday blocked a new Texas law that gives police broad powers to arrest migrants suspected of illegally entering the U.S., dealing a victory to the Biden administration in its feud with Republican Gov. Greg Abbott over immigration enforcement"

Then this federal judge should have mandated the federal govt. adheres to / enforces existing immigration laws.

Just like the courts mandated (back in the 80s?) that undocumented/non-citizen minors were entitled to state-supported education/schooling.
An L of an Ag
AG
Tea Party said:

Abbott should ignore it. Texas must protect itself from the invasion, especially since we have bad actors domestically enabling the invasion like this judge.

This is the way.
TXAggie2011
AG
I mean, when it was passed everyone was looking around wondering how it'd pass Supremacy Clause muster in light of Arizona v US, etc.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
The feds are flat out telling Texas "We will NOT secure the border and you WILL take in all of these illegals". **** the federal government. Please keep fighting Abbott.
Fins Up!
AG
Yup. Ignore it. That's what the Democrats do.
1836er
AG
CDUB98 said:

Rapier108 said:

Reality is that the TX arrest law was never going to survive. While I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of Texas taking control and kicking people out, the simple fact is that, per the Constitution, immigration is a Federal matter.

Now, if TX wants to stand it's ground and tell the Feds to "Come and Take It," let's go. Time to get this **** overwith.

Hmm. Then I guess that makes all of those sanctuary city laws unconstitutional right? Wonder how many of those have been ruled as such by the courts...
barbacoa taco
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I mean, when it was passed everyone was looking around wondering how it'd pass Supremacy Clause muster in light of Arizona v US, etc.
they're hoping it gets back to SCOTUS and overturned
policywonk98
AG
Im Gipper said:

TA-OP said:

Not worth much!

That was a time where President deferred to senators choices for district courts.

Also, he appointed 400 of them basically 40 years ago at this point. Before the Federalist Society had cranked up a solid process of building and vetting a network of originalists that conservative policymakers could access. Whole reason they exist is because of Eisenhower and Nixon/Ford appointments and the lack of deep knowledge of appoitment candidates available for the Reagan administration.

Lot of people don't understand just how weak the conservative policy and judicial pipeline was prior to Reagan Revolution. The progressives already had a 70 year head start in taking over institutions like academia by 1980.

They continue to build on their now 110 year effort of their Marxist-lite take over of the U.S. slowly but surely taking down the last three institutions in their way, churches, nuclear families, and the Constitution itself.

CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Then I guess that makes all of those sanctuary city laws unconstitutional right? Wonder how many of those have been ruled as such by the courts...
Absolutely they are all unconstitutional, but therein lies a great example of either the complicity of the Republican party, or the weakness of the Republican party. They should have absolutely lawfared the hell out of all those cities and states into submission.

Democrats routinely flaunt law breaking and Republicans NEVER hold them accountable.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

In a 5-3 decision issued on June 25, 2012, the Supreme Court held that the first, second, and fourth provisions of SB 1070 were preempted by federal immigration law. The majority opinion was written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, who was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, and Sonia Sotomayor. Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas, and Samuel Alito each wrote separate dissenting opinions. Justice Elena Kagan recused herself from the case.

Arizona v. U.S.

LINK

Composition of the Court has changed.
TXAggie2011
AG
1836er said:

CDUB98 said:

Rapier108 said:

Hmm. Then I guess that makes all of those sanctuary city laws unconstitutional right? Wonder how many of those have been ruled as such by the courts...
Sanctuary cities fall under a different Constitutional posture. Under the 10th Amendment, the federal government cannot force a state (or sub-state governments such as cities) to enforce federal laws.

Therefore, a city is able to say "we're not going to cooperate/enforce federal laws."
schmellba99
AG
1872walker said:

Quote:

Ezra cited the Constitution's supremacy clause and U.S. Supreme Court decisions as factors that contributed to his ruling. He said the Texas law would conflict with federal immigration law, and the nation's foreign relations and treaty obligations.

When the federal government refuses to uphold federal law at the expense of a state and its citizens, then that state must take actions to protect its sovereignty.

Either enforce laws or get out of the way.
The judge didn't bother to read other parts of the Constitution, which isn't surprising.
DD88
AG
It's funny, I don't remember those leftists judges blocking States from restricting non-citizens from their state lines during COVID.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

Once again, a perfect meme!

You never disappoint good sir!

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
bigblock
Fackin' ignore it!!!!!
WT FOX
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Then I guess that makes all of those sanctuary city laws unconstitutional right? Wonder how many of those have been ruled as such by the courts...
Absolutely they are all unconstitutional, but therein lies a great example of either the complicity of the Republican party, or the weakness of the Republican party. They should have absolutely lawfared the hell out of all those cities and states into submission.

Democrats routinely flaunt law breaking and Republicans NEVER hold them accountable.

Look, everyone knows I am a conservative and extremely right on illegal immigration. I am in favor of utilizing deadly force to stop illegal border crossings.

But this is not an apples to apples comparison. The sanctuary city laws just prevent local and state law enforcement from assisting the feds in enforcing federal immigration laws. Essentially taking away the choke points where the feds normally grab criminal aliens, like jails, court, and probation/parole. If DHS wanted to deploy 100k ICE agents to round every illegal in NYC, there isn't dick the state or locals could do about it.

Texas is actually wanting to utilize state and local law enforcement to essentially enforce federal immigration law since the feds have largely abdicated that role during the Biden administration.

Unfortunately, the constitution is clear that the role of enforcing immigration laws is within the sole purview of the federal government.
outofstateaggie
AG
Yep, ignore it. It's ridiculous, but that's where we're at right now.
fightingfarmer09
Rapier108 said:

The Godfather of Amnesty.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
WT FOX said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Look, everyone knows I am a conservative and extremely right on illegal immigration. I am in favor of utilizing deadly force to stop illegal border crossings.

But this is not an apples to apples comparison. The sanctuary city laws just prevent local and state law enforcement from assisting the feds in enforcing federal immigration laws. Essentially taking away the choke points where the feds normally grab criminal aliens, like jails, court, and probation/parole. If DHS wanted to deploy 100k ICE agents to round every illegal in NYC, there isn't dick the state or locals could do about it.

Texas is actually wanting to utilize state and local law enforcement to essentially enforce federal immigration law since the feds have largely abdicated that role during the Biden administration.

Unfortunately, the constitution is clear that the role of enforcing immigration laws is within the sole purview of the federal government.

What do you do though when the federal government flat refuses to secure the border? We have never been in a situation like this before.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Until SCOTUS rules it isn't. Is that going to happen here? IDK.
Ags4DaWin
PaulsBunions said:

I like Reagan but a lot of his decisions are really aging like milk nowadays

This.

He tried to be a gentleman never fully realizing that he was in a knock down drag out no holds barred street fight.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.