Gangs of illegals in NYC snatching purses

6,066 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by deddog
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Actually, I did find the article I saw the other day. This is what it said. so it was pools in their homes and not homes but it definitely said the cars. But you all said I didn't see it. There it is.

Many of the migrants were already known to police over charges of petty larceny and shoplifting.

According to the New York Post, the migrants charged in the assault are also part of a phone-snatching scheme.

'They're buying cars back in Ecuador and Venezuela' a police source told the Post. 'They're putting pools in their homes there. All this money is going back and forth.
That's why the larcenies are going out of control. It's unbelievable what they're doing.'

[url] https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13047397/amp/video-migrant-dragging-woman-nyc-venezuelan-gang-thefts.html[/url]
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Tanya 93
annie88 said:

Actually, I did find the article I saw the other day. This is what it said. so it was pools in their homes and not homes but it definitely said the cars. But you all said I didn't see it. There it is.

Many of the migrants were already known to police over charges of petty larceny and shoplifting.

According to the New York Post, the migrants charged in the assault are also part of a phone-snatching scheme.

'They're buying cars back in Ecuador and Venezuela' a police source told the Post. 'They're putting pools in their homes there. All this money is going back and forth.
That's why the larcenies are going out of control. It's unbelievable what they're doing.'

[url] https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13047397/amp/video-migrant-dragging-woman-nyc-venezuelan-gang-thefts.html[/url]

With Apple Pay?

Or by selling the phone or some item bought on the phone before the card is locked down?

Think practically here. How are they going to buy a house in Venezuela using Apple Pay on a phone stolen an hour ago from a snatch and grab in NYC?

annie88
AG
Tanya, I've explained this several times already for ****s sake. I briefly saw an article the other day that was talking about them stealing iPhones, and then it mentioned about buying cars and pools for homes, apparently not homes, back in Venezuela and I guess Ecuador. that's all I picked up from it so I mentioned it and people freaked out.

I didn't scrutinize the article.

You guys are dissecting this, trying to not apologize for accusing me of lying by hyper-focusing on the Apple Pay part of it. Just read what the original article wrote. my original comment was in the spirit of what the article said. I barely read it.

You know what I don't really give a ***** I made a comment on an article that's real. Let it go.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
hph6203
AG
annie88 said:

BkYdPitmaster said:

annie88 said:

I've heard one of the reasons they're trying to steal a lot of phones is Apple Pay and other items on peoples phones. Apparently they're buying cars and homes with them.

We really need more concealed carry.
Wow. I bought my last 2 homes with Apple Pay. And my wife's new car is on its way, yep, used AP. It's so easy. Steal a phone, Visit a home builder or local realtor. Pick a house. Hold your phone up to the checkout modem.

I think it is not yet a thing you can do with Apple Pay, stolen phone or not.

Not buying them here buying them back in Venezuela but as you look at my other response, the original article I saw last week may have mixed up with these comments about the houses I posted in another post. I originally saw both things in one article, but just skimmed it. You need to read the whole thread. And I guess staff deleted my original post about this.

Detectives believe the suspects were snatching the phones to access the Apple Pay feature, and using credit cards linked to the phones to buy items.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/migrants-allegedly-snatched-phones-62-women-nyc-crime/story?id=106955254

https://247newsaroundtheworld.com/crime/shocking-video-shows-migrant-moped-riders-dragging-woman-along-nyc-street-as-they-steal-her-phone-as-cops-reveal-venezuelan-gang-is-behind-62-thefts/

Police officers being world renowned for their technological savvy and critical thinking skills. The fact that a detective believes something means it's unimpeachable.

Apple Pay requires a passcode. It cannot be set up without one. It requires that the passcode be input for any transaction to be authorized. An iPhone cannot both have Apple Pay set up and no passcode. If you remove the passcode the credit cards are removed from Apple Pay.

At best they're stealing phones when the phone is unlocked or the owner didn't have a passcode. Going to a website like Amazon and figuring out the billing address, then using that billing address to buy stuff with a credit card they stole at the same time and shipping the items somewhere they can pick them up without getting caught. If you try to change the shipping address on Amazon it will require a reauthorization of the credit card.

More likely none of that is happening and they're stealing phones to sell them to another unsuspecting victim that doesn't realize that it's stolen and that if reported Apple will mark as stolen and it won't be usable. That and using stolen physical credit cards and going on quick shopping sprees and then dumping them.
TexasAGGIEinAR
ttu_85 said:

TexasAGGIEinAR said:

Can someone send groups of these migrants to attempt the same things in North Memphis, 5th Ward in New Orleans, Sunny Side in Houston or Oak Cliff in Dallas? I need a good laugh and the country needs to see how to properly deal with such occurrences.
Are you suggesting these SPECIFIC places have targets that have the cred to buy a house or car?

Personally if I was a criminal I'd hit West Memphis. the Woodlands, Highland Park, Buckhead or a Friday night in time square when everyone is drunk or a dumb tourist.

Then no one ever said most criminals were very smart.
I'm suggesting these specific places are dangerous as hell and if the locals there had someone ride up on a scooter and attempt to steal their phones, they'd bury them and not break a sweat. Also, West Memphis has no nice areas...it's a sh*t hole. I once saw a woman with 6" nails steal money from the Ronald McDonald house box at the register in a McDonald's off of Missouri Street. Didn't care who saw. Of course we confronted her and got cops involved, but still, there is no nice part of West Memphis.
MD1993
AG
Is it in Brazil that it is illegal to run over these types of bandits with your car? NY should look at that. Go full on Thunder Dome.
NE PA Ag
CanyonAg77 said:

Aggie Apotheosis said:

Property crime considerably higher in College Station than in New York:

Comparing Crime NYC vs. College Station

My suspicion is that property crime in College Station actually gets reported, investigated, and convicted.

I see you skipped over the little item showing that the rate for violent crime (murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.) in NYC runs at

222% of the rate in College Station.

Nail, hammer. Many people in NYC are not bothering to report property crimes because not a thing happens, even if the perpetrator is caught.

Aggie Apotheosis, if this is not the same poster called Manhattan I'd be very surprised. As a former long time resident with many ties to NYC and periodic visits there, I can tell you the crime problem is real and it continues to get worse. I called out Manhattan many times over the misinformation posted on this forum about the state of NYC.

Finally, a word about Eric Adams. Yes, he is left wing and I don't agree with many of his stances, but he has been the only thing standing between a completely Communist city council going full bore and at least maintaining some semblance of sanity. That said, he has had vetoes overridden lately in the area of police and crime that are concerning.

For example, the city council passed a law that requires cops to write detailed reports on every single encounter they have, including reporting the race of the people involved. Adams vetoed this and was easily overidden. It will mean even less policing time for an already short handed and over stretched department.
deddog
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Aggie Apotheosis said:

Property crime considerably higher in College Station than in New York:

Comparing Crime NYC vs. College Station

My suspicion is that property crime in College Station actually gets reported, investigated, and convicted.

I see you skipped over the little item showing that the rate for violent crime (murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.) in NYC runs at

222% of the rate in College Station.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.