Signature block pronouns

8,957 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggiejayrod
MD1993
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I go by how I like my whiskey and cut of brisket.

(neat/lean)
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I work in a large company spanning many states. Only ones that do it are from California, and not the real technical people either.
tFast
AG
Progressives can use my pro-noun: sir

They better respect or they're intolerant and hateful .
Ibarra
It has become more popular and common recently. I more often see such pronouns in email signature. This applies not only to those who want to emphasize their identity but also to employees who use pronouns in their signatures to show support for transgender and non-binary colleagues. What do you think about this?
oldcrow91
AG
rgleml said:

Is it normal to include preferred pronouns in an email signature block? The sender's name is Martha and she said she is a "she/her". I was surprised. I thought it was a guy.

To my knowledge, I have never responded to anybody who had such a signature block.
Madman
AG
I am getting a lot of recruiters contacting me with it in their emails.

They always have garbage jobs unrelated to my experience.

Hey I saw your profile on LinkedIn and think you would be perfect for this low paying job that has nothing to do with your degree or past work history.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
I have 1 coworker who has an ambiguous foreign spelling for her name that has a pronoun that is reasonable to use.

Otherwise it is dumb
combat wombat™
AG
My son signed into a camp at Rice University. They gave him a name tag on a lanyard. Then they handed him a sheet of pronoun stickers. I guess some conversation occurred and the staff handed him a he/him sticker. He balled it up and tossed it in the garbage. They saw that he didn't have one and offered it to him again. He said he ended up balling up and tossing FIVE stickers before they left him alone.
backintexas2013
AG
Ibarra said:

It becomes more popular and more common recently

I like it. It allows me to know who to avoid.
BlueTaze
Pronouns in your sig is how you show you are NOT a homophonic anti-trans bigot, like all those who don't include pronouns in sig. At least that's the goal. Guilt by non-association.

#progressives
LitreBoy
AG
I didn't read all of these (just skimmed), but did see the Lord/Sir comment. Assuming this was in jest.

Story from one of my professional mentors at our last company:
Meeting with execs about adding line to their sigs. He said "He/Him/Lord/Master". He got asked to meet someone from HR outside the room.

He/Him was fine, but the HR rep questioned the Lord/Master.

His response was that he was a Master Drill Sergeant in the Marines as also owned property in Scotland which made him a Lord of whatever land he had there.

Needless to say, they allowed him to not have is pronouns in his sig.
lb3
AG
I have a co-worker that included favorite proteins in his signature status. He was close to retirement and nobody bothered him about it.

The worst are the ones who put she/her in their actual email names and not just signatures.
AggieVictor10
AG
I don't use them, but I've seen others use them and it doesn't bother me.
atmtws
AG
BlueTaze said:

Pronouns in your sig is how you show you are NOT a homophonic anti-trans bigot, like all those who don't include pronouns in sig. At least that's the goal. Guilt by non-association.

#progressives
Gay here and I dont use them. I'd love to use "Sir" like the poster above though. Just to troll....
IIIHorn
atmtws said:

BlueTaze said:

#progressives
Gay here and I dont use them. I'd love to use "Sir" like the poster above though. Just to troll....

If one is not pronoun, wouldn't it be difficult to communicate without nouns?

RippedLips
Yup. They should be put in an insane asylum.
BigRobSA
combat wombat said:

My son signed into a camp at Rice University. They gave him a name tag on a lanyard. Then they handed him a sheet of pronoun stickers. I guess some conversation occurred and the staff handed him a he/him sticker. He balled it up and tossed it in the garbage. They saw that he didn't have one and offered it to him again. He said he ended up balling up and tossing FIVE stickers before they left him alone.

#raised_right

Good job, CW!
BigRobSA
atmtws said:

BlueTaze said:

#progressives
You can. If they harass you, pull your gay card on their bigoted asses.

"My how the turn tables!" and such as.
aggiejayrod
AG
LitreBoy said:

I didn't read all of these (just skimmed), but did see the Lord/Sir comment. Assuming this was in jest.

Story from one of my professional mentors at our last company:
Meeting with execs about adding line to their sigs. He said "He/Him/Lord/Master". He got asked to meet someone from HR outside the room.

He/Him was fine, but the HR rep questioned the Lord/Master.

His response was that he was a Master Drill Sergeant in the Marines as also owned property in Scotland which made him a Lord of whatever land he had there.

Needless to say, they allowed him to not have is pronouns in his sig.

They think you're absurd for mocking their stupidity. You think they're absurd for being stupid. It's really like the skinny guy on the zoom chat for fat women. "I identify as an obese woman" "but you realize that you're a skinny man right?" They don't like when you play their game better than they do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.