COVID stupidness still alive and well

8,249 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by slaughtr
12thMan9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brother Shamus said:

Ag_07 said:

My wife can't keep her mouth shut.

This is where the rule of thumb would apply. Beat away.
I wasn't thinking thumb.....
Ronnie '88
Ag_07
AG
That's a whole nother side of this story.

I don't have a PCP so I was at a walk in clinic urgent care type place. Test said I was positive for COVID but symptoms didn't really match up and had lasted longer than COVID.

So he said he'd treat it like a bacterial infection with a z pack and cough suppressant but to be safe I should treat it like COVID and quarantine for 4-5 days and mask for another 2.

I nodded left and treated my bacterial infection like a bacterial infection and am 100% today and headed back to work tomorrow.

Again...COVID shenanigans are very much still alive and well.
Rocag
AG
If we're doing anecdotal stories I have one that goes the other way. My wife is a photographer and last weekend she was exposed to COVID because some of the people at the event had it and didn't tell anyone. Surprise, surprise, she caught it. Which has meant that this week she's been unable to go to the hospital to be with her dad who has cancer and isn't expected to have much time left. I don't blame people for being cautious.
Psych
AG
People who live their life in constant fear of getting COVID are stupid.

People who know they currently have COVID and still want people to come out to their house and go to parties and then get mad when those people take reasonable precautions around that person….yeah those people are stupid too.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
rocky the dog said:

this
TxAgPreacher
S
Quote:

"People who know they currently have COVID and still want people to come out to their house and go to parties and then get mad when those people take reasonable precautions around that person….yeah those people are stupid too."

Is everyone missing that it was the kids were uninvited? If they have no symptoms what's the problem?

Maybe I'm missing something, but If my buddy was sick and I knew it was covid, I'd let his asymptomatic kids come over. I don't care.

I don't think OP is being stupid. I hear ya bro.
Rex Racer
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Quote:

"People who know they currently have COVID and still want people to come out to their house and go to parties and then get mad when those people take reasonable precautions around that person….yeah those people are stupid too."

Is everyone missing that it was the kids were uninvited? If they have no symptoms what's the problem?

Maybe I'm missing something, but If my buddy was sick and I knew it was covid, I'd let his asymptomatic kids come over. I don't care.

I don't think OP is being stupid. I hear ya bro.
This I agree with. I have yet to see any evidence of asymptomatic spread, and it has never been something we worried about with any other respiratory disease. We need to get over treating COVID as if it is "special". It's not.
AggiePops
mosdefn14 said:

Do antibiotics work on virus?
No.
petebaker
Ag_07 said:

I had typical cold symptoms a little over a week ago and no big deal. Just this past Thurs it got bad enough I went to the nearby urgent care to get Rx meds to knock it out.

Tested positive got a z pack and cough syrup and sent on my way. Whatever. I got what I needed and I'm alive and well here on Sunday.

Well since everyone found out I had the big C my kids were uninvited from a birthday party this weekend for fear of infecting anyone and relatives who stopped by today wanted to hang out outside but it's too cold so they're wearing masks in the living room.

I just don't get it. Literally...My brain can not seriously process this ridiculousness.
Fauci eats a booger

thenational
AG
I tell them to stay safe!
Traces of Texas
No message

“I must say as to what I have seen of Texas, it is the garden spot of the world. The best land & best prospects for health I ever saw is here, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here.” —– David Crockett
BobCatDave
AG
B-1 83 said:

Ag_07 said:

I had typical cold symptoms a little over a week ago and no big deal. Just this past Thurs it got bad enough I went to the nearby urgent care to get Rx meds to knock it out.

Tested positive got a z pack and cough syrup and sent on my way. Whatever. I got what I needed and I'm alive and well here on Sunday.

Well since everyone found out I had the big C my kids were uninvited from a birthday party this weekend for fear of infecting anyone and relatives who stopped by today wanted to hang out outside but it's too cold so they're wearing masks in the living room.

I just don't get it. Literally...My brain can not seriously process this ridiculousness.
Why did they give you a Z Pack??? I'm more concerned with this.
Secondary infection? My best guess. Z pack has no effect on a virus.
"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else." - Winston Churchill
Prexys Moon
AG
Rocag said:

If we're doing anecdotal stories I have one that goes the other way. My wife is a photographer and last weekend she was exposed to COVID because some of the people at the event had it and didn't tell anyone. Surprise, surprise, she caught it. Which has meant that this week she's been unable to go to the hospital to be with her dad who has cancer and isn't expected to have much time left. I don't blame people for being cautious.
why did she get tested?

Who at the hospital told her she shouldn't come?

Gigem314
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

When I see people in public places wearing a mask, I intentionally start coughing around them. I know that's kind of twisted, but whatever.
Prexys Moon
AG
Ag_07 said:

dont let them test you. easy.

my HS daughter had cold symptoms and fever and we went to dr. Tested neg for strep. well we need to test for covid. nope. We refused to be tested for covid. Doesn't matter. Rest and a couple days in bed. Nurse said well if you don't test for covid we can't give you a note for school. Bull***** We are at the doctor and we need a note for school. Answer- ok but we're not supposed to. what kiind of crap is that?

the medical profession has lost all credibility with the covid nonsense.
ME92
AG
Prexys Moon said:

Ag_07 said:

dont let them test you. easy.

my HS daughter had cold symptoms and fever and we went to dr. Tested neg for strep. well we need to test for covid. nope. We refused to be tested for covid. Doesn't matter. Rest and a couple days in bed. Nurse said well if you don't test for covid we can't give you a note for school. Bull***** We are at the doctor and we need a note for school. Answer- ok but we're not supposed to. what kiind of crap is that?

I wonder if they would give her a note if she had tested positive for strep or is covid the only illness that qualifies a student to miss school.
94chem
Ag_07 said:

Why were you given an antibiotic for a viral infection?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
GeorgiAg
AG
Covid, Flu, RSV

I don't want any of 'em. Stay home.
malenurse
AG
Quote:

I work in the profession and you are partially correct.

Hospital administration and the system of primary care doctors have lost all credibility.

As usual, the emergency side of medicine is bearing the brunt of their mismanagement.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
B-1 83
AG
BobCatDave said:

B-1 83 said:

Ag_07 said:

Why did they give you a Z Pack??? I'm more concerned with this.
Secondary infection? My best guess. Z pack has no effect on a virus.
I understand that. Prophylactic antibiotics always make me raise one eyebrow, but perhaps the doc was chasing something he thought may be developing.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Rocag
AG
Prexys Moon said:

Rocag said:

why did she get tested?

Because she was symptomatic and didn't want to expose an elderly person with cancer to COVID? Why is this confusing?
jrdaustin
AG
Rocag said:

Prexys Moon said:

Rocag said:

why did she get tested?

Because she was symptomatic and didn't want to expose an elderly person with cancer to COVID? Why is this confusing?
Probably because per your story, it's not expected he has much time left. Now, that could be months, or days. If he's in the hosital with only days left.... Well, as a noted person once said, "What difference, at this point, does it make?"
BluHorseShu
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ridiculousness in this world abounds. But glad you journaled it.
Rocag
AG
I don't know that most people would look at it that way. Up to the very end people still hope things take a turn for the better, even when it isn't very likely.

I'd also hope that anyone who is sick and contagious would be courteous enough to avoid guest trips to the hospital full of people with already weakened immune systems.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Rocag said:

I don't know that most people would look at it that way. Up to the very end people still hope things take a turn for the better, even when it isn't very likely.

I'd also hope that anyone who is sick and contagious would be courteous enough to avoid guest trips to the hospital full of people with already weakened immune systems.

I'm not trying to lecture you, but I can't imagine letting COVID stop me from seeing a loved one in their last moments. I would regret that for the rest of my life. I hope she is able to make some accommodations to see him, even if it means wearing a radiation suit. Sorry for the hardships you are going through.
malenurse
AG
Rocag said:

This is not the world that we live in
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Beerosch
AG
If you're taking Covid tests still, then you are promoting the same stupidness that you're complaining about. There is nothing good that can come from you taking a Covid test. Congrats for promoting the stupidness.
slaughtr
AG
Beerosch said:

If you're taking Covid tests still, then you are promoting the same stupidness that you're complaining about. There is nothing good that can come from you taking a Covid test. Congrats for promoting the stupidness.

Most Covid tests now are bundled with a respiratory panel that also includes flu and RSV. If you go to an urgent care with a respiratory illness like the OP, you are getting a Covid test. As well as tests for other things. Why would you be opposed to knowing what's causing your respiratory illness so your doctor knows how to treat it?
Tailgate88
AG
slaughtr said:

Beerosch said:

Most Covid tests now are bundled with a respiratory panel that also includes flu and RSV. If you go to an urgent care with a respiratory illness like the OP, you are getting a Covid test. As well as tests for other things. Why would you be opposed to knowing what's causing your respiratory illness so your doctor knows how to treat it?

This. Thought I might be getting the flu before Christmas so went to Urgent Care hoping for Tamiflu. One swab of the nose and they told me no flu or RSV but you have Covid. First time I had come down with it. Got cough pills and syrup and told to take Ibuprofin. Two days later I felt fine. Very mild. I would never have even gone in for suspected Covid. It's like a cold at this point.
agracer
AG
slaughtr said:

Beerosch said:

I don't remember having a swab shoved up my nose for flu. Did that change?

also,
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/testing.htm
Quote:

Is there a test that can detect both flu and COVID-19?
Yes. There is a test that will check for seasonal flu type A and B viruses and SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. This test is being used by U.S. public health laboratories for surveillance purposes. Testing for these viruses at the same time will give public health officials important information about how flu and COVID-19 are spreading and what prevention steps should be taken. The test will also help public health laboratories save time and testing materials, and possibly to return test results faster.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given CDC an Emergency Use Authorization for this new test. Initial test kits were sent to public health laboratories in early August 2020. CDC will continue to manufacture and distribute these kits.
So nothing related to covid is a sure thing. It's all experimental (vax, tests, treatment, lab leaks, etc.)
DannyDuberstein
AG
Flu tests were nasal swabs. I recall having one more than a decade ago. And during peak covid, the doc-in-a-box by us was doing the combo flu/covid swab in the parking lot
Beerosch
AG
slaughtr said:

Beerosch said:

The OP said, "I had typical cold symptoms a little over a week ago and no big deal." If it's "no big deal" then why would any test be needed? Covid tests were so overblown for so long, and many companies were mandating you had to be out of the office for so many days burning vacation time if you tested positive. Doctors also largely did nothing to treat Covid, and treatments that would've actually helped were ignored (not sure now because it's largely "no big deal"). The stigma of a positive Covid test outweighs any benefit of getting it.
Ag_07
AG
slaughtr said:

Beerosch said:

Yep

Upon checking in I told them I did not want a COVID test and was told it's part of their panel. I said OK whatever thinking surely no one cares that much about COVID anymore.

And before in chimes in no I wasn't gonna leave and go drive around and find a place to treat me without a COVID test. I felt like crap and I just wanted Rx meds to get me feeling better.
slaughtr
AG
Beerosch said:

slaughtr said:

Beerosch said:

The OP said, "I had typical cold symptoms a little over a week ago and no big deal." If it's "no big deal" then why would any test be needed? Covid tests were so overblown for so long, and many companies were mandating you had to be out of the office for so many days burning vacation time if you tested positive. Doctors also largely did nothing to treat Covid, and treatments that would've actually helped were ignored (not sure now because it's largely "no big deal"). The stigma of a positive Covid test outweighs any benefit of getting it.
Because he went to an urgent care clinic.

I've personally never felt the need to go to urgent care, but if you do, they are going to treat it as urgent, no? Maybe you should ask the OP
slaughtr
AG
Ag_07 said:

slaughtr said:

Beerosch said:

Yep

Upon checking in I told them I did not want a COVID test and was told it's part of their panel. I said OK whatever thinking surely no one cares that much about COVID anymore.

And before in chimes in no I wasn't gonna leave and go drive around and find a place to treat me without a COVID test. I felt like crap and I just wanted Rx meds to get me feeling better.
It's one swab, 4 tests on the same machine. They can't not do the Covid test. Again, why would it be an issue knowing the cause? I don't understand how it's a political question to determine if you have Covid versus the flu.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.