Israel/Hamas going at it

1,664,552 Views | 9812 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by AlaskanAg99
StoneCold99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something has to be done about this app..

I can't scroll 2 pages without getting shot up or down 50+ posts.

It's gotta get fixed
Infection_Ag11
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

This is their Pearl Harbor. We dropped two atomic bombs on population centers.

I don't think they are thinking months/years. They are thinking never again.

Sure, I'm just saying I don't have quite as much respect for the stability of Hamas as some seem to. Their own citizens will throw them out if their lives get too miserable. And they certainly have no ability to meaningfully resist the Israeli military, which would win a direct conflict with literally any other nation in the Middle East strictly on the basis of air superiority alone.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HowdyTAMU
AG
Using hospitals is as old as terrorism itself. Hamas regularly hides weapons there…and under mosques.
Nitro Power
AG
Their people put them in power, they are too ignorant to throw them out now or they would have.
FriscoKid
AG
JimboFFisher said:

will25u said:

Way too many buildings still standing and pieces of crap walking around. More work to be done.

FAFO

Israel didn't start this.
fullback44
AG
StoneCold99 said:

Something has to be done about this app..

I can't scroll 2 pages without getting shot up or down 50+ posts.

It's gotta get fixed
I'm having issues as well, I have to keep refreshing every time I go forward a page
Nitro Power
AG
But they will finish it
BBRex
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Quote:

Since WWII nations that want to be with the big boys have, by and large, attempted to look "civilized" in the wars they waged. It isn't working. Asymmetrical warfare combined with concern for civilian casualties puts those "civilized" nations at a disadvantage. The U.S. in Vietnam and Afghanistan; the Soviet Union in Afghanistan; the French in Vietnam and Algeria; and so on.

One, you need to define what you mean by "hasn't worked". 1945 - present is the most peaceful period in all of human history without any competition for that title, and in particular since the end of the Cold War.

Two, you need to go look at the casualty rates for the wars you listed. The "civilized" nations didn't lose in any sense other than getting tired of the time and resources required to keep fighting. Americans SLAUGHTERED the North Vietnamese in almost comical ratios. The kill to loss ratio was around 17:1.

To your first point, we got that stability from winning total war, not from the asymmetrical wars that followed.

To your second point, war isn't about kill ratios and slaughter, so those numbers don't matter. The question is did you achieve the goal that you set out to accomplish, whether it is national survival or some other geopolitical goal. If the answer is "no," how many you killed or how lopsided the kill ratio was doesn't matter.
YouBet
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Sure, I'm just saying I don't have quite as much respect for the stability of Hamas as some seem to. Their own citizens will throw them out if their lives get too miserable. And they certainly have no ability to meaningfully resist the Israeli military, which would win a direct conflict with literally any other nation in the Middle East strictly on the basis of air superiority alone.
Maybe living in the stone age after Israel bombs them back to it will finally be that trigger. We can hope.
Infection_Ag11
AG
BBRex said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Nitro Power said:

I'm not sure how you can possibly compare what Israel is going to what Hamas did, regardless of the casualties.

Further, they warned people of Gaza to leave within 72 hrs. They gave fair warning, so no they are not close to the line between doing what is necessary and becoming the terrorist.

I'm not comparing tactics at all, but at the end of the day there is an emotional/moral cost once you commit to blowing up hospitals and schools causalities be damned. That takes a toll on those doing it and the society behind them. You just better be sure that's what is necessary and that you're prepared to accept that cost.

To help end World War II, the Allies firebombed Dresden and Tokyo. The British bombed German targets at night to minimize their own casualties. When the stakes are high, you do what you must. At the same time, I don't expect to see Israel bomb schools and hospitals unless Hamas puts targets of military value there. Hamas just showed they don't have those sorts of moral concerns.

And to this day we still debate the necessity/mortality of those decisions, and thousands of men went to their graves with the moral scars of having to carry them out. The Dresden fire bombing especially is nearly universally acknowledged today by military personnel and historians as being completely unnecessary and having no meaningful impact on the war whatsoever.

Again, sometimes it's necessary. Just be sure it is when you do so.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nitro Power
AG
When Israel is done, there won't be anyone to throw out.
Infection_Ag11
AG
YouBet said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Maybe living in the stone age after Israel bombs them back to it will finally be that trigger. We can hope.

Honestly they could just shut off the supply of power and water they provide for a few weeks and that will probably do the trick.

Most people don't realize that virtually all electricity and something like 80% of Palestine's water is controlled directly by and at the mercy of Israel. They could literally flip a switch today and send them back to a Stone Age society without doing anything else.
4the_Record
Quote:

I agree but let's call it like it is. Telling them to leave is bs

I realize I'm missing something basic but why can't they head south? Egypt owns and controls the southern border. It's a humanitarian crisis. Egypt supports the Palestinians. Why don't they open the border with Gaza, like Biden did our southern border, and let them stream across?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So glad it isn't only me!
samurai_science
4the_Record said:

Quote:

I realize I'm missing something basic but why can't they head south? Egypt owns and controls the southern border. It's a humanitarian crisis. Egypt supports the Palestinians. Why don't they open the border with Gaza, like Biden did our southern border, and let them stream across?
They dont want them? They are just a political pawn
GAC06
AG
Egypt doesn't want them. None of the surrounding Arab countries do. They don't want two million destabilizing terrorists and they'd rather have them as a thorn in Israel's side
4the_Record
Quote:

Yet this is all on the Israelis?
HowdyTAMU
AG
Nitro Power said:

When Israel is done, there won't be anyone to throw out.

There will be an Israel when Jesus comes again. Post WWII. we've generally assumed their existence would be contiguous…but who knows.
Aggie369
AG
They did that...
Nitro Power
AG
*When Israel is done leveling Gaza
samurai_science
4the_Record said:

Quote:

Israel should just wipe them out, violence and strength is the only thing that will solve the conflict.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Quote:

we got that stability from winning total war

The stability came from America patrolling the global oceans to allow free and safe trade in exchange for international support against the Soviet Union. That's the story of the last 80 years. Our Navy made the world rich and more rich people means fewer people wanting to fight. That's asymmetric warfare of the 4D chess variety.

Quote:

To your second point, war isn't about kill ratios and slaughter, so those numbers don't matter. The question is did you achieve the goal that you set out to accomplish, whether it is national survival or some other geopolitical goal. If the answer is "no," how many you killed or how lopsided the kill ratio was doesn't matter.

There was no goal in Vietnam apart from "communism bad". America literally never adopted a formal end goal at any level of the government or military. We killed them and antagonized the Russians until Americans got too tired of it for it to be politically feasible to continue doing so.
YouBet
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

YouBet said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Honestly they could just shut off the supply of power and water they provide for a few weeks and that will probably do the trick.

Most people don't realize that virtually all electricity and something like 80% of Palestine's water is controlled directly by and at the mercy of Israel. They could literally flip a switch today and send them back to a Stone Age society without doing anything else.
They've already done that. But I'm not sure how you just do that while your enemy is still attacking you and has proclaimed they are going to escalate.
HowdyTAMU
AG
Gotcha
agent-maroon
AG
4the_Record said:

Quote:

Because hamas was trying to screw around the Egyptians so they wisely closed the border. You may be able to see a pattern forming with regard to hamas and their neighbor's reactions. Actions have consequences
cmk10
AG
Thanks for all of the updates over the last couple of days.
SHELTON@TAYLOR
ABATTBQ11 said:

fullback44 said:

You could have this right … Hamas got in a street brawl with someone much bigger than them.. not sure anyone besides Iran wants to be connected to what just went down

This was strictly strategically ****ing stupid and driven purely by their hatred for Israel. This was isis level monstrosity, and the civilized world isn't going to care what happens from here. When you murder 1000 people and celebrate in the street while murdering even more hostages and broadcasting it to the world, most of the world is going to be ok with you being put down like an animal.
You drastically underestimate woke society and social media propoganda
Infection_Ag11
AG
YouBet said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

YouBet said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

They've already done that. But I'm not sure how you just do that while your enemy is still attacking you and has proclaimed they are going to escalate.

I'm obviously not claiming they just do that, I'm saying that by doing that they've already set the wheels in motion. Apart from anything else, limited access to resources quickly takes the resolve of an uncommitted populace when they know a better alternative is available to them. And a large percentage of their society only loosely supports Hamas at most. Many downright hate them.
mike0305
I'm more conflicted about supporting Israel than I am of Ukraine actually, surprising since I don't feel any ill towards Jewish and the ones I know are fantastic.

Bibi is a real **** & is trying his best to become a dictator. They don't treat christians well there. The oppression of Palestinians turns the stomach, even in the west bank where leadership has pushed for peace. Maybe this is inevitable given their situation, hard to judge.

I still support them cleaning house there, and Hamas needs to be wiped off the earth for what they did.

Still, zero chance of peace, it's depressing.

BBRex
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

BBRex said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Nitro Power said:

I'm not sure how you can possibly compare what Israel is going to what Hamas did, regardless of the casualties.

Further, they warned people of Gaza to leave within 72 hrs. They gave fair warning, so no they are not close to the line between doing what is necessary and becoming the terrorist.

I'm not comparing tactics at all, but at the end of the day there is an emotional/moral cost once you commit to blowing up hospitals and schools causalities be damned. That takes a toll on those doing it and the society behind them. You just better be sure that's what is necessary and that you're prepared to accept that cost.

To help end World War II, the Allies firebombed Dresden and Tokyo. The British bombed German targets at night to minimize their own casualties. When the stakes are high, you do what you must. At the same time, I don't expect to see Israel bomb schools and hospitals unless Hamas puts targets of military value there. Hamas just showed they don't have those sorts of moral concerns.

And to this day we still debate the necessity/mortality of those decisions, and thousands of men went to their graves with the moral scars of having to carry them out. The Dresden fire bombing especially is nearly universally acknowledged today by military personnel and historians as being completely unnecessary and having no meaningful impact on the war whatsoever.

Again, sometimes it's necessary. Just be sure it is when you do so.

Why didn't it work? It seems that part of the plan was to get the populace to rebel against their leaders. You seem to think that turning off the water and stopping food will have the same outcome. But what if that's a miscalculation, too? Is starving people to death more humane than bombs and guns? If you don't intend to take it that far, then you won't get the pressure you need for the people to turn on their leaders.
Infection_Ag11
AG
4the_Record said:

Quote:

The Egyptians historically have supported Palestine, but they pretty publicly told Hamas to get ****ed when their shenanigans started spilling over into Egypt.
Win At Life
AG
samurai_science said:

4the_Record said:

Quote:

Gaza was Egyptians before Israel captured it in the 6 day war and since then Egypt has abandoned them and declared them Palestinians.

The West Bank were Jordanians until isreal captured it in the 6 day war and since has abandoned them and declared them Palestinians.

Muslim countries cut off their own people and are sacrificing them just to annoy Israel.
Legal Custodian
AG
Disagree wholeheartedly with your statement regarding Israel's treatment of Christians and the West Bank. It sounds like you might be a tad bit biased
FriscoKid
AG
YouBet said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

I had the pleasure of going to a conference with a real scholar of the history of Islam a couple years ago. It's always been a military band of misfits. The Abraham offspring was born out of thin air to get Jewish tribes to join their army.

The crusades of the Catholic Church probably started when the idiots got brazen enough to circumcise adult males in the 1500's and perform "baptisms" with the blood of their fathers on infants they had taken from their parents (after they killed them)

The Muslim army was on the doorsteps of Germany in the early 1500's when they started mocking Christians with the blood "baptisms" and then Europe decided to fight back.

500 years later Islam is still using the same tactics. It's not a "religion". It's a war movement and the believers have no idea of their history or their "god". There is evil in this world and I support destroying it.
one safe place
samurai_science said:

4the_Record said:

Quote:

Israel should just wipe them out, violence and strength is the only thing that will solve the conflict.
If Israel doesn't, they will do what they just did at some point in the future. They are a cult and subhuman. To let any of them live would be an atrocity. Kidnapping, raping, beheading is not human. Kill them all.
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.