Israel/Hamas going at it

1,671,398 Views | 9829 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Funky Winkerbean
richardag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
annie88 said:

Disgusting.

Hey London, the terrorists are the ones shouting.

Every protestor in that group that is not a citizen should have been detained, processed and deported.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
aggiehawg
AG

Iran is a client state of Russia. What Putin says goes. They got the message, you are on your own, Iran.

The other client states are likely being told the same thing.
richardag
aggiehawg said:

Iran is a client state of Russia. What Putin says goes. They got the message, you are on your own, Iran.

And likely want the $6 billion held in Qatar.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
JobSecurity
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Makes sense. They will kettle them in the south of Gaza.
BlackGold
AG
Not a Bot said:

He is telling the truth. Lebanon is a hell of a complicated place. The majority of the people do not support Hezbollah and are Sunni or Christian. Hezbollah was allowed to get that powerful because Iran convinced the local Shia population that the Sunnis and Christians were keeping them poor on purpose and manipulated them into joining their cause. Their militia element was supposed to disband and never did, and the Lebanese government in general is not strong enough to reign them in.

Lebanon's shared power structure is supposed to provide equal power among Christians, Sunnis, and Shias but Hezbollah has gained outsized power. Hezbollah is a political party within Lebanon as well as the militia.

The Christian President (the President always has to be a Christian in Lebanon) has traded away a lot of his power to Hezbollah in exchange for money and security of the Christian population. Hezbollah runs Lebanon like the cartels.

Understood, but it shouldn't necessarily give Lebanon a pass to allow hezbollah to operate a war out of their country with Israel. And for the record, I sincerely hope iran doesn't draw in more of these countries to be used as fodder.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

And for the record, I sincerely hope iran doesn't draw in more of these countries to be used as fodder.
I don't know how many proxies Iran has now. But assuming it is a lot, if Iran chooses to send them into a bloodbath, after Iran proper is backing off because the Russians are telling them they are on their own?

Sounds about right.
Sharpshooter
AG
Awfully dark and quiet in Gaza tonight.
LMCane
LMCane
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Not a Bot said:

Lebanon allocates their seats and offices to groups. By law the Muslims and Christians each have 50% of the legislative seats. Hezbollah with their alliance from other parties has something like 25 seats out of the 128. They don't even get all of the designated 27 Shi'ite votes.

Their political power is derived from the bullying by their strong militia with backing from Iran.

They have less than 25% of support from the overall population.

Try 58.
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/5/17/pro-hezbollah-bloc-loses-lebanese-parliamentary-majority

Regardless, they aren't some paramilitary rebels hiding in the jungle of South America. They are mainstream for Lebanon.
JobSecurity
AG

what other alternative does he see happening here
Who?mikejones!
Thats the girl that was seen on the moped, right?
JobSecurity
AG
aezmvp
There isn't one currently. Egypt failed after the 2005ish withdrawl to stymie Hamas and MB. The PA was humiliated by Hamas after the election and won't be able to govern it. Letting the Qataris manage it would be almost as bad as the Iranians and the Jordanians and Saudis won't.

So your choices are raise it to the ground and occupy it requiring 50,000-100,000 permanent troops in a space the size of DC, incredibly densely populated with near total hostility. Or something worse.
duck79
AG
No that was a different girl.
Sharpshooter
AG
LMCane said:

Beautiful Human. And, if there is an issue with me saying this please let me know.
samurai_science
aezmvp said:

There isn't one currently. Egypt failed after the 2005ish withdrawl to stymie Hamas and MB. The PA was humiliated by Hamas after the election and won't be able to govern it. Letting the Qataris manage it would be almost as bad as the Iranians and the Jordanians and Saudis won't.

So your choices are raise it to the ground and occupy it requiring 50,000-100,000 permanent troops in a space the size of DC, incredibly densely populated with near total hostility. Or something worse.
Depending on your point of view, its something better, because the problem goes away for ever.
Ags4DaWin
JobSecurity said:

How many munitions get smuggled under the guise of humanitarian aid?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

JobSecurity said:

Won't matter because the Israelis are gonna bomb the **** out of them. They've been warned.
DCPD158
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Ags4DaWin said:

JobSecurity said:

Won't matter because the Israelis are gonna bomb the **** out of them. They've been warned.

Israel will allow it because it draws the Gaza citizens farther south from Gaza City. The more peron heading south, the easier the ground war will be.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
CDUB98
AG
Not a Bot said:

He is telling the truth. Lebanon is a hell of a complicated place. The majority of the people do not support Hezbollah and are Sunni or Christian. Hezbollah was allowed to get that powerful because Iran convinced the local Shia population that the Sunnis and Christians were keeping them poor on purpose and manipulated them into joining their cause. Their militia element was supposed to disband and never did, and the Lebanese government in general is not strong enough to reign them in.

Lebanon's shared power structure is supposed to provide equal power among Christians, Sunnis, and Shias but Hezbollah has gained outsized power. Hezbollah is a political party within Lebanon as well as the militia.

The Christian President (the President always has to be a Christian in Lebanon) has traded away a lot of his power to Hezbollah in exchange for money and security of the Christian population. Hezbollah runs Lebanon like the cartels.

Don't know why my earlier perspective post about Lebanese coworkers was deleted, but the above is very much in line with what the field engineer would tell me. Hezbollah has flat out wrecked Lebanon.
CDUB98
AG
aggiehawg said:

This is an interesting development, and while you can never let your guard down with Iran, if this turns out to be true, it's a game changer.
XXXVII
LMCane said:

Gaza just needs to be turned into glass.
DeSantis 2024

FJB, FJB, FJB, etc
JobSecurity
AG
CDUB98
AG
Dear lord, I love me some A10.
Not a Bot
AG
They were aligned with one of the the Christian blocs. Hezbollah itself only has something like 22 seats. The March 8th Alliance which is basically a bunch of groups including Hezbollah that firmly believe in the destruction of Israel holds 25 seats.

The Christian bloc that was aligned with Hezbollah actually lost seats and now Hezbollah is not technically able to form a majority government in parliament, but they still wield control due to their militia.

I'm looking at the 2022 election, not sure if they had one this year.
txags92
AG
CDUB98 said:

aggiehawg said:

This is an interesting development, and while you can never let your guard down with Iran, if this turns out to be true, it's a game changer.
I don't think this is anything new from Iran. They have their proxies that have the full support of the IRGC to do their bidding. Their actual armed forces won't do anything overt unless they are directly attacked. They are saying this for UN consumption, but they will direct their proxies to act when it is most advantageous for Iran and will cause the most trouble for Israel.
Not a Bot
AG
Correct.

Disagree with prior poster about them being a vassal state of Russia. Their goal is to be the dominant player in the ME and they aligned with whomever would deal with them. They aren't friends and really don't gave much strategic to offer each other except cooperation in annoying the US. Iran isn't taking orders from them.
FIDO95
AG

Willy with a great interview of a police officer giving his personal account of the attack. He discovered in the chaos that Hamas terrorists had both his parents' hostage and how the event went down.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aezmvp
No matter how bad the Air Force wants to be rid of the A-10 they just can't quit them. It's amazing the legacy of the Thunderbolt and the Thunderbolt II are. 2 of my favorite airframes of all time and just bad ass ground support planes. The original was a pretty good fighter in certain roles. Pretty sure one of the top aces in WWII was flying a P-47.
Not a Bot
AG
https://www.youtube.com/live/fVYCEma6qx0
Feed from Reuters. Other site down.
SHELTON@TAYLOR
CDUB98 said:

Dear lord, I love me some A10.
Some people have planes with guns on them. This is a gun with a plane on it.
Psycho Bunny

Donghorn
Israel is a fortress. How did it take 6 to 9 hours for an Israeli defense response?

I don’t start threads, I end them…
First Page Last Page
Page 142 of 281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.