Debating if I should go full Karen on my son's school administration

10,060 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by TRADUCTOR
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If what he told me is true.

His HS has had a coding club for years.
He was going to join it after looking thru what clubs the school has.

It has been renamed "Girls Who Code" and while they technically are open to anyone who wants to join, boys have been told "no. This is a space for girls who want to study STEM."

There is no other coding club.

Boo Faced Demon Spawn doesn't want me to do or say anything because he says he already knows more than anyone in the club.

I told him he may, but what about other boys who aren't as lucky as he is?

I have emailed the sponsor of Girls Who Code to see if this is all true. If it is true, just no.

My son deserves his other nerd club. He couldn't have a Boys Who Code club.

Sexism is always wrong.
Old Buffalo
AG
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
AggieDruggist89
AG
Have him start a new club. Boys who code and don't let girls in.
TxTarpon

Quote:

It has been renamed "Girls Who Code" and while they technically are open to anyone who wants to join, boys have been told "no. This is a space for girls who want to study STEM."
STEM = Code?
Sounds really odd.
Quote:

Start one.
Call it a "Chess Coding Club" and code apps to rate girls in schools.
Oh wait, that already was created, called Facebook.

Let this be a lesson in, "Yall suck, I can do better and do it."
rbs03Ag
AG
If he's as good as you say, have him hack the group account and change it to Girls Can't Code.
Owlagdad
AggieDruggist89 said:

that would be a dog whistle for girls to fall all over each other wanting to get in.
BurnetAggie99
Have a conversation with the superintendent. Pending how that goes or not worst case you can always file a complaint with TEC on the school, the teacher leading the club & superintendent.
planoaggie123
AG
pretty simple....start his own group....would be good experience and likely have him build confidence etc...

I would be tempted to call it "Boys Who Code" (you said he cannot, by why not if the girls do?); however, obviously the answer is to be better than than....come up with a clever name or "anyone can code" or something like that....
AggieDruggist89
AG
Owlagdad said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

that would be a dog whistle for girls to fall all over each other wanting to get in.
No means No brah..

two can play this game.
bmc13
AG
have him make a new AI usage club.
BCG Disciple
AG
Time to teach him now. Liberals are at war with the white male. Tell him to keep his head up, keep working hard, take nothing for granted, don't fall into the trap of accepting the victim hood mentality for everyone else, and NEVER get guilted into thinking he should have any semblance of white guilt. Fight these SOBs for every inch.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Pimps Who Code
Smittyfubar
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Especially girls with peters. .
Burrus86
AG
OP is not going "full Karen" on them. She's going full Tanya on them….amiright?
gtaggie_08
AG
I would name it "Actual coders" or "non-diversity coder club"
Burdizzo
AG
Tanya 93 said:

If what he told me is true.

His HS has had a coding club for years.
He was going to join it after looking thru what clubs the school has.

Boo Faced Demon Spawn doesn't want me to do or say anything because he says he already knows more than anyone in the club.

I told him he may, but what about other boys who aren't as lucky as he is?

I have emailed the sponsor of Girls Who Code to see if this is all true. If it is true, just no.

Sexism is always wrong.

Insurance companies get away with it legally.
Viper16
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

This is the way.....
#FJB

Trump 2024

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis
Sully
AG
Hemen No Women Coders Club
TexAgs91
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Sexism is always wrong.
Good luck. You should ask them if they want to continue the practice of discriminating based on gender, or if they want to show that coding should be open to any gender.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
aggie93
AG
I hope you do Tanya. Men are going to have a very hard time fighting this but coming from a Mom is a very different thing.

The simple reality is that men are more interested in Engineering and coding on a scale of about 75/25. Take out the Asian females and it is really small. The exceptions are some types of Biomedical for a Pre Med Track or Design heavy around UI. If you are talking about most Engineering and coding though it just isn't something most girls are interested in no matter how many clubs or how much encouragement you give them, if anything some do it because they feel like they are being pressured to do so. Always exceptions of course but they are exceptions.

At the same time we are basically doing all we can to discourage boys and make the bar as high as possible for them. It starts with clubs like this but I can also see things like Robotics where they insist on having a boy and a girl as leads even though the team is 70% male. Often they give roles to lesser qualified girls to "encourage" them over boys that put in more hours and show more interest.

Then applying to colleges and programs the pattern continues. LOTS of extra scholarships for girls too that aren't available for boys. Continues on into the job market.

The really crazy thing is women make up around 60% of college students now and they are trying to make that number HIGHER. Still even with that women still aren't majoring in the "right things". The only STEM field that is very slightly female leaning is Biology and Health Care oriented majors. The more heavy the engineering and math the fewer women. Not a lot of girls dream of doing BIOS programming.

The really stupid thing is no one seems to even ask "Why are we doing this?" other than some vague equity/diversity tripe. In the end people should focus on what they enjoy and are talented in and have the opportunity to be as good as they can. There is no inherent value in sex or race.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
rynning
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

To maximize learning, I'd suggest holding regular coding competitions between the two clubs as well.
BadMoonRisin
AG
That's really doing your kid a disservice.

I would say its probably easier for him to learn coding from an online bootcamp or something similar, but from may days at A&M taking C++ from Bjorne Stroustroup himself, surrounding yourself with other people learning to code and being able to bounce ideas on how to tackle problems and objectives makes up a large percentage of the benefit of the course, especially if he plans to major in computer science and do it for a living.

We had group projects that required weekly whiteboard sessions in the Bum Bright building where we had to communicate with what others were doing so we knew that the puzzle pieces would fit. Stuff like that is great experience for taking the skill to industry.

It's sad that the creators of this "Girls" club would rather use this as a social justice/equity/thumb your nose at stinkyboiz "nana nana boo boo" project instead of bring like minded kids together, regardless of gender, to solve problems -- which was the true meaning of equality, until they made it "equity" just a few years ago.

You should bring this up to the powers that be, although if they did this in the first place, they will likely come up with some buzzword-filled word salad that will just make you shake your head until you decide to leave. That's their most common tactic.
Jason Ag
AG
Club Name Suggestions

X-Force Coder Club

Club for Kids Who Can't Code Good

Teenage Mutant Ninja Coder Club

Coder Club
BadMoonRisin
AG
Also, at this point, we need a conversion for Karens

Does 1/4Tanya = 1 Karen
sek92
AG
All Coders Matter
Rebel Yell
AG
"Karen" is a racist/sexist term designed to marginalize white women's voices.

For this exact purpose, it makes you doubt speaking up when you definitely should.

Speak up Tanya!
AggieKeith15
AG
Burrus86 said:

OP is not going "full Karen" on them. She's going full Tanya on them….amiright?

Owlagdad
AggieDruggist89 said:

Owlagdad said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

No means No brah..

two can play this game.
Tell that to Little league and Boy scouts!

Havent heard much about Ben, since what she packed him for lunch back in the day, but I assume he is in High School. I would have told my Mom "dont you dare go to the school, Ill handle it".
Dont know if boys get embarrassed that way anymore.

Sid Farkas
AG
rbs03Ag said:

If he's as good as you say, have him hack the group account and change it to Girls Can't Code.

FBI on line 2…they'll throw him into a dungeon without charges, then try him as an adult. You may never hear from him again.
Mary Bailey
I'd be upset, too.

Have him start a new coding club that accepts both genders. Good resume builder. This assumes they'll let him and he can get a sponsor.
Biz Ag
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Mary Bailey
Rebel Yell said:

"Karen" is a racist/sexist term designed to marginalize white women's voices.

For this exact purpose, it makes you doubt speaking up when you definitely should.

Speak up Tanya!
maxag42
Just tell him to identify as a girl. They don't still let your kid in? Sue for discrimination. Profit!!
Get Off My Lawn
1. Ferret out the culprit.
2. Figure out who they are.
3. If the culprit is a flaming lib: you now have a Daughter named Benny & doesn't anyone dare challenge you on it or make demands that your daughter prove herself!
4. If the culprit is a TERF: go to their boss

Regardless, Benny probably doesn't want to be in a club where the teacher is going to despise his presence - but it may be worth it to be surrounded by girls!
Harry Stone
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

make sure it is a biologically born boys club.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.