FDA Wrong Again

3,727 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by samurai_science
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shocked that this has happened.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-07/your-drugstore-nasal-decongestant-doesn-t-work-fda-says#xj4y7vzkg
Quote:

A common ingredient in over-the-counter nasal decongestants is not effective, the Food and Drug Administration said, a change to the agency's position that could have major implications for some versions of Nyquil, Sudafed and Mucinex.

The FDA said phenylephrine, an active ingredient in many over-the-counter cold and cough medicines, is not effective at standard or even higher doses, according to a report Thursday. The agency did not identify safety issues with phenylephrine. The FDA's assessment comes ahead of a hearing next week in which an independent group of advisers will debate the consequences of pulling the ingredient from the market.

Fireman
AG
Damn - Sudafed is one of the few drugs that works for me.....
OldArmy71
AG
That's been pretty obvious for quite a while.
Rapier108
Phenylephrine never worked.

The only reason manufacturers switched to it was because the government almost completely banned pseudoephedrine, which actually does work.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Ag_07
AG
I've been saying this for years and it's the reason why as soon as I'm sick I'll call a dr for a Rx.

I don't even mess with OTC sinus/cold meds anymore
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
MouthBQ98
AG
Ditto. I've been calling phenylphrine or whatever it was a placebo for years. It very obviously did nothing compared to pseudoephedrine, which actually does work pretty well.
Horse with No Name
Ag_07 said:

I've been saying this for years and it's the reason why as soon as I'm sick I'll call a dr for a Rx.

Did something change? I thought you could ask the pharmacist for 'real' Sudafed from behind the counter as long as you're not a tweaker...
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Rapier108 said:

The only reason manufacturers switched to it was because the government almost completely banned pseudoephedrine, which actually does work.

Correct. Buy the real Sudafed that they keep behind the counter.
Ag_07
AG
I don't know. Never tried that

Like I said as soon as I feel like I need OTC meds I'll just call and do a telehealth visit and get a Rx.

Just skip the BS
Line Ate Member
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Rapier108 said:

Correct. Buy the real Sudafed that they keep behind the counter.
This is the only way. Unless you have really bad congestion and the dosage in the box is less than the days of the month.
KidDoc
AG
Agree it has never been seen as effective. Pseudoephedrine that you have to show your ID for at the desk is pretty dang effective for sinus pressure and sore throat- just not the safest drug if you have high blood pressure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Horse with No Name said:

Ag_07 said:

Did something change? I thought you could ask the pharmacist for 'real' Sudafed from behind the counter as long as you're not a tweaker...
you can, but they treat you like a criminal, limit the amount that you can buy, and take down your driver's license number. If you happen to buy more at a different pharmacy later, you might get a visit from the DEA.
C@LAg
member when ephedrine was legal. and actually worked gangbusters?

I 'member.

TexAgs91
AG
samurai_science
Ag_07 said:

And cost of healthcare goes up because the gov got involved to limit the only thing that worked.
Captain Pablo
AG
Fireman said:

Damn - Sudafed is one of the few drugs that works for me.....

Well, then it still will.

Just don't buy the fake stuff that is the subject of this story
ProgN
Ag_07 said:

Go to counter at HEB Pharmacy

Ask for 2 boxes of these (that's the limit), each box is around $8/each

Scan DL and sign that you're not using it to manufacture meth

Pay and leave.

You won't pop up on any DEA red flags unless you are buying it at multiple pharmacies.

Disclaimer: I have severe allergies and I take one of these and a Zyrtec every morning and sometimes at dinner for a good sleep. They don't wire you or make you tired, just opens up your pathways for great breathing.
Captain Pablo
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Horse with No Name said:

Ag_07 said:

you can, but they treat you like a criminal, limit the amount that you can buy, and take down your driver's license number. If you happen to buy more at a different pharmacy later, you might get a visit from the DEA.

The "limit" is pretty high for an individual

It's like 9g per month, or 300 30mg pills

Yeah I get it. We don't like limits But I've never run out before the end of the month. Not even close

300 pills is a lot
American Hardwood
AG
Ag_07 said:

Every doctor I've ever visited for sinus issues wants to prescribe me Mucinex which has been worthless. I keep telling them that but they keep on prescribing it. The health care industry has lost lost so much credibility for me over the last 10-15 years.

My CPAP takes care of my sinuses far more than any of that crap medicine ever has.
redcrayon
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't know. Never tried that

Like I said as soon as I feel like I need OTC meds I'll just call and do a telehealth visit and get a Rx.

Just skip the BS
Just get the stuff behind the counter. You don't need a doctor for a cold.
zag213004
AG
Rapier108 said:

This
CardiffGiant
AG
I love me some Advil C&S when I'm stuffed up and feeling crappy like now actually. Stuff is great at making me feel better however it definitely will keep me up if I have it past about 7 or 8.
ProgN
CardiffGiant said:

I love me some Advil C&S when I'm stuffed up and feeling crappy like now actually. Stuff is great at making me feel better however it definitely will keep me up if I have it past about 7 or 8.
We're all different or I'm just exhausted but it doesn't keep me up and I sleep deeper because I can breathe better.

ETA: Buy the HEB or Walmart brand. Exact same medicine but much cheaper.
NE PA Ag
Captain Pablo said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Horse with No Name said:

Ag_07 said:

The "limit" is pretty high for an individual

It's like 9g per month, or 300 30mg pills

Yeah I get it. We don't like limits But I've never run out before the end of the month. Not even close

300 pills is a lot

"Regular" Sudafed, the small red pills, are indicated for up to 6 doses a day. At 2 pills a dose, 300 pills comes out to a 25 day supply.

Should someone be taking the maximum dose every day for days on end? That's a different question.
DallasAg 94
NE PA Ag
American Hardwood said:

Ag_07 said:

Every doctor I've ever visited for sinus issues wants to prescribe me Mucinex which has been worthless. I keep telling them that but they keep on prescribing it. The health care industry has lost lost so much credibility for me over the last 10-15 years.

My CPAP takes care of my sinuses far more than any of that crap medicine ever has.

My old doctor from a few years back (now retired) called Mucinex 'expensive water'. He basically said anything the drug does for you can be replicated with drinking extra water above the norm.
fasthorse05
Seeing this reminds me the FDA has never completed, or at least released, the final results of their testing on the COVID vaxxes. They were supposed to be completed by March of this year, and they probably are completed. My guess is it won't be released since the Dems need to push the big fear for mail-in ballots again.

The FDA gave their "emergency" approval because they needed it to keep up the pharma stock prices (which all of the politicians had put in their money) and the narrative was already cast.

Somebody needs to do a FOIA, get it rejected (which it will be), sue, and then get it released sometime in the summer of 2025.
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Phenylephrine works fine as nasal spray for short duration. And we still use it intravenously in critical care for low blood pressure.

When taken orally, it's not an effective decongestant, is what the FDA announced. Bit we knew this.

Pseudoephedrine (original Sudafed) is effective yet behind the counter because it's the base ingredient for meth.
Rex Racer
AG
Rapier108 said:

Exactly. I always get the real deal from the pharmacist when I need Sudafed. The fake stuff is useless.
YouBet
AG
Huh. Mucinex works for me as long as I get the extra strength one.

What about one of these new fangled nasal machines that basically wash you out and empty your passages....do those work?
KidDoc
AG
YouBet said:

Huh. Mucinex works for me as long as I get the extra strength one.

What about one of these new fangled nasal machines that basically wash you out and empty your passages....do those work?
Navage- absolutely works.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
samurai_science
AggieDruggist89 said:

Phenylephrine works fine as nasal spray for short duration. And we still use it intravenously in critical care for low blood pressure.

When taken orally, it's not an effective decongestant, is what the FDA announced. Bit we knew this.

Pseudoephedrine (original Sudafed) is effective yet behind the counter because it's the base ingredient for meth.
Which it should not be, who gives a F about meth
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.