Why do airports have prayer rooms?

6,722 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Antoninus
Kenneth_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't tell OP about this... I don't know if he (or she) is mentally ready for such a revelation.

https://allfaiths.ucenter.tamu.edu/
fka ftc
aggiejim70
AG
The two are not mutually exclusive. Often you have to pray you can find your luggage.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
fka ftc
#truth
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Jeeper79
AG
infinity ag said:

BluHorseShu said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

Why can't people pray at home if they need to?
Only Muslims seem to use it anyway even though they call it "multi faith".

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
2. Pandering to only 1 religion.
3. Bringing religion where it does not belong (like Islamic countries)
4. You give a bit, people ask for more. So why not prayer rooms in airplanes? Why not loudspeakers for Muslim call to prayer?
Good grief. Airports have accommodated travelers forever. Sounds like just example of seeking out innocuous things to try and create some kind of drama that doesn't exist.
Hospitals have chapels too. Are they pandering to mostly Christians? I am Christian and I can tell you it belongs everywhere.

Hmm. In that case, do you want aircraft to build prayer rooms onboard for 13 hour trans-continental flights? Someone might feel the urge to pray over Iceland and get on the aisles impeding people traffic.
Let us know when that happens. Your slippery slope has already been rendered moot by history.

And even if they do someday, who cares?
BluHorseShu
AG
infinity ag said:

BluHorseShu said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
4. You give a bit, people ask for more. So why not prayer rooms in airplanes? Why not loudspeakers for Muslim call to prayer?
Good grief. Airports have accommodated travelers forever. Sounds like just example of seeking out innocuous things to try and create some kind of drama that doesn't exist.
Hospitals have chapels too. Are they pandering to mostly Christians? I am Christian and I can tell you it belongs everywhere.

Hmm. In that case, do you want aircraft to build prayer rooms onboard for 13 hour trans-continental flights? Someone might feel the urge to pray over Iceland and get on the aisles impeding people traffic.
Well that doesn't really make logistical sense, does it? Where as an airport has the space to do it. But hey, if you want to make that comparison, have at it.
Tramp96
It is clear the OP doesn't watch Air Disasters on the Smithsonian Channel.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

And what's the deal with airplane food?
Is that you, Jerry?

deddog
AG
infinity ag said:

OP has clearly never flown on Aeroflot
Or Spirit.
TXAggie2011
AG
infinity ag said:

Crocker91 said:

Quote:

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
Stop being paranoid. Just stop. Your entire raison d'etre collapses on point 2.

Atlanta airport gets a 24/7 eucharistic chapel

We'd be better off if we encouraged everyone--including the Muslims--to pray more regularly. Doubly so if we condemned phone usage at the same time.

Are you my mother to tell me what to do and what not to do?

Airport prayer rooms may have been at one point been for everyone but today it is clear that it is used as a way to be woke and to pander to one particular religion. I have visited several of these prayer rooms in airports in many places, I don't see Christians, Jews or Hindus or Buddhists using it. Most of the time it is a few Muslims or just empty.

Besides, an airport is for transit purposes. Why bring religion in there? Humans need restrooms but they can pray at home or at their destination or just in their mind.

It's not a Muslim's fault if Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus etc. aren't using the room. They're all entirely allowed and capable of using it if they so choose to do so
valvemonkey91
AG
To pander to the mooslims. Why else? Besides, where else are they going to confirm with Allah their virgins before they hijack a plane?
Fairview
AG
Some Middle East airlines like Saudia have them on the plane.

DarkBrandon01
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

have you seen how many pilots have been dropping dead while piloting planes? not a bad idea to put a prayer up to the man upstairs before flying with a pilot who you know took the covid jab.

the most TexAgs response ever
agz win
AG
OP most comfortable kneeling in prayer in the back stall.
chlavinka
AG
Why do they have bars? People like to drink. Same concept.
HTownAg98
deddog said:

infinity ag said:

OP has clearly never flown on Aeroflot
Or Spirit.

I flew Frontier on a bereavement fare once. When we landed, I was wishing I was the dead person.
one safe place
Kenneth_2003 said:

Don't tell OP about this... I don't know if he (or she) is mentally ready for such a revelation.

https://allfaiths.ucenter.tamu.edu/

Doesn't look like it is inside an airport.
eric76
AG
Maybe they are praying that there aren't any dogs on the flight.
eric76
AG

FatZilla
AG
Great quite place to let one rip, give it a few crop dust circles around the room and head out.
96AgGrad
AG
As long as they don't turn the plane to face Mecca, I don't care.
aduey06
Ever flown Egypt Air. They have a Muslim prayer that comes over the announcements and is show on the tvs before you take off.
TRADUCTOR
Well since the ladies are not allowed to enter or use the front door... I say bad muslin prayer room, bad!
eric76
AG
Do they have a tv for those who pray best when watching Aggie football?
sts7049
AG
infinity ag said:

RockTXAggie said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money

This isn't new, airports have had chapels and prayer rooms for as long as I can remember. It's not pandering to one religion if only one religion chooses to use it. As for bringing religion where it doesn't belong, I hope you bring that same energy when it comes to Christianity because Christianity is everywhere.

If I find Christianity where it should not be, then yes, I will oppose that too. It applies to all religions. But note that all religions are not created alike. Some are predatory.
FYI - I am not Christian myself.
i look forward to your thread denouncing prayer in schools. after all, that's only a place for education. should go over well here.
ts5641
Probably to segregate those "religious people" and keep them away from praying in front of the general public so the pagans aren't offended.
torrid
AG
eric76 said:

Maybe they are praying that there aren't any dogs on the flight.
Every time I fly. Of course now I have to add to that no vomit on the seat, and no trail of diarrhea running the entire length of the plane.
BigOil
AG
D-Fens said:

They do it to virtue signal and placate muslims.

Dumb.

These have been around forever. Probably because flying was less safe 30-40 years ago so a little last minute "our father" before a flight just in case.
TChaney
Well once again, looks like we can pin the "blame" on the Catholics.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/airport-chapels-brief-history-180967765/

Quote:

Our Lady of the Airways, was built by Boston Archbishop Richard J. Cushing at Logan airport in 1951 and it was explicitly meant for people working at the airport.

Fireman
AG
Muslims are required to pray at certain times of the day, so if they are traveling and in an airport, that can't pray at home, as you suggest.
annie88
AG
They're supposed to pray five times a day. I don't have a problem with this as long as they're open to all faiths.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I can just imagine how most of this board would react if a muslim threw down a prayer rug in the middle of a busy terminal and started their prayer. That's why they have rooms for them.
RebelE Infantry
AG
infinity ag said:

RockTXAggie said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money

This isn't new, airports have had chapels and prayer rooms for as long as I can remember. It's not pandering to one religion if only one religion chooses to use it. As for bringing religion where it doesn't belong, I hope you bring that same energy when it comes to Christianity because Christianity is everywhere.

If I find Christianity where it should not be, then yes, I will oppose that too. It applies to all religions. But note that all religions are not created alike. Some are predatory.
FYI - I am not Christian myself.

Everyone point and laugh at the edgy junior high Reddit-tier atheist.
The flames of the Imperium burn brightly in the hearts of men repulsed by degenerate modernity. Souls aflame with love of goodness, truth, beauty, justice, and order.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
This is the answer to the original question

I know NOTHING!!!!
Madman
AG
Would it be ok and possible to pray in one of these laying flat with my eyes closed during a long layover?

I already have a prayer neck pillow
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.