Why do airports have prayer rooms?

6,755 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Antoninus
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why can't people pray at home if they need to?
Only Muslims seem to use it anyway even though they call it "multi faith".

Detmersdislocatedshoulder
have you seen how many pilots have been dropping dead while piloting planes? not a bad idea to put a prayer up to the man upstairs before flying with a pilot who you know took the covid jab.
Mr Mojo Risin
AG
Wrong forum...
The Banned
infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?
D-Fens
They do it to virtue signal and placate muslims.
CheeseSndwch
Because sometimes people are traveling under difficult circumstances to reach a loved one whose time is near, or they are on a bereavement flight and it's best for everyone that they have a private area to reflect rather that fall to pieces emotionally at the gate while everyone is killing time before boarding.
Rapier108
Airports have had interfaith chapels forever. It is not a new thing.

Of course some countries are going to bend over backwards to make Muslims happy and the UK is one of the worst.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BadMoonRisin
AG
Muslims. I dont have a problem with it.

It's part of their faith, and its not a big deal.
infinity ag
The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
2. Pandering to only 1 religion.
3. Bringing religion where it does not belong (like Islamic countries)
4. You give a bit, people ask for more. So why not prayer rooms in airplanes? Why not loudspeakers for Muslim call to prayer?
fka ftc
These have been in airports since the Wright Bros time. If you have ever been to Hobby Airport baggage claim level, you have walked by one for years and years. Actually a pretty nice one.

https://houstonairportchapel.com/william-p-hobby-airport-hou-chapel-location/
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
The Banned
infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
4. You give a bit, people ask for more. So why not prayer rooms in airplanes? Why not loudspeakers for Muslim call to prayer?

So it's a Muslim issue? Isn't it better that they have a room where they can go do it instead of dropping down beside you while you sit waiting for you flight? They aren't going to stop flying or praying, so may as well give the somewhere to go.

And waste of money? I bet that prayer room accounts .00005% of the overall construction and maintenance costs of an airport
Urban Ag
AG
If you've ever flown with a baby and a toddler and a wife who has been dealing with the baby and toddler, a prayer room for dad is not a terrible idea

Or vodka.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money

This isn't new, airports have had chapels and prayer rooms for as long as I can remember. It's not pandering to one religion if only one religion chooses to use it. As for bringing religion where it doesn't belong, I hope you bring that same energy when it comes to Christianity because Christianity is everywhere.
Four Seasons Landscaping
And what's the deal with airplane food?
Crocker91
AG
Quote:

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
Stop being paranoid. Just stop. Your entire raison d'etre collapses on point 2.

Atlanta airport gets a 24/7 eucharistic chapel

We'd be better off if we encouraged everyone--including the Muslims--to pray more regularly. Doubly so if we condemned phone usage at the same time.
infinity ag
Crocker91 said:

Quote:

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
Stop being paranoid. Just stop. Your entire raison d'etre collapses on point 2.

Atlanta airport gets a 24/7 eucharistic chapel

We'd be better off if we encouraged everyone--including the Muslims--to pray more regularly. Doubly so if we condemned phone usage at the same time.

Are you my mother to tell me what to do and what not to do?

Airport prayer rooms may have been at one point been for everyone but today it is clear that it is used as a way to be woke and to pander to one particular religion. I have visited several of these prayer rooms in airports in many places, I don't see Christians, Jews or Hindus or Buddhists using it. Most of the time it is a few Muslims or just empty.

Besides, an airport is for transit purposes. Why bring religion in there? Humans need restrooms but they can pray at home or at their destination or just in their mind.
damiond
crop dust and leave
infinity ag
RockTXAggie said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money

This isn't new, airports have had chapels and prayer rooms for as long as I can remember. It's not pandering to one religion if only one religion chooses to use it. As for bringing religion where it doesn't belong, I hope you bring that same energy when it comes to Christianity because Christianity is everywhere.

If I find Christianity where it should not be, then yes, I will oppose that too. It applies to all religions. But note that all religions are not created alike. Some are predatory.
FYI - I am not Christian myself.
infinity ag
Urban Ag said:

If you've ever flown with a baby and a toddler and a wife who has been dealing with the baby and toddler, a prayer room for dad is not a terrible idea

Or vodka.

TexAgs91
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

have you seen how many pilots have been dropping dead while piloting planes? not a bad idea to put a prayer up to the man upstairs before flying with a pilot who you know took the covid jab.

Good question
Fight! Fight! Fight!
BluHorseShu
AG
infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
Good grief. Airports have accommodated travelers forever. Sounds like just example of seeking out innocuous things to try and create some kind of drama that doesn't exist.
Hospitals have chapels too. Are they pandering to mostly Christians? I am Christian and I can tell you it belongs everywhere.
infinity ag
The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money

So it's a Muslim issue? Isn't it better that they have a room where they can go do it instead of dropping down beside you while you sit waiting for you flight? They aren't going to stop flying or praying, so may as well give the somewhere to go.

And waste of money? I bet that prayer room accounts .00005% of the overall construction and maintenance costs of an airport

Strawman argument.
One can "drop down" at home or somewhere else. An airport is not the place for that. BTW, maybe you hit upon the reason why this was introduced in the first place. Maybe people prayed near the gates, so they created a room for them. They cannot make this for one religion only so they called it multi faith even though only 1 religion uses it.

The basic issue is religion should not be where it isn't supposed to be. Now you may say religion is in politics also. Yes, it should go to but that is not the topic of this thread.
aggiebrad94
AG
infinity ag said:

If I find Christianity where it should not be, then yes, I will oppose that too. It applies to all religions. But note that all religions are not created alike. Some are predatory.
Then username does NOT fit
infinity ag
BluHorseShu said:

infinity ag said:

The Banned said:

infinity ag said:

l

Why does it bother you?

Several reasons.
1. Waste of money
Good grief. Airports have accommodated travelers forever. Sounds like just example of seeking out innocuous things to try and create some kind of drama that doesn't exist.
Hospitals have chapels too. Are they pandering to mostly Christians? I am Christian and I can tell you it belongs everywhere.

Hmm. In that case, do you want aircraft to build prayer rooms onboard for 13 hour trans-continental flights? Someone might feel the urge to pray over Iceland and get on the aisles impeding people traffic.
infinity ag
aggiebrad94 said:

infinity ag said:

Then username does NOT fit

This is OT, but how so?
A Net Full of Jello
AG
damiond said:

crop dust and leave
My first thought was to send in a bunch of Pentecostals, but this would work, too, if the Muslims praying in there really bothers you.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
This thread is starting to remind of the California guy whining about Texas thread.
torrid
AG
i'm an agnostic, but the TSA still forced me to go in the chapel and pray the last time I flew.
Robert L. Peters
What's the problem if Muslims use it? Aren't they praying to the same God?
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
fka ftc
infinity ag said:

Hmm. In that case, do you want aircraft to build prayer rooms onboard for 13 hour trans-continental flights? Someone might feel the urge to pray over Iceland and get on the aisles impeding people traffic.
Something tells me you have not flown on Pakistani airlines. Yes, it is common for folks to get up, spread the magic carpet in the aisle, and get their pray on.

Dems want to cut *****es off our sons and bind the boobs of our daughters, not going to get upset about Muslims hanging out in the airport chapel.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Im Gipper
I have never flown in Pakistani Airlines, and God willing never will! LOL

I did fly to Vegas on JSX for Labor Day Weekend. You were right! Its a game changer!

I'm Gipper
Txhuntr
AG
I had a pretty long connection through Chicago midway in May. The first announcement they made was for Catholic mass in the airport chapel. During the mass they started announcing a nondenominational service for the same chapel immediately following mass. Sure, the UK is probably pandering to Muslims, but there's airports out there that utilize things like these for Christians
fka ftc
Im Gipper said:

I have never flown in Pakistani Airlines, and God willing never will! LOL

I did fly to Vegas on JSX for Labor Day Weekend. You were right! Its a game changer!
Good times. I like those guys and really want them to keep growing.

BassCowboy33
infinity ag said:

Get prayer out of our airports and back into our schools!!
fka ftc
Txhuntr said:

I had a pretty long connection through Chicago midway in May. The first announcement they made was for Catholic mass in the airport chapel. During the mass they started announcing a nondenominational service for the same chapel immediately following mass. Sure, the UK is probably pandering to Muslims, but there's airports out there that utilize things like these for Christians
Good point. Most Christians in the UK are non-practicing, the remaining are devout atheists.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.