Trump campaign works with the left to take out rivals

15,467 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by ts5641
the_batman26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wasn't Florida already trending red anyway?
texagbeliever
Definitely Not A Cop said:

texagbeliever said:

BMX Bandit said:

Gee lets look at the message.

Ron is a hardcore true republican. Pro: gets rid of bad parts. Con: is less appealing to moderates.
Trump is a moderate republican. Pro: more palpable platform for moderates. Con: is less appealing to conservatives.

The two are currently courting and growing their bases. DeSantis is rallying the conservative (Cruz in 2016 base). Trump is rallying the moderate rural support. They will eventually sync up. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM TO SYNC UP NOW.

That's a great narrative not remotely grounded in reality. You don't turn a purple state red by 20 points without appealing to moderates.
Well if DeSantis has such great support from moderates, is CLEARLY the guy for conservatives then he should be at least neck and neck with Trump in the polls (honestly, he should be ahead). Wait, nope he isn't. He is actually way behind. So apparently there is a difference between the national voting populace and what a moderate is there then what is seen in Florida. Which, you know, seems kind of obvious.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

BMX Bandit said:

Ron is a hardcore true republican. Pro: gets rid of bad parts. Con: is less appealing to moderates.
Trump is a moderate republican. Pro: more palpable platform for moderates. Con: is less appealing to conservatives.

The two are currently courting and growing their bases. DeSantis is rallying the conservative (Cruz in 2016 base). Trump is rallying the moderate rural support. They will eventually sync up. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THEM TO SYNC UP NOW.

That's a great narrative not remotely grounded in reality. You don't turn a purple state red by 20 points without appealing to moderates.
Well if DeSantis has such great support from moderates, is CLEARLY the guy for conservatives then he should be at least neck and neck with Trump in the polls (honestly, he should be ahead). Wait, nope he isn't. He is actually way behind. So apparently there is a difference between the national voting populace and what a moderate is there then what is seen in Florida. Which, you know, seems kind of obvious.

Tell me what a moderate supports then, if turning one of the largest purple states red doesn't indicate that.

It doesn't look like he actively works with democrats to bring his Republican opponents down, is that what you are saying the difference is?
texagbeliever
BMX Bandit said:

You apparently can't grasp that teaming up with democrats to constantly lie and attack from left is a bad strategy for republicans.
You apparently can't grasp that there are millions of Americans who don't like republicans. Don't trust them. And to be fair when you trot out McCain, Bush, Bush, Bush, and Romney as the guy can you blame them?

It is politics. Lying happens. Misrepresentation happens. Part of being a leader is overcoming it and building a presence that is unperturbed by it. That is why Trump was so successful (why Jeb so horrific).
the_batman26
AG
I don't see any Bush winning again. Especially after the WMD debacle.
texagbeliever

texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

BMX Bandit said:

Tell me what a moderate supports then, if turning one of the largest purple states red doesn't indicate that.

It doesn't look like he actively works with democrats to bring his Republican opponents down, is that what you are saying the difference is?
If what you are saying is true, then why is DeSantis not seeing better polling numbers. Clearly there is some disconnect between Florida voters and national voters (early primary state voters).

Options: 1. Trump does better with moderate republicans then Desantis.
2. DeSantis lacks name recognition.
3. Moderates in Midwest aren't the same political issue makeup as Florida (economies, religion, race, urban vs rural, education, etc)
4. Insert your explanation.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Are you not going to answer? What do moderates support that aligns with Trump more than DeSantis?
texagbeliever
the_batman26 said:

I don't see any Bush winning again. Especially after the WMD debacle.
I hope not! I'd like to add McCain and Cheney names to that list as well.
Charpie
AG

texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

BMX Bandit said:

Ahem.

We don't support trump..that's for sure.
Science Denier
AG
aggie93 said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

This is not just "out-campaigning". This is an outright stated goal of permanent destruction. We are constantly told on this board that we should not be disparaging Trump when we point out his shortcomings, because he might be the nominee. There is 1 person in this race who is out to destroy conservatives. Again, I get sick of people pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
Look it is obvious who the "DeSantis Disciples" are on this forum. Just go to the Ron v Trump thread. Many posters are tired of everything being twisted as a this is Trump's fault. If there was better discipline on bringing up topics that are actually critical and done not in a "wake up you still rednecks who probably don't have indoor plumbing tone" which is most common then you would get traction.

But as I pointed out months ago when we were getting the daily Twitter feed of Aggie93's Ron's fanboy threads, it just becomes meh.

So you are ok with Trump spending more time with Loomer than in Iowa and Loomer working with the worst Leftist on Twitter to destroy DeSantis. She also mentions others are involved and thinks it's great. This is a woman that said Casey faked her cancer and Ron killed his sister.

Sorry but this is way out of bounds. I am boggled anyone can defend this. Deflect away but this is on Trumps team to explain.
SHE
IS
NOT
ON
TRUMP'S
TEAM
texagbeliever

Are you not going to answer? What do moderates support that aligns with Trump more than DeSantis?
Trump is a fighter. Outsider. Not a clean cut perfect wife, perfect children, perfect Christian politician. Rural Americans know that they are looked down on for shopping at dollar tree and walmart. They can't buy a reasonably priced truck because of bureaucrats in urban areas finding them evil. Trump talks like them. He sees a kettle he calls it black. Trump might have an Ivy league degree but you would much rather grab a beer with him then most other people. That is his likability. Yes there is a group that doesn't like him for all of those things.

Look at the Oliver Anthony song. I'd wager $50 Oliver likely would vote for Trump over DeSantis if asked. Just is hitting a different note than the Urban/Suburban college educated crowd normally hears.
aggie93
AG
texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

lb3 said:

Phatbob said:

lb3 said:

Phatbob said:

This is just how politics works. When I worked with various campaigns, I used Democrat operatives all the time to help help shape the narrative on primary opponents.

Was your goal to make sure your primary opponents could never win, even if they won the primary?
No, but luckily in the 10 years I worked with campaigns I never had an opposing primary candidate get the party bid.

Politics is pretty incestious with campaign staffers taking committee jobs or other government staff positions between cycles to get benefits and then resigning and going on COBRA during campaign season. Basically all the senior campaign staffers and consultants knew each other from working for or against each other earlier in their careers.

We wouldn't pull out the daggers against every opposing candidate. There are actually unwritten rules about what's out of bounds and what's fair game. Those that broke the rules would never work in politics again.

Sometimes we would just clown on the other campaigns like defacing wiki pages as soon as their staff walked out the door to go attend an event. One of the funniest things we did was after one of our printers noticed that an opposing candidate photoshopped his head on a slimmer man's body. We got that going viral before social media was really a thing.

When there was campaign news to disseminate about polls or fundraising within our campaign, the campaign manager would go chat with the media on background or off the record. But if we had personal dirt on a candidate, the campaigns almost never pushed it. Instead guys like me who weren't on campaign payrolls would get the gossip mills churning.

I had Democrat friends who were really talented campaigners and had contacts with liberal bloggers, etc. One knew a writer on the Colbert Show and we exchanged stories all the time during the primaries. But once the general elections started we wouldn't speak.

In general the daggers were reserved for those that didn't follow the unwritten rules and kill shots were for racists, adulterers, wife-beaters, and drug addicts. The goal was that they not only didn't get the party bid, but that they never ran for office in the GOP again.
That is what I understand of normal politics. But what that tells me is that this is not normal politics. Trump's brand of "conservatism" has little to do with any furthering of ideas, but of a "Trump Tower" of politics... cutthroat to anyone outside of himself.
What is your hot take on DeSantis' new add attacking Trump's stamina? Is that wrong?

Note I don't care about the ad. I prefer Trump to have to handle these questions, NOW, during the primary. If it is an issue with voters then it will be successful for DeSantis. If it isn't effective than it will not be a weakness for Trump in the general. See that is why it is good to have primaries be a bit dirty, it helps air out dirt and make it old news.

Trump will be 82 as President which is well past life expectancy and literally every person that age is in physical and mental decline. That's a major problem with Biden. How is that not fair game? Especially when Trump is doing a light schedule and not debating? Most of the ad was just showing Trump where he is today and not what he was in 2016.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Phatbob
AG
texagbeliever said:

Trump is a fighter. Outsider. Not a clean cut perfect wife, perfect children, perfect Christian politician. Rural Americans know that they are looked down on for shopping at dollar tree and walmart. They can't buy a reasonably priced truck because of bureaucrats in urban areas finding them evil. Trump talks like them. He sees a kettle he calls it black. Trump might have an Ivy league degree but you would much rather grab a beer with him then most other people. That is his likability. Yes there is a group that doesn't like him for all of those things.

Look at the Oliver Anthony song. I'd wager $50 Oliver likely would vote for Trump over DeSantis if asked. Just is hitting a different note than the Urban/Suburban college educated crowd normally hears.
Ironically Trump doesn't drink, so he would never grab a beer with them, and Trump put out a video of DeSantis ordering a beer for some reason as if it was an attack ad...
BMX Bandit
Quote:

SHE
IS
NOT
ON
TRUMP'S
TEAM

VERY
FAKE
NEWS

Shills for trump, lies about his opponents, gets meetings with him, etc
Science Denier
AG
texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

texagbeliever said:

BMX Bandit said:

If what you are saying is true, then why is DeSantis not seeing better polling numbers. Clearly there is some disconnect between Florida voters and national voters (early primary state voters).

Options: 1. Trump does better with moderate republicans then Desantis.
2. DeSantis lacks name recognition.
3. Moderates in Midwest aren't the same political issue makeup as Florida (economies, religion, race, urban vs rural, education, etc)
4. Insert your explanation.
Their explanation is that THE MEDIA IS HELPING TRUMP. They've posted that on multiple threads.
DatTallArchitect
AG
cevans_40 said:

Phatbob said:

This was posted in the R vs D thread, but I think it deserves it's own thread.
[url=https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/17/ron-filipkowski-desantis-trump-00110950][/url]
Politico

Quote:

Online, Filipkowski, a former Republican now devoted to trolling the GOP, is a different person altogether. He is a social media obsessive or savant, or both sharing an endless stream of photos, videos, political dirt and, at times, biting political commentary with the roughly 750,000 followers he has on X, sometimes blowing up a politician's comment or gaffe with attention. "The thing that I think is so unique about Ron's work is that he surfaces a lot of clips and photos that aren't things you can find by just watching cable news or YouTube streams," said Aaron Rupar (follower count: 884.7k), a liberal-leaning journalist known for quickly clipping political videos that go viral on X. "He's great at dredging things up from deeper social media sources that take a lot of work to find."

During the 2022 midterm election, he shared a video of Pennsylvania Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz talking about preparing a crudit platter that went viral and underscored voter concerns that the wealthy TV physician was out of touch. During the same cycle, he picked up on then-Senate candidate J.D. Vance telling Steve Bannon's War Room podcast he didn't "care what happens to Ukraine one way or another," a moment that previewed the shift in how Republicans view foreign conflicts. Days later, Vance's campaign issued a statement clarifying his comments. And earlier this year, when 2024 GOP presidential candidate and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis lashed out at a reporter during a trip to Jerusalem over a question about his time serving at Guantanamo Bay as a Navy lawyer, Filipkowski posted a clipped video of the moment that now has over 3.8 million views.

His tweets have sparked cable news segments and online battles with political operatives. Journalists have alerts turned on to catch the latest photo or obscure right-wing event he has uncovered. Even the campaigns he covers and political figures he loathes have warmed to him and even teamed up with him. Filipkowski said he is in contact with far-right activist Laura Loomer and people affiliated with Donald Trump's campaign. It's not to boost Trump (whom he has been agitating against since the 2020 campaign) but to upend their mutual enemy: DeSantis.

"I'm probably the top anti-DeSantis person on Twitter. So if [rivals] have something anti-DeSantis that they want to get into the mainstream, they'll send it to me," Filipkowski said, without disclosing the name of anyone on the Trump campaign he's worked with. The Trump campaign declined to comment.

Loomer said they speak occasionally. "He knows I'm a Trump loyalist, and I know he doesn't like Trump, and despite our differences, we have found common ground on making sure Ron DeSantis is never elected president of the United States, ever."
Does that sound like someone interested in making sure that the Democrats are not elected no matter what, or like someone who only cares about 1 thing... Trump.

And naturally, you believe him
Trump was a life long democrat. It's not that far of a stretch.
texagbeliever
aggie93 said:

texagbeliever said:

Phatbob said:

lb3 said:

Phatbob said:

lb3 said:

Phatbob said:

This is just how politics works. When I worked with various campaigns, I used Democrat operatives all the time to help help shape the narrative on primary opponents.

Was your goal to make sure your primary opponents could never win, even if they won the primary?
No, but luckily in the 10 years I worked with campaigns I never had an opposing primary candidate get the party bid.

Politics is pretty incestious with campaign staffers taking committee jobs or other government staff positions between cycles to get benefits and then resigning and going on COBRA during campaign season. Basically all the senior campaign staffers and consultants knew each other from working for or against each other earlier in their careers.

We wouldn't pull out the daggers against every opposing candidate. There are actually unwritten rules about what's out of bounds and what's fair game. Those that broke the rules would never work in politics again.

Sometimes we would just clown on the other campaigns like defacing wiki pages as soon as their staff walked out the door to go attend an event. One of the funniest things we did was after one of our printers noticed that an opposing candidate photoshopped his head on a slimmer man's body. We got that going viral before social media was really a thing.

When there was campaign news to disseminate about polls or fundraising within our campaign, the campaign manager would go chat with the media on background or off the record. But if we had personal dirt on a candidate, the campaigns almost never pushed it. Instead guys like me who weren't on campaign payrolls would get the gossip mills churning.

I had Democrat friends who were really talented campaigners and had contacts with liberal bloggers, etc. One knew a writer on the Colbert Show and we exchanged stories all the time during the primaries. But once the general elections started we wouldn't speak.

In general the daggers were reserved for those that didn't follow the unwritten rules and kill shots were for racists, adulterers, wife-beaters, and drug addicts. The goal was that they not only didn't get the party bid, but that they never ran for office in the GOP again.
That is what I understand of normal politics. But what that tells me is that this is not normal politics. Trump's brand of "conservatism" has little to do with any furthering of ideas, but of a "Trump Tower" of politics... cutthroat to anyone outside of himself.
What is your hot take on DeSantis' new add attacking Trump's stamina? Is that wrong?

Note I don't care about the ad. I prefer Trump to have to handle these questions, NOW, during the primary. If it is an issue with voters then it will be successful for DeSantis. If it isn't effective than it will not be a weakness for Trump in the general. See that is why it is good to have primaries be a bit dirty, it helps air out dirt and make it old news.

Trump will be 82 as President which is well past life expectancy and literally every person that age is in physical and mental decline. That's a major problem with Biden. How is that not fair game? Especially when Trump is doing a light schedule and not debating? Most of the ad was just showing Trump where he is today and not what he was in 2016.
It is fair game. But if you care about setting up candidates in the best (cleanest) shape for the general that seems in bad taste. Look if the Loomer attacks and stuff from the left takes down DeSantis, then he wasn't going to win the primary anyways. If DeSantis overcomes it, it is like in Highlander where he becomes even stronger from it. So stop the whinning!
the_batman26
AG
He at least made the GOP fun for a little bit…instead of…Jeb.
Science Denier
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

SHE
IS
NOT
ON
TRUMP'S
TEAM

VERY
FAKE
NEWS

LOL, that is a rather large population. Lots of people meet with trump and post on X.

TDS has a strange definition of "on his team".
aggie93
AG
texagbeliever said:

The irony of course is Trump has lived a truly privileged and elite lifestyle his entire life. DeSantis is pure middle class and spent 20 years paying off college loans.

I understand how people get manipulated to think Trump can relate to them and cares about them but neither is true. Perception is reality though for many and it's a little sad. Trump would have made a great Roman Emperor with bread and circuses to distract the mob.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
aggie93
AG
Science Denier said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

SHE
IS
NOT
ON
TRUMP'S
TEAM

VERY
FAKE
NEWS

LOL, that is a rather large population. Lots of people meet with trump and post on X.

Trump spent more time one on one with Loomer this weekend than he did in Iowa.

Ronald Reagan
BMX Bandit
Trump does have a large team. So does DeSantis.

Loomer is on trumps team. Your denial of that shows you continue to be the one with TDS.
Science Denier
AG
aggie93 said:

Science Denier said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

SHE
IS
NOT
ON
TRUMP'S
TEAM

VERY
FAKE
NEWS

Trump spent more time one on one with Loomer this weekend than he did in Iowa.
So, anyone he spent more time with than Iowa is on his team?

Uh, that's also a strange definition. Especially, since he was there for, I think, less than an hour. He spent more time on CNN.

LOOK!! CNN IS ON TRUMP'S TEAM!!!!!
texagbeliever
aggie93 said:

texagbeliever said:

The irony of course is Trump has lived a truly privileged and elite lifestyle his entire life. DeSantis is pure middle class and spent 20 years paying off college loans.

I understand how people get manipulated to think Trump can relate to them and cares about them but neither is true. Perception is reality though for many and it's a little sad. Trump would have made a great Roman Emperor with bread and circuses to distract the mob.
So what. Trump clearly can relate and resonate with middle class Americans. That isn't debatable. I can relate with people who aren't my same race, religion and socio economic status. I posses this thing called empathy. Trump is either the greatest actor of all time (30 year running gig) or he also is very gifted in empathy.

Note on Trump's likeability. He is referenced in many sitcoms. Michael Scott has a "You're fired" joke in the office. Trump is in Home Alone 2. If he wasn't generally liked or seen positively he wouldn't have kept being written into shows as references. Now that of course stopped post 2015.
Science Denier
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Trump does have a large team. So does DeSantis.

Loomer is on trumps team. Your denial of that shows you continue to be the one with TDS.

I posted an actual, factual link showing she's not on Trump's team.

What do you have?

oh yea. Loomer posts on X.

OK, I'm convinced.

While I get she certainly supports him, she's not on his team. And her occasionally talking to this dude has zero reflection on Trump doing anything that's claimed in the OP.
BMX Bandit
You posted no such thing. A person doesn't have to be paid to be on a candidate's team. You know that. But you can't defend trump in this, so you do what y'all always do: lie.

I guess Chip Roy isn't on DeSantis team since he's not paid.
Science Denier
AG
BMX Bandit said:

You posted no such thing. A person doesn't have to be paid to be on a candidate's team. You know that. But you can't defend trump in this, so you do what y'all always do: lie.

I guess Chip Roy isn't on DeSantis team since he's not paid.
They sure as hell do if they "represent" Trump's campaign, which is what the OP is saying. Anything official from the campaign can only come from someone officially representing the campaign. Unless there is some proof that Trump aurhorized her to represent his interests with this dude.

Maybe you missed this title
Quote:

Trump campaign works with the left to take out rivals
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
texagbeliever said:

He fights just as much as trump, except he's recently much more successful at it. Trump has a literal supermodel for a wife, not sure what that point is about. DeSantis literally grew up blue collar, trump didn't. He just pretends to be.

So again, what do moderates support that aligns with trump more than DeSantis?
texagbeliever

texagbeliever said:

DeSantis literally grew up blue collar, trump didn't. He just pretends to be.

So again, what does trump have that moderates are keying into that DeSantis doesn't have?
I answered your question. You don't like it, doesn't mean i feel obliged to answer it differently.

How about you now answer my question. How come DeSantis is not polling better if he is clearly the better candidate for moderates and conservatives?

You have the following assumptions:
1. DeSantis resonates better with moderates
2. Desantis resonates better with conservatives
3. DeSantis doesn't have baggage of Trump
4. Trump has high disapproval
5. DeSantis is a proven fighter

So let's hear it. There must be some flaw I'm missing or your assumptions you keep asserting as facts aren't true in the real world.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You answered my questions with things that weren't factual. If you can provide facts, let me know and I would be happy to respond in kind.
texagbeliever

You answered my questions with things that weren't factual.
Okay then answer my questions with facts. Show that you are better than me.
J. Walter Weatherman
Science Denier said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

SHE
IS
NOT
ON
TRUMP'S
TEAM

VERY
FAKE
NEWS

The level of obtuseness it takes to think that Loomer isn't doing exactly what Trump is telling her to do is both sad and impressive at the same time.
texagbeliever

You answered my questions with things that weren't factual. If you can provide facts, let me know and I would be happy to respond in kind.
You provided a question. I answered the question. I never asked you to refute my answer. That wasn't part of the ask. Now answer my question. I don't care if you use facts or citations.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
As soon as you can provide factual information, I would be happy to respond in kind.
texagbeliever

Scratch that. You don't seem interested in engaging in conversation. And this is derailing. Apologies staff, i got carried away and should have left it at just the one ask.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.