Texas Tribune article regarding suspension of A&M prof -- Ed. by Staff

10,441 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by doubledog
etxag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TacosaurusRex said:

barbacoa taco said:

Rapier108 said:

Amazing how people fall for the Texas Tribune's propaganda every single time.

Instead of whining about "muh soros" maybe consider that A&M is bringing this kind of attention on itself. No reason they couldn't have told Buckingham to kick rocks. The professor was exercising free speech and her criticisms were completely valid (ie they were not pure vitriolic insults). We aren't required to bend the knee to snowflakes.
What were the actual comments?

Nobody can say. But it must have been baaaaaaaaaad. But not too bad for her to lose her job or receive any disciplinary punishment at all.
Get Off My Lawn
BassCowboy33 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

aggie93 said:

Rapier108 said:

This. The Tribune is not someone that is interested in telling both sides of a story or getting to the truth. They want to tear down anything Republican and they hate A&M. It's very possible that this story is true and it happened the way they claim but I put about as much stock in the Tribune as I do a Rolling Stone article on evaluating Donald Trump in an intellectually honest fashion.
Quote:

Buckingham declined to comment.
Quote:

UTMB declined to comment for this story, and Alonzo declined to be interviewed.
Quote:

Eltife declined to comment.
They tried to get both sides. All you gotta do is open the article, lol.
"Hi - Dawn Buckingham? Im Kate from the "I hate you rag." Would you be interested in giving a statement that we can contort or mischaracterize in our next attack piece? No? Ok - we'll just paint it like you're trying to hide, then."

Don't complain about it being one-sided if you're going to make excuses for the people preventing it from being two-sided.

But this does raise an interesting point. On numerous occasions I've done stories where one side refuses to speak, only to be shocked when I ran the story. The complaint is then that we're being "one-sided." That's not how this works, bra. You can't kill a story by refusing to tell your side of it.
"Stories." You're pretending that this is journalism. It isn't. The Tribune and (as with most legacy media) sold itself to the leftist narrative a long time ago.

Propagandists run propaganda. You push it because it's on your side, but it's dying under its own reputational collapse.

In a post-truth society with free media - the only hope for longevity that print media HAD was in being a source of truth. But you highlight WITH YOUR ASSERTION just another of the failure points in play: "if you don't cooperate with me, I'll just run with the opposition's perspective."

That's vindictiveness - not journalism. Your inability to differentiate the two is quite telling.

If cooperation was needed for journalists to do their jobs, journalism wouldn't exist. The whole point of investigative journalism is the work that people wont cooperate on.
You spontaneously admitted to spurning those who don't cooperate with you through one-sided reporting! Now you want to pretend you're an ethical investigative truth-speaker?!

And you're upset that folks aren't taking you out your revered paper seriously?!? Look in a mirror! YOU are what's wrong with modern "journalism!"
Get Off My Lawn
Oh, and another thing, those saying "A&M just keeps making unforced errors!"

…even with the lack of information, isn't this the proper sequence of events? Allegation of impropriety > temporary status and investigation > insufficient findings > restoration of status quo.

The entire question is whether the allegation was worthy of investigation and that's the detail that's omitted!

The "bad look for A&M" comes from the Tribune publishing an incomplete story. Which should reflect more on that "institution" than our own.
TChaney
You guys are arguing with a miniature reporter... expecting him to be objective about modern day editorials pretending to be news is just not possible.

He's an award winning propagandist

Hell, he even quotes his own Twitter account here on TexAgs like he "found" this Tweet from some random reporter. Just like the Aggieland Board and KBTX - he probably uses this site for his articles.
Get Off My Lawn
Yeah, I know, arguing I the internet with strangers and all. And him being 12 (class of '33) makes it all the worse. But if the board doesn't poke holes in propaganda it lingers as the narrative of record.
BassCowboy33
Get Off My Lawn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

aggie93 said:

Rapier108 said:

This. The Tribune is not someone that is interested in telling both sides of a story or getting to the truth. They want to tear down anything Republican and they hate A&M. It's very possible that this story is true and it happened the way they claim but I put about as much stock in the Tribune as I do a Rolling Stone article on evaluating Donald Trump in an intellectually honest fashion.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"Hi - Dawn Buckingham? Im Kate from the "I hate you rag." Would you be interested in giving a statement that we can contort or mischaracterize in our next attack piece? No? Ok - we'll just paint it like you're trying to hide, then."

Don't complain about it being one-sided if you're going to make excuses for the people preventing it from being two-sided.

But this does raise an interesting point. On numerous occasions I've done stories where one side refuses to speak, only to be shocked when I ran the story. The complaint is then that we're being "one-sided." That's not how this works, bra. You can't kill a story by refusing to tell your side of it.
"Stories." You're pretending that this is journalism. It isn't. The Tribune and (as with most legacy media) sold itself to the leftist narrative a long time ago.

Propagandists run propaganda. You push it because it's on your side, but it's dying under its own reputational collapse.

In a post-truth society with free media - the only hope for longevity that print media HAD was in being a source of truth. But you highlight WITH YOUR ASSERTION just another of the failure points in play: "if you don't cooperate with me, I'll just run with the opposition's perspective."

That's vindictiveness - not journalism. Your inability to differentiate the two is quite telling.

If cooperation was needed for journalists to do their jobs, journalism wouldn't exist. The whole point of investigative journalism is the work that people wont cooperate on.
You spontaneously admitted to spurning those who don't cooperate with you through one-sided reporting! Now you want to pretend you're an ethical investigative truth-speaker?!

And you're upset that folks aren't taking you out your revered paper seriously?!? Look in a mirror! YOU are what's wrong with modern "journalism!"
Sorry, but denying to take part in a story does not kill a story any more than a child putting his fingers in his ears and screaming kills a parental punishment. If you find that to be a problem, then your problem isn't with me or with journalism but something much deeper: the tenets of writing.

For sure, it makes the work harder. The next time I do a story where an entity is willing to discuss its nefarious actions in a story about its nefarious actions will be a first (or close to it). But that is why you have things like FOIA requests and such that can dig for reporters. But if entities cooperated with investigations, you wouldn't need the investigation to begin with.

The U.S. is actually fairly unique in this regard. There aren't many nations that have instilled channels for media to go through to get information that can directly hurt the nation. The First Amendment is a beautiful thing.
BluHorseShu
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

…even with the lack of information, isn't this the proper sequence of events? Allegation of impropriety > temporary status and investigation > insufficient findings > restoration of status quo.

The entire question is whether the allegation was worthy of investigation and that's the detail that's omitted!

The "bad look for A&M" comes from the Tribune publishing an incomplete story. Which should reflect more on that "institution" than our own.
Man, either people aren't reading the whole story (from more than just the Tribune). or they just can't bring themselves to admit this was a bad look in the wake of the other. A student made an unfounded accusation and happened to be the daughter of a big wig friend of Patricks. Patricks calls Sharp to say "she said something mean" and Sharp started a formal investigation. If that's all it takes for an investigation and scary the crap out of a non-tenure employ, then Texas universities are going to have a hard time recruiting faculty.
Restoration of status quo absolutely doesn't mean there was no damage done.

If it was criticism by a perceived conservative faculty member of a democrat in the Texas senate and they went thru this, everyone here would be up in arms...Including me. If one student can make this type accusation and it gets the Lt Gov involved something is wrong with our system. The allegation was absolutely not worthy of investigation. Unless criticizing government officials is a fireable offense.

If you think the story is incomplete...please share the remainder of the details.
BBRex
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

The problem is that the professor has both First Amendment rights, but also academic freedom.
Quote:

3. Speech by professors in the classroom at public institutions is thus often protected under both the First Amendment and the professional concept of academic freedom if the speech is "germane to the subject matter."
Quote:

a. See, e.g., Hardy v. Jefferson Community College , 260 F.3d 671 (6th Cir. 2001), cert. denied , 535 U.S. 970 (2002) ("Reasonable school officials should have known that . . . speech, when it is germane to the classroom subject matter and advances an academic message, is protected by the First Amendment."); Bonnell v. Lorenzo , 241 F.3d 800 (6th Cir.), cert. denied , 534 U.S. 951 (2001) (concluding that, "[w]hile a professor's rights to academic freedom and freedom of expression are paramount in the academic setting, they are not absolute to the point of compromising a student's right to learn in a hostile-free environment," and finding professor's use of vulgar language "not germane to the subject matter").

https://www.aaup.org/academic-freedom-students-and-professors-and-political-discrimination

She might have grounds for a lawsuit.
Dimebag Darrell
barbacoa taco said:

Conservative cancel culture is out of control
LOL this is absurd. It's like Nazis in the 1940's saying antisemitism is out of control in the United States.

Try harder.
BassCowboy33
Get Off My Lawn said:

Yeah, I know, arguing I the internet with strangers and all. And him being 12 (class of '33) makes it all the worse. But if the board doesn't poke holes in propaganda it lingers as the narrative of record.
I've discovered that while it's hard to keep a messageboard discussion civil, those same discussions actually make great progress in person.

Can't remember the last time I got into a yelling match with someone over politics. It's a lot easier to glean how other people think across a table than a computer. I try to consciously think of that in these discussions because I'm as susceptible as any to resorting to name-calling and mudslinging.
BassCowboy33
BluHorseShu said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Man, either people aren't reading the whole story (from more than just the Tribune). or they just can't bring themselves to admit this was a bad look in the wake of the other. A student made an unfounded accusation and happened to be the daughter of a big wig friend of Patricks. Patricks calls Sharp to say "she said something mean" and Sharp started a formal investigation. If that's all it takes for an investigation and scary the crap out of a non-tenure employ, then Texas universities are going to have a hard time recruiting faculty.

If it was criticism by a perceived conservative faculty member of a democrat in the Texas senate and they went thru this, everyone here would be up in arms...Including me. If one student can make this type accusation and it gets the Lt Gov involved something is wrong with our system. The allegation was absolutely not worthy of investigation. Unless criticizing government officials is a fireable offense.

If you think the story is incomplete...please share the remainder of the details.
At some point, I'd love to do a messageboard test where the thread title says one thing and the article says the opposite, just to see how many people read the article, lol. Again, I'm not always immune to that problem.
Robert L. Peters
Liberty and free speech are under serious threat. Both sides have fully embraced the state. The only difference is WHY they want the state. Very similar to the left right authoritarianism of the 30s
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
UTExan
Any time conservatives try to censor non-violent speech, we fall into that fine old category leftists love to use: fascism.
The western political state is made up of many interest groups who have (theoretically) rights to express vastly differing viewpoints. I don't want Texas state government to censor any medical or policy criticism by retaliating against a speaker. This is California level sleaziness if it happened as reported. If speech is used by a public employee for partisan matters, then sanctions should apply. But policy differences grounded in facts should be free speech.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
DTP02
AG
I don't have any specific insights on this matter.

But UTMB actually censured the speaker, right? Not sure why that isn't a bigger part of the story.

And A&M cleared her?

Suspending with pay is a CYA move which allows time to gather facts and showing you're doing something without actually doing any damage.

IF the Tribune article is fairly accurate, and it should be noted that even propaganda rags like the Tribune will occasionally get facts right, then it seems somewhat likely that a possibly exaggerated (just because that's how the grapevine tends to operate, which is even more likely the case where the personal feelings of the eyewitness was involved) account of what was said made its way to Patrick, and then to Sharp.

Sharp, possibly getting an exaggerated recount of what happened (unknown, but highly plausible), took steps to show a key cog in A&M's funding that A&M was taking the matter seriously.

But the prof was given due process and, presumably correctly, it was determined that whatever she said wasn't enough for any action to be taken against her.

You can argue that it should have been investigated without the temporary suspension, and that's where I would tend to fall, but we don't know what the prof actually said and, more importantly from the A&M perspective we don't know what Sharp was told.

I don't see this as a major offense on A&M's part given where things ended up and the parties involved. Having one level of escalation more on A&M's side than it probably should have been doesn't seem particularly egregious under the circumstances.
Dimebag Darrell
The Green Dragon said:

Liberty and free speech are under serious threat. Both sides have fully embraced the state. The only difference is WHY they want the state. Very similar to the left right authoritarianism of the 30s
I disagree, it is FAR FAR more rampant from the left. I won't even get into how the FBI literally colluded with big tech and media companies to influence an election. This has been proven.

I just can't stand blatantly false equivalencies.
nortex97
AG
Yep. Nothing about this, other than lazy, inaccurate, gotcha-style reporting (aka propaganda) by a publication clearly animated to target TAMU and conservatives in Texas in general, imputes any guilt toward the school/system/politicians involved.

Albatross Necklace
Give it a week and video will emerge of Alonzo ranting about how Paxton is responsible for millions of deaths.
Jabin
Bass, there's another reason that sources don't respond to emails or requests to talk - they don't trust the reporter or the publication.

I've had quite a bit of experience with media. Some media are fair and honest. But others, like the Tribune, have the opposite reputation. They'll misquote you, partially quote you, and not quote you at all. They start with the story they're going to write and then do their investigation.

In such situations, it's best not to interact with them at all.
Charpie
AG
nortex97 said:

Yep. Nothing about this, other than lazy, inaccurate, gotcha-style reporting (aka propaganda) by a publication clearly animated to target TAMU and conservatives in Texas in general, imputes any guilt toward the school/system/politicians involved.
Boy..talk about only wanting to see what one WANTS to see
EclipseAg
AG
Jabin said:

I've had quite a bit of experience with media. Some media are fair and honest. But others, like the Tribune, have the opposite reputation. They'll misquote you, partially quote you, and not quote you at all. They start with the story they're going to write and then do their investigation.

Yep.

The Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect is very real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Crichton#GellMannAmnesiaEffect
Get Off My Lawn
nortex97 said:

Heck - I wouldn't even claim "nothing about this" at this point! Perhaps there was butt hurt and overstep! But the critical pieces here are
A. What was said
B. What was alleged to have been said.

Without those tidbits - it's not possible to make an informed judgement on the actions of involved parties.

Those are the critical facts which a reputable paper would ensure to be front and center in the story prior to publication…
nortex97
AG
Agreed. This is a tabloid/internet message board type of slam, devoid of any useful data points other than 'conservatives/TAMU bad.'

It's just silliness, imho.
jrdaustin
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

BassCowboy33 said:

aggie93 said:

Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What complete and utter BS! Your comments and posts are the exact reason why journalism has lost nearly all credibility over the last few years.

One sided? Both Buckingham AND Alonzo, among others, declined to comment or be interviewed for the story, but that didn't stop the Tribune from building a narrative to pile on to Buckingham, Patrick and A&M.

It also didn't stop you from alleging in your initial post that Buckingham "tried to get Alonzo fired".

I've seen nothing in the article that states what the initial comment was in the presentation, or what the conversations between Buckingham and Sharp were. All we know for sure is UTMB issued a censure, and A&M initiated an investigation in response to UTMB's censure. It's pretty apparent everything beyond that is conjecture on your part and the Tribune's part.

And yet you want to hide behind the fact that Buckingham declined to comment in order to push the favored narrative. Pretty pathetic on your part.
BluHorseShu
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

BluHorseShu said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

At some point, I'd love to do a messageboard test where the thread title says one thing and the article says the opposite, just to see how many people read the article, lol. Again, I'm not always immune to that problem.
Actually, its pretty simple...If the readers of the OP perceive in anyway an attack on anything conservative, they will argue the exact opposite in light of all the opposing information. Very few people on online forums have the ability to say "I'm a liberal/conservative and this situation was a not a good look for our side". Very few actually have good faith discussions anymore. Its about beating the other side and never admitting they could be wrong. The funny thing is , this was more about personalities than politics. Criticizing the LTG for not pushing a policy through that some believe helps the fentanyl crisis is the very essence of what freedom of this country should be...Especially if your job is to research said policies.
Based on the posts here, most don't get it...they just want to argue with who ever they see to be the opposing side.
barbacoa taco
AG
nortex97 said:

You can whine about the source and "muh soros" all you want. A&M had the chance to not bring this attention on itself and failed... again. Because apparently a state leader's hurt feelings is a really serious issue we need to address.

A&M keeps shooting itself in the foot. The proper response when Dawn "Karen" Buckingham called the swamp creature John Sharp should have been "... ok, and?" and then hang up. Really, we're going to investigate a professor for making a reasoned criticism of a state leader? Are we all that thin skinned?
barbacoa taco
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

barbacoa taco said:

LOL this is absurd. It's like Nazis in the 1940's saying antisemitism is out of control in the United States.

Try harder.
It's a problem whether you continue to deny it or not.

Dan Patrick is an especially awful offender. He tries to silence anyone who dares criticize him.
Dimebag Darrell
barbacoa taco said:

barbacoa taco said:

Try harder.

Dan Patrick is an especially awful offender. He tries to silence anyone who dares criticize him.
Nah, this is the one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen on Texags in a few days...

Quote:

Sea Speed
AG
Most importantly, is this first year med student Karen hot or what?
Get Off My Lawn
barbacoa taco said:

barbacoa taco said:

Try harder.

The scheister in me wants to see this post wiped by WatchOle … just to give it a patina of truth!
jrdaustin
AG
barbacoa taco said:

barbacoa taco said:

Try harder.

Yes, based on the cracker jack investigative article, assassin Dan Patrick's COS, simply emailed a professional bio of his target to Sharp, an act that those in the know tell us is code for "begin a firing investigation at once! Silence my opponent!".

That's literally all it takes to demonstrate the awesome power of Dan Patrick.

Surely no jump to conclusions here, folks.
BassCowboy33
TChaney said:

You guys are arguing with a miniature reporter... expecting him to be objective about modern day editorials pretending to be news is just not possible.

He's an award winning propagandist

Hell, he even quotes his own Twitter account here on TexAgs like he "found" this Tweet from some random reporter. Just like the Aggieland Board and KBTX - he probably uses this site for his articles.
Ok, I found this funny and am totally making an abbreviated version of this my signature.

aTm2004
AG
1. UTMB alum's daughter is present for lecture
2. Said daughter contacts mom about comments
3. UTMB alum reaches out to Patrick
4. Patrick reaches out to Sharp and UT's board chair
5. A&M investigates, finds nothing, and closes investigation
6. UTMB censures
7. People blame A&M
Albatross Necklace
Aren't all classes available by Zoom since Covid?

I don't believe Tribune's "no one knows what was said" lie
yawny06
AG
Quote:

I mean, you completely left out the actual reason Texas A&M did what it did, and then reduced it to saying it was because Sharp got a text.

Quote:

"The statements made by the guest lecturer do not represent the opinion or position of the University of Texas Medical Branch, nor are they considered as core curriculum content for this course," the email said.

"UTMB does not support or condone these comments. We take these matters very seriously and wish to express our disapproval of the comment and apologize for harm it may have caused for members of our community," the email continued. "We hereby issue a formal censure of these statements and will take steps to ensure that such behavior does not happen in the future."

But somehow, despite the fact the University of Texas Medical Board issued a public censure of the visiting professor, A&M is the bad guy in the article that presents itself as objective "journalism".
TAMU1990
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.