Texas Tribune article regarding suspension of A&M prof -- Ed. by Staff

10,476 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by doubledog
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yawny06 said:

Quote:

If you think the story is incomplete...please share the remainder of the details.

I mean, you completely left out the actual reason Texas A&M did what it did, and then reduced it to saying it was because Sharp got a text.

Quote:

"The statements made by the guest lecturer do not represent the opinion or position of the University of Texas Medical Branch, nor are they considered as core curriculum content for this course," the email said.

"UTMB does not support or condone these comments. We take these matters very seriously and wish to express our disapproval of the comment and apologize for harm it may have caused for members of our community," the email continued. "We hereby issue a formal censure of these statements and will take steps to ensure that such behavior does not happen in the future."

But somehow, despite the fact the University of Texas Medical Board issued a public censure of the visiting professor, A&M is the bad guy in the article that presents itself as objective "journalism".

The suspension by A&M would seem to be worse than the censure by UTMB. But, as stated earlier, I'm not convinced A&M acted out of anything other than fear of state repercussion.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Should've put her on double secret probation, and none of this would've gotten out.
yawny06
AG
Laughable…UTMB publicly censures an A&M professor and A&M shouldn't look into at all.

There are legitimate concerns and complaints here. What Texas A&M did response to the censure issued by UTMB is not one of them.
TAMU1990
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Liberty and free speech are under serious threat. Both sides have fully embraced the state. The only difference is WHY they want the state. Very similar to the left right authoritarianism of the 30s
This is so hyperbolic. You don't have to go back to the 30's. You are avoiding the very recent example of the government suppressing and censoring media in favor of democrats for years - culminating with the cancellation of the Hunter Laptop story.

A&M has fired professors before for speech in the classroom. Castro for threatening Catholic Priests and Curry for saying kill white people. Alvard should of been fired for organizing the unrest on campus in 2020 with Batt staff to form a circular reporting squad to report on "organic" uprising, He also used railroad chalk throughout campus. He was put on notice for those actions. Free speech isn't absolute.
Robert L. Peters
Just ignore my post. It was posted in bad form. I take back what I said. We are actually at the apex of free speech in western society. And the idea that people are moving to extreme polar positions? More crap on my part.

I'm not sure how I could be so wrong. But was glad that I had you to clear me up. Could you PM me so I can check my posts prior to publication?
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Charpie
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Just ignore my post. It was posted in bad form. I take back what I said. We are actually at the apex of free speech in western society. And the idea that people are moving to extreme polar positions? More crap on my part.

I'm not sure how I could be so wrong. But was glad that I had you to clear me up. Could you PM me so I can check my posts prior to publication?

You are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters
Logos Stick
Charpie said:

The Green Dragon said:

You are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters

Logos Stick
The Green Dragon said:

Both sides have fully embraced the state.

Gigem314
AG
So UTMB publicly censures an A&M professor, so shame on A&M instead of the UT System?

Outstandingly accurate reporting as always from the Texas Tribune. Zero agenda whatsoever.
TAMU1990
AG
The Green Dragon said:

No problem. I'll proofread anytime you wish.
aTm2004
AG
Gigem314 said:

So UTMB publicly censures an A&M professor, so shame on A&M instead of the UT System?

Outstandingly accurate reporting as always from the Texas Tribune. Zero agenda whatsoever.

That's my issue. This all started with a UTMB student and a UTMB alum reaching out to Dan Patrick. But A&M is at fault for looking into the claims when DP reached out to Sharp? Da **** outta here.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Gig 'em! '90
TexanButNotAnAggie
Was the censure public? I would like to read the accusations made by UTMB. Anyone have a copy?
yawny06
AG
Quote:

"By the close of the day, McGinnis decided to put Alonzo on paid leave and investigate to determine what really happened," Copelin said in a statement.

As the situation developed, A&M officials updated Patrick and his team.

At 4:43 p.m., just 15 minutes after UTMB sent its official censure letter, Jones alerted Patrick's deputy chief of staff, Marian Wallace, that the investigation was underway.

"joy alonzo placed on administrative leave pending firing investigation this week js," read the message from Jones obtained by the Tribune through a public records request.

Copelin said the university's handling of the complaint against Alonzo followed standard procedure and appropriately updated the relevant lawmakers on the investigation's progress.

"The investigation into the matter was a reasonable step to take, particularly after UTMB issued a public statement 'censuring' one of our faculty members," he said. "In fact, it would have been irresponsible not to look into it."

It was public.

Sharp is not the one who decided to suspend her with pay.

Texas A&M University followed its policies and procedures when something like this happens.

The choice of the headline was piss poor, and can only be interpreted as a direct and purposeful attack against A&M.
Gigem314
AG
aTm2004 said:

Gigem314 said:

That's my issue. This all started with a UTMB student and a UTMB alum reaching out to Dan Patrick. But A&M is at fault for looking into the claims when DP reached out to Sharp? Da **** outta here.
And people are naive enough to believe that it was A&M that did all this, 'cause the Texas Tribune said so.
TexanButNotAnAggie
Ok.I would like to see a copy of the censure letter, written by someone at UTMB. If they publicly accused her in March, then I'm not sure why this was not publicly known in March.
Can anyone find the UTMB letter?
hoosier-daddy
Just saw this story on the Yallitics tv show. WTF is wrong with out school.
mmmvegas
AG
Here is a link to the General Counsel's report for anyone still keeping score.

https://www.tamus.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/5-OGC-Report-on-Alonzo-Matter-8-3-2023.pdf
sonnysixkiller
AG
Where does that million come from ?
C@LAg
sonnysixkiller said:

Where does that million come from ?
petty cash

that works on two levels.
Rongagin71
AG
Sorry I missed this discussion and started a new one, but it quickly got blocked.
My point was that if A&M is giving away cash (no court case, no court order) then how about giving some to the Asian and White Males deliberately discriminated against by DEI?
There needs to be someone keeping a record of "who has applied and were not hired" if that is all it takes to get a big payday.
doubledog
yawny06 said:

Quote:

"By the close of the day, McGinnis decided to put Alonzo on paid leave and investigate to determine what really happened," Copelin said in a statement.

As the situation developed, A&M officials updated Patrick and his team.

At 4:43 p.m., just 15 minutes after UTMB sent its official censure letter, Jones alerted Patrick's deputy chief of staff, Marian Wallace, that the investigation was underway.

"joy alonzo placed on administrative leave pending firing investigation this week js," read the message from Jones obtained by the Tribune through a public records request.

Copelin said the university's handling of the complaint against Alonzo followed standard procedure and appropriately updated the relevant lawmakers on the investigation's progress.

"The investigation into the matter was a reasonable step to take, particularly after UTMB issued a public statement 'censuring' one of our faculty members," he said. "In fact, it would have been irresponsible not to look into it."

It was public.

Sharp is not the one who decided to suspend her with pay.

Texas A&M University followed its policies and procedures when something like this happens.

The choice of the headline was piss poor, and can only be interpreted as a direct and purposeful attack against A&M.
If Alonzo was representing TAMU in an official capacity, then the actions of TAMU were justified. If not then it was an infringement of academic freedom. That is the real issue that the Texas Tribune failed to cover.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.