Texas beaches are poop!

4,939 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag with kids
Jim Hogg is angry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/environment/2023/07/10/most-texas-beaches-pose-safety-risks-due-to-high-fecal-bacteria-levels-report-says
TxTarpon
Sure explains the smell.

DrEvazanPhD
Guess that explains the joyous shade of Galveston brown
GoodBullShark
AG
They say this every year in the heat of the simmer.
TRADUCTOR
Everybody needs to stay away from the poop beaches. Go far away.
aggie93
AG
If you read deep into the article it sounds like beaches just about everywhere have the same problem. It's not really a Texas issue. It's also very complex and I wonder how sensitive the settings really are. It sounds terrible but you have fecal matter technically everywhere in the air and water and ground. Sounds like they also are spending billions on the problem but they are saying we need to spend hundreds of billions and I am guessing this "Non profit" is funded by companies and people that would benefit if it goes from $11 Billion to $270 Billion as they propose.

Sorry I just don't jump on outrage articles like this anymore, they make me more skeptical than ever. Takes more than one source with an agenda.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
BQ_90
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

not really it's because of the Trinity and Brazos rivers or the sediments that flow out of those rivers on constant basis.
Rapier108
IIRC, this study is by an environmentalist group that makes the same claim on a regular basis.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Gigem314
AG
Yeah, not surprising.

JohnLA762
AG
Me to all the LOLPoors going to the Texas coast for vacay:

BQ_90
AG
They don't mention that wildlife can also be a source of fecal coliform in the water
TheEternalPessimist
I love being a native Texan and am proud to be one.....

....but Texas beaches are nothing compared to the beaches from Gulf Shores, AL all the way to Mexico Beach, FL. Floribama Coast is paradise!
JW
AG
where do fish poop
Kenneth_2003
AG
Need to better potty train the fish
CanyonAg77
AG
Floods in the Hereford, Texas area, filled Buffalo Lake (National Wildlife Refuge) for the first time in 30 years, and water is being released down Tierra Blanca Creek, thus Palo Duro Creek, and into Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

Warnings are up all over the place about the contaminated water, but I can't find anywhere that the water has actually been tested.

I think everyone is making assumptions and being too lazy to test.
TX04Aggie
AG
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other/over-half-of-new-york-s-beaches-contaminated-with-poop-report/ar-AA1dGNjK

[url=https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other/over-half-of-new-york-s-beaches-contaminated-with-poop-report/ar-AA1dGNjK][/url]Every coastal state is running with this story on their own beaches.
whatthehey78
AG
BQ_90 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

not really it's because of the Trinity and Brazos rivers or the sediments that flow out of those rivers on constant basis.
...and the Colorado. More silt and sediment than fecal matter that produces the yellowish/brown color. If it were predominantly fecal matter, we would be experiencing a lot more hepatitis cases. The bigger danger in Tex. Gulf Coast waters is heavy metals and industrial pollutants from the Houston to Corpus Christi coastal industries.
Oyster eaters, beware!
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Bird Poo
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

....but Texas beaches are nothing compared to the beaches from Gulf Shores, AL all the way to Mexico Beach, FL. Floribama Coast is paradise!
Our beaches will never be that clean due to the multiple river systems dumping into the SE Texas Coast.

TX04Aggie
AG
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/boston/news/dangerously-high-levels-of-human-waste-found-at-50-massachusetts-beaches/

[url=https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/boston/news/dangerously-high-levels-of-human-waste-found-at-50-massachusetts-beaches/][/url]Add M*******s to poopy beach list.
Dimebag Darrell
Was just at Crystal Beach with the fam this weekend and had an amazing time. That being said, there were tons of clusters of little uniform brown pellet looking things lining the shoreline at the water's edge. Looked like fish poop to me but anyone know for sure?
Ol_Ag_02
AG

You misspelled the Caribbean.
frenchtoast
Brings back memories of getting ****faced on spring break
Owlagdad

Yeah, I agree. But where on those beaches can you pull up in your car on the beach, drive your new rv with dealer tags for a weeks stay right near high tide, have a panchanga right there next to a wedding from the million dollar condos, people of all races and social status getting along, black kids drinking with frats under the Trump flags, and most of all always finding someone fatter than you swimming on Sunday afternoon in their dress or dress pants.
Puro playas de Tejas!!
P.S- can't even body surf in those ripples on those white beaches.
TAMU1990
AG
Owlagdad said:

Yeah, I agree. But where on those beaches can you pull up in your car on the beach, drive your new rv with dealer tags for a weeks stay right near high tide, have a panchanga right there next to a wedding from the million dollar condos, people of all races and social status getting along, black kids drinking with frats under the Trump flags, and most of all always finding someone fatter than you swimming on Sunday afternoon in their dress or dress pants.
Puro playas de Tejas!!

Perfectly described Port Aransas - which I will be visiting in a few weeks. I like driving on the beach. The beach comes alive at sunset with the golf carts blasting all kinds of music.
DallasAg 94
Funky Winkerbean
AG
How many environmental articles are positive?
B-1 83
AG
BQ_90 said:

They don't mention that wildlife can also be a source of fecal coliform in the water
The Corpus beaches mentioned were bay beaches that reflect all the crap that flows from yards and streets, along with lots of hogs in the area. I would suspect the gulf beaches are considerably better.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TAMU1990 said:

Owlagdad said:

Puro playas de Tejas!!

Perfectly described Port Aransas - which I will be visiting in a few weeks. I like driving on the beach. The beach comes alive at sunset with the golf carts blasting all kinds of music.

Nothing makes being out in nature better than a lifted golf cart, the competing sounds of Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line, and lukewarm whiteclaws.
DallasAg 94
schmellba99
AG
BQ_90 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

It's because of the Mississippi more than anything. Trinity dumps into Trinity and Galveston bay and the Brazos silt is carried south along the coast.

You can thank the Army Corps of Engineers for f'ng up our beaches more than nature would because they channelize the Miss. river and spend billions keeping it from changing course into the Atchaflaya basin like it wants to.
BQ_90
AG
B-1 83 said:

BQ_90 said:

The Corpus beaches mentioned were bay beaches that reflect all the crap that flows from yards and streets, along with lots of hogs in the area. I would suspect the gulf beaches are considerably better.
but further up the coast, like Galveston you're getting outflows from Trinity/Brazos

I was at some Carter's Creek meetings here in Bryan, one thing they realized is bunch of monitors would go off or had high fecal coliform readings at the stations on hwy 6 because of all the birds that nest under the bypass bridge that goes over Carters creek. Also from all the houses along the creek in Bryan

it's a gotcha headline without any real data or explanation, just trying to scare people
schmellba99
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Floods in the Hereford, Texas area, filled Buffalo Lake (National Wildlife Refuge) for the first time in 30 years, and water is being released down Tierra Blanca Creek, thus Palo Duro Creek, and into Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

Warnings are up all over the place about the contaminated water, but I can't find anywhere that the water has actually been tested.

I think everyone is making assumptions and being too lazy to test.
Ehh, pretty safe assumption with flood waters because it comes from all kinds of sources, and often ends up overwhelming the sanitary sewer systems.

Roads, parking lots, etc. all produce "contaminated" water every time it rains by their very nature. Urban areas produce contaminated water, ag areas do as well because of fertilizer or chemical runoff.

It's not going to kill you like radioactive water from the cartoons or anything though.
BQ_90
AG
schmellba99 said:

BQ_90 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

It's because of the Mississippi more than anything. Trinity dumps into Trinity and Galveston bay and the Brazos silt is carried south along the coast.

You can thank the Army Corps of Engineers for f'ng up our beaches more than nature would because they channelize the Miss. river and spend billions keeping it from changing course into the Atchaflaya basin like it wants to.
not really, you don't build beaches with silt (well not white sand beaches which is what everyone wants based on the responses in this thread)

if they let the MS outflow further south it might screw up those beaches in SW LA but it wouldn't impact Galveston at all,
schmellba99
AG
BQ_90 said:

B-1 83 said:

BQ_90 said:

but further up the coast, like Galveston you're getting outflows from Trinity/Brazos

I was at some Carter's Creek meetings here in Bryan, one thing they realized is bunch of monitors would go off or had high fecal coliform readings at the stations on hwy 6 because of all the birds that nest under the bypass bridge that goes over Carters creek. Also from all the houses along the creek in Bryan

it's a gotcha headline without any real data or explanation, just trying to scare people
Not really. Currents in the gulf take water from east to west along the coast.

The San Bernard mouth continually closes because of silt from the Brazos. Galveston gets almost zero effect from the Brazos and very minimal from the Trinity because of how far away the mouth is in the bay system and the fact that the marshlands in the upper east bay system do what they are designed to do - which is filter out most sediments.

Again - it's the Mississippi that has more effect on easter Texas beaches than all Texas rivers combined.
schmellba99
AG
BQ_90 said:

schmellba99 said:

BQ_90 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

not really, you don't build beaches with silt (well not white sand beaches which is what everyone wants based on the responses in this thread)

if they let the MS outflow further south it might screw up those beaches in SW LA but it wouldn't impact Galveston at all,
100% wrong

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.