Texas beaches are poop!

4,946 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ag with kids
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
schmellba99 said:

BQ_90 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Guess that explains the joyous shade of Galveston brown
not really it's because of the Trinity and Brazos rivers or the sediments that flow out of those rivers on constant basis.
It's because of the Mississippi more than anything. Trinity dumps into Trinity and Galveston bay and the Brazos silt is carried south along the coast.

You can thank the Army Corps of Engineers for f'ng up our beaches more than nature would because they channelize the Miss. river and spend billions keeping it from changing course into the Atchaflaya basin like it wants to.

Well, at least there's a reason. A crappy one, but still.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Secolobo
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

I love being a native Texan and am proud to be one.....

....but Texas beaches are nothing compared to the beaches from Gulf Shores, AL all the way to Mexico Beach, FL. Floribama Coast is paradise!
There's this thing between us called the Mississippi River...

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/2979

Breggy Popup
AG
schmellba99 said:

BQ_90 said:

B-1 83 said:

BQ_90 said:

They don't mention that wildlife can also be a source of fecal coliform in the water
The Corpus beaches mentioned were bay beaches that reflect all the crap that flows from yards and streets, along with lots of hogs in the area. I would suspect the gulf beaches are considerably better.
but further up the coast, like Galveston you're getting outflows from Trinity/Brazos

I was at some Carter's Creek meetings here in Bryan, one thing they realized is bunch of monitors would go off or had high fecal coliform readings at the stations on hwy 6 because of all the birds that nest under the bypass bridge that goes over Carters creek. Also from all the houses along the creek in Bryan

it's a gotcha headline without any real data or explanation, just trying to scare people
Not really. Currents in the gulf take water from east to west along the coast.

The San Bernard mouth continually closes because of silt from the Brazos. Galveston gets almost zero effect from the Brazos and very minimal from the Trinity because of how far away the mouth is in the bay system and the fact that the marshlands in the upper east bay system do what they are designed to do - which is filter out most sediments.

Again - it's the Mississippi that has more effect on easter Texas beaches than all Texas rivers combined.

Yep. That's why as soon as you get east of the Mississippi you get to nice beaches and water at Gulf Shores, Destin, PCB, etc.
SuhrThang
What else is new? Plus the water is brown…
“A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one”
WHOOP!'91
AG
Bird Poo said:

....but Texas beaches are nothing compared to the beaches from Gulf Shores, AL all the way to Mexico Beach, FL. Floribama Coast is paradise!
Our beaches will never be that clean due to the multiple river systems dumping into the SE Texas Coast.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Mississippi River yet. That's a biggie and the main reason you see blue water and white-sand beaches to the east of the mouth of the Mississippi.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

You misspelled the Caribbean.
The Gulf Shores are essentially the same type of beach as the ones in Jamaica, just not as steep.
HumpitPuryear
AG
A lot of that e-coli is agricultural. Where do you think cow **** goes when it rains? We get e-coli alerts on lake LBJ every time the llano floods. All of Texas drains into the gulf. Thats a lot of animal poop.
milner79
We have identified the source ...

Houston Lee
AG
Just swim in a swimming pool. Lakes, rivers and the ocean have alot of stuff in it you don't really want to know about.
cevans_40
AG
Doinked Field Goal said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/environment/2023/07/10/most-texas-beaches-pose-safety-risks-due-to-high-fecal-bacteria-levels-report-says

Duh.

It's literally named the Gulf of Mexico.
Ag with kids
AG
JohnLA762 said:

Me to all the LOLPoors going to the Texas coast for vacay:

Am I really on vacay when that Texas beach is a 3 min drive from my house on NPI?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.