texas schools running deficit to give themselves raises

8,989 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Pinochet
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pinochet said:

BBRex said:

There's a statewide teacher shortage. They are trying to hold on to the teachers they have. The way school districts are set up in Texas, there can be a bit of competition in the urban areas. Houston has more than 20 in the metro area. If a district doesn't keep up in pay, they lose teachers. I'm guessing Fort Worth is the same way. And the state isn't doing much to help, either.

They got their COL adjustment to one of the richest retirement packages out there. There's plenty of financial compensation for teachers. Guess they need still need that sweet, sweet victimhood though.
If your organization starts losing employees and is struggling to find the right people to hire, what does it do besides improving compensation and benefits for difficult-to-fill positions? Some districts are trying to sweeten the pot by offering more days off, but that can create problems, too.
oldag941
AG
I wasn't aware of a sweet retirement package or plan. What is typical for a career public Ed teacher?
Pinochet
oldag941 said:

I wasn't aware of a sweet retirement package or plan. What is typical for a career public Ed teacher?

Texas TRS pays a yearly defined benefit pension of 2.3% X years of service X average 3 highest years comp. And now it's increased each year by a COL formula that removes the impact of inflation. I don't even know anyone who still has a pension, but the present value of this is huge. Add saving something like the rest of us and you can live pretty comfortably in retirement.
Pinochet
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

That is for retired teachers, not for current teachers.

The state government recognized that teacher pay needed to be raised but they connected it to School Choice vouchers.

I hope you don't teach math. Tell me you don't know how present value of future cash flows is calculated without telling me…
Caliber
AG
Pinochet said:

oldag941 said:

Texas TRS pays a yearly defined benefit pension of 2.3% X years of service X average 3 highest years comp. And now it's increased each year by a COL formula that removes the impact of inflation. I don't even know anyone who still has a pension, but the present value of this is huge. Add saving something like the rest of us and you can live pretty comfortably in retirement.
You sure about that annual increase? Pretty sure all that was passed was a 1 time increase to the baseline, not an annual COLA?
Pinochet
And what makes you think that after 84% voted yes to making a "one time" COLA increase because those poor teachers are getting exactly what they were originally promised, we won't see it over and over?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.