Should adultery be illegal?

15,722 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Bob Lee
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Should adultery (specifically, someone that is married having sex with someone they're not married to) be illegal? I don't think it should be, but I asked one of my friends and he said he wouldn't be opposed to it being illegal, although he didn't know what the punishment should be. What are your thoughts?
ntxVol
Human nature, people should be free to choose. Keep the government out of people's private affairs. Pun intended.
TheBonifaceOption
First, rid no fault divorce. Make breaking a vow mean something. We have thrown out all virtue like integrity, commitment, and honesty for satanic (yes, I said satanic) libertine values.

Secondly, if adultery is proven, the assets and custody awarded to the innocent spouse should be whip enough. Prison or anything of that nature is redundant, and excuses the offender from their responsibilities to their children.

(Edit: just saw the reply, we need to embrace human nature, haha yes society should devolve into human excrement rather than hold to objective standards.)
Sq 17
in a way it used to be , Being a philanderer or divorced carried a significant social stigma

Normalizing divorce might be as bad for society as normalizing out of wedlock children
A significant % of divorces start from somebody committing adultery
AggDogg61
If you married a girl from the south, you would be in trouble. The majority of southern girls know how to shoot.
Waffledynamics
AG
I say leave it up to the states. That said, I do think there should be severe penalties for adultery. There should also be significant reforms to our family law system to remedy the imbalance favoring women.
ChemEAg08
AG
No it shouldn't be illegal, but it would be socially condemned by a God fearing society.
ttu_85
Adultery is very destructive to kids, to other family members, to their spouse. It is rotten act of selfishness. No fault divorce was and is a disaster. If a person is thinking of cheating and there are risk that come with it, they may think twice and work on the problems with their relationship or better yet get help.

There are cases where divorce should be granted but these days, people change spouses like underwear and the kids and the country lose. This whole thing needs to be reformed.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
No. Ask harder questions.
aggiehawg
AG
lethalninja said:

Should adultery (specifically, someone that is married having sex with someone they're not married to) be illegal? I don't think it should be, but I asked one of my friends and he said he wouldn't be opposed to it being illegal, although he didn't know what the punishment should be. What are your thoughts?
Divorce for cause and unequal distribution of assets. Irrespective of which party has the assets and which party strayed?
TheEternalPessimist
Yes
lethalninja
What should the punishment be?
leachfan
This may be the dumbest question ever.
Bob Lee
AG
Yeah, it should be illegal
torrid
AG
leachfan said:

This may be the dumbest question ever.
But it is getting the responses it intended.
MarathonAg12
ntxVol said:

Human nature, people should be free to choose. Keep the government out of people's private affairs. Pun intended.

Having sex with someone other than your wife will get you kicked out of the US Military.

As much as people here like to bash the military these days, that's one value I'm behind.
Win At Life
AG
Adultery should be just as illegal as it should be for your wife to stop having sex with you.
Fenrir
Is this the same poster from last time this exact question was asked?
aggiehawg
AG
Win At Life said:

Adultery should be just as illegal as it should be for your wife to stop having sex with you.
What?
lethalninja
They can also get up to a year in jail.
C@LAg
lethalninja said:

No.
lethalninja
This is the first time I've posted a question about adultery.
MarathonAg12
I didn't read that part of the UCMJ. I better keep it in my pants.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Heaving sex
Heaving? Can I get a translation on that?
Bexar Ag
Why does the religious right always try to ban stuff
TexAgs91
AG
lethalninja said:

Remind me of the main tenet of conservatism? I just want the government to leave me alone? Or are you up there high on that other axis?

I thought the goal was to have a free country.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
StrykerAg
AG
Like heaving hoes
lethalninja
I don't think it should be illegal, but my friend does (or at the very least wouldn't be opposed to it being illegal).
Serious Lee
if we could just legalize dueling, alot of these social problems would fix themselves.
Bexar Ag
Because a lot of people on the right aren't actually conservative. They love bug government as long as it promotes their specific ideals that they approve of. I can name a good chunk of posters on here that would be for making gay marriage, premarital sex, etc… illegal. And make Christianity mandatory for education for all citizens. These people aren't conservative
MarathonAg12
We were just harping on gays for not being monogamous…..why is it any different now?
The Banned
Serious Lee said:

if we could just legalize dueling, alot of these social problems would fix themselves.

You're on to something here
Gunny456
AG
Well it is the 7th Commandment of the 10 given to us as a way to live our lives by our Creator. Just like thal shall not murder, or steal etc.
We will have to answer for it someday.... no matter what our law books say.
If we just abided by those 10 Commandments our country and world would be a much better place.
Bearpitbull
Bexar Ag said:

Because a lot of people on the right aren't actually conservative. They love bug government as long as it promotes their specific ideals that they approve of. I can name a good chunk of posters on here that would be for making gay marriage, premarital sex, etc… illegal. And make Christianity mandatory for education for all citizens. These people aren't conservative

Amen! Give Texas Repubs enough time and they will regulate everything and then spout off five minutes later about freedom. True conservatives on rolling over in their graves.
whatthehey78
AG
aggiehawg said:

lethalninja said:

Divorce for cause and unequal distribution of assets. Irrespective of which party has the assets and which party strayed?
Intelligent response.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.