ERCOT issues request for voluntary conservation

9,916 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Flavius Agximus
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/texas-power-use-break-records-heat-wave-prices-soar-ercot-2023-06-20/

how long until they control our thermostats (as opposed to building new capacity which is sorely needed with the growth in population)
AlaskanAg99
AG
Don't install a smart thermostat*. Pretty easy solution.

*Edit for clarity.
aTm '99
GeorgiAg
AG
Ted Cruz is shopping for plane tix to Cancun.

j/k. Ted has nothing to do with the TX power grid.
AggieVictor10
AG
**** it. Crank up the AC

Edit: **** off, autocorrect.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
45-70Ag
AG
I refused a smart thermostat, they can get bent.
RoadkillBBQ
Remember all you Biden voters, this means you can't plug in your car.
atmtws
AG
*Turns AC down to 68
Squadron7
AG
Ted Lasso told us that A/C is a privilege; not a right.

While flying home in a First Class pod.
FamousAgg
AlaskanAg99 said:

Don't install a smart meter. Pretty easy solution.

Meters are installed by the utility. I don't think most have a choice.
Picard
AG
UninformedInternetBlogger said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

There's a way to block the meter's RF communication when needed. Just can't do it all of the time because then they notice.
Rapier108
Democrats are hoping and praying (to Molech) that the grid collapses.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Picard
AG
For utility controlled smart thermostats, buy a cheap $15 c-wire power transformer and hook it up to that while your own thermostat is hooked up to your air conditioner. The c-wire provides power to their thermostat and lets it communicate back to the utility while controlling nothing. "Install" theirs somewhere warm and out of the way like a closet.

Texasclipper
AG
Better be able to to do the Rf block thing too or they will figure out the fake thermostat thing pretty quickly.
e=mc2
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Swapped mine out.
TexAgs91
AG
No. This is the 21st Century
Fight! Fight! Fight!
LarryElder
Lol ERCOT can't control smart meters it's for easy meter reading lol dummies
No Spin Ag
atmtws said:

*Turns AC down to 68

So. Much. This.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
aggie93
AG
I don't think it's a conspiracy theory when the temps get above 105 that they ask people to voluntarily use less power.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Charpie
AG
This has nothing to do with smart meters.

Did you all even read the article?
ATM9000
AG
2wealfth Man said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/texas-power-use-break-records-heat-wave-prices-soar-ercot-2023-06-20/

how long until they control our thermostats (as opposed to building new capacity which is sorely needed with the growth in population)

Who is the they in this statement and where do 'they' fit into the decision making on building new capacity
AggieVictor10
AG
Charpie said:

This has nothing to do with smart meters.

Did you all even read the article?

We don't want to read the article.

We want to be mad.
hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. good times create weak men. and weak men create hard times.

less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real
Lol,lmao
Fjb
aTm2004
AG
Conserve energy? House just got 5* colder. [/Trump]
AlaskanAg99
AG

AlaskanAg99 said:

Eh. I mean't Smart Thermostat. Most people understood what I was saying. But technically you're right.
aTm '99
Deputy Travis Junior
Just out of curiosity, has the energy chaos of the last few years caused anybody to buy or consider buying solar panels + a battery wall? I lost power for almost a week during the February 2022 mega freeze and never again want to be a slave to the whims of the idiots running these things, so we're buying some to become grid independent.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
AlaskanAg99 said:

Don't install a smart thermostat*. Pretty easy solution.

*Edit for clarity.
This is so tired. I have a smart thermostat. I didn't buy it through my utility, and I DON'T have it connected to anything where my local utility can control it. People whine about their smart thermostat without realizing they are the ones who are consenting to let the utilities mess with it.
deddog
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Eh. I mean't Smart Thermostat. Most people understood what I was saying. But technically you're right.
You should definitely install a smart thermostat, there are a lot of benefits to it.
On the other hand, don't let your city control it.
That is stupid.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
And every charging Electric vehicle uses the same amount or more power than a whole home central air cooling system.

Tesla Charging units

Air Conditioner Watt Use

TyHolden
AG
nortex97
AG
Just dropped my AC to 68 in anticipation of the excitement.
jrdaustin
AG
aggie93 said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory when the temps get above 105 that they ask people to voluntarily use less power.
This. They'll get people to voluntary conserve to the extent that they can. Beyond that, they'll shed load on a circuit basis.

The limit is the limit. When usage approaches capacity they'll shed load.

And a note of warning from a person in the know... Don't rely on current capacity numbers. Much of the available capacity we see on the grid right now is 70+ years old held together by duct tape and bailing wire and we're at the beginning of the season. By August, a significant percentage of the coal and gas capacity will go offline. Happens every year.
ChemEAg08
AG
Leftists love every chance they can try to make another ridiculous remark against Texas.

Bring it, a******.
JB!98
AG
Every damn summer we go through this process of ERCOT and what they are saying and then the speculation. The genesis of the conservation notice was a rolling outage we had to have in spring of 2006. I was working at ERCOT at the time and it caught us flat footed.

The PUC wanted some kind of warning system etc, so the EEA process is refined and made public. Fast forward to winter of 2008??? I am fuzzy on the year, but we had another series of outages that were caused by poorly winterized generators and equipment. PUC says ERCOT you need some interim messaging to the EEA process to get the public to reduce consumption. Thus the "Conservation" message you see now. Also there was a push during this time for voluntary curtailment of firm loads that agreed to be interrupted for a price. Utilities call this demand response. These coupled together were supposed to buy time and reduce the number of rolling outages.

There is nothing abnormal about this messaging and it is just part of the mandated ERCOT process at certain load and reserve capacity points and projections.

All of this is open source through the ERCOT website and pretty easy to understand.

Do we need more base loading generation, ABSOLUTELY. Are we getting base loading generation anytime soon, NO. Get used to the messaging.
BCSWguru
i'll conserve energy when they pay my bill
JB!98
AG
One more rant and I will get off my soap box! The lack of base load generation capacity needs to be treated as an economic emergency at both the State and Federal levels. My current gig requires a lot of power and is very high load factor, 95% +. (This means it uses a consistent amount of power 24 hrs a day/365). Solar and wind are not a solution for us. It is already effecting out ability to provide service to some folks you want to have that service regardless of your political persuasion. We have a substantial amount of capital sitting on the sidelines because of this.

Give me nuclear energy for the win. Build nuclear and then retire low heat rate coal and gas. Don't retire coal and gas until you have a viable solution. - This is what is driving the overall problem right now.
YouBet
AG
All of you m'fers turning your thermostats down to 68. My house can't get below 72 in this heat.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.