ERCOT issues request for voluntary conservation

9,936 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Flavius Agximus
El_duderino
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SMR's at existing coal sites and new locations is a win win
Logos Stick
Well, the wind doesn't blow as much in the summer.
JB!98
AG
El_duderino said:

SMR's at existing coal sites and new locations is a win win
I am open to anything at this point. We are encouraging our utility partners to gassify former coal facilities. The substation and transmission infrastructure is already there. They just need to do something.
Rapier108
We should be spending some of the budget surplus on backing adding two more reactors, either AP1000s or ESBWRs at both Comanche Peak and the South Texas Project.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
El_duderino
AP300's were recently revealed, fraction of the cost of the big ap1000, and can go 3-6 years between refueling
Psycho Bunny
atmtws said:

*Turns AC down to 68
Mine is at 64
Bird Poo
AG
El_duderino said:

AP300's were recently revealed, fraction of the cost of the big ap1000, and can go 3-6 years between refueling
Can you explain like I'm 12 year old?
Aggies2009
AG
Rapier108 said:

Democrats are hoping and praying (to Molech) that the grid collapses.

Yep. They openly cheered for COVID because it gave them an excuse to say "look what trump did". They want people to suffer because the ends (people voting their way) justify the means to them.
hunterntexas
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

atmtws said:

*Turns AC down to 68
Mine is at 64
You two are horrible. We have to do our part. I'll turn mine up to 70 while at work, but it has to go back down for bedtime.
El_duderino
Newly designed smaller nuke. Cost to build expected to be 85% less. Online as baseload generation for about 4 years between being taken offline for refueling.

That's my knowledge of it from my google skills
Furlock Bones
AG
wind currently generating 26% of its capacity.
solar generating 62% of its capacity

wind is often useless for high heat events like this.
NoahAg
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Just out of curiosity, has the energy chaos of the last few years caused anybody to buy or consider buying solar panels + a battery wall? I lost power for almost a week during the February 2022 mega freeze and never again want to be a slave to the whims of the idiots running these things, so we're buying some to become grid independent.
No. Not at all. I did get a generator though.
NoahAg
Furlock Bones said:

wind currently generating 26% of its capacity.
solar generating 62% of its capacity

wind is often useless for high heat events like this.
LOL @ solar. If it can't get over 62 right now, that's all you need to know about how useless it is in terms of generating significant amounts of energy.
One Louder
AG
NoahAg said:

Just out of curiosity, has the energy chaos of the last few years caused anybody to buy or consider buying solar panels + a battery wall? I lost power for almost a week during the February 2022 mega freeze and never again want to be a slave to the whims of the idiots running these things, so we're buying some to become grid independent.
No. Not at all. I did get a generator though.

We got solar years ago to combat the city of College Station's ever-rising utility rates. We took advantage of the federal rebates to pay for them. There have been some months where we have a credit balance on our electric bill.

A year after we bought the solar, we bought two Tesla batteries (also using rebates) and they saved our butts during the freeze. We never lost power while our neighbors were out for days off-and-on.
texag84
AG
A/C down to 68 and pool chiller set on 82

Enjoy the summer!
GeorgiAg
AG
I don't miss that Texas heat.

If y'all would just get rid of them cows and start eating bug meat, it'd cure all this global warming!! (j/k. I will take up arms before i give up beef).
Psycho Bunny
GeorgiAg said:

If y'all would just get rid of them cows and start eating bug meat, it'd cure all this global warming!! (j/k. I will take up arms before i give up beef).
Yeah cause Georgia weather is any better in June. Not looking forward to having to travel to Georgia in September for an outdoor wedding. Outdoor weddings in the south should be a crime against humanity.
Seabreeze
Why do they always ask the residents? What about the Wal-Marts, Targets, chain restaurants?
Buck Turgidson

We bought a generac big enough to power everything in the house about a year ago and its already been used about three times. The electricity just goes out sometimes.

BTW my wife & I both work from home now and the kids are home on summer break. We aren't going without AC. Now if they could keep the freaking internet on consistently we'd be golden. For some reason last year the internet would go out every afternoon once it got over 100 degrees.
JB!98
AG
Seabreeze said:

Why do they always ask the residents? What about the Wal-Marts, Targets, chain restaurants?
They are curtailing, but they are getting paid. I know for a fact that Wal-Mart and HEB in certain metro area in Texas would curtail a combined 5-6MW when called probably higher now. Of course they were compensated at around $73MW for it. If you look at market prices right now it is running about $4800 per MWH.
doubledog
As has been said. I am doing my part to conserve electricity. I am driving a conventional gasoline car.
Houstonag
AG
We simply need more nukes for base load central generation. Like some others on this board are in the know. Me too in the know.

Solar and wind is cosmetic at best and will never be sufficient for hot summers across the nation. Not just Texas but the entire nation.
GeorgiAg
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

GeorgiAg said:

Yeah cause Georgia weather is any better in June. Not looking forward to having to travel to Georgia in September for an outdoor wedding. Outdoor weddings in the south should be a crime against humanity.

What part of Georgia? Yeah September is still kinda humid here We actually have a HIGH of 73 in ATL tomorrow. WTF. It's 69 now. Crazy weather.
Buck Turgidson
BTW, I don't know how long the solar/battery combo can power a house including AC, freezers, refrigerators, etc. How many hours can the battery power your house before they run out and need charging? Do they get you through the night and recharge each day?
bangobango
AG

Bought a generator a few years ago during 2021 blackouts from the cold because we were without energy for three days.

I haven't cranked it up in two years, though, so probably doesn't work anymore.
bam02
AG
Squadron7 said:

Ted Lasso told us that A/C is a privilege; not a right.

While flying home in a First Class pod.

Well it's definitely not a right. He got that part correct.
CrackerJackAg
AG
45-70Ag said:

I refused a smart thermostat, they can get bent.

Don't buy a consumer thermostat. Get a system that runs on private servers/locally. Crestron/Savant etc…

You get what you pay for.
Psycho Bunny
GeorgiAg said:

Psycho Bunny said:

GeorgiAg said:

What part of Georgia? Yeah September is still kinda humid here We actually have a HIGH of 73 in ATL tomorrow. WTF. It's 69 now. Crazy weather.
Dahlonega is where the wedding will be held. I'm only really going because of the food and booze.
GeorgiAg
AG
Psycho Bunny said:

GeorgiAg said:

Psycho Bunny said:

GeorgiAg said:

Dahlonega is where the wedding will be held. I'm only really going because of the food and booze.

Dahlonega in September may not be bad. It's way above the gnat line and at the base of the Appalachians.
Seabreeze
Liberal Biden loving neighbors conserving appropriately. Fan blowing on high, water bouncing house. No kids in sight since 1 pm.
Bondag
AG

Why would I do that? Natural gas generator I would consider, but solar or battery wall would be worthless in that situation after a few hours.
MarathonAg12
I just plugged in everything I could to my electrical outlets and turned them on

**** the system
bam02
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

I just plugged in everything I could to my electrical outlets and turned them on

**** the system

I understand you are trying to sound like a badass, but that's just pretty dumb.
MarathonAg12
Just plugged in my lava lamp after that comment
FamousAgg
jrdaustin said:

aggie93 said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory when the temps get above 105 that they ask people to voluntarily use less power.
This. They'll get people to voluntary conserve to the extent that they can. Beyond that, they'll shed load on a circuit basis.

The limit is the limit. When usage approaches capacity they'll shed load.

And a note of warning from a person in the know... Don't rely on current capacity numbers. Much of the available capacity we see on the grid right now is 70+ years old held together by duct tape and bailing wire and we're at the beginning of the season. By August, a significant percentage of the coal and gas capacity will go offline. Happens every year.

What part of the grid is 70 years old?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.