OFFICIAL ****Donald Trump versus Ron DeSantis*** thread...

426,305 Views | 9100 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by astros4545
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dan Scott said:

It's so silly. Trump couldn't negotiate with Nancy Pelosi took the credit for shutting down the country and got nothin He was afraid to fire Fauci because he feared the media. When BLM is burning federal buildings he blames Barr for not going after them even though Barr works for Trump and Trump could have fired him.

All that and I'm supposed to believe Trump could have negotiated with Jefferson Davis. The guy is delusional.
well in reality, sure 985,000 Americans died over a 4 year Civil War, but Trump is so great that he easily could have gotten them to stop fighting.

I'm sure Stephen Douglas, Judah P. Benjamin, Salmon P. Chase all when hearing this news in heaven exclaim:

"why didn't we think of Trump's plan!!"

just when you think Trump plumbs the depths of utter ignorance, he drops it another level lower. and his listless vessels are exclaiming "yeah, Trump is better than Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan!"
BigBrother
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TRM said:

This will be interesting to watch if they can get something trained and working. The response rate for phone calls just isn't there anymore.

I'll wait until our resident poll experts have weighed in to give their seal of approval.
This is hard data. The data is all that we have. Beep Boop. #PollTrollBot
J. Walter Weatherman
FL_Ag1998 said:

TRM said:

This will be interesting to watch if they can get something trained and working. The response rate for phone calls just isn't there anymore.

I'll wait until our resident poll experts have weighed in to give their seal of approval.

Clearly this poll is invalid because it doesn't have Trump ahead by enough /polltrolls.
LMCane
FL_Ag1998 said:

Dan Scott said:

It's so silly. Trump couldn't negotiate with Nancy Pelosi took the credit for shutting down the country and got nothin He was afraid to fire Fauci because he feared the media. When BLM is burning federal buildings he blames Barr for not going after them even though Barr works for Trump and Trump could have fired him.

All that and I'm supposed to believe Trump could have negotiated with Jefferson Davis. The guy is delusional.

Wrong. His hard-core supporters are delusional. Trump may or may not believe what he's spouting, but he does know that it doesn't matter. What matters is that his ardent supporters are delusional enough to believe whatever he spouts, send him money, and continue to support his new line of business - politics.
in this case it's not delusion

it's flat out ignorance

is there ANYONE in this country that believes Donald J. Trump has read a book on the origins of the Civil War?!?

is there ANYONE who believes that if asked, Trump could discuss the Lincoln/Douglas debates? or explain when Virginia seceded and why?

I can guarantee that Trump would never be able to answer this question: how many states were there in the Confederacy and how many border states maintained slavery?
FireAg
AG
You realize that 99% of America doesn't know or care about the origins of the Civil War, right?

They can tell you who won the last 5 seasons of The Voice, though…

One place where DeSantis has failed is not knowing his audience…. He doesn't connect well with those he needs to get elected…
Tibbers
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

You realize that 99% of America doesn't know or care about the origins of the Civil War, right?

One place where DeSantis has failed is not knowing his audience…. He doesn't connect well with those he needs to get elected…
So Trump makes a completely ignorant and frankly offensive statement about the Civil War (and I can assure you more than 1% of the population understands the origins of the Civil War), and your response is that DeSantis doesn't know his audience and can't connect with people?

Well I will agree with you that DeSantis isn't able to come up with completely idiotic and ignorant statements and get his supporters to not only excuse it but blame his opponent.
FireAg
AG
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

So Trump makes a completely ignorant and frankly offensive statement about the Civil War (and I can assure you more than 1% of the population understands the origins of the Civil War), and your response is that DeSantis doesn't know his audience and can't connect with people?

Well I will agree with you that DeSantis isn't able to come up with completely idiotic and ignorant statements and get his supporters to not only excuse it but blame his opponent.
If DeSantis could connect with people better, he would be more competitive in this primary race...

But alas...he isn't...

The proof is in the pudding...
LMCane
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

I love how the Trumpers revel in their own ignorance.

that says everything one has to know about their organization.

it's laughable to believe that 99% of Americans don't understand why there was an American Civil War.

There have been 16,000 books and articles published on Lincoln

125 books on the Lincoln Assassination alone[5]more than any other American.[6]

Yeah, no one except Trump understands the Civil War
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

If DeSantis could connect with people better, he would be more competitive in this primary race...

But alas...he isn't...

Well we will start finding out in a week about how competitive DeSantis is.

That said it has ZERO to do with the point made. It's simply you trying to deflect for Trump from his idiotic statement. So do you think Trump would have negotiated a peaceful resolution and avoided the Civil War as he claims then?
J. Walter Weatherman
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

But alas...he isn't...

Correlation without causation. Not sure anyone could overcome Trump's connection with idiots, who unfortunately still make up a large percentage of the primary electorate.
aggie93
AG
This is a great reminder from Massie about Jan 6 protestors. Trump wasn't considering pardons for them, he was emphatically wanting them all prosecuted and "To those who broke the law, you will pay!" Why? Trump was doing what he always does, trying to cover his own ass. It was only later on he drummed up the sympathy for the protestors but of course that has never translated to actually doing anything to help them other than a bit of lip service. He has not promised to pardon them if elected to my knowledge either even though DeSantis has for non violent offenders and he has said he will conduct a review for any violent offenders to make sure they got fair treatment.

Oh, and Julie Kelly does upside down backflips to find ways to try to absolve Trump from any blame while trying to find any way she can to blame DeSantis for this even though he had zero to do with Jan 6. She constantly talks about how many Jan 6 folks are from Florida as if DeSantis can do something about people arrested on Federal charges as Governor.

TRM
AG
Loomer planning more disruptions.
Rapier108
TRM said:

Trump & Co. only appeal to the lower common denominator. MAGA loves this kind of behavior, and the rest of the country finds it a turnoff.

He has no desire to actually win the votes of the people who will decide the election. Either he is delusional and actually thinks that MAGA is 90% of the country, or he knows deep down he has no chance, but he just has to continue the grift one last time.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FireAg
AG
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

But alas...he isn't...

That said it has ZERO to do with the point made. It's simply you trying to deflect for Trump from his idiotic statement. So do you think Trump would have negotiated a peaceful resolution and avoided the Civil War as he claims then?
Ugh...I'm not trying to deflect *****..

Trump made a stupid statement...news flash..he makes a TON of stupid statements...

New Flash #2 (and try to pay attention here)...the majority of R voters nationally (and by majority, I truly mean >50%) don't give two ****s that he makes stupid statements...

News Flash #3 (and this where I think a lot of y'all are being hypocritical, and I will also state this is the category of voter that I am going to fall into, and you too are admittedly going to fall into)...the vast majority of R voters realize Trump makes a lot of dumb comments, yet they will hold their collective noses and vote FOR him next November...

So, in summary...Trump says a lot fo dumb *****..but when the rubber meets the road next November, millions upon millions of people will still vote for him...

That's not commentary on Trump...that's commentary (and frankly, an indictment) on what our society has become...

The DeSantis approaches to this primary shows that he doesn't get that, or at the very least, he isn't willing to cater to that... Good for him! He stands by his convictions! Love it!

It still isn't going to get him elected this time...
Old May Banker
AG
Quote:

Can these people be any lower rent?

As noted above by the poll expert, it's more important to appeal to the lowest common denominator than to have intelligent conversation about actually advancing conservative principles.

That's where we are as a country and why it isn't sustainable.
aggie93
AG
TRM said:

Best part about that is Trump does everything possible to avoid answering any questions he doesn't like.

The second best part is that any questions from Loomer or her supporters are deranged stuff. I wonder if she wants someone to ask Casey about faking her cancer or DeSantis about killing his sister?

The third best part is watching Trump supporters try to deny Loomer is extremely close to Trump and is almost certainly acting on his orders.

She's going to make a great Press Secretary for him.
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

But alas...he isn't...

Trump made a stupid statement...news flash..he makes a TON of stupid statements...

New Flash #2 (and try to pay attention here)...the majority of R voters nationally (and by majority, I truly mean >50%) don't give two ****s that he makes stupid statements...

News Flash #3 (and this where I think a lot of y'all are being hypocritical, and I will also state this is the category of voter that I am going to fall into, and you too are admittedly going to fall into)...the vast majority of R voters realize Trump makes a lot of dumb comments, yet they will hold their collective noses and vote FOR him next November...

So, in summary...Trump says a lot fo dumb *****..but when the rubber meets the road next November, millions upon millions of people will still vote for him...

That's not commentary on Trump...that's commentary (and frankly, an indictment) on what our society has become...

The DeSantis approaches to this primary shows that he doesn't get that, or at the very least, he isn't willing to cater to that... Good for him! He stands by his convictions! Love it!

That is a much better statement and more clearly expresses your opinion. The problem is that if your initial response to anything negative about Trump is "DeSantis can't connect with people" and inevitably goes back to polls. It's designed to shut down any conversation and isn't productive. It's meant to demoralize people and focus on inevitability of Trump while ignoring his many flaws.
TRM
AG
People who actually meet DeSantis, feel like he makes a connection FWIW.
J. Walter Weatherman
TRM said:

People who actually meet DeSantis, feel like he makes a connection FWIW.

His success in Florida would also point to this being a uniquely Trump-centric problem, and one that won't go away until Trump goes away.
ttu_85
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

But alas...he isn't...

That is a much better statement and more clearly expresses your opinion. The problem is that if your initial response to anything negative about Trump is "DeSantis can't connect with people" and inevitably goes back to polls. It's designed to shut down any conversation and isn't productive. It's meant to demoralize people and focus on inevitability of Trump while ignoring his many flaws.
In other words simplistic propaganda to shut down critical thinking to promote the herd.
LMCane
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

But alas...he isn't...

Actually I have no doubt that Trump would have avoided the Civil War.

of course, as a result of his "compromise" there would now be 12 million slaves in the United States.
FireAg
AG
That's because some of you on here have your damn blinders on, and if someone notes anything critical or negative of DeSanits, "well sure as *****..they must be a Trumper!!!"

It's simply not true, but a lot of you refuse to believe it...

From the 30,000' level, this is what DeSantis faced coming into this, and I said it at the beginning, and it sure seems to have played out exactly as I feared/predicted...

Trump isn't the "incumbent", but he is getting incumbent-level treatment from the averag R voter...the polling numbers show this (yes, y'all hate polls...I get it...but if you look at trends in this R cycle for non-incumbents and compare them to past R primary cycles, Trump polls "like an incumbent" for the most part)...

Trump also has a huge echo chamber that was going to be diffiecult to be heard in unless DeSantis could grab some serious headlines...

DeSantis has run a campaign based on "steak", with little attention to "sizzle"... It starte day 1 on his failed Twitter campaign launch...a significant amount of press-annaouncements and such to build up to the big announcement...where we were hoping to see some "sizzle" that caught voters' attention so that they would listen to the "steak"...the platform failed, and his big announcement was a flop...

Since then, there has been no "sizzle" to catch the eye of Average Joe Republican Voter... And though you and I may not like it, and we can pontificate ad nauseum as to how foolish it is to not give attention to the "steak" that Desantis's leadership likely brings, the fact of the matter is, in this backward society...you need to flash some "sizzle" to catch their eye, or you will be lost in the echo chamber...

I said it back then, and it has proven out through this process...doesn't mean I like it or support it, but that is the inertia DeSantis faced, and he has been unable to reverse it...
BigBrother
AG
FireAg said:

That's because some of you on here have your damn blinders on, and if someone notes anything critical or negative of DeSanits, "well sure as *****..they must be a Trumper!!!"

From the 30,000' level, this is what DeSantis faced coming into this, and I said it at the beginning, and it sure seems to have played out exactly as I feared/predicted...

Trump isn't the "incumbent", but he is getting incumbent-level treatment from the averag R voter...the polling numbers show this (yes, y'all hate polls...I get it...but if you look at trends in this R cycle for non-incumbents and compare them to past R primary cycles, Trump polls "like an incumbent" for the most part)...

Trump also has a huge echo chamber that was going to be diffiecult to be heard in unless DeSantis could grab some serious headlines...

DeSantis has run a campaign based on "steak", with little attention to "sizzle"... It starte day 1 on his failed Twitter campaign launch...a significant amount of press-annaouncements and such to build up to the big announcement...where we were hoping to see some "sizzle" that caught voters' attention so that they would listen to the "steak"...the platform failed, and his big announcement was a flop...

Since then, there has been no "sizzle" to catch the eye of Average Joe Republican Voter... And though you and I may not like it, and we can pontificate ad nauseum as to how foolish it is to not give attention to the "steak" that Desantis's leadership likely brings, the fact of the matter is, in this backward society...you need to flash some "sizzle" to catch their eye, or you will be lost in the echo chamber...

I said it back then, and it has proven out through this process...doesn't mean I like it or support it, but that is the inertia DeSantis faced, and he has been unable to reverse it...
Weird how you haven't even commented on the positive poll for him above.
LMCane
Good thing Trump is discussing water and it's effect on magnets! Very important to the lives of all Americans!

LMCane
BigBrother said:

FireAg said:

Weird how you haven't even commented on the positive poll for him above.

Weird how every post he makes somehow shows Trump always with an insurmountable lead,

and how DeSantis is just not able to ever win the primary because of his numerous flaws..all while claiming to be a DeSantis supporter.

weird!
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

Ok, you have made that point about 100 times. What you haven't explained is what that has to do with Trump saying he would have negotiated us out of the Civil War outside of "Trump says dumb things" and then criticizing DeSantis campaign again out of the blue which has nothing to do with Trump's comment.

Your answer to everything is to talk about polls or to criticize DeSantis' campaign. That's fine but don't be surprised when you continue to get called out on it.

I'm fine with folks supporting Trump but I am going to do my best to make sure they understand what they are supporting and what they are choosing not to support. Poll numbers and campaign quality are irrelevant to that. My days of carrying water for Trump are over, he can stand on his own and his own words.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
FireAg
AG
Why is that "weird"? It's only "weird" because you have a false, pre-conceived notion about where I am coming from...

I don't embrace your narrative, so I "must be a Trumper"...you're one of those I am referring to...you hear what you want to hear, but you don't actually listen to what I have been saying all along...

To that poll specifically...it's an interesting data point...but it is just one data point... Further, as the author readily admits, it is the first ever of its kind...

Could their algorithm turn out to be the "Holy Grail" of polling? Sure as **** could...but it will require multiple iterations of accurate forecasts to be considered a well-established poll...

The beauty of the RCP and 538 forecasts is that they are based on an average of polls...not any single poll, and they both readily admit they missed on 2016 because the algorithms being used in the polling at that time were over-sampling Ds in the national and state polls during the general election...for which MANY (if not most) polling entities adjusted their alogrithms to remove much of the D-bias... So, I have been making my conclusions based on an AVERAGE of MULTIPLE polls, not simply one single poll...

Further, and as it relates to THIS poll you want so desperately for me to aknowledge, I actually think that THIS poll is picking up on precisely what I have been saying, if you had paid attention (which you haven't been)...

I think the margin of vicotry for Trump in Iowa will be significantly LESS than what the current Iowa polling averages show...and I think the poll you are noting is absolutely an indication of that...

But what I don't believe is that the polling averages are >33 points off... I believe they could actually be as much as 20 points off (which would be absolutely unprecedented in Iowa on caucus day), but even if they are that far off, it doesn't change the fact that Trump still wins...

So I think Iowa is going to be a lot closer than the polling averages indicate...and I have said that repeatedly...I just don't think it matters with regard to the ultimate outcome...

And if I am wrong, and DeSantis pulls out a seeming "miracle", then yahoo! Way to go Ron! He still looks like he will get his clock cleaned in NH, SC, and Nevada... What I DO think an Iowa win would do for him is give him enough momentum to make it through Super Tuesday and see where the cards fall then...without an Iowa win, though...I think his campaign is in hospice care for the 2024 cycle...
FireAg
AG
Bud...NO ONE CARES what Trump said about negotiating us out of the Civil War...

THAT is my point...

That line of dialog means Jack *****t to Average Joe Republican Voter...

AJRV sees one thing right now...their life was better from 2016-2020 (even with the Covid crap) than it is today...

They want to go back to what they had then, because in their mind, that's a "good win" (whether you or I agree with that line of thinking or not)...

Who could "negotiate the Civil War'? Tell me...how does that address the fact that milk and gasoline are competing daily for which is more expensive per gallon (right now, milk is WINNING the "stupidly priced" award thanks, in part, to gas trying to compete for the "stupildy priced" award)?

People care about what's in (and not in) their wallets...that has zero to do with some stupid Civil War negotiation argument...
aggiehawg
AG
Hmm. Problems in Nikki Land?

FireAg
AG
Her momentum has slowed in Iowa…she had a boost for a bit but definitely leveled off the last two weeks…

Her momentum is nationally and along East Coast right now…
aggiehawg
AG
FireAg said:

Her momentum has slowed in Iowa…she had a boost for a bit but definitely leveled off the last two weeks…

Her momentum is nationally and along East Coast right now…
And having an empty diner at the time when people would be there eating breakfast anyway?

YIKES!
FireAg
AG
I think she's conceding Iowa, which is why when she started tightening the gap between her and DeSantis in Iowa, I think she was a bit surprised herself…she really seemed to benefit from the debates more than anyone…
aggiehawg
AG
FireAg said:

I think she's conceding Iowa, which is why when she started tightening the gap between her and DeSantis in Iowa, I think she was a bit surprised herself…she really seemed to benefit from the debates more than anyone…
I would not say she's conceding as much as mindful that her appearing at an empty diner is bad optics.
FireAg
AG
Oh for sure…but my point is that I don't think she invested a lot of capital in Iowa to begin with…that she closed that gap big time caught her off guard…
First Page Last Page
Page 238 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.