OFFICIAL ****Donald Trump versus Ron DeSantis*** thread...

425,175 Views | 9100 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by astros4545
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

Where does he stand on the debt ceiling, and does he have the testicular fortitude to shut down the government, federal employees be damned, to get debt spending under control?
No way to prove that of course but his track record is damn near flawless. His Lifetime rating from the ACU in Congress was 99.36% (he voted on a Hurricane Relief Bill to "ruin" his perfect record). He helped found the Freedom Caucus. He was one of the VERY few Republicans that opposed Paul Ryan as Speaker primarily over reasons like this. He held himself to Term Limits. He refused a Congressional Pension even though he is not a wealthy man. Then of course his economic record in Florida is incredible and they are not only running big surpluses while operating at half the budget of NY with better results he has been paying down their debt to the point where it could be completely gone in the next few years. He certainly has shown he is willing to stand up for what he believes when it comes to Disney and Covid among other things.

There literally is not much else he could possibly do to prove himself as sincere and capable.
The debt limit increases need to stop...federal employee jobs be damned...

I want a President who has the balls to do this and not cave to pressure...no matter how ugly it gets...

Have you seen anything about Desantis in the news over the past 2-3 years? That should answer any questions you have about his fortitude. And if it doesn't then I'm sorry but you're not truly, honestly open to considering him no matter what you moght post.
LMCane
FireAg said:

LMCane said:

Even Biden if he wanted to (and he would have a lot of pressure from his left NEVER to pardon Trump)

even he can't pardon Trump for these Georgia indictments.

Even Governor Kemp can't pardon Trump

(not that he would want to either after Trump has literally campaigned against him and slanders him at every opportunity)

It certainly seems this Atlanta arrest will be Trump's most dangerous and have the best chance of sending him to jail.
Regardless of what we think of them, sending a POTUS to jail should not be something any of us celebrate...

Awfully dangerous precedents we are setting as a country...

and another point on this

IF Trump had put the Republic before his own ego, selfish narcissism and had decided to fight these charges and support another candidate...

I would totally back him 100%

but since he is Trump, and puts his own desires ahead of the Republican party and more importantly ahead of the Country- then I could care less what happens to him.

which is ACTUALLY A REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVE approach.

we aren't the Japanese who deify their god Emperor.

we are a constitutional republic where no man is above the law, and we bow down to no one.
FireAg
AG
LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

Even Biden if he wanted to (and he would have a lot of pressure from his left NEVER to pardon Trump)

(not that he would want to either after Trump has literally campaigned against him and slanders him at every opportunity)

It certainly seems this Atlanta arrest will be Trump's most dangerous and have the best chance of sending him to jail.
Regardless of what we think of them, sending a POTUS to jail should not be something any of us celebrate...

Eh, plenty of other countries have leaders who have been sentenced to jail, had their heads cut off, forced into exile.

and they are still democracies.

it's not the end of the world.

isn't that what "NO MAN IS ABOVE THE LAW" is supposed to mean?!
I see...so making up crimes and committing blatant "lawfare" is acceptable in our country now?

You do realize that this type of behavior is completely unregulated and could be used against any president, at any time, moving forward, right?

That's the way we want to run our country now?

Seems like an awfully slippery slope to me...
LarryElder
LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

Eh, plenty of other countries have leaders who have been sentenced to jail, had their heads cut off, forced into exile.

Is this satire ? Hardest working Trump hater in the business

LMBarnes
TRM
AG
Wrong thread
LMCane
CREAg87 said:

Is that pic shopped or AI? If not, Trump looks even wore than I thought.
it's shopped.

he isn't that fat yet.
FireAg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

Where does he stand on the debt ceiling, and does he have the testicular fortitude to shut down the government, federal employees be damned, to get debt spending under control?
No way to prove that of course but his track record is damn near flawless. His Lifetime rating from the ACU in Congress was 99.36% (he voted on a Hurricane Relief Bill to "ruin" his perfect record). He helped found the Freedom Caucus. He was one of the VERY few Republicans that opposed Paul Ryan as Speaker primarily over reasons like this. He held himself to Term Limits. He refused a Congressional Pension even though he is not a wealthy man. Then of course his economic record in Florida is incredible and they are not only running big surpluses while operating at half the budget of NY with better results he has been paying down their debt to the point where it could be completely gone in the next few years. He certainly has shown he is willing to stand up for what he believes when it comes to Disney and Covid among other things.

There literally is not much else he could possibly do to prove himself as sincere and capable.
The debt limit increases need to stop...federal employee jobs be damned...

I want a President who has the balls to do this and not cave to pressure...no matter how ugly it gets...

Have you seen anything about Desantis in the news over the past 2-3 years? That should answer any questions you have about his fortitude. And if it doesn't then I'm sorry but you're not truly, honestly open to considering him no matter what you moght post.
How many times do you need me to spell this out for you?

I intend to vote DeSantis in the Texas Primary, assuming he is still relevant at that time...

I question whether or not he will be relevant...

If you can't practice simple reading comprehension, and/or you choose to question my integrity and/or call me a liar, then that's on you...but be careful who you claim is being liar...

You know zero about me or my character...

Everyone does their conservative thing before the get inside the loop...my point is...I am hoping this is a man who will actually STICK to it...
FireAg
AG
LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

IF Trump had put the Republic before his own ego, selfish narcissism and had decided to fight these charges and support another candidate...

but since he is Trump, and puts his own desires ahead of the Republican party and more importantly ahead of the Country- then I could care less what happens to him.

we are a constitutional republic where no man is above the law, and we bow down to no one.
Regardless of what you think of the man, NO AMERICAN should be forced to defend themselves from "lawfare"...

What is being done now, at the expense of taxpayers, is not only wasteful, it's treasonous...
LMCane
FireAg said:

LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

I see...so making up crimes and committing blatant "lawfare" is acceptable in our country now?

You do realize that this type of behavior is completely unregulated and could be used against any president, at any time, moving forward, right?

We are in agreement on that point.

but what you don't seem to understand, is that the LEFT HAS DONE THIS FOR CENTURIES

you think suddenly Schumer thought up, "you know what, the other GOP candidates were great but we really have to just stop Trump!!"

This is why the failed educational system in the USA destroys Republicans.

they were LITERALLY drawing Abraham Lincoln as a monkey in national newspapers, and he was shot in the head by a conspiracy.

you think things are bad now?!?!

the problem is the Trump backers have an institutional memory like a gnat. "Oh they are going after the President!!! We can't let that happen!!"

as if they never heard of what the left did to Ronald Reagan, or George W Bush.

For CENTURIES worldwide leftists acted and said anything to gain power. The only difference is now we have Republicans too stupid to realize that ELECTING SMARTER AND STRONGER candidates who can defend themselves is the answer.

the answer is not committing suicide on the SS Trump.
FireAg
AG
LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

We are in agreement on that point.

but what you don't seem to understand, is that the LEFT HAS DONE THIS FOR CENTURIES

you think suddenly Schumer thought up, "you know what, the other GOP candidates were great but we really have to just stop Trump!!"

This is why the failed educational system in the USA destroys Republicans.

they were LITERALLY drawing Abraham Lincoln as a monkey in national newspapers, and he was shot in the head by a conspiracy.

you think things are bad now?!?!

the problem is the Trump backers have an institutional memory like a gnat. "Oh they are going after the President!!! We can't let that happen!!"

as if they never heard of what the left did to Ronald Reagan, or George W Bush.

For CENTURIES worldwide leftists acted and said anything to gain power. The only difference is now we have Republicans too stupid to realize that ELECTING SMARTER AND STRONGER candidates who can defend themselves is the answer.

the answer is not committing suicide on the SS Trump.
The answer may not have a political solution...

The Left is playing with fire on this deal...people scoff at a violent discourse ever occurring again in our Union...keep this **** up, and just see what happens...
TRM
AG
I think he's willing to shut down the government. He was talking about how non-essential workers don't work doing shutdowns and openly questioned why the government even has non-essential workers.
LMCane
Old May Banker said:

No man can outrun father time.... he catches up to all at different ages, but anyone pretending an 80 year old is immune from it is disingenuous at best.
it is truly unbelievable that ANY American would consider voting for someone over the age of 75.

that's truly insane

at age 52 I sometimes forget things!! and Biden and Trump are literally a quarter CENTURY older to play the role the most powerful leaders on the planet!

we are so screwed.
Phatbob
AG
FireAg said:

LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

Regardless of what you think of the man, NO AMERICAN should be forced to defend themselves from "lawfare"...

What is being done now, at the expense of taxpayers, is not only wasteful, it's treasonous...
While I agree, what exactly did we expect to come from "Lock her up!". Trump has been playing with fire from the beginning (not trying to imply anything personally to you, btw). The left took him literally, and they made sure they were going to beat him to it. I am not saying Hillary doesn't deserve to be in prison, or that it is right for the left to be prosecuting him, but he's the one who told everyone he was starting a shootout with a gang, and then put his single 6-shooter that he brought in the holster once he got to the corral.
FireAg
AG
TRM said:

I think he's willing to shut down the government. He was talking about how non-essential workers don't work doing shutdowns and openly questioned why the government even has non-essential workers.
I like a President who will shut it down...

I will also vote for a Congress not afraid to shut it down...
FireAg
AG
Phatbob said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

While I agree, what exactly did we expect to come from "Lock her up!". Trump has been playing with fire from the beginning (not trying to imply anything personally to you, btw). The left took him literally, and they made sure they were going to beat him to it. I am not saying Hillary doesn't deserve to be in prison, or that it is right for the left to be prosecuting him, but he's the one who told everyone he was starting a shootout with a gang, and then put his single 6-shooter that he brought in the holster once he got to the corral.
Here's the difference...Clinton committed actual crimes...

Trump didn't...

The Clintons should be in jail for an array of things, from Whitewater to Epstein's Island...

Why do we, on the Right, allow the Left to ignore the laws when the Left break them, and make up the laws so as to punish the Right...

Again, this isn't a "Trump" issue...this is an issue of outright treason...
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

Phatbob said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

FireAg said:

LMCane said:

Here's the difference...Clinton committed actual crimes...

Trump didn't...

The Clintons should be in jail for an array of things, from Whitewater to Epstein's Island...

Why do we, on the Right, allow the Left to ignore the laws when the Left break them, and make up the laws so as to punish the Right...

Again, this isn't a "Trump" issue...this is an issue of outright treason...
Technically I think Trump likely did commit a few crimes but they are not the type of crimes that would normally be prosecuted and they are definitely of the nature of if you put enough investigators with an unlimited budget looking for a crime they can find one. That's especially true because Trump is so freaking disorganized and careless in his speech and actions.

IOW, it's definitely a witch hunt but they likely caught Trump jaywalking. The problem is that if he did commit a crime, no matter how ridiculous it may seem, that is going to destroy everything else credibility wise. Not with his strong supporters of course but with the general public that is really tired of Trump anyway.

The answer is reform of the system before it all burns down though that may be inevitable. I really hope not though because I don't think most people really understands how bad that could get.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Ag with kids
AG
FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

From Rolling Stone...

Quote:

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES LIKE to distinguish themselves from their rivals, and while it's common for prospective nominees to highlight their stance on issues like the economy and national defense, it's rare that a candidate comes out in support of shutting down the government.
On Tuesday, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis did just that. During an interview with Newsmax, DeSantis said he would support a federal government shutdown an event that would cripple government services from Medicare to national parks to air traffic control in order to curb spending.
"Spending is out of control," DeSantis said in response to a question about whether he supports a government shutdown. "I think the reason why it has gotten to this point is because Republicans are so worried of 'a government shutdown.' First of all, the government doesn't actually shut down. They take non-essential workers and then they dont work. But why do we have non-essential workers to begin with?"
FireAg
AG
Ag with kids said:

FireAg said:

aggie93 said:

From Rolling Stone...

Quote:

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES LIKE to distinguish themselves from their rivals, and while it's common for prospective nominees to highlight their stance on issues like the economy and national defense, it's rare that a candidate comes out in support of shutting down the government.
On Tuesday, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis did just that. During an interview with Newsmax, DeSantis said he would support a federal government shutdown an event that would cripple government services from Medicare to national parks to air traffic control in order to curb spending.
"Spending is out of control," DeSantis said in response to a question about whether he supports a government shutdown. "I think the reason why it has gotten to this point is because Republicans are so worried of 'a government shutdown.' First of all, the government doesn't actually shut down. They take non-essential workers and then they dont work. But why do we have non-essential workers to begin with?"

If elected, I pray he follows through…
LMCane
DeSantis has gotten to 38 different Iowa counties so far as a candidate

well on his way to the Full Grassley of 99 counties.

how many has Trump visited in the past 6 months?

how many will he visit in the next 6 months?

if DeSantis wins Iowa- it is a completely new ballgame.
TRM
AG
LMCane said:

how many has Trump visited in the past 6 months?
FireAg
AG
LMCane said:

Actually...62.5% of the time, the R winner of the Iowa Caucus has failed to secure the R nomination...

Notable R names who won the Iowa Caucus but did not get the R nomination include:

HW Bush (1980)
Dole (1988)
Huckabee (2008)
Santorum (2012)
Cruz (2016)

Also, it appears that the R winner of the Iowa Caucus goes on to win the general only 12.5% of the time...

And to be fair, the D winner only goes on to win the general 20% of the time...

In fact, the predictive ability of either Iowa or New Hampshire primaries is pretty shaky...

Link
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

LMCane said:

Actually...62.5% of the time, the R winner of the Iowa Caucus has failed to secure the R nomination...

Notable R names who won the Iowa Caucus but did not get the R nomination include:

HW Bush (1980)
Dole (1988)
Huckabee (2008)
Santorum (2012)
Cruz (2016)

Also, it appears that the R winner of the Iowa Caucus goes on to win the general only 12.5% of the time...

And to be fair, the D winner only goes on to win the general 20% of the time...

In fact, the predictive ability of either Iowa or New Hampshire primaries is pretty shaky...

Link
Every election is different. That said in this election Trump is using the inevitability of his nomination as one of his main appeals. If he loses Iowa that certainly changes things. Cruz winning put him in the game and though he ultimately lost that was for a lot of other reasons.

What Trump does not want is to be in a H2H with DeSantis where they have to debate each other and they get even close to equal focus. If that happens I don't know how Trump wins. All of this is 100 if's though, a lot is going to happen in the next 5 months and Trump is scheduled to be in the middle of a trial in the leadup to the Iowa Caucus. Crazy times.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
FireAg
AG
An Iowa win would make DeSantis relevant...no argument there...but would it be "game changing"? I mean, history says, "probably not"...

But it would at least solidify him as a potential threat to Trump...

But frankly, I think a win in South Carolina on Feb 3, followed by a win in Michigan on Feb 27 would be far more "game changing"...

If he has success there, then I look to Georgia's results on Mar 12 to be a real indication of whether or not Trump could remain viable, again assuming a DeSantis win in SoCar and Mich...

All things being equal, I think South Carolina has a high potential to foreshadow the fates of each campaign...
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

An Iowa win would make DeSantis relevant...no argument there...but would it be "game changing"? I mean, history says, "probably not"...

But frankly, I think a win in South Carolina on Feb 3, followed by a win in Michigan on Feb 27 would be far more "game changing"...

If he has success there, then I look to Georgia's results on Mar 12 to be a real indication of whether or not Trump could remain viable, again assuming a DeSantis win in SoCar and Mich...

All things being equal, I think South Carolina has a high potential to foreshadow the fates of each campaign...
I don't see SC as a game changer because you might have Haley and Scott still in the race. Trump should win anyway because it is a state that sets up for him well with a heavy rural, non college educated vote.

Iowa really just determines if there is a real race at all. If Trump crushes DeSantis in Iowa it's probably over. I don't see how DeSantis could recover from that barring something happening to Trump like a heart attack. If DeSantis wins it makes it into a longer race of attrition and that's better for DeSantis. Who really knows though, it's a very unusual cycle and I am expecting the unexpected.

Ronald Reagan
agz win
AG
DeSantis winning Iowa would definitely signal the GOP may finally be curing its ill health.

It will eventually happen, just need it sooner than later.
TRM
AG
The air of inevitability is gone and you'd see more of the middle 50% switch.

Isn't the threshold 10% for the IA caucus l? So those below 10% would need to find someone new to support in round 2. This is where DeSantis would do well.
Charpie
AG
agz win said:

DeSantis winning Iowa would definitely signal the GOP may finally be curing its ill health.

It will eventually happen, just need it sooner than later.
We need courage now to cure the cancer that is trump.
FireAg
AG
TRM said:

The air of inevitability is gone and you'd see more of the middle 50% switch.

Isn't the threshold 10% for the IA caucus l? So those below 10% would need to find someone new to support in round 2. This is where DeSantis would do well.
Just by winning Iowa? I mean, I can see why you would say that, but listen, using Iowa as a "fortune teller" is just not a wise move...

I think a small win/close loss in Iowa followed by at least a strong showing 2+ weeks later in South Carolina (and by strong showing, I mean he either finishes ahead of Trump but loses ultimately to one of the others, or he wins it outright) would be eye-catching...
TRM
AG
SC is 5 weeks after IA and Trump will probably be convicted by then if they keep the Jan. 2nd trial date.

25% is Trump only, 25% is never Trump and 50% are open. At the moment Trump is getting 30%-50% of those open. The key is opening the eyes of that middle 50% that someone else can win. Winning IA is a part, but Sununu doesn't want Trump. NV is weird with a primary and a caucus - caucus will allocate delegates, but winning the primary could give him a symbolic victory. Laxalt, former NV AG-elected position, wants DeSantis.
FireAg
AG
TRM said:

SC is 5 weeks after IA and Trump will probably be convicted by then if they keep the Jan. 2nd trial date.

25% is Trump only, 25% is never Trump and 50% are open. At the moment Trump is getting 30%-50% of those open. The key is opening the eyes of that middle 50% that someone else can win. Winning IA is a part, but Sununu doesn't want Trump. NV is weird with a primary and a caucus - caucus will allocate delegates, but winning the primary could give him a symbolic victory. Laxalt, former NV AG-elected position, wants DeSantis.
I stand corrected...the D side is first week of Feb...the R side is indeed Feb 24...

Still, the biggest R ones prior to Super Tuesday (not named Iowa or New Hampshire) are Nevada (this is that ne "Presidential Preference Primary Election thing...but it's the caucus that does the delegates) on Feb 6, SoCar on Feb 24, and Mich on Feb 27...

I think Nevada will be interesting, but I just feel like SoCar and Mich will give us a good indication of how Super Tuesday plays out...

So my eyes are focused on those...

And to be transparent, obviously, if DeSantis sweeps IA, NH, the NV thing, SoCar, and Mich, then he's gonna be the nominee...

I just don't think, as things stand today, he could sweep SoCar and Mich... I also don't think he sweeps IA and NV...
aggie93
AG
FireAg said:

TRM said:

I stand corrected...the D side is first week of Feb...the R side is indeed Feb 24...

Still, the biggest R ones prior to Super Tuesday (not named Iowa or New Hampshire) are Nevada (this is that ne "Presidential Preference Primary Election thing...but it's the caucus that does the delegates) on Feb 6, SoCar on Feb 24, and Mich on Feb 27...

I think Nevada will be interesting, but I just feel like SoCar and Mich will give us a good indication of how Super Tuesday plays out...

So my eyes are focused on those...

And to be transparent, obviously, if DeSantis sweeps IA, NH, the NV thing, SoCar, and Mich, then he's gonna be the nominee...

I just don't think, as things stand today, he could sweep SoCar and Mich... I also don't think he sweeps IA and NV...
SC is probably the best early state for Trump. He's got the Governor endorsement and Graham. The Demo favors him. Also likely will still have Haley and Scott sucking up the Non Trump vote. On paper that one should be almost impossible for DeSantis to win.

Ronald Reagan
FL_Ag1998
AG
aggie93 said:

FireAg said:

I don't see SC as a game changer because you might have Haley and Scott still in the race. Trump should win anyway because it is a state that sets up for him well with a heavy rural, non college educated vote.

Iowa really just determines if there is a real race at all. If Trump crushes DeSantis in Iowa it's probably over. I don't see how DeSantis could recover from that barring something happening to Trump like a heart attack. If DeSantis wins it makes it into a longer race of attrition and that's better for DeSantis. Who really knows though, it's a very unusual cycle and I am expecting the unexpected.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like Trump has put the most effort into S.C. so far. I think he's either

1) assuming very close losses or very close wins in IA and NH but planning on a big victory in SC to revitalize his campaign and be the turning point for him to take over, or

2) he's totally taking wins in IA and NH for granted and assuming a big victory in SC will put the nails in any remaining competitors coffins.

But SC should absolutely not be considered a do or die or game changer for Desantis unless he's just absolutely stunk it up in IA and NH. In SC you'll have Trump's efforts to date (see above), plus potentially Haley and Scott pulling votes. So SC on paper seems to be the biggest uphill battle for Desantis, IMO, and labeling that as the key to his campaign is almost intentionally setting him up for failure.
Im Gipper

I'm Gipper
Phatbob
AG
Im Gipper said:

Ironically the left will use that as proof of corruption to threaten political opponents. Though we know it's bluster on Trump's part.
aggie93
AG
Im Gipper said:

Sure but before he was held down by the Swamp. He REALLY means it all this time and if you just put all your eggs in his basket and completely trust him it will all be awesome.

Ronald Reagan
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 261

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.