"Assault" Weapons Ban

12,098 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by samurai_science
Quantum Entanglement
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A controversial name in and of itself. We all here know what AR stands for.

Is there a compromise that could be CONSIDERED?

These look scary, but in reality they are powerful rifles due to the ammunition and 20 to 30 count ammo magazines - let's not duck this truth. Whether they are or are not weapons of war is ridiculous because a dude with a 30 ammo magazine and two more on his vest or belt is a menacing functional fact even while not fully automatic. Sure, other setups can be deadly but this is at another level if we are being honest.

Obviously the law can be skirted and bad guys will forever break the law; that is why I dislike gun-free zones.

Should magazine size be limited to 5? You could legislate that only one more 5 count magazine could be on your person. L e g i s l a t e. Would this be an acceptable compromise? Some say heck no because it will be the beginning of more restrictions on the second amendment.

"IF" (and you can't) you could guarantee that this was the last compromise would pro-2nd people agree to it?

Should background checks be done even for those who inherit firearms or are loaned firearms?

Are red flag laws really that troublesome? If there was a mechanism to get your rights back would they be okay?

It seems people are locked into one side or the other but there are people in the middle. It seems to me the problem is with the extremes. Some would ban all guns and others are okay with an alcoholic person with schizophrenia inheriting guns from his pappy because Merica.

What say the rational intelligent people of TexAgs?
nortex97
AG
Yes. Ban assaults. I also support repealing the NFA and abolishing the FBI and ATF legislatively.

Happy to help find middle ground!
AggiePetro07
AG
More laws that a murderer might follow.

Great idea.
DrEvazanPhD
We've been "compromising" since 1934. What else are we supposed to compromise away?
Maroon Dawn
AG

Your argument is entirely invalid
Dan Scott
AG
Texas house committee passed raising the age of buying guns to 21. It now goes to floor for vote. Besides that, I don't think see anything else.
fixer
A $199 12.ga pump action shotgun could have done same or worse damage depending on distance and ammo.

Or even more mundane, a Range Rover.

People are far too hung up on the tool used instead of anything else of real substance.
B-1 83
AG
Why 5? Ever gotten after a sounder of hogs in the open?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Aggie369
AG
We should make it illegal to kill people with anything...not just scary guns. You shouldn't kill anyone with anything....sounds drastic but this is what has to be done
gbaby23
AG
2A and gun ownership is not primarily about hunting, home self defense, or hobbyists. It is about retaining the ability to combat a tyrannical government. Anything less than that is antithetical to the American ideology and way of life. Red flags, limits, background checks, restrictions, etc. are ways and means of the corrupt powers limiting your ability to keep them in check.
UTExan
I will willingly trade my $600 AR for a .357 Korth revolver.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Old May Banker
AG
How 'bout no.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

No
Ellis Wyatt
I won't compromise on ***** If you want my guns, come and take them.
Nitro Power
AG
There is no compromise with the left.

Just curious, have you ever had to deal with nuisance animals, such as wild hogs? My guess is probably not, or you would see the necessity to have a 30 round clip option.

Also, by caliber, there are much much more powerful weapons available. Have you ever heard of an AR10? Probably not.
AggiePetro07
AG
Aggie369 said:

We should make it illegal to kill people with anything...not just scary guns. You shouldn't kill anyone with anything....sounds drastic but this is what has to be done
So simple it just might work!
Quantum Entanglement
A valid point
Kenneth_2003
AG
You want a negotiation?

I'll open the talks on my side with the following offer
A full and unconditional repeal of the NFA of 1934 including all subsequent legislation.
Old May Banker
AG
Remove all of your degenerate behaviors first and you'll find no need for my guns.
MemphisAg1
AG
Laws are for people who follow them.

Murderers don't follow the law.

Why further restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens, who are not the problem in the first place?

Prove to me how more laws will stop people from breaking the law to hurt others. Prove it.

It's already against the law to assault and murder people.

What makes you think new laws will change that?
MouthBQ98
AG
They could start enforcing the laws we have already. As it turns out, a lot of gun crimes wouldn't have happened if the criminals were in prison from their last crime or were properly handled by the legal system and mental health screening and prevented from purchasing. We don't even go that, because while most of the left is shocked and upset by gun crimes, they decide to punish the non-violent lawful gun owners who care about and follow the laws, seemingly out of spite, instead of doing what would work to reduce gun violence.
Hullabaloonatic
Nitro Power said:

Just curious, have you ever had to deal with nuisance animals, such as wild hogs? My guess is probably not, or you would see the necessity to have a 30 round clip option.

Also, by caliber, there are much much more powerful weapons available. Have you ever heard of an AR10? Probably not.
What if ARs were subject to licensing? So a farmer who needs an AR for pest control could apply for an AR license and get one (similar to Australian laws).
Dimebag Darrell
Quantum Entanglement said:

A controversial name in and of itself. We all here know what AR stands for.

These look scary, but in reality they are powerful rifles due to the ammunition and 20 to 30 count ammo magazines - let's not duck this truth. Whether they are or are not weapons of war is ridiculous because a dude with a 30 ammo magazine and two more on his vest or belt is a menacing functional fact even while not fully automatic. Sure, other setups can be deadly but this is at another level if we are being honest.

Obviously the law can be skirted and bad guys will forever break the law; that is why I dislike gun-free zones.

Should magazine size be limited to 5? You could legislate that only one more 5 count magazine could be on your person. L e g i s l a t e. Would this be an acceptable compromise? Some say heck no because it will be the beginning of more restrictions on the second amendment.

"IF" (and you can't) you could guarantee that this was the last compromise would pro-2nd people agree to it?

Should background checks be done even for those who inherit firearms or are loaned firearms?

Are red flag laws really that troublesome? If there was a mechanism to get your rights back would they be okay?

It seems people are locked into one side or the other but there are people in the middle. It seems to me the problem is with the extremes. Some would ban all guns and others are okay with an alcoholic person with schizophrenia inheriting guns from his pappy because Merica.

What say the rational intelligent people of TexAgs?

F no on mag limits. What the pea brained liberals fail to understand is how hard it is to hit moving targets in a chaotic dynamic adrenaline filled environment. If you had a home invasion…let's say POS George Floyd and his 2-3 buddies rush into your house with guns…you are going to want a 30rd mag over 10 or 12 every fuggin time. If not, you're a complete idiot. If several men are moving, good luck neutralizing both with just a standard 10 rd mag.
96ags
AG
If you are truly a professor, these questions are embarrassing for someone with your education.

Plus, each and every silly point you made has been addressed on here ad nauseam.

But my guess is that this is another drive-by post and you won't be back to learn because that is not what you are interested in at all.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
We should start by outlawing murder.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Hullabaloonatic
gbaby23 said:

2A and gun ownership is not primarily about hunting, home self defense, or hobbyists. It is about retaining the ability to combat a tyrannical government. Anything less than that is antithetical to the American ideology and way of life. Red flags, limits, background checks, restrictions, etc. are ways and means of the corrupt powers limiting your ability to keep them in check.
I mean, we already accept certain restrictions. You or I can't buy grenades, rocket launchers, or nuclear bombs, but these are all weapons a 'tyrannical government' will have. So, philosophically, why can't we have the debate on what type of rifle citizens can own without being 'antithetical to the American ideology and way of life?'
Ellis Wyatt
Hullabaloonatic said:

Nitro Power said:

What if ARs were subject to licensing? So a farmer who needs an AR for pest control could apply for an AR license and get one (similar to Australian laws).
No.
TxSquarebody

When you start here, things make sense and stupid ban questions get answered.
The Banned
Every single one of these people are seriously mentally deranged. I know it sounds like a talking point, but the fact that we spend so little time on finding the root cause of the mental health epidemic is what shows me no one really cares. Sure, we'll spend money on the pharmaceuticals because that lines peoples pockets. But where are the studies that seek to figure out why, despite living in the easiest of times in all of human history, are people spiraling into these psychotic places?

We all intuitively know the answer. It's very obvious what the humanistic, materialist worldview has wrought in society. We're just either too well incentivized or too biased to call it for what it is.
CDUB98
AG
Already being discussed here, but you just wanted your own troll
B-1 83
AG
Hullabaloonatic said:

Nitro Power said:

What if "no"? Why can't my neighbor have one for his 12 year old to use as a deer rifle? I have lots of pics of just that. Why just ARs? There are many more powerful rifles with longer range and much greater accuracy. You want to license them, too?

Looks like another "scary looking gun" troll in the works.
RGLAG85
AG
gbaby23 said:

EOT!
B-1 83
AG
Hullabaloonatic said:

gbaby23 said:

I mean, we already accept certain restrictions. You or I can't buy grenades, rocket launchers, or nuclear bombs, but these are all weapons a 'tyrannical government' will have. So, philosophically, why can't we have the debate on what type of rifle citizens can own without being 'antithetical to the American ideology and way of life?'
I mean, when I report for militia duty I will be supplied with those things. Right now, I'll report with my personal, well maintained weapon that meshes quite well with the ammo and "regulation" that militia will also provide. I can also hunt and practice with it as a bonus!
Ag87H2O
AG
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Give the left an inch they will try to take a mile. It isn't hard. The Founding Fathers wanted citizens to have weapons for the preservation of life, liberty, and property, and for self-defense including the ability to defend against tyranny from government. The government doesn't have the authority to violate that right.

Americans that demand the second ammendment be followed aren't asking for a favor. They are demanding their rights be honored. Any shooting, no matter how tragic or sickening or pointless, does not, in fact cannot, change that right.

Individuals with mental problems are the issue, not guns. The exception cannot dictate the rule.
Quantum Entanglement
Or maybe I have good critical thinking skills and am not a sheep. Maybe I'm very pro second amendment and want to unite law abiding citizens; or a troll if I don't 100% agree with you. For the record, I'm considered too pro-gun by 90% of my colleagues and don't fit your box so don't assume.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.